• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GDQ bans speedrunner who ‘hates feminazism’

joe_zazen

I don't have any problems with this pronoun thing. It's what the youth apparently is into and sometimes it is legit hard to know what gender the runner is. But suspending people because of a political opinion of a country I don't have no fucking clue is ridiculous. Since the US just has two parties you'd have to ban all runners who support republicans, because they are "the right"?

well, most republicans. Apparently George Bush is a good guy now for some reason despite being a child killer just like obama and trump and clinton.

CrisPy2019

that is fing stupid xD
Actually it's not. Why would it be stupid?
Sjwtards feel save because normal people don't play by their idiotic rules.

Normal people don't care enough to put a stop to that bullshit.

We should care enough. Otherwise we don't have a right to ever complain tbh.

Iorv3th

I wonder if this decision will end up hurting the event overall.

GDQ is such a joke these days that it even has a donation message generator

Greetings from donation. Long time viewer, fourth time runner. I am donating because my donation has died from animal.

Wow that's great

Hey guys, long time viewer, first time donator. It gives me great joy to kill to a great cause. Greetings from Germany. PS: kill the games, save the animal.

I wish the next time chat gets on one of their very non political trans rights spam trains, someone would start a second amendment rights spam train, just to see what the very non political mods would do.

Enjay

Banned
Meh, I don't feel bad for anyone who got banned this year. That'd be like feeling sorry for someone who ran into a wall for the 100th time.

Dthomp

It really is time for somebody to setup a new GDQ, featuring you know, actual good speed runners and not neon haired weirdos who can't pick a pronoun cause they want to be different. This has been a really boring GDQ for me, the entire thing needs to be shaken up cause it's just same old shit each one now, but with more politics and stupid gender nonsense.

They got rid of him after he did his thing, because that way nobody would notice. Must be nice being Uyama, working twice a year with free autistic labour. Other staff must be on some reasonable payroll too.

Last edited:
He was banned only for his political view? Or he was publically encouraging something on the stream?

I hate Vox (they want to introduce guns in my country), but banning somebody just for their political view... If so, more than half of the global media should be banned, because if we knew their affiliations...
God damn, the sjw train indeed

ExpandKong

Banned
This is the event where they set up dilation stations right? Am I thinking of the right one? Is this even about games anymore?

Did he express his political opinion on their stream? Or was he banned just for having a political opinion?

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
I'm asking this genuinely. Can somebody explain the pronoun thing to me. Like I obviously know what it is, but what are they trying to accomplish with it?

Krappadizzle

Gold Member
Just because people are offended doesn't make them morally right. This shit is stupid. My generation is the softest generation in decades.

Last edited:

Banned
I'm asking this genuinely. Can somebody explain the pronoun thing to me. Like I obviously know what it is, but what are they trying to accomplish with it?

well it started harmless enough, right, with trans women wanting to be referred to as She, and trans men as He.
but then came in the pseudoscience bullshit peddlers with their idea that gender and sex are 2 different things and gender can be anything inbetween 2 extremes (male and female)... so they made up like 300 different pronouns which all have zero meaning.
now I think even most of those who champion the idea came away from all the hundreds of different pronouns and stick mostly to "they" as the one in the middle of male and female... but only mostly... there are still zir and all that shit out there

Last edited:

fourfourtwo

Neo Member
It's a free market isn't it? The speedrunner isn't entitled to GDQ as a platform. In the same manner, I would hardly have reason to complain if I decide to upset the neogaf admins and get myself banned. Big deal, anyone who's upset about toughen up.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
well it started harmless enough, right, with trans women wanting to be referred to as She, and trans men as He.
but then came in the pseudoscience bullshit peddlers with their idea that gender and sex are 2 different things and gender can be anything inbetween 2 extremes (male and female)... so they made up like 300 different pronouns which all have zero meaning.
now I think even most of those who champion the idea came away from all the hundreds of different pronouns and stick mostly to "they" as the one in the middle of male and female... but only mostly... there are still zir and all that shit out there

Right but...what's the point of putting the pronoun front and center?

Banned
Right but...what's the point of putting the pronoun front and center?

their personality is so shallow and they want so hard to be part of a group that this pronoun thing basically became like a club. no sane and well socialized person gives even half of a shit about pronouns. you can call me she/her (you don't know me and I have long METAL 🤘 hair so if you came from behind me this could happen) and I would look at you funny for a moment because it would be weird but beyond that it would have no meaning to me, and that's true for basically 99% of people.
but these people make their "gender identity" to their only identity and if that identity gets questioned they lash out.

and as I said, no sane person would do that, and you can tell most of these people are not mentally stable at all, others are just young and impressionable and might just grow out of it (like an EMO phase which was the go to trend back in the mid to late 2000s)

Last edited:

Herr Edgy

For everyone's sake, let's stop using this argument. Freedom of speech applies to the government limiting what you can say - not private parties. The GDQ guys are fully within their rights to tell this guy he can't use their stream as a platform, for example.

Doesn't make them any less cowardly, but y'know.
I think the argument, while you are right that it isn't illegal (but who made the claim it was?) is that freedom of speech is something worthwhile to pursue; otherwise it wouldn't be embedded into all democracies' constitutions. While obviously GDQ is allowed to ban him, it's not commendable to shut someone down in unrelated situations where political alignment doesn't matter.
It's a moral argument, not a legal one.

Unless you have a situation where your participant abuses your platform for political agenda (think of the recent Blizzard fiasco) and you specificially don't want that and people go against the rules, banning someone like that just for existing is unjust.

Drell

Didn't know about this but i'm not surprised. For what I watched, the chat was full of these "trans rights" activists not even watching what was happening in the speedruns. I was speedrunning Castlevania 3 some years ago and hoped that one day I would fly to the US for this event but not anymore.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Not only that, he still chose to go and visit friends that would be at GDQ last year, and someone in GDQ tried to MeToo him. Then after everyone that was there during when they met sided with Caleb, then she changed her story to "I was putting that out there to see if he made anyone else feel uncomfortable" and then after being mocked she deleted her tweets.

Brilliant. I want to support the runners and the cause but shit like this makes it hard.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
their personality is so shallow and they want so hard to be part of a group that this pronoun thing basically became like a club. no sane and well socialized person gives even half of a shit about pronouns. you can call me she/her (you don't know me and I have long METAL 🤘 hair so if you came from behind me this could happen) and I would look at you funny for a moment because it would be weird but beyond that it would have no meaning to me, and that's true for basically 99% of people.
but these people make their "gender identity" to their only identity and if that identity gets questioned they lash out.

and as I said, no sane person would do that, and you can tell most of these people are not mentally stable at all, others are just young and impressionable and might just grow out of it (like an EMO phase which was the go to trend back in the mid to late 2000s)
As an Italian, the pronoun war is particularly funny because in my language every noun and every adjective is gendered. There is no neutral genre. One of the most interesting battlegrounds of the Italian language is actually about how to gender foreign words, because a gendered article is required to refer to every single noun. It’s also relevant in video gaming because different people will “gender” a console according to popular use and how it sounds better to them. So most people will say “LA PlayStation” but also “IL Game Boy”. The only rule is that a gender must be assigned to a noun. That’s also why if you, say, call your baby with a peepee “Paula” or “Carla” you will put a lot of trouble on yourself and the baby - IF you’re even allowed to do that, because when you register the baby’s name the registry office will cross-check name and gender and probably just say nope, choose a male’s name you weirdo.

About AGDQ 2020, I watched a dozen runs (either live of from VODs) and I can’t really say the event was a SJW fest. The “ORB!!” meme was as obnoxious as ever, but there was no gender drama as far as I’ve seen and I didn’t catch any politically charged discussions. Just the people and the games, as usual. A lot of runs were somewhat sloppier than usual though, but I can only tell because I’ve watched so many Metroid, Megaman and Castlevania runs in my life. And boy oh boy, that Mushihimesama Futari run... kudos for just willing to attempt that live, never mind actually 1cc the thing.

Virex

Banned
He was banned for his double-plus-ungood think. GDQ and all other entities that are part of the ministry were very very unpleased with his wrongthink.

Last edited:

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
I think the argument, while you are right that it isn't illegal (but who made the claim it was?) is that freedom of speech is something worthwhile to pursue; otherwise it wouldn't be embedded into all democracies' constitutions. While obviously GDQ is allowed to ban him, it's not commendable to shut someone down in unrelated situations where political alignment doesn't matter.
It's a moral argument, not a legal one.

Unless you have a situation where your participant abuses your platform for political agenda (think of the recent Blizzard fiasco) and you specificially don't want that and people go against the rules, banning someone like that just for existing is unjust.

Yeah, that's fair. Allz I'm saying is, people shouldn't conflate the legal and moral argument, which tends to happen more often than not.

Helios

You don't hear this about ESA, or?
From what I've seen they don't give a shit. They were reading donations with "My wife's son" and other dumb memes a few years ago. They are very much what GDQ was back when they started: playing games for the sake of having fun, not trying to hold this "professional" event like it's some serious business. The only problem with ESA is the fact that there are quite a lot of europeans (Duh) and as such it's hard to understand some runners at times due to thick accents.

JSoup

Banned
I find it more telling that they waited until his part of the run was over.
"We find you objectionable and now that you've made us all the money you're going to in this run, please gtfo."

GDQ is, ironically, unable to prevent the cancer of political ideology from making it increasingly toxic.

Absolutely fucking disgusting that they ban someone after they've done their 9hr speedrun for their benefit.
As always, those who appoint themselves moral guardians to point fingers at others show how lacking in morals they are themselves.

Gargus

Banned
We should report them so they get shut down because of fucking with freedom of speech and discrimination.

You only get in trouble for doing something that goes against popular opinion.

Lots of groups ban free speech, cancel out people, promote hate against others, aren't tolerant, etc of other people or groups and they are allowed to because they are on the either larger group or they complain the loudest.

For instance gays, trannies and black people. They are often times the most intolerant people around and will demand censorship or getting rid of people who don't agree with them and they are allowed it because they are loud and or the majority.

But what I don't understand if were supposed to be a tolerant society then how we aren't? It seems many forget what tolerant means. It means you tolerate something, to put up with or deal with something you don't want to. If those people actually were tolerant they would simply ignore the people they don't actually like and well.....tolerate them. But they want others to tolerate them, not the other way around. Just like feminists won't tolerate anyone, they demand everyone falls in line with them. That's the opposite of tolerating.

There are a lot of people I don't like this in world. Racists, hardcore feminists, people who are extreme right or left, and so on. But I just pay them no mind unless they are personally effecting my life in a very real way. While I don't agree with some people I wont ever tell them they are wrong for thinking or saying what they think.

But at the end of the day it's their site, they can do what they want on it and set their own rules.

Top Bottom