• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

gears 5 and the quitters problem

Lanrutcon

Does it actually stipulate that you can not quit the game at any point until a match has ended?
What happens in the rare case that the guy has a shitty connection and just kept DC?

Btw i'm not defending the guy. I hate rage quitters.
But I am gunning after the devs in this case.

Naw, they don't have to state specifics. They probably have a clause that says they reserve the right to ban for any conduct they deem to be damaging to the online experience (or some other bullshit wording that allows them to do what they want).

Good. I can't even get an Escape match started because people quit.
Escaping isn't quitting now? I was sure that was how it worked...

Seriously, I think cool downs of a couple of minutes that explain why this is happening could be OK. However too much of this could cut your player base and eventually I think nobody wins with a ban so long that the game will be irrelevant when it's over.

I hate quitters and they should all die!

lifa-cobex

Of course they should be banned.

Rage quitters being a thing since the dawn of time doesn't mean anything because systematic ranked play with statistical weight and ELO behind it built directly into a game hasn't. It's not brand new but on the whole is a fairly new thing that's being incorporated into more and more games. People who rage quit can play in casual matches or public servers, they're free to come and go, but if you hop into a ranked match you better expect consequences for leaving because you screw every person on your team and their ELO by abandoning.

Team Fortress 2 also severely punishes players with cooldowns for abandoning, they've adopted Counter-Strike: Global Offensive's cooldown methods.

NsldkPg.jpg

No one cares about people quitting from public servers or casual matchmaking which is why there's no penalties there, neither amounts to anything and they simply function as pick up games. Every time you launch a game you're agreeing to a EULA, being on the platform itself you're in agreement with a EULA. They can change things at will especially when it's to account for issues cropping up during online gaming, that is written into basically every EULA for every piece of software.

Someone paying money for a video game doesn't absolve them of responsibility and subsequently punishment for systems violations.
Fair point.

But i'm still in the belief that if you don't want people to quit matches then you need to adopt a counter or incentive for people to carry on playing.
Banning someone for a month to a year seems like bringing a nuke to a knife fight.

Last edited:

TacosNSalsa

Fair point.

But i'm still in the belief that if you don't want people to quit matches then you need to adopt a counter or incentive for people to carry on playing.
Banning someone for a month to a year seems like bringing a nuke to a knife fight.
The ones that quit most of them are the ones that are looking to bolster their stats. K/D , W/L just about anything that is counted I would believe there is someone looking to inflate it . What incentive could be given for that? If it were up to me , if someone quits mid match have all their kills in that match erased and their deaths multiplied by 2

The best counter I think is in Street Fighter , where they match quitters with other quitters and in think they are no longer counted In the leaderboards until they dig their way out if it 1

lifa-cobex

The ones that quit most of them are the ones that are looking to bolster their stats. K/D , W/L just about anything that is counted I would believe there is someone looking to inflate it . What incentive could be given for that? If it were up to me , if someone quits mid match have all their kills in that match erased and their deaths multiplied by 2

The best counter I think is in Street Fighter , where they match quitters with other quitters and in think they are no longer counted In the leaderboards until they dig their way out if it 1
That's a pretty dame good idea.
You could also have that stat posted next to your W/L.
You could have a tag put next to your name. (quitter)
Have an option that you won't level up/ unlock items anymore until you play and complete more matches.

Fair point.

You don't get banned for a month to a year for a few abandons here and there over the course of an extended period of time.

Why do they need to incentivise proper behavior? Don't quit ranked matches and there won't be consequences, I can't for the life of me process what's more simple than that.

The most that should be done is a 120 second rejoin window, if you fail to meet that it's an abandon, and if you abandon a second time you get hit with a cooldown.

The Alien

Banned
It seems hefty.

However, not sure if this was mentioned, this is for Ranked play. There are more casual modes where this doesnt apply.

I will say, when playing ranked, the skill level is high. When one player quits in Gears, it's hard to com back from. Knowing this, once one person leaves, more follow. I've played 5 on 2 or 5 on 1 due to quitters and it sucks.

I'm sure this will evolve. But for the rampant quitters - good.

dorkimoe

Gold Member
Horde is fucking bad for this too. Really bad. You get people quitting right after the start of the match, after a few waves, all the time. It’s like they’re searching for the ultimate squad of extreme pro-gamers that will carry them to wave 50 on the hardest difficulty, nothing less will do.

I’ve also seen PLENTY of AFK shitheads in Horde, too. They’ll play in 60 second bursts, go to where the fabricator is, get into cover, and just let everyone else finish the match and get them EXP and points.
What the hell is wrong with people?
Horde should allow people to join in progress, if i wasted an hour doing 25 waves and then someone left id be so pissed

It seems hefty.

However, not sure if this was mentioned, this is for Ranked play. There are more casual modes where this doesnt apply.

I will say, when playing ranked, the skill level is high. When one player quits in Gears, it's hard to com back from. Knowing this, once one person leaves, more follow. I've played 5 on 2 or 5 on 1 due to quitters and it sucks.

I'm sure this will evolve. But for the rampant quitters - good.
Yeah it produces a cascade effect, one person leaves and the team with the quitter know it's basically impossible to win now so they one by one leave. It ruins the whole game.

Niiiice, these bums got one more chance..but the urge will take over no matter what and brrraaaat !! 640 days in your dumb ass panicked face..DEAL WIT IT !! 🤣🤣🤭

lifa-cobex

You don't get banned for a month to a year for a few abandons here and there over the course of an extended period of time.

Why do they need to incentivise proper behavior? Don't quit ranked matches and there won't be consequences, I can't for the life of me process what's more simple than that.

The most that should be done is a 120 second rejoin window, if you fail to meet that it's an abandon, and if you abandon a second time you get hit with a cooldown.
Here is how I look at it.
Take CD projekt Red with The Witcher 3.
They knew full well that they would be getting pirated. They could have implemented a DRM system that is still debated on if it hinders certain games.
They could of implemented an always online system at worst.
Instead they didn't do anything of the sort.

In fact they did the complete opposite and rewarded people that purchased the title with free DLC.
This worked out monumentally well for them and consumers.

The guy who rage quit Gears isn't going to stop doing that. He's probably going to carry on doing that in other games and pissing off other people.
Putting in a system that rewards you to take the L might have more of a lasting effect.

Or as posted by
TacosNSalsa TacosNSalsa

Last edited:

manfestival

I definitely want some punishment for someone that frequently abuses leaving Ranked matches. I tend to hold my own in Gears 5 and carried my team while being down a man many times. It only bothers me during ranked. It is basically committing without actually saying that you are going to try your hardest to do your best to win. I think the Dota 2 system pretty great. Put these guys in low priority then and also give them a bigger cooldown on their matchmaking. Might be double punishment but it would be interested to see Low Priority being implemented more often. Almost like Street Fighter as well.

Top Bottom