• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gavin Moore (Demon's Souls Remake Creative Director): "There are no difficulty options in Demon's Souls, and there shouldn't be."

bender

What time is it?
Demon Souls always had an easy mode.

soul-arrow-cast.jpg

theclaw135

Banned
The contentious issue at hand, is how much content should be "locked" behind difficulty. Creatively, games can do as they please. Especially when they don't cost money.

Being a commercial product introduces the fair expectation for players to be able to enjoy and experience what they paid for. In that light, actually informative tutorial systems are preferable to dumbing it down. Making the game feel hollow takes away from the journey.

Last edited:

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Reminder that a disabled quadriplegic beat the hardest FROM game with relative ease

You motherfuckers have no excuse. "I don't have time to spend bashing my head against this :messenger_sad_relieved: " proceeds to dump 100 hours into brainless-name-an-open-world-collectathon

Last edited:

DavidGzz

Hey, now easy mode(magic) is pretty af as we can see in their latest trailer. Just ordered a LG CX for my computer desk. Will be SO ready for this beautiful ass game!

Last edited:
If you have a problem with a genre sticking to its genre tenets I wonder if you really are interested in the game or you just don’t want to be left out of a popular conversation/game.

Your first Souls style game should be a community event. You should look things up, ask for tips on forums, have a friend who has beat the game watch you play on Shareplay, whatever you need to do to progress. Everything else following that is not that hard. People hear difficulty and think “impossible”.

Give it an honest try first or admit that you never cared in the first place.

DavidGzz

What a hollow(pun intended) experience it would be with an easy mode. The tough but fair mechanics are what make a Souls game. If you lack the patience, there are thousands of other games for you.

Thats a good way of putting it StarskySilverz StarskySilverz . Its a tenet of the genre, take it or leave it. I love how quickly Gavin answered the question. My man. Unless I am mistaken, no Souls-likes have difficulties. They wouldn't be part of the genre to me if they did.

What a hollow(pun intended) experience it would be with an easy mode. The tough but fair mechanics are what make a Souls game. If you lack the patience, there are thousands of other games for you.

Thats a good way of putting it StarskySilverz StarskySilverz . Its a tenet of the genre, take it or leave it. I love how quickly Gavin answered the question. My man. Unless I am mistaken, no Souls-likes have difficulties. They wouldn't be part of the genre to me if they did.
I think the only Souls-Like to have difficulty options is Jedi Fallen Order from EA (of course).

I just find it weird that everyone complains that Souls-likes are too hard but no one cries over rouge-likes being super hard and restarting you to the beginning of the game and requiring mastery before you ever complete a single run.

I just feel like the conversation is being had in bad faith most of the time. And the scapegoat is always FromSoft’s games, not Nioh, not Code Vein, not The Surge. Just the most popular one that EVERYONE is talking about...

#Phonepunk#

Banned
Magic is easy mode is real.

But a big problem is also the difficulty isn’t always just combat. Level design makes things tough. Should they remove all the bottomless pits from Tower of Latria and Valley of Defilement? Because it really doesn’t matter how much HP you have, those sections will still be difficult. There is that machine that shoots arrows in Latria, should it just go away?

What about the flying mantas in Shrine of Storms? Sometimes I would die by traversing the cliffs and getting shot by one of them. Or getting rolled by skeleton wheels before I could even attack them. The damage didn’t kill me, it was falling. Do we nerf impacts? Put invisible walls around every chasm?

Imagine Super Mario Bros. but there is one more level above super size and you always start there, that’s not going to make world 8 any easier. You can see how impossible an easy mode would be to implement. Even if you give everyone more HP and cut the baddies’ in half, it will still be a difficult game. You would have to fundamentally alter level design and enemy placement.

Last edited:

Reyziak

no easy mode and no raytracing.

just been confirmed.

weakstation already showing its limits.
Demon's Souls already has an easy mode, it's called magic. Sorcery is absurdly OP in Demon's Souls. Literally every Souls game after it had to nerf magic.

Demon's Souls already has an easy mode, it's called magic. Sorcery is absurdly OP in Demon's Souls. Literally every Souls game after it had to nerf magic.

I have never gone that route in any souls game. I don't kn w, i feel like I'm playing skyrim or something if i rely too much on magic (all my skyrim builds were full on sorcerers).

Reyziak

I have never gone that route in any souls game. I don't kn w, i feel like I'm playing skyrim or something if i rely too much on magic (all my skyrim builds were full on sorcerers).
You could also go with Faith and make a health regen build. You can still use melee, but like I said, magic is just completely broken in Demon's Souls, and a health regen build means that most enemies can't deplete your health faster than it recovers.

You could also go with Faith and make a health regen build. You can still use melee, but like I said, magic is just completely broken in Demon's Souls, and a health regen build means that most enemies can't deplete your health faster than it recovers.
Are they planning on balancing this out? I meant typically in these remakes, does game balance occur?

Reyziak

Are they planning on balancing this out? I meant typically in these remakes, does game balance occur?
I haven't heard of them doing any balancing, so it's possible that the spell casting glitches might still be in the game, but dealing with some casting Firestorm with the speed of Fire Spray is easy, just get out the Scraping Spear and break their equipment. Of course it's entirely possible that Bluepoint is gonna do balance patches, since From only did one balance patch to prevent players from recovering one of their character's bloodstain with a different character.

PedanticJase

Neo Member
Getting good is part of the experience, if you don’t have to get good then the games just remembering where all the spawns are.
If you don’t need to engage with the mechanics and just steam roll through then it wouldn’t be a souls game.

Boneless

An easy mode is best for sales, but these games sell a shit ton anyway so they haven't got to bend the knee just yet.

Can't wait to go through 4 Dualsenses on my way to completing this badboy!

Best for sales? That's a shortsighted view. Dark souls have the name they have for a large part because they are unforgiving, commercially they ride on that name. If they wouldve had easy mode theh would not have the same unique status

Top Bottom