• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears 5 Has the Largest Campaign, Largest PvE, and Largest Versus in Series History

Mista

Banned
gears-5-hero-art.jpg

While speaking with Game Informer, Gears 5’s multiplayer design director Ryan Cleven spoke about this yet again, calling it the largest game in the series to date, with the largest ever campaign, largest ever PvE offerings, and largest ever Versus.
Gears 5 is the largest Gears of War to date; it’s the largest campaign ever made, the largest PvE ever made, the largest versus ever made. The team at The Coalition is an extremely talented but focused team that believes in this game. They’re extremely passionate about bringing their mark, a high degree of quality, and a legacy that Gears fans will recognize. There is no magic bullet; it’s trusting the people around you. [Studio head Rod Fergusson] has this saying he repeats every time we start a new project: ‘If you want to go fast, go alone. If you want to go far, go together.’ That’s something we really believe in at the studio. We believe in trusting each other so we can get efficiency out of that.”

I remember before Halo 5 came out and one dude from 343 was like this is the biggest campaign we've ever made, granted the coalition is way more trustworthy than 343.

manfestival

The reveal of the new enemies was kinda cool. The giant monsters that swallow you were really annoying though.
I am currently running through gear 1 campaign after playing gears 4(as my first gears game). Those monsters were by far the worst part of the game aside from the formula feeling antiquated.

It turns out the horrendous cover was true after all. Can't believe it.
Unfortunately, yea. Not a fan of cover, myself. The Ultimate edition is better, but still pretty bland. Too bad no awesome artwork like previous games. I really hope we get a new champaign launch trailer with the signature gloomy gears tone of all the past trailers. Even gears 4 was great with that Sound of Silence cover. Would be a cool callback to use a cover version of the original gears trailer, Madworld, as a new start kind of message.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Gears is reliable for Microsoft, hardcore fans haven't been feeling the series since Gears of War 2 but I also feel they have to step up with the changes.

I remember before Halo 5 came out and one dude from 343 was like this is the biggest campaign we've ever made, granted the coalition is way more trustworthy than 343.
Well Halo 5 does have 15 missions in its campaign and none of them are cutscene levels, so whoever said that wasn't wrong.

In comparison...
Halo 5: fifteen levels (no cutscene levels) = 15
Halo 4: ten levels, first and last level are cutscenes = 8
Halo Reach: eleven levels, first level is a cutscene = 10
Halo 3 ODST: ten levels, first level is a short tutorial = 9
Halo 3: ten levels, first level is a cutscene = 9
Halo 2: fifteen levels, but first level is a cutscene = 14
Halo CE: nine levels (no cutscene levels) = 9

So regardless of whether he was saying that Halo 5 has the largest campaign that 343 has ever made or of all the halo games, he is telling the truth. I don't know why people think 343 are not trustworthy. They said they would fix TMCC and they did, despite it taking a really long time.

Elenchus

Banned
Gears is reliable for Microsoft, hardcore fans haven't been feeling the series since Gears of War 2 but I also feel they have to step up with the changes.

You need to talk to more fans. Gears 3 is considered a masterpiece by the core fans. I think the multiplayer in Gears 1 was the best 3rd person multiplayer I ever experienced but I’m usually shouted down by people who think Gears 3 has no equal.

Mista

Banned
You need to talk to more fans. Gears 3 is considered a masterpiece by the core fans. I think the multiplayer in Gears 1 was the best 3rd person multiplayer I ever experienced but I’m usually shouted down by people who think Gears 3 has no equal.
Nah, I’m with you right there. Gears 1 is still my favourite in the series

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
I’m talking about the hardcore fans who haven’t felt the series since Gears of War 2, Gears will always find the core fans which is why I want to the series to come to PS5

Well Halo 5 does have 15 missions in its campaign and none of them are cutscene levels, so whoever said that wasn't wrong.

In comparison...
Halo 5: fifteen levels (no cutscene levels) = 15
Halo 4: ten levels, first and last level are cutscenes = 8
Halo Reach: eleven levels, first level is a cutscene = 10
Halo 3 ODST: ten levels, first level is a short tutorial = 9
Halo 3: ten levels, first level is a cutscene = 9
Halo 2: fifteen levels, but first level is a cutscene = 14
Halo CE: nine levels (no cutscene levels) = 9

So regardless of whether he was saying that Halo 5 has the largest campaign that 343 has ever made or of all the halo games, he is telling the truth. I don't know why people think 343 are not trustworthy. They said they would fix TMCC and they did, despite it taking a really long time.
Dude some missions are literally walking around doing nothing, they are basically cutscene levels. Your being very disingenuous trying to make it sound like it has 15 full length missions. Its the shortest time to beat Halo ever, it took me around 5 hours to complete and then I remember seeing Angry Joe's review video and he beat it in even less time at 4 and a half hours. He was not telling the truth, the campaign was shit and it was short. All the marketing was a lie and then you question why people think 343 are not trustworthy...

Ovek

7Member7
Considering the recent out put of Gears games I don't really see being the "longest ever" as a positive.

pr0cs

I liked gears4 but it took too long to get fun, it left a bad first impression which hurt it in the eyes of many players who didn't stick with it long enough to get to the better parts. Not that I blame them considering how many good games there are vying for your time these days.
With exception to the annoying loot box card bullshit horde mode in 4 is easily the best in the series and likely what I'm looking forward most in 5

Mista

Banned
I liked gears4 but it took too long to get fun, it left a bad first impression which hurt it in the eyes of many players who didn't stick with it long enough to get to the better parts. Not that I blame them considering how many good games there are vying for your time these days.
With exception to the annoying loot box card bullshit horde mode in 4 is easily the best in the series and likely what I'm looking forward most in 5
It’s even better in 5. It’s now called Escape

The Alien

Banned
Enough has been said about lack of /shitty marketing plan for this game (especially E3)....but man, this game looks GOLD!!! 🏅🏅🏅

gatti-man

I thought Gears 4 was fun enough, but it was plagued by shitty lootbox MP and an overemphasis on horde mode. The campaign was just as good as 3, IMO.
4 just bored me and just when it started to get interesting the game ended. The characters also were pretty lack luster in general. 1,2&3 had much snappier brodude writing which made me laugh and also created endearing characters. 4 wasn’t like that at all. The encounters were ok but missed a marque villain like RAAM or the queen or a bruback. Nothing really had impact like that for me.

It sounds like it looks and plays like a Gears of War 4 DLC or expansion than a proper new AAA games. I'd keep expectations in check on this one.

Yeah no. It's way bigger than Gears 4 but it will familiar coz its continuation of series. Calling it a DLC without playing is stupid. Looks like you take enjoyment in shitting on people hard work.

What u do for living? Tell me so that i can shit on it.

Vawn

Banned
Yeah no. It's way bigger than Gears 4 but it will familiar coz its continuation of series. Calling it a DLC without playing is stupid. Looks like you take enjoyment in shitting on people hard work.

I build outdoor porta-pottys.

quickwhips

Don't feed the trolls.

quickwhips

4 just bored me and just when it started to get interesting the game ended. The characters also were pretty lack luster in general. 1,2&3 had much snappier brodude writing which made me laugh and also created endearing characters. 4 wasn’t like that at all. The encounters were ok but missed a marque villain like RAAM or the queen or a bruback. Nothing really had impact like that for me.
Game needed more cole train and baird. The fact that dom is gone sucks the original characters should have been the focus with more of a torch pass than we got.

Dude some missions are literally walking around doing nothing, they are basically cutscene levels. Your being very disingenuous trying to make it sound like it has 15 full length missions. Its the shortest time to beat Halo ever, it took me around 5 hours to complete and then I remember seeing Angry Joe's review video and he beat it in even less time at 4 and a half hours. He was not telling the truth, the campaign was shit and it was short. All the marketing was a lie and then you question why people think 343 are not trustworthy...
Were you playing on easy/normal and just running through everything? I find it hard to believe you were playing the game with the intention of enjoying it. If it was too easy you should increase the difficulty.

Regardless, 343 listed the approximate amount of time to get through the game before it was released. They said roughly 8-12 hours, which is on par with other halo games. I've played all the Halo campaigns and I didn't notice halo 5 being noticeably shorter.

So if they are lying it is weird to lie and be honest at the same time. I played through on heroic and legendary and I'm pretty sure that even on heroic it took me around 9-10 hours. But I also like to take in the scenery and do a little bit of exploring when I play halo.

It should also be noted that each halo campaign 1-4 has an achievement to beat said campaign on heroic or legendary in ~3 hours or less. So technically one could argue that all the Halo games have short campaigns. Just because something can be done in a short amount of time doesn't necessarily mean there isn't much to it. There are many things a person can be referring to when they say a game is their biggest yet. That could be in size, ambition, offerings, etc. Warzone for example wasnt exactly a small thing to add to halo.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Were you playing on easy/normal and just running through everything? I find it hard to believe you were playing the game with the intention of enjoying it. If it was too easy you should increase the difficulty.

Regardless, 343 listed the approximate amount of time to get through the game before it was released. They said roughly 8-12 hours, which is on par with other halo games. I've played all the Halo campaigns and I didn't notice halo 5 being noticeably shorter.

So if they are lying it is weird to lie and be honest at the same time. I played through on heroic and legendary and I'm pretty sure that even on heroic it took me around 9-10 hours. But I also like to take in the scenery and do a little bit of exploring when I play halo.

It should also be noted that each halo campaign 1-4 has an achievement to beat said campaign on heroic or legendary in ~3 hours or less. So technically one could argue that all the Halo games have short campaigns. Just because something can be done in a short amount of time doesn't necessarily mean there isn't much to it. There are many things a person can be referring to when they say a game is their biggest yet. That could be in size, ambition, offerings, etc. Warzone for example wasnt exactly a small thing to add to halo.

I played on Legendary. It took me 6 hours. It was the easiest game in the franchise as well as incredibly short. I could effortlessly cut the time in half if I played on Easy.

I did the same thing I do with every Halo, I did it on normal my first playthrough, none of them have ever been that short for me. I always play normal solo then heroic solo then co-op legendary with my cousin. Halo 5 was so bad through its the only Halo I didn't do multiple playthroughs for, also they took out split-screen so I couldn't play with my cousin even if I wanted to.

Top Bottom