• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears 5 |OT| Rev Up The Lancers, Its Showtime!

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
oooh just finished the game.
i think it's about the same as 4
but 5 has a better story?
I GUESS?

CyberPanda

Banned
kE6Xfvt.png

MsYHa5I.png

waEGQ0g.png

IXfR0mX.png

27e7Ds5.gif

Kagey K

Banned
Campaign keeps freezing on me when saving, 3 times in the first act.
Took 3 games of Arcade before I was able to finish one too. Last night one friend kept disconnecting from the game so it took us forever to get to Act 1 ch 4 and then the servers just gave out completely.

Codes 208

I love how coalition took the effort to rename the series to represent the abbreviation of Gears and people are still calling it GoW5

It doesnt even have “of war” in the title anymore, the fuck is this oW even coming from anymore? Its Gears 5, not god of war 5 GoW5 dammit.

Just played a lot on mp. Ive been having such a blast playing the game so glad I jumped on it. Going to play the campaign tomorrow

Kagey K

Banned
Just played a lot on mp. Ive been having such a blast playing the game so glad I jumped on it. Going to play the campaign tomorrow
I have always hated Gears MP but Arcade mode might be winning me over. It’s too early to tell as the servers won’t stop being shitty, but it feels like I’m having fun when they are working.

Lanrutcon

Bought it on a whim.

- Good pricing in my country.
- Pretty at a distance, but when I play m&k up close to the screen you see the texture issues, pop in, etc. Good looking game, but best looking? Lord no.
- Performance is stellar. On my 1070 I can ultra everything at 1920x1080 and it absolutely sings. Capped it at 60 but it runs at way more. It doesn't even push my system like Monster Hunter, a game that looks similar, does. Goes to show how badly MHW is optimised, I guess?
- Encountered several bugs after 3 hours of play. A few are game breaking, and I had to reload previous checkpoints to continue. I'm tempted to wait for a few patches.
- On normal I am always out of ammo. Most fights are more about running through the battlefield trying to find ammo pickups than anything else. Don't get me started on accidentally picking up other guns while you're trying to grab a clip.
- Had to rebind the keys. The default m&k setup is terrible.
- Plot is...I haven't played a Gears game since the original. People talk more now. It's annoying.
- I heard things get open world at some point? that can't come fast enough. Tiny repetitive monster arenas bore me.
- My dude can wear a ton of space age power armor but can't carry more than 9 rounds of sniper ammo. What is this...2005?
- And despite MS having data centres in my country: no local MP servers. Poor form, MS.

All in all, plays like a really refined relic from another age so far. Tempted to just put it in offline and cheat engine the recoil/ammo limitations away. Game seems like it would be a shitload more fun.

cantona222

I hate how co-op progession work. My friend invited me and we played for about an hour from the beginning and then I got an error and disconnected. I wanted to continue playing by myself but I couldn't. It's like I did nothing. No save and no progress at all

kingwingin

what was that shit with cole train and the motorcycle, whoever thought that needed to be in the game, should lose their job.

pr0cs

So is Hive fun or what? Couldn't get a single match to work last night.
Played a few matches late last night, after they fixed the xbl login issues.
I enjoyed it but it's pretty hard, if you think ammo in campaign is slim escape will change your mind. It is fun though.

kingwingin

Not really. Cole said that he’s going for a bit before actually coming back with the bike
how did he know it was there with the keys? And how could he possibly know he would hit a ramp and get it perfect in its mouth. If he missed, what was his plan?

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Beautiful game, lots of fun. One minor issue. What’s with the crashes? I crash after completing areas and once I do finish a scene it’ll say it’s saving then crash. This has happened 4-5 times. I even had to redo a whole “scenario” or set piece because it freaking crashed on me. Beautiful stuff is Gears 5, but man these crashes are rough. It freezes. I couldn’t even climb during a mission because the NPC wouldn’t tag along. I had to reset my checkpoint.

Quick thought, with all the God of War praise... was the first dual wielding beast fight an ode to God of War’s trolls/ogre or what? Awesome feeling fighting a boss in the snow.

Hey Spukc Spukc , curious on how many Acts there are? Could I please get a number?

Last edited:

Codes 208

Servers aside this has been a pleasant surprise. My hype for gears was pretty lacking early on due to fatigue (i was expecting another gears 3 reskin like what 4 was.)

But the gunplay and movement feels solid, the story was predictable but overall not too bad.
Horde has a shit ton of variation and enemies types (there hasnt been this much variation since gears 3.) Escape has actually been pretty fun to play.

If someone were to argue this is currently the best xbox one game this gen, i would have a hard time disagreeing. Its certainly better than 4. (Though i wouldnt say its as good as gears 2, but for me thats a pretty high bar.)

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Beautiful game, lots of fun. One minor issue. What’s with the crashes? I crash after completing areas and once I do finish a scene it’ll say it’s saving then crash. This has happened 4-5 times. I even had to redo a whole “scenario” or set piece because it freaking crashed on me. Beautiful stuff is Gears 5, but man these crashes are rough. It freezes. I couldn’t even climb during a mission because the NPC wouldn’t tag along. I had to reset my checkpoint.

Quick thought, with all the God of War praise... was the first dual wielding beast fight an ode to God of War’s trolls/ogre or what? Awesome feeling fighting a boss in the snow.

Hey Spukc Spukc , curious on how many Acts there are? Could I please get a number?

Rien

Jelly Belly
Still in Act 1 and hopefully tomorrow some more time. Game plays rock solid so far. Gunplay feels really tight. Looking awesome!

dorkimoe

Been playing on xbox and pc, whats the PC button to do a chainsaw or finisher? I have melee bound but now that its not the same as the melee button .

kingwingin

welp, that was an interesting ending...

I wonder how they can continue from here, besides the obvious cliffhanger, since it was left up to player choice who dies. I wonder if it’ll pull a Mass effect with Gears 6 and the choice you make is reflected or if one of the in-game choices will be treated as an alternate ending. I mean coalition likes making extended lore with comics and novels ala halo so will they choose a proper ending or whats going?

I of course am referring to the choice between saving JD or Del. Personally I prefer JD being saved because I legitimately felt bad for Marcus, he lost his brothers in arms, dad and wife and now his son? Holy shit coalition you need to chill.
I feel like they will pick one ending to be canon based on who that fans choose to save. Kinda like when they voted to kill or save carmine in gears 3

Codes 208

I feel like they will pick one ending to be canon based on who that fans choose to save. Kinda like when they voted to kill or save carmine in gears 3
Thats what im expecting as well.
personally im hoping for JD being saved to be the real choice because it lessens the impact a little since while del dying is still pretty sad, seeing marcus despressed like that was actually heart wrenching. Plus i feel that del has completed his story arc, JD has more potential.

kingwingin

Thats what im expecting as well.
personally im hoping for JD being saved to be the real choice because it lessens the impact a little since while del dying is still pretty sad, seeing marcus despressed like that was actually heart wrenching. Plus i feel that del has completed his story arc, JD has more potential.
the only way I will accept JD dying is if we get to play gears 6 as marcus and he goes berserk on the swarm.

Mista

Banned
Loving those new side missions they added. We go explore immediately as soon as we see a flag or a ? mark

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I really enjoyed the Matriarch fight. However, I paused it right at a cutscene and left the room. When I came back about 10 minutes later it had signed me out of Gears 5. I loaded it up and had to fight it again. So make sure you see the auto save pop up before you pause/quit.

Last edited:
Top Bottom