• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears 5 |OT| Rev Up The Lancers, Its Showtime!

I feel so dumb right now. I disabled "campaign camera shake" right when i started to play. Because i hate camera shaking in any game.
And for hours i wondered why they'd removed weapon recoil completely. Well, turns out weapon recoil is considered camera shake.

With it off any weapon shoots like a laser beam. I was annoyed as fuck.

J-Roderton

I feel so dumb right now. I disabled "campaign camera shake" right when i started to play. Because i hate camera shaking in any game.
And for hours i wondered why they'd removed weapon recoil completely. Well, turns out weapon recoil is considered camera shake.

With it off any weapon shoots like a laser beam. I was annoyed as fuck.

Damn really? Versus mode too?

Lupin3

Targeting terrorists with a D-Pad
Question about Act 2 chapter 3 (I think):

I've entered the New Hope facility, and just defeated the Warden. I then encountered the flock indoors, and I was locked inside the same room. The objective says "defeat the flock", but it flew up through the roof after taking a beating, and Del said he didn't know where it went. Thing is... it's not coming back, and I can't go anywhere since I'm locked inside the room. The music keeps playing like the fight is still on, but nothing's happening. Been running around for 5 minutes now.

Anyone know what to do here, or is it another bug, perhaps?

EDIT: I got it (and it was weird)

On my second scan of the room I noticed that ONE of the leeches had gotten stuck outside the door I came from, the one that locked behind me. Have no idea how that's even possible. Anyway, I placed a shock trap right by the door, and that took care of it on the other side, thankfully.

Last edited:

Dibils2k

whole weekend havent been able to play ranked KOTH once... i swear for us in UK it is way worse, as i see USA streamers playing ranked all day...

this has been such a disappointing release in terms of bugs and problems... even the fuckin campaign relies on server! i finished it but no completion achievement... the collectibles rarely loads... checkpoint saving gets stuck...

honestly the beta did nothing to help it seems

and then they have the balls to charge £7 for thumbs up taunt and £15 for single weapon skin... honestly gears 3/4 had a better microtransaction system... to me there isnt enough skins/characters/maps compared to previous 2 enteries

saying all this, when the game works its awesone and i am only frustrated because i want to grind this shit but i cant

Mista

Banned
whole weekend havent been able to play ranked KOTH once... i swear for us in UK it is way worse, as i see USA streamers playing ranked all day...

this has been such a disappointing release in terms of bugs and problems... even the fuckin campaign relies on server! i finished it but no completion achievement... the collectibles rarely loads... checkpoint saving gets stuck...

honestly the beta did nothing to help it seems

and then they have the balls to charge £7 for thumbs up taunt and £15 for single weapon skin... honestly gears 3/4 had a better microtransaction system... to me there isnt enough skins/characters/maps compared to previous 2 enteries

saying all this, when the game works its awesone and i am only frustrated because i want to grind this shit but i cant
The fucking tech test taught them nothing. Unfortunately it’s not only gears but many other developers too

Like why the fuck do you have a beta? To prevent this shit on release 🤷🏻‍♂️🤷🏻‍♂️

J-Roderton

The fucking tech test taught them nothing. Unfortunately it’s not only gears but many other developers too

Like why the fuck do you have a beta? To prevent this shit on release 🤷🏻‍♂️🤷🏻‍♂️

Right? I mean I had some issues Friday. Haven’t had time to play this weekend. Figured they’d have some of that shit straightened out.

Mista

Banned
Right? I mean I had some issues Friday. Haven’t had time to play this weekend. Figured they’d have some of that shit straightened out.
And instead of working on a patch they’re doing everything with a “server-side update” gave away to everyone that the game depends heavily on servers

Mista

Banned
If you guys have Twitter @ rod and bitch at him!
Oh I’m preparing without saying...
AyExPZ9.jpg

I'm not experiencing so many issues. Friday night xbox live was down but other than that my experience has been flawless.

Now let me rant about AI companions again. Had an encounter with a snatcher duo and holy crap, i had to baby sit those AI. They kept going down and being snatched non stop. Jack had to work overtime.

JLB

Banned
I've experienced the infinite-saving issue stated on the official twitter account. A bit of a pain in the ass.

Mista

Banned
I’ve experienced so far:

- Glitched campaign mission objectives
- Broken checkpoints
- Audio bugs
- Co-op campaign disconnects and crashing
- PvP Ping +200
- Not getting my rewards after each PvP game

It seems to me they’re relying heavily on servers which is a weird thing to do

Last edited:

Codes 208

I agree 100%.
Yeah. I mean look back to other characters. you have dom who sacrificed himself via exploding the tanker. Adam killed himself to save the world and even benjamin had a decent death for a carmine who survived MUCH longer than he shouldve.

But getting their neck snapped by Queen Hentai?That was pretty weak.

I still picked JD though. I couldnt do marcus dirty like that. And he has more room for character development whereas del doesnt.

Last edited:
Can't say i'm enjoying this very much so far. I was never a Gears of War fan, and this latest installment doesn't look like that'll change much. Had quite a few crashes and it's really highlighted how badly implemented the checkpoints have been. Been kicked back to previous acts and had to watch numerous cutscenes again, which has been quite irritating. Performance seems good, but it's still the same old clunky gameplay at the end of the day.

Me and my buddy decided to dive straight in on co-op insane difficulty. We are doing it , but man its slow progress, we barely finished Act 1 chapter 1 after several hours. Enjoying the challenge though

Northeastmonk

Gold Member

This was happening to me far too often. I had cases where the character was present, but I couldn't move. I died and the restart checkpoint wouldn't show up. Then when I came back, it put me back 1-2 objectives. The game is great, but man. That autosave issue is a real pain in the ass.

I'd love to see a GAF poll for Act IV

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
This was happening to me far too often. I had cases where the character was present, but I couldn't move. I died and the restart checkpoint wouldn't show up. Then when I came back, it put me back 1-2 objectives. The game is great, but man. That autosave issue is a real pain in the ass.

I'd love to see a GAF poll for Act IV
It's apparently finally been fixed as of this morning.

Butz

Banned
Not really, mostly same rehash as the crowbcat video from a Sony fan, nothing new really stated
It just highlights the fact that DigitalFoundry are lying and making stuff sound better than it actually is (though to be fair they always do that), they're claiming the shadows and lighting are entirely dynamic but it isn't, it's baked lighting and baked in shadows, it has a complete lack of Global Illumination.
For example, if the shadows were completely dynamic, they would look like this:
e2ee2bb21ac30181ef029043e716d99c.jpg

But in the final game, it looks like this:
595d9da205672f87f3eb869248800be1.jpg

Stuff where the light isn't even going to is just as bright as the objects where the light is shining on.

The destruction they call impressive isn't impressive at all since games 10 years ago did it much better, environment interactivity is also laughably bad, games from 15 years ago did that better. Yet DigitalFoundry are ignoring all of the negative stuff to focus on the few good parts and they flat out lie about other things.

I noticed from the very beginning there's something wrong with how this game looks since stuff that should be dark and shadowed isn't and lightsources from behind the camera simply do not exist, which is why the characters appear almost pitch black in certain areas.

Last edited:

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
It's apparently finally been fixed as of this morning.
Awesome, I sure hope so. I had one this one glitch where the mission objective with the first water mission in Act III where you open a door to talk to someone. I had to read a document in the room because the NPC wouldn't show up until I inspected it. The NPC would just appear once I turned around. It was very strange. I redid that first part 3 times.

pr0cs

though to be fair they always do that
I'm not debating that the DF is pretty positive about features of gears5 and ignoring stuff that used to be in previous games. My point was that the newly posted video doesn't really cover anything new.

Yeah it's disappointing that the coalition didn't at least mirror previous expectations but they made a choice, to crank up framerate and graphical fidelity instead of realism.

Personally I don't really care that sandbags don't leak sand when I shoot them, my biggest complaint is that so much of the game is tied to online. There are a lot of bugs made worse when their servers shit the bed and the game acts wacky having you lose connection and progress, which has happened to me 3 times yesterday when doing coop.
THAT is way more worth mentioning than silly effects missing, that will affect way more gamers

Last edited:

Butz

Banned
I'm not debating that the DF is pretty positive about features of gears5 and ignoring stuff that used to be in previous games. My point was that the newly posted video doesn't really cover anything new.

Yeah it's disappointing that the coalition didn't at least mirror previous expectations but they made a choice, to crank up framerate and graphical fidelity instead of realism.

Personally I don't really care that sandbags don't leak sand when I shoot them, my biggest complaint is that so much of the game is tied to online. There are a lot of bugs made worse when their servers shit the bed and the game acts wacky having you lose connection and progress, which has happened to me 3 times yesterday when doing coop.
THAT is way more worth mentioning than silly effects missing, that will affect way more gamers

You can't crank up framerates AND graphical fidelity.
The game looks bad in a lot of areas.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Awesome, I sure hope so. I had one this one glitch where the mission objective with the first water mission in Act III where you open a door to talk to someone. I had to read a document in the room because the NPC wouldn't show up until I inspected it. The NPC would just appear once I turned around. It was very strange. I redid that first part 3 times.

Yeah it was a super nasty bug. I lost in total probably about 2-3 hours of progress due to it.

GymWolf

Can someone tells me if there is any method to play the game on pc windows version woth different languages for audio and subs?

Some language pack to download or some secret setting to change both languages?

I hate the italian VA but the characters talks a lot about technical shit or made up shit and it's not really easy to follow sometimes...

Butz

Banned
I mean, I think (overall) the game looks significantly better.

The lighting, character models and environments are a standout.

The lighting in particular is isn't great since they got rid of dynamic lighting and global illumination. Everything is fine in this game except for that. They baked the lighting which can produce great results like in Assassins Creed Unity or Ryse Son of Rome, but if you don't get it right, it looks like this.
zZIg2F6.jpg

Can someone tells me if there is any method to play the game on pc windows version woth different languages for audio and subs?

Some language pack to download or some secret setting to change both languages?

I hate the italian VA but the characters talks a lot about technical shit or made up shit and it's not really easy to follow sometimes...
I had to change windows language

Butz

Banned
Yes you can, but you typically have to give up something in return. In this case some lighting choices they made alo g with some of the niggly complaints with destructable environments and physics.
Gears5 is easily the best looking gears game ever made

Sucks that lighting is pretty much the most important thing when it comes to visuals, which is evident by Minecraft with a bunch of lighting shaders.

pr0cs

Sucks that lighting is pretty much the most important thing when it comes to visuals, which is evident by Minecraft with a bunch of lighting shaders.
For the most part the lighting is very good, the hdr implementation is easily the best hdr I've seen in a game yet. I will agree that some dark sections are crushed badly but to suggest that the majority of the game looks bad due to the lighting is crazy

Butz

Banned
For the most part the lighting is very good, the hdr implementation is easily the best hdr I've seen in a game yet. I will agree that some dark sections are crushed badly but to suggest that the majority of the game looks bad due to the lighting is crazy

It isn't crazy, they clearly rushed it. 3 years of development time simply isn't enough if you want to make a game with this much content and this many modes.

Butz

Banned
The campaigns to downplay and diminish every single Xbox game, especially the great ones like Gears 5, is really impressive to watch. Just like clockwork.

Liked Cuphead, liked Quantum Break, liked every single Forza Horizon game, even enjoyed Sea of Thieves for a few days and I'm having fun with Gears 5, it just does not look good.

pr0cs

It isn't crazy, they clearly rushed it. 3 years of development time simply isn't enough if you want to make a game with this much content and this many modes.
I'd argue they rushed the stability of the game more than the effects or lighting. Considering this is their second attempt at the gears franchise I'd say they made some great choices in both gameplay and graphics. For every bad screenshot you can show I can show one great shot, many of them seen in the thread

Top Bottom