• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GC More Third Party Support?

neptunes

I have no clue, though I know nintendo is strengthening their third party relations, in regards to having them handle first party franchises and IP.

neptunes said:
I have no clue, though I know nintendo is strengthening their third party relations, in regards to having them handle first party franchises and IP.
Actually I was thinking along the same lines.

AniHawk said:
Thanks. It gets me in trouble though.
Dont worry i was expecting you to say something sarcastic anyway but just so you know i was just putting the idea out there mainly because i think it would be nice to see Midway's only money worthy game on Cube... i think it would work out well.

Alcibiades

they better, only the most non-GCN suppporting videogame companies IN GENERAL aren't doing as well as those that do...

EA, Activision, Ubisoft = HOT HOT HOT

Midway, Rockstar, Acclaim = NOT NOT NOT

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
aperfectt00l said:
Dont worry i was expecting you to say something sarcastic anyway but just so you know i was just putting the idea out there mainly because i think it would be nice to see Midway's only money worthy game on Cube... i think it would work out well.

It's too bad Slugfest isn't on the Cube. It's a fantastic arcade game and would fit right in methinks. Actually, it'd be nice if all their recent stuff was it's good gaming.

Odysseus

Banned
Right now, I think it is as good as it will be. The companies providing support will continue to do so, and the companies on the sidelines will stay there.

GameCube owners have not proven to be enthralled with most third party games (although there certainly are some success stories), and the most recent hardware sales show new ownership slowing to a trickle. One also has to wonder how many of those new hardware sales are going to people that already own a PS2 or Xbox, since these people would most likely get third party games on those systems instead.

DSN2K

no, too late and many dev's have moved on from cube and are looking at Next Gen and continued support for PS2/xbox.

AniHawk

Odysseus said:
GameCube owners have not proven to be enthralled with most third party games

There are numerous reasons for this, but the main one is the system's image of being a "family friendly" Nintendo system. People don't go out and buy Nintendo systems for Madden, they do it mostly for Nintendo games.

hobbitx

I think there's a strong possibility Take Two might get Rockstar on board for some GTA ports, with all the problems they've been having they probably want to reach into as many markets as they can with their biggest franchise.

In general though, I think 3rd party support could be alot stronger for Nintendo if they got more demo discs out to the public. Sure people rent, but you just can't beat demos when it comes to letting people evaluate games themselves. About a third of the psx games I bought because the demos impressed me so much. I'm not saying it will be the ultimate solution, but I think it could help alot.

Jesus, did adelgary get banned for his avatar? If so, that's pretty lame considering his was pretty mild compared to some containing mostly bare women asses and nearly exposed boobs by other posters.

hobbitx said:
I think there's a strong possibility Take Two might get Rockstar on board for some GTA ports, with all the problems they've been having they probably want to reach into as many markets as they can with their biggest franchise.

I really doubt it. I think they're just fine with exclusive launches on the PS2 followed by an Xbox version afterwards. As you pointed out they've been having sales problems lately (although RDR seems to have performed above most people expectations) but the GC isn't exactly a place you go as a 3rd party if you're looking to improve your sales.

Drensch

Jesus, did adelgary get banned for his avatar? If so, that's pretty lame considering his was pretty mild compared to some containing mostly bare women asses and nearly exposed boobs by other posters.

Agreed.

Images of a sexual or profane nature are discouraged. Images presenting exposed genitalia, bared buttocks, and/or female nipple/aureola are not allowed. Outside of this, common sense and a "safe-for-work" rule should be the primary considerations. Also, spamming the forum with the same image is not allowed and is subject to banning. Avatar image size should not be greater than 90 pixels by 120 pixels, and no greater than 150k in size.

Seems kosher by this, assuming that's why he got banned.

Drensch said:
I don't see any pubes.
FYI: http://forums.gaming-age.com/showthread.php?t=2558

Above shows why he was banned.

They're peaking out in one of those pics.

Anyway, as far as the topic at hand, I think one problem is that the GC is absolutely a secondary system for a lot of people. When you look at something like SC2, a lot of people that would normally have bought it for their other system, probably bought it for their Cube instead, so you get the rare situation of a multiplatform rleeas performing best on the Cube.

The main Cube titles of interest for those multi-system owners are the unique releases. When it comes to multiplatform releases, peopel prefer to just buy those for their primary system. And it may not even be a preference per se, just the fact that for any given multiplatform release, the controls are usually refined for the PS2, and the graphics are slightly refined for the Xbox, so people are pushed in that direction (never mind the release date differences).

Chi-Town

efralope said:
they better, only the most non-GCN suppporting videogame companies IN GENERAL aren't doing as well as those that do...

EA, Activision, Ubisoft = HOT HOT HOT

Midway, Rockstar, Acclaim = NOT NOT NOT

Midway? Guess somebody missed the NBA Ballers sales figures.

ge-man

Chi-Town said:
Midway? Guess somebody missed the NBA Ballers sales figures.

Sadly, it's seems like Midway has done better after dropping Cube support. I don't know why they just couldn't wait it about a bit.

FitzOfRage--I agree. This is an element that I think has been ignored in the discussion of Nintendo's 3rd party problems. The GC is really like the middle child. It would be interesting to see a breakdown of who owns a GC. I have a feeling that most GC owners are NOT single console owners and that is playing heavily into the 3rd party issues.

Personally I feel large third party support doesn't benefit me as a gamer, but I'd be kidding myself if I said it didn't benefit Nintendo. Sometimes it does sting a bit, but only a occassionally when games like Guilty Gears, Metal Slug, Psi-Ops, etc don't appear on the Cube. Nintendo should work with the 3rd parties it does have to bring more of their games to the plate. There is no reason why the Cube shouldn't have gotten Phantasy Star Collection or the Sega Ages series. Or why Silent Hill 2 or MGS2 couldn't have been ported to the Cube instead of the Box. Nintendo has a good relationship with Capcom, Square, Sega, Konami and Namco so they should tighten those bonds and bring even more to the table. What would happen if Tekken 5 hit the Cube? Or Final Fantasy 13??? I think we'd see a huge shift of attention. Stuff like Midway I can forgive, they are worthless to me. Rockstar could benefit the Cube tremendously. What I'm really trying to say.....is that damn avatar!! I can't get it out of my head! Can't we ban the avatar??? I mean it pops out at me, not literally, when I scroll down the page! Ok, sorry.

Top Bottom