• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears 5 |OT| Rev Up The Lancers, Its Showtime!

Butz

Banned
I'd argue they rushed the stability of the game more than the effects or lighting. Considering this is their second attempt at the gears franchise I'd say they made some great choices in both gameplay and graphics. For every bad screenshot you can show I can show one great shot, many of them seen in the thread
It's their third actually

Butz

Banned

Agree to disagree. Playing on the X, it’s a top 5 game this gen (graphics).

60 fps at this res and fidelity is amazing.
I can name 5 better looking ones

5szEh1P.jpg

UncleMeat

Well now that I've finished the campaign and moved on to the multiplayer my early impressions of this Tour of Duty/leveling system are not great. Are they really only selling one skin at a time? Can you not scrap stuff you get anymore? I just want a Hoffman skin!

Maybe I'm just not getting it yet, I've only played a few games but haven't earned any currency. I'm glad we don't have to buy maps anymore so I won't bitch too much but this seems pretty grindy...which is probably intended.

I think I liked 4's loot packs better, at least there were multiple skins available at launch that you could unlock with a little grinding.

Last edited:

manfestival

The cutscenes in this game sure are nice to look at. The story so far is not so interesting but it can probably change... I did not play gears 2 or 3 but I always meant to ask after playing 4(which I played first), didn't Dom die? I thought I saw all these memes. I mean he CLEARLY hasn't but I guess the scene was some fake tear grabber tricking the viewer into thinking he was dead?

#meToo but i want both italian subs and eng audio, if i switch my pc to english i have both in eng...
It's unbelievable how so few games allow you to do this. Every game should have separate language options for audio, subtitles and interface.

Last edited:

pr0cs

Just 4 and Gears 1 ultimate edition they did it with Splash
Yeah I was unaware they did the remaster.
I still need to replay that to see what it looks like. I tried gears1 on xbone back compat but it really didn't age well graphically

Codes 208

Yeah I was unaware they did the remaster.
I still need to replay that to see what it looks like. I tried gears1 on xbone back compat but it really didn't age well graphically
Its ok, the cutscenes kinda pull a halo cea whereas some are better but some are worse. And they added multi-directional rolling but the gameplay still feels pretty clunky compared to 3 and up.

jadedm17

The destruction they call impressive isn't impressive at all since games 10 years ago did it much better, environment interactivity is also laughably bad, games from 15 years ago did that better. Yet DigitalFoundry are ignoring all of the negative stuff to focus on the few good parts and they flat out lie about other things.

Gears games from 10 years ago did it better; I like the bigger destruction elements added to the environment but everything we could destroy before like couches and desks don't even budge. Heck that level you showed has milk jugs that don't even move.

There's a lot to love on this game but simple things like destroying couches are gone and it confuses me.

Also the bathrooms - again I believe that same level - are odd, your character doesn't even meet the sink let alone be able to see in the mirror.

pr0cs

graphically it looks ok, on xbox one og on a 1080p tv from 2005.
I'm not sure why it feels so different graphically, maybe after playing it on consoles for so long at 30 fps I got used to low framerate. Gears4 I played on pc which was a lot more fps than 60 but to me the game feels fundamentally different than 4. Not sure why.
I enjoyed my time yesterday in coop campaign a ton (when their bloody servers were actually working)

VAL0R

Banned
I haven't seen anyone mention the huge graphical downgrade as you transition from isolated "levels" to the open world skiff area. Surely I'm not the only person who finds this jarring.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Just finished the campaign. WHAT A FUCKING 10/10 CAMPAIGN!
From start to finish everything was spot on and felt super good

The writing, directing, gameplay and many more all GOOD
Thank fuck they pulled it off because 4 was B O R I N G

Really glad to hear that. 4 was extremely boring. I dropped it after a couple of hours when I first played it because fighting the robots was just not fun at all. I picked it back up the other day and just blasted through it on Casual to prepare for Gears 5. It had a few cool moments, but overall not an exciting campaign.

Just finished the campaign. It was entertaining. I played all the games and the first is still my favorite. This one is pretty good. Definitely way better than 4.

I feel like every gears game has us chasing some macguffin to end the war and in the next game we're back to square one.

I think the "choice" moment felt pointless. Which is the cannon one? I let Del die. He was too much of a nice guy to live.

I played most of the campaign on experienced difficulty. I died many times without understanding how. Explosives i guess. Everything's fine and then boom, back to the checkpoint.
Snatchers, pouncers, carriers, flocks are not fun to fight. They are just boring bullet sponges.

Last edited:

GC_DALBEN

Im finishing first act, i really like the game, i liked the new mode ESCAPE, ill finish the campaign and play some HORDE.

The game is GORGEOUS ou my PC.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
I haven't seen anyone mention the huge graphical downgrade as you transition from isolated "levels" to the open world skiff area. Surely I'm not the only person who finds this jarring.

If you aren't seeing it mentioned...I'd assuming you're the only who finds its jarring.

I finally got it into with campaign today (because people who pay $60 on steam are second rate citizens apparently)

Loving it so far, only on chapter 2 of act 1 but digging it.

Also it made me do the intro sequence with baird. Didn't know if could exit out of it and go to the main campaign or not. Didn't get a prompt to skip it.

J-Roderton

-Finished Act 1. So far so good.
-I am not as good at versus as I used to be. Maybe just shaking the rust off.
-Played a few Escape games. It's fun. I ended up playing through one with just one other player that leads us on a straight sprint to the exit without fighting any enemies. We ended up having a big guy and a few other enemies at the end to kill before the chopper picked us up. Didn't know you could just skip everything???

Gavon West

Spread's Cheeks for Intrusive Ads
It just highlights the fact that DigitalFoundry are lying and making stuff sound better than it actually is (though to be fair they always do that), they're claiming the shadows and lighting are entirely dynamic but it isn't, it's baked lighting and baked in shadows, it has a complete lack of Global Illumination.
For example, if the shadows were completely dynamic, they would look like this:
e2ee2bb21ac30181ef029043e716d99c.jpg

But in the final game, it looks like this:
595d9da205672f87f3eb869248800be1.jpg

Stuff where the light isn't even going to is just as bright as the objects where the light is shining on.

The destruction they call impressive isn't impressive at all since games 10 years ago did it much better, environment interactivity is also laughably bad, games from 15 years ago did that better. Yet DigitalFoundry are ignoring all of the negative stuff to focus on the few good parts and they flat out lie about other things.

I noticed from the very beginning there's something wrong with how this game looks since stuff that should be dark and shadowed isn't and lightsources from behind the camera simply do not exist, which is why the characters appear almost pitch black in certain areas.
Breh, if you listen to that fucking moron on his breakdown of a DF breakdown, I will totally loose all respect for you as a gamer and a human being. That guy is about as knowledgeable about critical analysis of games as a plumber would be about quantum physics. He's a fucking idiot and it shows.

Jesus his videos are garbage.

And DF lying? LMAO! GTFOH! They're respected among the whole of the industry. They may miss a beat here and there, but their knowledge on this stuff is pretty much unmatched.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
I've recently finished Gears 4 (never played other games after the 1st one cuz they're not available on PC) and it was almost exact copy of the 1st game with its outdated, lifeless and boring combat (not to mention that they haven't even bother to update combat and movement animations since last gen), for the most part terrible level design and combat encounters (with very few exception).

And now, even after playin and finishing only the first chapter in Act 1, I can saftly say that Gears 5 is HUGE step up in terms of gunplay - headshots and the feel of impact from each bullet is infuckingcredible be it metal or flesh. It just feels SO FUCKING GOOD to shoot things in this game, just like in Destiny. And don't even get me started on GFX which is also HUGE step up from Gears 4 even on PC with max settings in 1440p, at least from what I've seen so far. And if you'll count some future proof settings and upcoming Ray Tracing stuff... this game for sure will stand test of time even 4-5 years from now.

I can't tell you guys enough how much I'm glad that there's finally really good Gears game I really like playing and I sure as hell didn't expeted this after Gears 4. Well done Coalition and thank fuck you've made improvements to the core gameplay and gunplay which is sure as fuck were needed as far as I am concerned.

Last edited:

Dane

I've recently finished Gears 4 (never played other games after the 1st one cuz they're not available on PC) and it was almost exact copy of the 1st game with its outdated, lifeless and boring combat (not to mention that they haven't even bother to update combat and movement animations since last gen), for the most part terrible level design and combat encounters (with very few exception).

And now, even after playin and finishing only the first chapter in Act 1, I can saftly say that Gears 5 is HUGE step up in terms of gunplay - headshots and the feel of impact from each bullet is infuckingcredible be it metal or flesh. It just feels SO FUCKING GOOD to shoot things in this game, just like in Destiny. And don't even get me started on GFX which is also HUGE step up from Gears 4 even on PC with max settings in 1440p, at least from what I've seen so far. And if you'll count some future proof settings and upcoming Ray Tracing stuff... this game for sure will stand test of time even 4-5 years from now.

I can't tell you guys enough how much I'm glad there there's finally really good Gears game I really like playing and I sure as hell didn't expeted this after Gears 4. Well done, Coalition and thank fuck you've made improvements to the core gameplay and gunplay which is sure as fuck were needed as far as I am concerned.

It reminds me of something, how Epic and Coalition (until now) had allowed the fucked up unbalance in gunplay, especially from MP from what i've heard. The franchise MP was a Gnasher monopoly, the iconic lancer in SP was an almost useless shit requiring the player to unload 90% of the magazine to kill a grub. Thanks to those issues remaining decade long un fixed, people were bitching since the Tech Test that they had rebalanced the weapons.

II_JumPeR_I

I’ve experienced so far:

- Glitched campaign mission objectives
- Broken checkpoints
- Audio bugs
- Co-op campaign disconnects and crashing
- PvP Ping +200
- Not getting my rewards after each PvP game

It seems to me they’re relying heavily on servers which is a weird thing to do
Have you experienced the funny bug that the game wont detect your controller anymore and then crash if you open your guide in a Horde mode? (havent tested other modes). Fun big to have when you reach Horde Wave 40 or so...

Game is such a disappointment for me. Dont like the campaign that much either, i specially hate this Skiff sections. They are only there to stretch the campaign lenght.

And i agree that the Visuals arent that impressive. You can clearly see all the cutbacks for 60fps which makes me miss a 30fps graphics mode.

Last edited:

Mista

Banned
Have you experienced the funny bug that the game wont detect your controller anymore and then crash if you open your guide in a Horde mode? (havent tested other modes). Fun big to have when you reach Horde Wave 40 or so...

Game is such a disappointment for me. Dont like the campaign that much either, i specially hate this Skiff sections. They are only there to stretch the campaign lenght.

And i agree that the Visuals arent that impressive. You can clearly see all the cutbacks for 60fps which makes me miss a 30fps graphics mode.
Haven’t play horde yet but experienced this once in PvP. It’s weird how the game depends heavily on servers

J-Roderton

Well probably not playing any today. Managed to "format" my external HD by accident and lose 2 terabytes worth of all my Xbox shit. Ugh. Re downloading.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I finished the campaign. I had a blast. I have a couple gripes. The gripes didn't make it hard for me to enjoy the game. I thought it was a fun ride.

What's with the final boss battles? Its an excellent ride to the end, but it literally stops you in your tracks. I get huge Starship Troopers and Tremors vibes from all this, but there's no big fight with anyone. It would have been awesome had we had a dual with Myrrah or something. That's the huge payoff with Gears 6 (I'm taking a huge guess here). Gears 1 we had General Raam. The huge Kraken. I wasn't exactly "touched" by the ending to Gears 5. I thought there were was going to be more. It was a soft way to say "Stay tuned for more". "Gears 6 will have us finally fighting the threat". I actually fought that Kraken thinking it was going to lead up to something like Raam. Its because the campaign was really good. The red colors were beautiful sometimes. It gave us this majestic array to the environment. Sometimes things slowed down. The side stuff wasn't really that interesting. I did 1 water missions because I was right next to the place. I liked moving across the large areas, but I also sped up to get there. I wanted to get there fast versus look around. I also picked Del. I didn't exactly want to see Marcus break down over his own son.

I think one thing that dampers the open world experience is that most of the weapons are already in the battlefield. You aren't setting off on a side mission to unlock anything. You aren't adding to what you already know. You're essentially checking something out to check it out. You might pick up a poster or read a script here and there. It just doesn't feel overly important to grand scheme of things. Overall it was pretty good. I'm looking forward to Gears 6.

Is there an explanation about JD, and the crew rejoining the CoG after Jinn hunted them for the entirety of Gears 4?

Am I missing something here.

RPS37

I played the first chapter last night after not being excited for this game at all after the tech test. Now I’m hyyyped.

darkangel-212559

Dreamcast Love
How the fuck have people finished the campaign?! I'm literally stuck in the first chapter proper major game breaking bugs. It's ridiculous.

Save checkpoint bug and lost progress, characters not animating correctly. Button prompts for doors etc not loading. Death animation glitches. Things not loading in.

What the fuck happened here? Should I just play the campaign offline? Will it help?

Last edited:
Top Bottom