• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears 5 and Gears Tactics now have Tier 2 Variable Rate Shading

Vasto

Moving Gears to Tier 2 Variable Rate Shading

Chris Wallis, Senior Software Engineer at The Coalition

Tier 2 VRS allowed Gears 5/Tactics to see an up to 14% boost in GPU perf with no perceptible impact to visual quality. It is available on all hardware supporting DirectX 12 Ultimate, including Xbox Series X|S, AMD Radeon™ RX 6000 Series graphics cards, and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 20 Series and 30 Series GPUs.

Xyphie

Just played Hivebusters on PC and pretty sure there was no option for VRS. Tactics had it before but was only Tier 1, so not very intelligent in what was sparsely shaded.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Just played Hivebusters on PC and pretty sure there was no option for VRS. Tactics had it before but was only Tier 1, so not very intelligent in what was sparsely shaded.
It has probably some stupid name in the options not directly VRS...

aries_71

I'm not sure I understand this correctly... is this already available in game or is this future patch? I don't recall Gear Tactics being updated recently.

Last edited:

Rikkori

The quality option in Gears 5 is great, it's a free performance boost essentially, but the other ones do lose that 4K sheen. Same for Tactics. Honestly every game should include this feature!

Last edited:

JLB

Banned
I just cant imagine what kind of performance gains this change can lead to. I mean, the game runs just perfect.

Rikkori

I dare any of the usual suspects to find differences between those images in the blog post
Why the images? I can go in the game and test it, which is what I did way before the write-up (Hivebusters). You can absolutely tell the difference on a 4K display immediately for the performance option, but less so for quality where it's more splitting hairs (but still distinguishable). And seeing the actual frametime numbers now I don't think there's any reason to go for the Perf option ever instead of Quality. I guess we'd need to see it on a weaker GPU like a 2060 and see if the math changes. I do recommend it though, I 1000 times prefer turning on VRS than turn on dynamic res which looks like dog vomit thanks to UE4's crap TAAU. Yuck! :sick:

onesvenus

Why the images? I can go in the game and test it, which is what I did way before the write-up (Hivebusters). You can absolutely tell the difference on a 4K display immediately for the performance option, but less so for quality where it's more splitting hairs (but still distinguishable). And seeing the actual frametime numbers now I don't think there's any reason to go for the Perf option ever instead of Quality. I guess we'd need to see it on a weaker GPU like a 2060 and see if the math changes. I do recommend it though, I 1000 times prefer turning on VRS than turn on dynamic res which looks like dog vomit thanks to UE4's crap TAAU. Yuck! :sick:
How do you know VRS is not enabled in quality mode?

Popup

I think it's really cool to see this kind of information being shared in such an honest and open manner. They explain the pros and cons and the measures they took to get the best compromise.

Top Bottom