• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gavin Moore (Demon's Souls Remake Creative Director): "There are no difficulty options in Demon's Souls, and there shouldn't be."

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
The people who want this, do you
Go to a museum and demand them to change the paintings and sculptures, cause you can't quite enjoy them otherwise?
Go into burger king and demand they make you big mac?
Go watch a scary movie, even though you don't like scary movies and then complain about it being too scary?
Go buy a shoe that's not your size and then get upset they make your feet hurt?

It's probably "no" to all those questions right?
So where does feeling of needing to be included come from, that it makes you believe creators need to alter the experience they want people to have?
This is what the creators want you to feel, anything else/altered is not the real experience.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Maybe, I know for me I'm just looking for a fun game, and overwhelming difficulty does not sound fun.
Fun means different things for different players, there are 1000 up on 1000 games out there with difficulty options. Not all games meant to appeal to everybody and I know people have very hard time understanding this simple concept.

GymWolf

Do those people annoy you too?
I mean, i guess they have some valid points, they are just gamers who want to play a game after all, but not every vg is for everyone, exactly like books or movies, also the challenge is one of the main reasons why these games are so beloved.

And they really are not that hard if you play the right way, wolfenstein new colossus or the new doom at max difficulty or stuff like super meat boy make souls titles looks like child toys, i had more problem with the queen of the valkyrie in gow at hard (so not even very hard) than 95% of souls bosses.

Last edited:

Tranquil

Fun means different things for different players, there are 1000 up on 1000 games out there with difficulty options. Not all games meant to appeal to everybody and I know people have very hard time understanding this simple concept.
I understand.

Tranquil

The game does provide pathways to make reaching the end easier and you are uninterested. Why are those considered cheesy but more or less walking through a mode designed to be devoid of actual challenge isn't?

Just want easier challenge, I like a challenge though.

Bartski

Gold Member
Love the interview, hype levels critical. The guy is clearly a huge fan and the game is true to the core. Did he say "fractured" is an option of NG+?
I'd actually love to start that way. 3 weeks!

Just want easier challenge, I like a challenge though.
Have you played any of the Souls games, Bloodborne or Sekiro? I ask because if you haven't, and you're avoiding the games purely based on others stating how hard it is then you're doing yourself a disservice. You say you like a challenge so these games should be for you. They're not NES game hard, require lightning reflexes or complex inputs. They just ask that you pay attention and learn.

Tranquil

Have you played any of the Souls games, Bloodborne or Sekiro? I ask because if you haven't, and you're avoiding the games purely based on others stating how hard it is then you're doing yourself a disservice. You say you like a challenge so these games should be for you. They're not NES game hard, require lightning reflexes or complex inputs. They just ask that you pay attention and learn.

I played Sekiro, got about 1/2 way through and decided I didn't want to continue. After every boss I had to calm myself down, never got the rush that other people say they get after finishing one.

Was just hoping for an easy mode; everyone in this forum likes options, except in this case I suppose.

Umbral

Too bad. It would expand the reach for the game. I'll buy the game, but don't particularly have the time in my life for endless frustration. Someone said you can grind to make it easier, so I'll do that over a protracted period of time. But difficulty levels makes games more accessible, and a launch game could use that. Uncharted was a phenomenal game on crushing difficulty, but if that was the only setting, then the game wouldn't have become a blockbuster.
Instead of grinding you could just…git gud.

Seriously, the time you spend killing trash enemies just to level up you could actually just get better at the game.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
I played Sekiro, got about 1/2 way through and decided I didn't want to continue. After every boss I had to calm myself down, never got the rush that other people say they get after finishing one.

Was just hoping for an easy mode; everyone in this forum likes options, except in this case I suppose.

Sekiro is really nothing like the Soulsborne games in terms of combat.

Saber

Gold Member
As it should. Really glad we still have people with true vision about their games who don't bend to the mass. You have my thanks.

At this point is no use explaining the same thing over and over. For a time, I already notice most of these people really don't care or just ignore any type of reasoning behind this concept.

Last edited:

Grinchy

Banned
Sometimes I lose in online shooters so those shooters should give me handicap points so that the scoreboard shows me winning.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
Sometimes I lose in online shooters so those shooters should give me handicap points so that the scoreboard shows me winning.

I agree. When I play CoD I want to be able to move faster and have more clips than anybody else. And more health. Because that makes it easier for me, so I can enjoy the game more.

Same logic.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Souls difficulty is fine as it is, but there's no need to belittle people just because they want to experience the series.

It'll just stop people from ever TRYING to get in the series.

People need to be encouraged, inspired, told how addicting it is to play Souls. Not be called names like pussies or snowflakes, that's kindergarten level discussion and has an opposite effect.

VmOj7Zq.gif

Souls without the challenge and reward wouldn't be the same experience AT ALL. That's what it's all about. So when people say "I just want to experience the game" they're not getting what the Souls experience IS. Overcoming challenge, risk vs reward, that's the CORE of these games. Take it away, and you have something else (something I really don't think would be that fun).

GrayFoxPL

Souls without the challenge and reward wouldn't be the same experience AT ALL. That's what it's all about. So when people say "I just want to experience the game" they're not getting what the Souls experience IS. Overcoming challenge, risk vs reward, that's the CORE of these games. Take it away, and you have something else (something I really don't think would be that fun).

I don't mean to take away anything. I didn't write anything like that. I only posted how insulting people instead of encouraging them doesn't do anyone any good.

I don't mean to take away anything. I didn't write anything like that. I only posted how insulting people instead of encouraging them doesn't do anyone any good.

People need to be encouraged, inspired, told how addicting it is to play Souls.

The Souls community does this constantly but are generally met with 'but I heard it was super hard, I don't want to, therefore change it all to my liking.' I can understand the frustration if I'm honest.

Wouldn't hurt to put a difficulty setting in the bloody game.

Yeah i get its supposed to be solid but that cool, just give options though for ppl like me that just wanna see the world and enjoy it, i aint good at these game lol

darkangel-212559

Dreamcast Love
I was shocked at how easy the game was with a mage build. i only played the first level and i remember having what seemed like infinite mana and i was just killing everyone with one hit spells from far away.

i think the lack of checkpoints is what triggers people into thinking these are hard games, but if you know how to unlock shortcuts back to bonfires, these are very easy games.

yes, the bosses can be hard but you can easily cheese them with multiple NPCs or online coop summons. these games are super easy.

Who the fuck summons for bosses?

Little bitches, that's who.

Also they've removed the opportunites for cheesing certain bosses.

Now people will have to actually git gud and fight Flame Lurker legitimately as it should be.

And that boss is a very real pain point for many players.

Just like O&S, if you can get past him solo then you can easily handle the rest of the game.

Last edited:

darkangel-212559

Dreamcast Love
I was biggest wimp of gaming and I finished it on the PS3. You can over level, stock up on healing items and summon people to help.

Not with the remake. If you read the interview the healing grasses have been made limited to make the game more challenging. Not to mention the stronger healing grasses you now take with you, the greater your encumbrance will be.

You can't just stock up and spam heals anymore and I support that.

Saruhashi

Banned
I think the part some of you are missing, is that skill level isn't the same for everyone. For you guys a "hard" game could be simply "challenging". For the next person, "hard" could be controller throwing frustration not worth even playing. Why would gamer number two not be worth Sony's money?

This could be said about anything though.

Some players might hate seeing violence in the games they play.
So when Naughty Dog made TLOU2 I guess they were saying those players are not worth the money.
Why not include a Kumbaya Mode for people who just want to be friendly and chilled out?

If you believe videogames are art then there is no argument here.
The creators decided to make this game, this way, and that's the end of the conversation.
Criticism is fine but bad criticism can be dismissed easily.

If you see videogames as more of a consumer good then I could see the argument.
When I go to a pizza place I don't want them to say "peperoni only or GTFO" I want options.
On the other hand as a gamer you do have options since other games are easily available.
So ultimately I would feel like "I want this game but without the difficulty" is kind of like asking for a peperoni pizza and then saying "with no peperoni".

I've said many times here that the Souls games are a victim of their own success when it comes to this conversation.
Had they been unpopular games with only a very small and unfashionable audience then this would never even be a talking point.
What seems to have happened is that streamers and speedrunners and people who like lore on forums and youtube deep dives on game design really lifted these games up and made everyone want to be a part of it.
Then it was discovered that the games are kind of a bit tough and sometimes not very intuitive. They punish wild and reckless aggression etc.
So we ended up with a lot of people who are saying something like "Hamburgers are pretty popular so i want to try one but I hate meat" and when they are told maybe to just go and eat something else they are like "no I want to eat hamburgers like everyone else".
You can't really win with that kind of person.

kevm3

He's right. Souls series is one of the few that hasn't been babying players. The difficulty is what makes the world seem so dangerous and fun to explore.

There's modern nintendo games if you need a game to hold your hand and need to win without having to cultivate skill

How can this beeeeereee

0194d5d83493297caa15daad6e6e4ee6.png
Maybe I'm missing something and I know a lot of people "liked" this post, but I'm not sure what people affiliated with those organizations have anything to do with gaming or with the difficulty level in demons souls. Pretty sure most people in those categories don't want the difficulty fucked with either.

Last edited:
Where do people get this idea that Souls games have no easy mode? Did the older games not have the ability co-op?

Bloodborne was my one and only Souls game and I played through the entire game with a co-op partner. I didn't have to learn any patterns or whatever and we just ganked most enemies/bosses together without issues. Sure we died a couple of times here and there, but the experience didn't stand out as excrutiatingly difficult or anything of the sort. I just remember using the axe you get at the beginning of the game and used the spin-to-win throughout the whole game.

Plus I remember keeping my summon partner in front at all times when exploring, so if there were any traps, he would die and I would just summon him back instantly.

I'm OK with the game not having an easy mode, the challenge is the fun part.

But maybe they shouldn't falsely advertise the game to get a few extra sales from unaware gamers.

You have to read in the youtube comments or look really close at some interviews to see that many of those easy one hit kills they show in the trailers is because they put it in dev mode just for the purpose of demonstration.

So many people will buy the game and immediately rage quit when they see it's not really like that, but hey, Sony gets their money, so it's all good...

Top Bottom