• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears 5 |OT| Rev Up The Lancers, Its Showtime!

Wings 嫩翼翻せ

so it's not nice
Because they’re relying heavily on the servers and the proof is when you play the campaign while offline, you won’t face any issue.

Well as long as they're able to handle the load, I guess... I heard about the offline bit and that's definitely a good thing.

Last edited:

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Fired this up on my PC and played the first mission.

Man, this game is pretty.

The way Gears 5 respects its origins/lore/characters/plot should be an example to Disney on how to handle Star Wars.

I agree, my only complaint is how the game is kind of all over the place with how it treats JD at times.

Like in one scene he's the selfless hero and the next everyone is treating him like a douchebag.

CRAIG667

I agree, my only complaint is how the game is kind of all over the place with how it treats JD at times.

Like in one scene he's the selfless hero and the next everyone is treating him like a douchebag.

If I suddenly found out a friend of mine used the hammer of dawn on an innocent village I'd be treating them differently too!

Hawke502

I agree, my only complaint is how the game is kind of all over the place with how it treats JD at times
keep in mind the game goes through several months, its not like the previous gears that happened in a short period of time, from act I to II you got a jump of 4 months

That abandoned mine area is BULLLLLLLLLLSSSSSHIIIIITTTTTTTTT. Only playing on experienced but that whole area was so damn infuriating solo.

If I suddenly found out a friend of mine used the hammer of dawn on an innocent village I'd be treating them differently too!

I thought that he
only used DeeBees to open fire during a riot, the hammer of dawn usage in settlement 2 was to kill brumak's and there really wasn't any other option.

VAL0R

Banned
He put down a district rebellion that was throwing incendiary (lethal) devices at COG soldiers (?) and things got out of hand and escalated more than he wanted them to.

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
Finished the campaign today and while I wasn't really a big Gears fan before, Gears 5 has made me a believer. It is the best looking game I've played this gen, I love all the new stuff they've added, loved Jack and his upgrades, thought the skiff super cool and the story was awesome.

So far it's my GOTY and it left me impatiently waiting to play Gears 6.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
I need some help regarding the medal veteran hive buster. I've completed 16 hives as Mac, but it still says 0/3 instead of 1/3 objectives. What gives?

Is it because I run weekly escapes? What should I do instead?

J-Roderton

Geez, there is a Jack upgrade/collectible every five fucking feet. Looking forward to finishing and finding this shit so i can do a second play through without worrying about finding them and actually enjoy the scenery and dialogue.

Last edited:

GC_DALBEN

I liked the first act as JD, im not liking the Kait char in act 2, lets see whats happens :(, at least we have a lot of Marcus :).

Last edited:
Quick question, is there any way to skip past the dev splash screens when you boot the game on PC? I've hit E,escape, space bar, return, m1, everything.

Also Jack's flash freeze is OPAF.

Finished act 2 and I actually really liked the twist on the end boss fight for the encounter.
I really liked the hallucination effects even though I learned they were easy to cheese out of with Jack's flash blind frost.

The Skull

Finished the campaign. Game-play was a lot better than 4's, especially including Jack as a playable character which was pretty good for the most part. The writing and narrative is still a mess though especially
Choosing either JD or Del to live. Right out of left field with no build up. Chose JD because Del was just super boring, his best friend arc is complete and yeah just annoying in general.

Playing as Kait ranged from alright to downright cringe. I hope we get another protagonist change for Gears 6.

NYR

Does this game not support rest mode-instant on thing? Sorry, I had to literally dust off my Xbox One S, last game I played on it was Halo 5 and I could turn off the console and when I went right back into the action where I left off, just like with rest mode on PS4.

This game makes you boot it every time you turn the console on?

isual

i'm enjoying it so far, but i played a bit of 4 today because i just have so much more content collected in game.

pr0cs

I legit said whoa when the lights turned on

At the rocket base,
the sheer amount of polygons and lighting in that scene is absolutely nutso. How anyone can say the game doesn't look good is simply fucking wrong

Dane

He didn't use Hammer of Dawn, those things were offline for decades after the end of the Locust war. Using that shit would be more than enough to be executed without trial.

Last edited:
Just finished the campaign and I enjoyed it for the most part. I don't agree with the design choice for that red sand, it looked bad. Kait is a shit choice for a main character. The open world sections didn't fit.
The gunplay was where it's at for me, and I thoroughly enjoyed that.

edit: That was probably the quickest end game credits in a AAA modern title I've seen in years.

Last edited:

Vol5

I'm at chapter 4 so have a good handle on the game now

+ Graphics are fantastic. Doesn't drop below 60fps on PC.
+ Gunplay is superb. I don't think the head shot could be any more satisfying.
+ From the MP I've played it may have some legs online.

- Story is rubbish and it's sign-posted all the way through. Makes for an uninspired and unsurprising romp through the world.
- Robot is rubbish. There's no reason to have the abilities he provides and make them personal upgrades. You can occasionally spot an ammo crate in a location purposefully placed there to use your robot, yet the vast majority of the ammo is on the ground anyway. Switches in not so difficult to find locations....Honestly, it's whole inclusion is pointless.
- "Open world" is just bullshit for long, pointless traversal.
- PC stuttering and bugs. Laughably bad in places.

While being initially impressed, it's a fair shout that it's an average game not willing to take any risks with the franchise. Could be so much more.

Chiggs

Anybody getting some truly awful visual corruption with Nvidia cards?
6Wom7dq.jpg

DafU7Zk.jpg

Last edited:
Oh our Lord and Savior the bugs....... oh Jesus the bugs. Did they even test this on PC and co-op? I had to run to get to the next checkpoint and force a reload because the Jack upgrade screen doesn't close on the other players screen.

We are at Act 2 and story is good so far, I don't really understand the "trash" comments. I guess its doesn't have lesbians kissing in it :goog_unsure:

Last edited:

Nfactor_AF

Neo Member
The whole Rocket Base in Gears 5, has to be the best graphically looking thing this gen. I played through the entire campaign on PC at max graphics. The Rocket Base on PC maxed out, has got to be a taste of what next gen graphics are gonna look like for sure. It definately made me stop for awhile just to look at how it looked in there. Kinda sucks for Xbox One X users that Screen Space Reflections and other enviroment effects are way dialed back to take in that glory, since there is so much of it that part of the game.

Dane

Decided to play Gears 4 (Only finished Gears 1 (and UE) and 5), the graphical difference is very noticeable.

The whole Rocket Base in Gears 5, has to be the best graphically looking thing this gen. I played through the entire campaign on PC at max graphics. The Rocket Base on PC maxed out, has got to be a taste of what next gen graphics are gonna look like for sure. It definately made me stop for awhile just to look at how it looked in there. Kinda sucks for Xbox One X users that Screen Space Reflections and other enviroment effects are way dialed back to take in that glory, since there is so much of it that part of the game.

Played on Xbox One X and looks awesome nonethless, I have GP Ultimate so I could download for PC.

manfestival

Can anyone give a guy some advice on gun placement on maps? I would LOVE to have a sniper rifle. This is one of the few games where I can snipe but it is so rare to even get that opportunity it feels. Which makes sense since every gun other than the lancer is super strong it seems(and that Cog machine gun).

Also does sprinting give you a damage reduction? I swear I am shooting right at dudes and some shots don't register or I hit them with a big nasty and they won't die right away

Campaign Side Note: Coalition sure does love RANDOM storms appearing. I found the storm to be super annoying. At first I thought it was cool in gears 4 but it literally was almost an entire chapter about a storm. In chapter 2.... another storm and it hasn't even arrived ugh

Last edited:
Act 4 is FREAKING AMAZING. Holy shit this might be one of the best chapters in a Gears game ever.

My rankings though of acts so far from best to worst. Act4 > Act1 > Act2> Act3

jadedm17

Love the first one, I always enjoy when fun kills with a little luck are anchored by a real kill or two; It shows it's not as much luck as some may think but more tactical thinking, and a down-and-dirty-kill like that shotgun blast show you have the chops to back it up. Far cooler than a random no-scope headshot IMO. Classy, I gotta say.

Last edited:

RPS37

Coming off of almost finishing Gears Ultimate, a couple hours in and I’m really liking all of the updates that they’ve made to the game.

pr0cs

Played horde mode with randoms, first time with gears5. Went about as well as expected but the final nail was when an invisible enemy spawned or disappeared into the match with no way to progress.

I played a lot of gears horde including gears4 and never saw this kinda bug.. PITA

Finished the campaign, who
did you guys pick to save? JD or Del, I went with JD because I just couldn't do that to Marcus. Even though Del really grew on me by the end of the game.

Also Relic weapons were way overblown by media coverage. I went out of my way to do all the side quests and only found 2 relic weapons the entire game (the longshot and overkill)

Somehow missed Jack's projected shield ult somehow to.

edit: Looked up where the relic weapons and apparently most were in obscure locations that are easy to miss, what a bummer.

Last edited:

manfestival

I swear the snatcher segments in Gears 4 and 5 are some of those most unfun and uninteresting things I have played in recent memory

Mista

Banned
Love the first one, I always enjoy when fun kills with a little luck are anchored by a real kill or two; It shows it's not as much luck as some may think but more tactical thinking, and a down-and-dirty-kill like that shotgun blast show you have the chops to back it up. Far cooler than a random no-scope headshot IMO. Classy, I gotta say.
Thank you sir

Top Bottom