• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Garbage releases new single, "Empty"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Their new album, "Strange Little Birds", is coming in June. The first single, "Empty", was released yesterday:

yEuca3u.png

http://consequenceofsound.net/2016/04/garbage-share-sharp-edged-new-single-empty-listen/

Quote:

Strange Little Birds is the least “fussed over” album in Garbage’s catalog, according to a press release. Frontwoman Shirley Manson explained, “The guiding principle was keeping it fresh, and relying on instinct both lyrically and musically.”

I'm pretty much convinced they'll never top their first two albums. Still, I really liked "Not Your Kind of People" and I'll probably like this one too. What about you guys?

rogue74

Glad to see they are making new music. I had no idea. I've seen them live twice. Once as the opening act for U2 and once as the headliners. They were very good. Version 2.0 was a cool album.

Granted, they topped with Version 2.0 (which remains one of the defining albums of the 90's), but Not Your Kind of People and Beautiful Garbage grew A LOT on me.

I was a bit disappointed when they released "Beautiful Garbage". I kind of liked it, but found it lacked punch. The ballads were easily my favorite tracks, which is weird.

It was worse with "Bleed Like Me". I downright hated it when it came out. Now I think it's... good, I guess. I like some of the tracks ("Run Baby Run" comes to mind).

In my opinion, "Not Your Kind of People" was a return to form. I think most of the tracks are really good, particularly "Blood for Poppies", which has a killer guitar. Also, I think Shirley is at her peak in this album (her voice sounds so damn good in the title track).

Based on the new single, "Strange Little Birds" will probably go the same route as "Not Your Kind of People", and I'm pretty happy about it.

Chuckie

Doubt it, she likes men, not boys ;)

Lol.

Enough about your mom, back to the topic.

I thought the song was ok. But like many already said... it felt by the numbers. Not crap, not great.
I am still looking forward to the album though. It still is one of my favorite bands.

Saganator

Meh.

Early Garbage is never coming back.

I use to say this stuff about bands when I was younger, then I got older and realized that people change. You can't expect people, especially artists, to not change and evolve. The things that inspire them are totally different as adults with different problems.

So you're right, early Garbage is never coming back because that was in the PAST. You're meant to look back at it, not recreate it.

Ensoul

Big fan of Garbage and I am glad they are making music. Plus I have had a crush Shirley Manson for 20 years.

Ensoul

Haha, yeah me too :D

I did end meeting the band back in 96 I think it was. They were signing autographs in Boston a few hours before a concert in which they opened up for Smashing Pumpkins. They were all at a table and I said to them "I am just going to see you guys play."

They gave me a smile, said thanks gave me a thumbs up and said if they see me at the show they will wave. They were all really cool.

That was my brief (and boring story) about the time I met them.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
I use to say this stuff about bands when I was younger, then I got older and realized that people change. You can't expect people, especially artists, to not change and evolve. The things that inspire them are totally different as adults with different problems.

So you're right, early Garbage is never coming back because that was in the PAST. You're meant to look back at it, not recreate it.

Thank you for that, my favourite band is Blur. I like bands that change and evolve.

Garbage though fell off a cliff and lost what made them stand out in the first place. Never managing to get back there for me, and ending up quite generic sounding in the process.

Ensoul

Thank you for that, my favourite band is Blur. I like bands that change and evolve.

Garbage though fell off a cliff and lost what made them stand out in the first place. Never managing to get back there for me, and ending up quite generic sounding in the process.

Their last album was decent if you have not heard it yet.

Crystalkoen

I'd agree they fell off a cliff with Beautiful, but I'd say they managed to climb back up the other side afterward. Like, Version 2.0 was a near-evolution of G, but Beautiful went full-on genetic restructuring. Had its own sound, sure, but it's not what I (or many, I'd wager) were expecting from them, and I feel bad that Androgyny is the only song I remember from it.

Bleed Like Me felt like it was the offspring of Beautiful and G, not quite the same as either and being its own thing, with Not Your Kind of People being the GMO version of BLM; taking all of the good and trying something a little (but not a lot) different.

Plus I have had a crush Shirley Manson for 20 years.

She was my first experience with a "Bad Girl". My 12-year-old self didn't know what to think, beyond "I really like her". Oh, and "I really like this music!" Still easily my favorite music group.

EDIT:
What about after you've heard it?
You'll still think it's decent. But nothing on it will really stick in your head.

Browny

Banned
Cool, had no idea this was out. Sounds good to me, looking forward to listening to more new stuff.

Seems to be a good time for UK female-fronted bands from the 90's, after getting Lush's new EP the other week (which is also good).

Flavius

Eh, sounds like a "filler" track from one of their early albums. Like something locked away in a vault 15 years ago and just now discovered.

Not horrible, but if this is considered the most bankable as a single, I'm a little disappointed. Still, cool to see they are still recording.

Well, it's no Vow, but its also lightyears better than Androgyny

Man, I hate Androgyny with a passion. I was soooooo bummed out when it was released.

Plus I have had a crush Shirley Manson for 20 years.

Who hasn't? ^_^

Still easily my favorite music group.

Mine too. When they released their debut album, I was so mad about it that I ended up buying lots of singles and bootlegs. From my personal collection:

ugYPWaI.jpg

Since I live in Brazil, I had to import most of this stuff, and it wasn't cheap.

King_Moc

Banned
It's alright, but most of 'Not Your Kind of People' is better. That was a really good album. Still hopeful for the new one though.

Having never heard of them, watched all their older music videos and then listened to this new track. It's not quite as nerfed as Nada Surf or many other 90s rock bands that are still going, but if all of the song sounded like 2:46 - 2:57, I'd be more excited.

GhaleonEB

It's not bad. It's not great either. It's kind of a by-the-numbers Garbage-wise.
Yeah. I could tell in the first few seconds that yup, it's Garbage (which is a good thing) and that the song is just kinda...there.

Not Your Kind of People didn't click with me, after several listens I found it completely forgettable. This kinda sounds like more of the same, there's a spark missing that even Bleed Like Me had. I want to like it more than I do. :\

Dead Man

Yeah. I could tell in the first few seconds that yup, it's Garbage (which is a good thing) and that the song is just kinda...there.

Not Your Kind of People didn't click with me, after several listens I found it completely forgettable. This kinda sounds like more of the same, there's a spark missing that even Bleed Like Me had. I want to like it more than I do. :\

Pretty much where I'm at.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Yeah. I mean, my enthusiasm is probably at 11 because I'm seeing them live in a few weeks. With that said, while it makes for a poor debut single, it may spur a kickass live song. Some bands tend to put out seemingly mediocre songs that turn into incredible bangers during their acts.

See: The Prodigy.

I have no shame in saying MGSV introduced me to Garbage and now Not your Kind of People is sitting at the top of my playlist D:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom