• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears 5 breaks records - three million players in its opening weekend

thelastword

Banned
I bet you more people played this on PC over the "XBOX" console, including XBOX owners with a capable PC, same achievements right, no need to sub to live for MP...You can also play at locked 60fps with much better settings.....Maxing everything up......

Celcius

°Temp. member
Very nice!
Hopefully they put the other games from the series on Steam too so we can catch up with the series if we don't have an xbox to play the previous titles.

Don't ask what that translates to in revenue, some people have Gamepass for free and on top of that it's so far from being the only big prestige title on Gamepass, if Gamepass was literally just the game Gears of War 5 only it still wouldn't amount to 3 million dollars in revenue because of the free subscribes lol. I'm picturing a future where you buy a 60 dollar Disney Movie Theater pass for the year because Disney clogs the theaters so hard and them bragging about how many people saw their biggest movie in one weekend, the real story would be how many new subscribers such a film created because how many people went that weekend is only a benefit to the theater owners selling you popcorn and soda lol. Though I suppose predatory microtransactions are the popcorn and soda of video games.

chaseroni

Yeah there are microtransactions, but what is the possibility of someone not buying the game @ $60 going on to spend tonnes of money in Micro transactions?....Gears multiplayer is no longer as good as it used to be, neither is it as popular, you don't own the game with gamepass, it will come off the service
eventually........Why would you spend all your money in Gears microtransactions? I think most people got gamepass for the Gears Campaign, I mean why not......
Gears multiplayer is the best its EVER been, as a huge fan of the past games this one is by far the absolute best of them. I can TOTALLY see someone spending money saved from buying the game, on in game purchases. You should try the game yourself and find out...oh wait....you're that PS only guy...that talks like this....

pr0cs

I bet you more people played this on PC over the "XBOX" console, including XBOX owners with a capable PC, same achievements right, no need to sub to live for MP...You can also play at locked 60fps with much better settings.....Maxing everything up......
I have a very capable pc but still chose oneX due to hdr and easier connection to atmos.

kbear

Jesus, the posts in this remind me of late 2000s console war gaf, absolutely disgusting,.

thelastword

Banned
Gears multiplayer is the best its EVER been, as a huge fan of the past games this one is by far the absolute best of them. I can TOTALLY see someone spending money saved from buying the game, on in game purchases. You should try the game yourself and find out...oh wait....you're that PS only guy...that talks like this....
Oh boy!

I have a very capable pc but still chose oneX due to hdr and easier connection to atmos.

Same here, HDR and Freesync on the OneX makes it a really pretty sight
No problem, I have a 4k, HDR+Fressync Monitor...….I can play Gears 5 in HDR on my monitor, I chose not to, I preferred how it looked without HDR.....I tried HDR btw......I can take screens if you want......Also PC has a pretty good ATMOS app.....

xStoyax

Banned
Spider-Man sold 3.3 million copies at full price in 3 days last Sept. And it was only on one platform.

Gears is a flagship exclusive, and the vast majority of people I guarantee rented it (i.e. GamePass for $1-$2). Many of those aren't going to stick around long term and are just gonna check it out for the sake of checking it out. Gears is on PC & Consoles. In the full scope of things, 3 million doesn't seem that impressive. Of course Microsoft is gonna sound pleased. You really expect them to say...fuck, maybe this isn't sustainable long term????

Lifelong Unique users isn't gonna tell you anything. What will be interesting is unique players by month a month or two from now. But you'll never get those number out of MS. Instead, they'll tell you how many people were chainsawed to death. Real Talk

FK6f50p.gif

Keep spinning it guys

How are you comparing Gears 5 to probably the most profitable game of all time? They will make nowhere near that much in microtransactions and the people that bought the $2 deal and renew will be minimal, probably not even enough to recoup the money they lost in gold subscriptions let alone the cost to make the game.
Giving away the game + gold for a crackhead price was a straight desperation play to get more subscribers, this game was pretty much written off as a loss.
I'm glad you're not running the Xbox division.

Netflix losses money on every customer. They are burning cash at $2-4b annual rate. Come back when MS invest $5-10b more.

The numbers really don't work out as there in nobody is signing up for $10 a month or more.

If my Aunt had nuts, she would be my Uncle.
You are crazy if you don't think as the population gets older and streaming becomes, even more, the norm then now, streaming will increase. We are in the infancy stages of streaming digital media. The growth potential is insane.

Smoke6

This argument is going to come up every time Microsoft releases a first party game on Game Pass, isn't it?

Microsoft benefits more from selling subscriptions than it does selling individual games.

This is a lie and I’m quite sure you don’t have what it takes to do the math to justify that comment!

$60 game sells for $2 on game pass!

How in the fuck does a $2 subscription for a game that would ya e at least broke even qualify as “benefiting” MS?

I’m lost here! Seriously dude digital is on the rise and a lot of people would rather pay that $2 than spend $60 but nowhere near enough to even pay for marketing for this game could be recouped from subs as Xbox doesn’t even have nearly enough install base as it is!

Game seems fun and all but let’s stop bullshitting ourselves with these sub services when they’re priced like this!

That’s like Netflix dropping subs to $1

Spider-Man sold 3.3 million copies at full price in 3 days last Sept. And it was only on one platform.

Gears is a flagship exclusive, and the vast majority of people I guarantee rented it (i.e. GamePass for $1-$2). Many of those aren't going to stick around long term and are just gonna check it out for the sake of checking it out. Gears is on PC & Consoles. In the full scope of things, 3 million doesn't seem that impressive. Of course Microsoft is gonna sound pleased. You really expect them to say...fuck, maybe this isn't sustainable long term????

Lifelong Unique users isn't gonna tell you anything. What will be interesting is unique players by month a month or two from now. But you'll never get those number out of MS. Instead, they'll tell you how many people were chainsawed to death. Real Talk
Lucky you also don't run the Xbox division.

Gamernyc78

Banned
Yeah, idk. So many things can change in 14 months, but right now, i want to play
  • slay the spire ($40 on psn, free on gamepass),
  • Outerworlds (will be $79.99 cdn at launch on psn)
  • west of loathing (not on psn),
  • Horizon 4 (no AAA arcadey racer on psn except the dead driveclub and garbage tier crew2)
  • State of Decay 2
  • Devil May Cry 5 ($47 on psn)
  • Stellaris ($40 on psn)
  • You get the idea
Now sony has exclusives yes, such as vr, super serious gt sport, and aaa critic bait 3rd person action games, none of which are free with cheapass sub, and none of which i personally would buy a console for.

So right now, MS is posititioning themselves to kill at the start of next gen in terms of value. and i say this as someone who dislikes MS and sees them as a tool of US hegemony with blood on their hands.

However, if the cost of the ms console is $600 cdn, with a $20 cdn per month gamepass cost plus $69 per year gold...well then PC starts looking good. But a $500 console with $72 for 36 months of gamepass ultimate, I’ll probably bite.

I respect your taste and I do agree gamepass is a gd deal just not good enough for me to give up Sony's first parties.

Elenchus

Banned
Wow! That's crazy. Running through the campaign a 2nd time and have not even hit the multiplayer just yet. Missed too many collectibles the first time and there are so many story tidbits to be found. Pissed I lost my relic sniper on Act II again! Lol.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
This is a lie and I’m quite sure you don’t have what it takes to do the math to justify that comment!

How in the fuck does a $2 subscription for a game that would ya e at least broke even qualify as “benefiting” MS?

I’m lost here! Seriously dude digital is on the rise and a lot of people would rather pay that $2 than spend $60 but nowhere near enough to even pay for marketing for this game could be recouped from subs as Xbox doesn’t even have nearly enough install base as it is!

Game seems fun and all but let’s stop bullshitting ourselves with these sub services when they’re priced like this!

It's kinda like when every other streaming service has a free trial... You know...to get you into the ecosystem long term.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.

Everyone I know IRL that owns an Xbox One (myself included) subscribes to Game Pass at full price. Anecdotal, sure, but that's the kind of market Microsoft is hoping to capture. Those $2 subscriptions (or whatever the loss leading, essentially "free trial" is this time around) turn into $120/year subscriptions at probably a pretty high rate. And rightfully so because it's actually a great value. Every new first party title that gets release just pushes the value proposition even farther. Obviously, Microsoft is gambling that you'll stay subscribed rather than just quitting after the trial.

Claiming that everyone is just getting the $2 trial and then cancelling immediately is like saying nobody is starving and grocery stores are going out of business because the grocery store sells cans of tuna for $0.49.

The other piece of math that backs this up is that Microsoft is looking at recuperating costs over a much longer period of time than traditional game sales. Gears 5 will be a highlight in the Game Pass catalog at least until the next console releases, and probably long after that. They're playing the long game. We won't know how many people will eventually sign up for Game Pass just because of Gears 5, but I have a feeling that Microsoft knows.

I understand why this ruffles people's feathers, because now you don't have a way of directly comparing apples to apples. Which is why I used the Tool album example earlier in the thread because it's been a massive success on streaming platforms but has been very niche and has comparatively dismal sales on CD when compared with 20 years ago.

thelastword

Banned
He mad he isn't part of X1X gang
Lol, you got me Chase...…. :messenger_beaming:…...

Why would you quote me? I don't really care how you theoretically played the game
Ahhh Ok, So HDR and Atmos right? and Theoretical playthrough right? I got you....

HDR OFF
9V02sls.png

SH60mgN.jpg

HDR ON
LoZniFL.png

abEkJbr.jpg

Now originally I used 20MB JXR's to capture the HDR better, even over best quality PNG's, but I guess I needed the HDP plugin so it could display better in irfanview….Had to downgrade to JPG for my hosting service, but I think the comparison remains intact......Of course watching these on an HDR screen would be better, but I think most people get the picture.......Just an FYI, the HDR is not so bright on my monitor, you can see the snow properly and it's more vibrant on the rocks and in the horizon with the sky highlights, but it's the village sections I did'nt like so I kept it off......

Oh and Atmos......

lQ9bfDG.png

DavidGzz

Umm what?

Gamers and casuals buy Sony and Nintendo systems for their exclusive software offerings that you can't get on any other platform.

Ok, let's say you're a fan of games from all 3 of the big three and you only have money for one console. Will you buy the console that has 100+ games you can play at launch that may be Scarlett enhanced or buy the console that you only have money for a couple of games? PS5+extra controller+3 games= $740. Scarlett+controller+gamepass=$570.

This goes for fans of both, sure some exclusives have so much pull that it doesn't matter but for people like me who loves Halo, Gears, and, Forza, as much as Uncharted, TLOU, and Spiderman, the first console I get is an Xbox unless Sony comes out with a solution to Gamepass.

Last edited:

Mattyp

Gold Member

Where you around when Netflix first launched their service? Yeah didn't think so. Netflix literally built their service from free and $1 subs originally.

Microsoft is in this for the long haul, all these Sony fans but mah $1 single month trial guys!!@!# People need to start being realistic, every single person I know with an xbox now has Gamepass, and pays full price for that service. For $10 a month it's absolutely insane value you and you would just have to hate gaming to ever cancel it after the $1 month is up.

People keep telling us on every single xbox game launch now, THOSE SUBS WONT STICK AROUND. So people just create new xbox accounts to get away with another month trial for every new release now is that it? Is that what we actually believe the bulk of xbox customers are doing? :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Last edited:
Congrats to Microsoft and The Coalition. I don't have XBox myself but if I did, i would pick up this game for sure.

Off topic: Anyone here see the same or similar thread back on Resetera. There are at least 5 (1 week) user bans on the first two pages alone and for comments that's not even that 'inflammatory'.
Lol i don't know how anyone there can have a decent discussion before you get jumped on by users questioning your motives and then eventually getting banned by the mods.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
The fact that a Sony dev can be humble and respect what other developers are trying to do in the space < Gaf posters crying about sales and “free” trials.

Seriously. It’s fucking exhausting to watch the same few spout the same shit over and over again.

If you hate games, stop fucking gaming, and if you want to pretend to like games, pretend to like them all.

People dont find it impressive cobsidering it was based on they were giving it away for 2 bucks.

We know that helped boost the numbers.

If spiderman sold 6 mil in a day while selling it for 2 bucks, do you think im going to be impressed? No.

Last edited:

Kagey K

Banned
People dont find it impressive cobsidering it was based on they were giving it away for 2 bucks.

If spiderman sold 6 mil in a day while selling it for 2 bucks, do you think im going to be impressed? No.
It was going to hit 3 mil regardless. I know I would have bought it if I didn’t already have Gamepass.

We don’t know the spilt between Gamepass and retail. Once NPD comes out we can discuss this further.

Until then this is all conjecture and you are assuming the worst, when Ms told everyone to get Gamepass to play it early.

Last edited:

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
It was going to hit 3 mil regardless. I know I would have bought it if I didn’t already have Gamepass.

We don’t know the spilt between Gamepass and retail. Once NPD comes out we can discuss this further.

Until then this is all conjecture and you are assuming the worst, when Ms told everyone to get Gamepass to play it early.
Assuming the worst? No, i just said its not impressive. If Sony did the same thing, I still wouldnt be impressed.

You guys get offended if a person is not impressed and simply want more data.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member

Who cares how MS gets games in Xbox gamer's hands. Whether it's $60, included in Gamepass, or even if MS decided to allowing every gamer to download it for free (even silver members), why do you care so much?

If Sony wants to charge you $60 for every game they sell so they can balance game profits with their money losing TV division, and MS wants to give Xbox Gold Gamers GP Ultimate for $1 so they can get oodles of GP games and first party launches on day one, why not be happy for Xbox gamers for getting a good deal instead of whining and being jealous?

MS makes so many billions of dollars they don't even know what to do with it. They can't even spend it fast enough..... that's why 10 years ago or so they gave everyone a special $3 dividend just to eat up cash.

Last edited:

Kagey K

Banned
Assuming the worst? No, i just said its not impressive. If Sony did the same thing, I still wouldnt be impressed.

You guys get offended if a person is not impressed and simply want more data.

I’ve seen enough of your posts, to know this is untrue.

phil_t98

#SonyToo
Absolutely, forgot about the Darkness for a moment there...….I would also like to see a Conan 2007 remake, but yes give me Gears 2, 3 and Judgment remade like Gears 1 remake on PC......

Not just that, but we're talking across, XBOX and PC (MS Store and Steam)……...So at $1 dollar gamepass, that's 3 million, with gameshare even less, remember PC guys don't pay for online, SO MS is not profiting from LIVE subs there, so why play this on XBOX instead of PC? This is the most bonkers business model I've ever seen....Ever...

Wish MS would share this tbh. All the MS fans are saying gamepass is a success???? Only 3 million players, so that means if we minus gamesharing folk and those persons who actually purchased the game, we're probably looking at 1.5 million gamepass subs across the world at $1......What success...

Fortnight is a game that everybody and their grandma is playing, the game has a pull, it caters top a wide demographic, there's reason to play too as kids are competing for millions now NO? Comparing Fortnite to a dwindling Gears franchise is like comparing Superman to Mclovin…….

Yeah there are microtransactions, but what is the possibility of someone not buying the game @ $60 going on to spend tonnes of money in Micro transactions?....Gears multiplayer is no longer as good as it used to be, neither is it as popular, you don't own the game with gamepass, it will come off the service
eventually........Why would you spend all your money in Gears microtransactions? I think most people got gamepass for the Gears Campaign, I mean why not......

Gamepass will go like this, get a $1 or 2$ sub when a big AAA MS game is coming cancel it before it runs out so they don't charge you $14.99, rinse repeat......MS is not going to make anything from that....

It is always good to see how much time and effort you put into xbox

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
Who cares how MS gets games in Xbox gamer's hands. Whether it's $60, included in Gamepass, or even if MS decided to allowing every gamer to download it for free (even silver members), why do you care so much?

If Sony wants to charge you $60 for every game they sell so they can balance game profits with their money losing TV division, and MS wants to give Xbox Gold Gamers GP Ultimate for $1 so they can get oodles of GP games and first party launches on day one, why not be happy for Xbox gamers for getting a good deal instead of whining and being jealous?

MS makes so many billions of dollars they don't even know what to do with it. They can't even spend it fast enough..... that's why 10 years ago or so they gave everyone a special $3 dividend just to eat up cash.

Jealous? I played Gears on my PC for 2 bucks, I love the deal.... Why would I be jealos?

See, XboxGAF doesnt like it when people point out the obvious. They want everything to be good news.

It doesnt work out that way.

I would love for Sony to release TLOU 2 on PSNow day one....

But that doesnt mean it would be good for business.

If they put it on there day one and announced 12 million in two days while giving 2 dollar subs, do you think im going to be impressed?

No.

Im going to say the exact same thing.

Its not impressive.

Wasnt even impressed when QD announced 1-2 million players for Detriot become human.

No one is jealous. You cant throw a fit when they're tired of MS' PR.

Last edited:

Kagey K

Banned
Jealous? I played Gears on my PC for 2 bucks, I love the deal.... Why would I be jealos?

See, XboxGAF doesnt like it when people point out the obvious. They want everything to be good news.

It doesnt work out that way.

I would love for Sony to release TLOU 2 on PSNow day one....

But that doesnt mean it would be good for business.

If they put it on there day one and announced 12 million in two days while giving 2 dollar subs, do you think im going to be impressed?

No.

Im going to say the exact same thing.

Its not impressive.

Wasnt even impressed when QD announced 1-2 million players for Detriot become human.

No one is jealous. You cant throw a fit when they're tired of MS' PR.

It’s so nice for you to look out for your corporate overlords. I’m sure that think about you the same.

Last edited:

demigod

I'll take a year ban bet with you that Gears will not be #1 on NPD.

Kagey K

Banned
I'll take a year ban bet with you that Gears will not be #1 on NPD.
With NBA no doubt it won’t take number 1. No game has before it. That is a suckers bet.

I might be willing to do something against Death Stranding though.

Last edited:

demigod

With NBA no doubt it won’t take number 1. No game has before it. That is a suckers bet.

I might be willing to do something against Death Stranding though.

Yeah I didn't think you'd have the balls to bet, it won't be #2 either. So much for your 3mil regardless.

Last edited:
Top Bottom