• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears 5 developer talks eSports implementation, wants it to be “More Watchable”

Mista

Banned
gears-5-1024x576.jpg

In the latest episode of Inside Xbox, Rod Fergusson, Studio Head at The Coalition talked about the intention behind the game’s multiplayer this time, hoping to emulate a lot of what the team learned on working on Gears of War: Ultimate Edition to make the game more entertaining and watchable for the eSports audience.

“When we started back with the Ultimate Edition and we started going back old school, because you remember what Gears 1 was like when there was not really a way to view it, there was no spectator camera. It was really the old school of the old school.”
“We’ve been trying to improve that, and improve that, and improve that, and make it more playable, make it more watchable, you know those better camera controls,”
“I think as you’ll see where we’ll get to Gears 5, and then as we go to continue to improve that … That’s one of the things I love about the games that have a life beyond launch now, it’s not all about what’s in the box, but it’s about where you take it after that too. That’s gonna be true for eSports and Gears 5 as well.”

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
I wonder what they have in store. Watching a high tier player play a round of MP is almost dizzying the way they slide through the level and their camera movements. Sometimes I have no clue how they know what the hell is going on.

The Alien

Banned
Itd be interesting if they tweak wall bouncing. It is rediculous looking (and essentially an exploit). That would make it more watchable....but it's so ingrained in the game and the good/pro players.

angelic

Banned
It's already very watchable, it's just on the console that lost the generation, and everyone is playing Fortnite/Apex. I've great memories of speccing the last man standing, rolling around Clocktower, with both teams in the same chat before party chat made online completely unsociable.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
A more watchable eSports sound great. I'd also like to see a more improved library of games.

Graciaus

Itd be interesting if they tweak wall bouncing. It is rediculous looking (and essentially an exploit). That would make it more watchable....but it's so ingrained in the game and the good/pro players.
That would be the death of the online and probably the series. Wall bouncing with a gnasher is gears.

Top Bottom