• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears 5 breaks records - three million players in its opening weekend

Kagey K

Banned
Yeah I didn't think you'd have the balls to bet, it won't be #2 either. So much for your 3mil regardless.
NBA is going to take it by a mile, like it always does. Has nothing to do with balls at that point.

I said I’d wager against Death Stranding, yet it seems like you, lack the balls on that one.

Last edited:

Pallas

Yeah I didn't think you'd have the balls to bet, it won't be #2 either. So much for your 3mil regardless.

Lol balls? He’s not fucking stupid. That’s like saying I bet GTA5 or Minecraft won’t chart. No one will take that bet, Gears 5 won’t hit #1 or even #2, why would it with Gamepass, and you know what? That’s fine, I don’t think anyone is complaining or crying about being able to play Gears 5 on Gamepass and the last thing they are concern about is how many physical copies were sold.

Kagey K

Banned
Lol balls? He’s not fucking stupid. That’s like saying I bet GTA5 or Minecraft won’t chart. No one will take that bet, Gears 5 won’t hit #1 or even #2, why would it with Gamepass, and you know what? That’s fine, I don’t think anyone is complaining or crying about being able to play Gears 5 on Gamepass and the last thing they are concern about is how many physical copies were sold.
Yet he won’t take my Counter offer.

Kagey K

Banned
To be honest, I wouldn’t either but I bet MiyazakiHatesKojima MiyazakiHatesKojima would bet the farm.

Not to say D.Stranding is going to be awful, I’m actually looking forward to the game but I don’t see it reaching the casual crowd the same way that GoW or Spider-man does.
I thought it was was the only 1 vs 1 comparison.

Especially since he just tried to trick me into getting a year ban.

Can’t put his money where his mouth is.

3 million regardless... so being available on Gamepass which depending on the person might be a free upgrade or 2 whole bucks has NO effect on the number of players? Do you guys even logic?

No. But do you think I'm the only one who signed up just for Gears who isn't going to stay a GP subscriber?

I'd argue if you can prove a substantive number signed up for Gears that's a feather in Gears' cap. Personally I signed up the second it dropped to a dollar for PC followed by 5 dollars a month after the promotion ended. Have been playing stuff like Vampyr, Void Bastards and Metro Exodus prior to Gears' release.

People keep trashing this, but this is very successful. Microsoft wants people using gamepass. There will be some discounting at first ($1 subs), but in the process they are building the popularity of gamepass. Business-wise, they are building gamepass into a success. And $1 games are good for consumers. I like it.

demigod

NBA is going to take it by a mile, like it always does. Has nothing to do with balls at that point.

I said I’d wager against Death Stranding, yet it seems like you, lack the balls on that one.

Are you dumb? Death Stranding is in November.

Yup, you lack the balls because you can't back up what you said. You said 3mil, lol. Borderlands 3 will chart ahead of Gears.

Last edited:

Kagey K

Banned
I'd argue if you can prove a substantive number signed up for Gears that's a feather in Gears' cap. Personally I signed up the second it dropped to a dollar for PC followed by 5 dollars a month after the promotion ended. Have been playing stuff like Vampyr, Void Bastards and Metro Exodus prior to Gears' release.
So they gave you too much value for your money? Gears was the cap where you said enough was enough?

demigod

You're not so bright are you? Go reread the quote.

demigod

I said I would wager month one Gears sales vs Month one Death Stranding. It’s very simple.

The rest is up to you. Once the NPD numbers drop there is no take backs though.

Nope, you said it would do 3mil and now you're backtracking, yeah I knew you were full of it like usual. Go home, boy.

Kagey K

Banned
And my counter was to not even count NBA, hence I said Gears won't even be #2. You're still scared because you know Gears won't hit 3mil.
So let’s do this, you wanted to bet so bad. 1 year ban, Gears 5 does better then Death Stranding in its opening month.

I’m sick of your shit. and one way or another it gets finished.

demigod

So let’s do this, you wanted to bet so bad. 1 year ban, Gears 5 does better then Death Stranding in its opening month.

I’m sick of your shit. and one way or another it gets finished.

This has nothing to do with Death Stranding , you trying to chicken out of your 3mil bet? lol. I'm done with you, you're obviously scared. BYE KID.

Last edited:
I don't understand this bickering or this bet but I would BET Death Stranding has a stonger NPD performance than Gears 5. More hype, more visibility, nothing like Gamepass to take away from it. I think it works against it that it looks so damn weird and confusing but so many gamers trust in Kojima, it's like if a new Christopher Nolan or Quentin Tarantino movie looked just okay, you'd still be there opening day to find out how wrong you were.

demigod

??? You wanted to bet him that Gears 5 wouldn’t be #1 on the NPD.

Of course it won’t. I’m not sure what you assumed I thought with my quoted post.

Read the one I quoted, he said 3mil, it's not happening. Had you kept reading I even said it won't be #2. Are you illiterate?

FireFly

Read the one I quoted, he said 3mil, it's not happening.
He never said it would hit 3 million *with* Game Pass. He said it was going to hit 3 million users regardless (of whether Game Pass exists or not).

As in, in a world without Game Pass it would make 3 million sales.

demigod

Are you? Read the one I quoted from you.

I commented on that, because you were trying to bait someone into taking a year ban.

So you butted in and didn't bother to read what i quoted, brilliant. Gears will not be #1 nor #2 on NPD. I'm not baiting him anything. He made an ignorant claim and can't back it up.

He never said it would hit 3 million *with* Game Pass. He said it was going to hit 3 million users regardless (of whether Game Pass exists or not).

As in, in a world without Game Pass it would make 3 million sales.

I know what he said, why are you reiterating the same thing? Gears was NOT going to sell 3mil during launch month let alone 1 week.

Ethelwulf

Congrats to TC for creating a game that people play. Not my cup of tea though. Gave it a try on game pass for PC and got bored immediately. Multiplayer is better.

DanielsM

Banned
And how hard is that when you have three or four times as many players?

Yeah, but this game will only do a very tiny fraction of what GoW1 did and at that time the Xbox 360 had an install base of only about <10m at launch. I highly doubt GoW5 will do a million units across PC/Xbox hardware in its first year, although I doubt we get official numbers. Heck, I think Borderlands 3 might actually bomb and it has 4 different editions in the top 100 on Amazon with 3 in the top 44. My guess based on Amazon listing.... close to mega-bomb numbers.... just not quite as bad as Crackdown3. It will probably be in some top 10 lists for a week or so in most places.

Phil is going to have to ask Uncle Satya for lots more money. At the end of the day, they need either sales or people to actually pay for the subscription.... I haven't seen much evidence to support either one is happening.

Microsoft has a very long tough road, imo.

Last edited:

Gavon West

Spread's Cheeks for Intrusive Ads
Again, that's their theory, but I'm not convinced it's actually better than actually selling popular games. I'm glad you like it, but I'm sure for every one of you there is one person who signs up for $1 when a game they want to play is out and then they move on. This "3 million players" number is irrelevant in a world where you could be a player for $1 and also where old Gears games sold more copies at $60.

Every company is claiming a pivot to services these days, they all have fancy "market research" that says it is the future, and all that, but I'm very skeptical. Netflix keeps getting brought up, but they're losing their most popular content (old Friends and The Office), their stock is down 22% from its high in July, they lost subscribers last quarter for the first time in almost a decade, they're burning tons of cash trying to throw content on the screen, and they're starting down the barrel of Disney+.
Hate to tell you this but, Netflix is growing substantially and are making huge profits. Some of you arm chair analyst need to update your degrees or change careers. You guys suck at giving accurate information.

And, yeah. As always; Google some shit.

DanielsM

Banned
Hate to tell you this but, Netflix is growing substantially and are making huge profits. Some of you arm chair analyst need to update your degrees or change careers. You guys suck at giving accurate information.

And, yeah. As always; Google some shit.

Netflix is a cash burning machine, what cash burning means is they can't use accounting to help hide the losses. Netflix continues to burn cash at a very high rate, somewhere in the $2-4b annual rate.

The irony of your post. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Gavon West

Netflix is a cash burning machine, what cash burning means is they can't use accounting to help hide the losses. Netflix continues to burn cash at a very high rate, somewhere in the $2-4b annual rate.

The irony of your post. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Ffs..

Posted below is from last year. You honestly think it's gotten worse for Netflix this year???

And this is profit, genius! Fucking Christ. Smh.

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/n...-streaming-to-record-profit-totals-2018-04-16

As I stated, Google some shit..

Last edited:

DanielsM

Banned
Ffs..

Posted below is from last year. You honestly think it's gotten worse for Netflix this year???

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/n...-streaming-to-record-profit-totals-2018-04-16

As I stated, Google some shit..

Cash burn, they can't hide cash burn. They kept on saying for years cash burn would go down but its generally been going up. Netflix isn't a video streaming service its a cash burning business which sells stocks to the greater fools. To be honest, I've never understood the excitement, its a rental service... like getting excited about Blockbuster or Family Video. IF they increase prices, the subscribers leave, if they don't raise prices the bond market will eventually cut them off.

Come back when cash burn is at even near a zero rate. Get off the interwebs and take an accounting class, a company has a very hard time hiding cash burn.

giphy.gif

Last edited:

thelastword

Banned
Really? Who knew every F2P game was a big money loser.

Don't worry about MS's pocketbooks. Pretty sure MS making about $30 billion in profits every year can take a hit or two. Your love Sony has lost so much money the past 10+ years, they had to gut divisions and sell their headquarters and move to cheaper building to raise cash.
Except Gears is not an F2P game, you can buy it for $60 and when it gets off gamepass your only option is to buy it digitally or from a store...…..

Gears is not Fortnite, it will never be. not even close.....The last Gears did not light the world on fire, this one is doing even worse at retail. People got to play for $2, they sad why not, who wouldn't? Yet the reality is, many people didn't even bother to sub, because 3 million players signifies; XBOX+PC gamepass + retail sales + digital sales. that's not so impressive with gamepass...….There are how many XBOX owners in the world? 40 million, how many of these guys subbed or are interested in Gears? How many Gaming PC's in the world? hundreds upon hundreds of millions, just too many...….How many subbed for this deal of the century? I always told folk, you develop a game people want to play and which has appeal, they will pay $60......You can give away a game free to people and if they're not into it or the franchise, it wont make a difference...…...Try selling iphones outside the iPhone store for a $1, some people will take it, sure, but most will be skeptical...…(why cant he sell this at $1000), (Is it stolen?)…

The truth is, Gears cannot be compared to Fortnite and Apex Legends, none of these games...…..If you insist, you will have to provide numbers comparing Gears favorably to these titles, you will also have to show all the money Gears is making through MTX and highlight their profit margins next to these F2P titles...….And Since we all know Gears is not F2P, do a similar comparison and breakdown to PUBG and BLACK OPs...…….I'll tell you this, comparing Fortnite to Gears is like comparing Beyoncé to Solange Knowles...…...Uhmmmm, they're both singers, also sisters......

I don't understand this bickering or this bet but I would BET Death Stranding has a stronger NPD performance than Gears 5. More hype, more visibility, nothing like Gamepass to take away from it. I think it works against it that it looks so damn weird and confusing but so many gamers trust in Kojima, it's like if a new Christopher Nolan or Quentin Tarantino movie looked just okay, you'd still be there opening day to find out how wrong you were.
Yeah Death Stranding will destroy Gears 5 Lifetime sales in it's first weekend, forget about monthly....Gears better take this baton and run, what a head start.....

Still no need to bet on these things, some of these posters will deflect when the results come anyway, they will say they never said this, and why is Death Stranding beating Gear's lifetime sales so important, just play the games yadda yadda yadda......So it's pointless to raise bets...….It's like when all these posters were singing the praises of Gears beating Fortnite on Live for what 1 Day? They went crazy with that, even if it meant nothing. Then the UK results came yesterday and it's a big "oops". Then they are now trying their best to defend 3 million players mostly at $1 sub, with 22k in the UK, 10k on steam.....Some are even trying to push the unknown,,,,,,Digital is great, like what Digital? So millions are buying Gears at $60 digital, when you can gamepass it from $2 ?

I'll tell you something, forget about fortnite. Gears 5 MP will be as dry as the sahara in the next two weeks.....Anyone saying this is some resurgence of Gears MP is wishing rather than hoping......

Congrats to TC for creating a game that people play. Not my cup of tea though. Gave it a try on game pass for PC and got bored immediately.
Well, that's all MS needs from you, you're part of the 3 million, MS dont care if you never touch this again, once you boot this, it's another number added to MS's stats, to use in their PR......And on forums, people will go. Gamepass is successful, they're building up a huge base......Most of these people are going to buy MTX like it's nobody's business, this is how MS will make it's money...... :messenger_smirking:…….Yeah, Sure.....

Gavon West

Cash burn, they can't hide cash burn. They kept on saying for years cash burn would go down but its generally been going up. Netflix isn't a video streaming service its a cash burning business which sells stocks to the greater fools.
You still ain't saying shit, bruv! Its still making profit.

Case in point, maybe you "professionals" should just STFU about shit you don't understand. Just a suggestion. You don't know the in's and out's of GP, at all actually. You're mostly creating conjecture and false narratives based off of extremely limited information.

DanielsM

Banned
You still ain't saying shit, bruv! Its still making profit.

Case in point, maybe you "professionals" should just STFU about shit you don't understand. Just a suggestion. You don't know the in's and out's of GP, at all actually. You're mostly creating conjecture and false narratives based off of extremely limited information.

YOu don't understand basic accounting, its actually possible to show a "profit" but at the same time be burning cash.

Please get off the interwebs, you are making everyone stupid. The worse part is you keep doubling down on stupid.

Netflix will be cash flow negative of $3-4b this year.

giphy.gif

Last edited:
Who cares if they are making profit or not? They are a billion dollar company. They might be playing the long game who knows. All I know is Game Pass is what Games As A Service should be. You pay for a service and you get games.

Not Bethesda/EA GAAS where it means half a game full price at release, and maybe the rest 1 year down the line depending if they delete the roadmap or not(Anthem).

Gavon West

YOu don't understand basic accounting, its actually possible to show a "profit" but at the same time be burning cash.

Please get off the interwebs, you are making everyone stupid.

Holy shit! Pot meet kettle! LOL!

You stated Netflix was loosing money - They weren't turning a profit. I showed they've BEEN making a profit and continue to do so and that was based on an article from April, last year. That was my point.

So you shift goal posts and turn to terminologies when I call your bullshit out. Lol. Jfc...

Keep fighting the good fight warrior! You'll get em...... someday.

DanielsM

Banned
Holy shit! Pot meet kettle! LOL!

You stated Netflix was loosing money - They weren't turning a profit. I showed they've BEEN making a profit and continue to do so and that was based on an article from April, last year. That was my point.

So you shift goal posts and turn to terminologies when I call your bullshit out. Lol. Jfc...

Keep fighting the good fight warrior! You'll get em...... someday.

No, they are burning cash, not sure why you aredoubling down on stupid. There is no shifting of goalpost, you don't even want to read what I wrote. The irony of you calling people out, when its obvious you don't know what any of this means. Yeah, they making so much "profit" every year that they have to go to the junk bond market every year to fund their operation.

Last edited:

Mattyp

Gold Member
Jealous? I played Gears on my PC for 2 bucks, I love the deal.... Why would I be jealos?

See, XboxGAF doesnt like it when people point out the obvious. They want everything to be good news.

But that doesnt mean it would be good for business.

Let's let the accountants in charge of the company worth more than any other in world decide what's good and bad for business sha'll we. They've built a trillion dollar company on subscription services, they continue to outgrow any analysts predictions every quarter. They know what they're doing to get gamepass running at a profit.

MadYarpen

I don't know, I subscribed to gamepass to play Metro Exodus, decided to keep the subscription. I don't think it is that bad as some try to make it, I am quite sure some people will stay with the gamepass. If quality games keep being added, the service is really good.

No. But do you think I'm the only one who signed up just for Gears who isn't going to stay a GP subscriber?
No I dont think that but do you really think millions of people will not keep their subscription because, yes it truly is a great deal and service that no other company is doing currently.

Let's let the accountants in charge of the company worth more than any other in world decide what's good and bad for business sha'll we. They've built a trillion dollar company on subscription services, they continue to outgrow any analysts predictions every quarter. They know what they're doing to get gamepass running at a profit.

Thinking a company is infallible, is the mark of a fanboy.

Top Bottom