• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears 5 |OT| Rev Up The Lancers, Its Showtime!

kingwingin

How the fuck have people finished the campaign?! I'm literally stuck in the first chapter proper major game breaking bugs. It's ridiculous.

Save checkpoint bug and lost progress, characters not animating correctly. Button prompts for doors etc not loading. Death animation glitches. Things not loading in.

What the fuck happened here? Should I just play the campaign offline? Will it help?
Yep, that should fix all your problems.

I was smooth sailing after going offline

darkangel-212559

Dreamcast Love
Thanks. Can't believe it's the servers causing all this. Do I have to go offline on my Xbox or can I just choose to play offline in game? Cheers

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
How the fuck have people finished the campaign?! I'm literally stuck in the first chapter proper major game breaking bugs. It's ridiculous.

Save checkpoint bug and lost progress, characters not animating correctly. Button prompts for doors etc not loading. Death animation glitches. Things not loading in.

What the fuck happened here? Should I just play the campaign offline? Will it help?

It has been out for 5 days, which I get. 5 days is a pretty long time to finish a campaign that’s under 20 hours long. I also had a ton of crashes. I did some parts 3-4 times because of crashes. I was reset 1-2 objectives prior due to a Checkpoint bug. I feel your pain there. I was ready to write multiple paragraphs of what happened, but apparently The Coalition is working on it. I played online.

I love getting a game early and I’m selfish that way. I get it. It doesn’t happen a lot (Demon’s Souls and JP ver of ShenMue). A few people here finished it before I did. Once you get going, it picks up. The first hour is all intro/push and move on kinda stuff. The real meat of the game picks up later on in Chapter 1.

I was wondering if someone felt a bit pissed off. Today is the official launch and people have already conquered the campaign. I’d be pissed if I had that type of thought pattern and to be honest I’ve felt that way plenty of times.

It comes down to your own understanding. The bugs in Gears 5 suck ass. It’s definitely a fun ride, hope you enjoy it! I played online. I just kept pushing through because I was having fun.

The jackasses with the first FINAL BOSS + ENDING CUTSCENE YouTube videos the first day early access started. You wonder what happen there?

Last edited:
Just finished Act 1, it really reminded me of the evacuation of Jacinto at the beginning of Gears 2.

Guess I'm in the semi-open world stuff now in Act 2, which is weird cause I kinda liked the classic linear levels of act 1.

Roberts

Finally finished the campaign. GOTY for me, atm. That said, It wasn't all that much longer than previous campaigns - the game tells me I did it in 9 hours, but I will definitely go through it again on a harder difficulty and try to be more thorough (only found around 70% of collectables). Semi-open world thingie wasn't essential, but it definitely gave the game some freshness. The most important thing is that linear levels felt better than ever, because they somehow managed to improve that "Hey, it is a bunch of covers in this room. The fight starts in 3...2...1." feeling that got kind of old by the fourth game. Also, the story was great and it is nice to see some thematic depth added to the game - basically the whole game felt like a new generation has to fix the fuck-ups of the previous one. Sounds familiar?

I played on X and I still think the graphics were amazing, mostly because HDR is the best I have so far. I have seen people making fun of its graphics, saying it looks like a 360 game. The funny thing is that it kind of does, because the developers clearly decided to keep the visual continuity from the previous games, but did a lot of subtle stuff around it lightyears ahead of what 360 could do. It basically looks like the best ever remaster of a 360 game. I understand if it is a turn off for many. Personally, I loved it.

P.S. Played the whole thing in online mode. Had the checkpoint bug only once. Other than that, didn't encounter any bugs.

Last edited by a moderator:

Roberts

Lucky. My friends disconnected 1793 times, checkpoints bugs, audio bugs and game crashes. We survived though

Jeez, that is bad. I guess I got lucky, because usually the only time I got to play it was way past midnight when most people are sleeping in the area. Could that be a reason?

Mista

Banned
Jeez, that is bad. I guess I got lucky, because usually the only time I got to play it was way past midnight when most people are sleeping in the area. Could that be a reason?
Not really because we did the same. Play around 12am till 5-6 in the morning and face lots of issues

Even the campaign achievements are bugged. Still didn’t give the complete all acts and campaign achievements

VAL0R

Banned
My thoughts on capmpaign:

Gears 5 was an excellent campaign with a solid story, great set pieces and stunning visuals. The franchise is in very good, and clearly talented, hands, at the Coalition. The skiff was cool and felt good to drive. I played through on "experienced" difficulty, which ranged from a good challenge to extremely difficult in three spots: 1) Matriarch boss fight, 2) the battle when you reenter the Vasgarian missile silo and fight two snatchers followed by scions, 3) The final boss battle. Of the three, the Matriarch was hardest to complete.

My negatives:
- The open snow and desert hub regions were barren of activity and lifeless, until you parked and explored areas of interest. These small areas were usually marked by nearly identical large waving flags, which seemed very hand-holdy to me. Why was I never encountered by enemies as I rode around on the skiff, for example?
- The visual downgrade when entering the skiff hub areas was jarring.
- I still miss the old Locust Horde, their general monster design and their armor, etc. The old Brumak, for example, was far cooler to me than the new one covered in crystals. The Boomers were more intimidating than the Scions ("BEWWWM!"). Those old armored elite troops (their names escape me) with torque bows that whisper-talked ("hewww-mannn!") are so much cooler than Gears 5's equivalent in "Hunters" who wear leather wrapped around their heads. I think some of the Swarm designs are great as well, but let's have both. Locust could use leaders, captains and generals (like Raam) commanding the grubs on the battlefield. I know the story is moving in this direction.

Last edited:

pr0cs

Not really because we did the same. Play around 12am till 5-6 in the morning and face lots of issues

Even the campaign achievements are bugged. Still didn’t give the complete all acts and campaign achievements
Yep, I've had a ton of issues too, this need to constantly talk to their servers is beyond annoying.
I may try tonight to play in offline mode to see if it's less painful to go through the campaign.

Mista

Banned
Yep, I've had a ton of issues too, this need to constantly talk to their servers is beyond annoying.
I may try tonight to play in offline mode to see if it's less painful to go through the campaign.
I tried that and it works well while playing offline

Dane

Play it offline, it syncs every save spot to the cloud.

Vol5

So after being initially impressed, I booted up the game today and the stuttering is absolutely horrendous. One cutscene died for around 5 seconds. Wtf...and I've been really impressed with it so far. The live integration, pc settings. That is all brilliant. Feels like MS of old where a game release was a shared experience. But the stuttering....no, needs fixing.

I’m really enjoying the campaign
UvBQAC7.jpg

manfestival

I dont know what it is about this game but maybe it is the crossplay that is making me feel like I am god tier at this game. I did NOT feel this way playing gears 4 online. Don't get me wrong, I did very well but I feel like I have ascended in gears 5. Even doing ranked it feels this way. The only difference is that I stick to like the lancer and gnasher and sometimes snipers(since I get those quick snap headshots easy too). Other weapons have me scratching my head at times. I notice actual higher skilled players do very interesting things with their movement that I do not do. I usually just play this like traditional FPS and somehow getting by.

Mohonky

Just finished the game on PC. Ran amazingly well on my rig at High, 2560x1080 on an i7 4770k (mild OC), 16gb DDR3 ram and GTX970 (also mild OC). The game looks amazing and ran at a solid 60fps for the entirety of the game minus one or two sections where it's mildly dropped, otherwise it's a staggering port.

The game itself though, as a long time Gears fan since the first came out, was great, but I felt like the semi-open world stuff doesn't really fit the game world. It's an interesting idea but I don't think it played out as well as the more linear Chapter 1 and 4 sections that follow the more traditional route. I just feel like it broke up the action for too long without actually adding anything all that exciting. Because of that I feel like it wasn't the strongest entry in the series because the pacing felt off; with the more linear chapters the pacing always feels spot on and they have a lot more control over how the set pieces play out. I found myself getting a bit over the open world stuff because it felt too drawn out.

Otherwise, I loved the use of Jacks powers throughout the game and it really opened up some different ways of approaching the combat. Also feel like they've really been nailing the characters in Gears 4 and 5, the dialogue is great and the story is getting a lot more fleshed out than in previous titles.

Really looking forward to more Gears titles, but I feel like they could lose the open world stuff

Mista

Banned
I dont know what it is about this game but maybe it is the crossplay that is making me feel like I am god tier at this game. I did NOT feel this way playing gears 4 online. Don't get me wrong, I did very well but I feel like I have ascended in gears 5. Even doing ranked it feels this way. The only difference is that I stick to like the lancer and gnasher and sometimes snipers(since I get those quick snap headshots easy too). Other weapons have me scratching my head at times. I notice actual higher skilled players do very interesting things with their movement that I do not do. I usually just play this like traditional FPS and somehow getting by.
No wall-bouncing for you?

JORMBO

Darkness no more
I finished the campaign today. I enjoyed the whole ride. The stuff they added with Jack was really well done. I'm neutral on the open world stuff. It didn't really add much to the game, but didn't really take away from anything. I'd be fine if they ditched it for the next game.

The only thing I didn't like about the game was how dumb Del's AI was in the first few chapters.

Endgame spoiler:
I was happy to choose Del as the person I let die at the end. That'll teach you to bug up before fights and not revive me.

Yeah, the semi-open world “hurt” the game. It didn’t work in Uncharted 4 and it doesn’t work here.

I think what makes it more apparent to is that you start out a large chunk of Gears 5 with classic linear levels.

For me I was kinda like "can't we just go back to linear levels?" when it got to the skif part.

I still really like the game but /shrug.

Dacon

Banned
Combat feels faster and more fluid. I like the changes, I appreciate that burst firing is actually an effective technique in this game as opposed to just holding down the trigger. Game is fun.

I'd be up for playing some horde, if there's a discord or something to join.

Also, has anyone gotten around the logitech headset issues? I'd love to use the headsets software.

EDIT: I'm also absolutely ecstatic that this managed to be just as good a port as Gears 4. I got this game to run smoothly and look good on my super dated hardware.

Last edited:

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
The only bug I found was that despite me being nearly done with this snowy hell, I have various parts in the menu that are locked from the first part of the game... Even though I beat them? Eh?

Loving it, its just the difficulty is all over the place. I was playing quite easily on hard until I get to one part under a train track with some ice, and suddenly for the life of me I couldn't do it lol.

Anybody having trouble with the resolution in PC? I'm playing in a 4K TV, but I can't for the life of me play in more than 1080p. When I try upping the resolution scale, it says it's changed, but visually I see no change and the performance doesn't take any hit at all.

Roberts

This is true. I remember looking at my achievement progress sometime during act1 and Execute 100 Rejects achievement progress was at 26%. Just checked and it is still there even though I've executed many more of them.

Mista

Banned
This is true. I remember looking at my achievement progress sometime during act1 and Execute 100 Rejects achievement progress was at 26%. Just checked and it is still there even though I've executed many more of them.
Yeah they addressed this. We'll just have to wait for now till they pop randomly out of nowhere

J-Roderton

I wonder if there are any plans on adding leaderboard stuff on Xbox like time played, etc. All it shows for me is gamerscore and how many achievements I have.

Dibils2k

I wonder if there are any plans on adding leaderboard stuff on Xbox like time played, etc. All it shows for me is gamerscore and how many achievements I have.
every game i looked at has a time played stats when you go into the achievements, does gears 5 not have it? will have to check it out

Last edited:

Dane

Does lobby browser games gives XP or nay? Also, all of them I have played suddenly gets disconnected right at the end.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I booted up Gears of War 3 last night to see how it felt after Gears 5. I noticed In Gears 3 that the reticle on the Lancer wasn't all over the place while I was firing. I realize that shaky movement of the gun shows how hard it would be to control it in Gears 5. Whenever you reload perfectly in Gears 3, the bullets aren't as graphically enhanced as they are in Gears 5. That probably shows that you increased speed, which I think is a cool addition to Gears 5. I also noticed how easier Marcus moved. Am I crazy? I finished the Gears series within their respectable launch windows. Maybe it was the switch between 360 and XBO. Gears 5 is awesome, but Gears 3 feels like it has pretty tight controls. Gears 5 definitely has a lot more physics and reactions when moving around.

Codes 208

Well said
Well, minus the “pick who dies” mechanic. Kinda feels like a cop-out.

Everything else is spot on. Having Marcus close to the center of attention despite the switch off of main characters was a good move and what disney shouldve done with luke. (Without killing off the original main cast as soon as possible.)

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom