• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GamingBolt: What The Hell Happened To Turok?

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

The games industry can sometimes be a truly turbulent place, and witnessing promising studios and franchises being pushed to the wayside in favor of projects that are known for a fact would sell well is commonplace. Over the years, many fan-beloved IPs have fallen to the ground for this reason alone, which includes Iguana Entertainment’s Turok.

This first-person shooter involving dinosaurs and aliens was a formula ripe for success, and the team did a great job at realizing the potential with a handful of great entries in the franchise. Of course, there hasn’t been a new Turok game in quite a while which begs the question – what the hell actually happened to Turok?

There was a cancelled Turok game that was supposed to follow on from the 2008 reboot. Had some cool looking packaging artwork and trailer.

1960069280.jpg
1pedrwy.1379322898.jpg

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
During it's time it was considered one of the GOAT FPS' than games like Halo and Call of Duty arrived.

bobone

Turok 2 was massively popular when it came out. At least in my school it was. There was a very large amount of kids that didn't have PCs and had never experienced a violent FPS like that before.

I think it died out because "modern" shooters took over big time and instead of innovating they just tried to copy CoD with dinosaurs.
It happens a lot. Developers don't seem to understand what makes a certain game a success and throw away that momentum with garbage sequels.

I'm not sure Turok really fits into the "games as service" model of FPS we have today.
But I would definitely love a new 4k60 single player adventure with modern visuals in the same style as Turok 2.

LRKD

Disagree with a lot they talk about in the video, "There hasn't been a Turok game in quite a while", lol wonder if they're just ignoring the 2019 one, or don't know about it.

Acclaim's bankruptcy was due to much more then just 'low sales', there were quite a few lawsuits as well. They kinda ignore the fact that 90% of Acclaims output was cash grab garbage, it's not that Turok was selling poorly, it was everything else they did. Nightdives remasters suck, changing level layout for no reason, and making the game incredibly easy. They don't mentioned Turok 3's rushed development for being a reason of its poor state in release, a pretty important detail. They mention how Turok 2008 had a planned sequel, but no mention of Turok Evolutions planned sequel.

Sure Turok released at the end of the "golden age" of fps, but that was really just on PC, I'd say it kickstarted the golden age for console gamers.

They mentioned that Disney acquired the game license for Turok back in 2008, but failed to mention that it is Universal Studios who has the license for Turok video games currently, a pretty important detail they left out.

Honestly feels like whoever made this video did the mare minimum of work on it, leaving out lots of important details and facts, and they didn't even answer their own question of 'what happened to Turok?', what a shitty video lol

IMO Acclaims bankruptcy 'killed' Turok. Even if 3 and Evolution weren't great,. it's nothing they couldn't bounce back from if they had the opportunity and backing to continue the series. Since Acclaim died, there hasn't been anyone who owns the ip and truly cared for it, it has just been passed around like it's trash. However even now Turok isn't really dead, since Acclaims bankruptcy, we've gotten 2 games, a movie, and 3 comic series. Maybe at some point Universal will decide to put in the work and make Turok an gaming icon again, or they'll sell it to someone who will.

Catphish

Disagree with a lot they talk about in the video, "There hasn't been a Turok game in quite a while", lol wonder if they're just ignoring the 2019 one, or don't know about it.

Acclaim's bankruptcy was due to much more then just 'low sales', there were quite a few lawsuits as well. They kinda ignore the fact that 90% of Acclaims output was cash grab garbage, it's not that Turok was selling poorly, it was everything else they did. Nightdives remasters suck, changing level layout for no reason, and making the game incredibly easy. They don't mentioned Turok 3's rushed development for being a reason of its poor state in release, a pretty important detail. They mention how Turok 2008 had a planned sequel, but no mention of Turok Evolutions planned sequel.

Sure Turok released at the end of the "golden age" of fps, but that was really just on PC, I'd say it kickstarted the golden age for console gamers.

They mentioned that Disney acquired the game license for Turok back in 2008, but failed to mention that it is Universal Studios who has the license for Turok video games currently, a pretty important detail they left out.

Honestly feels like whoever made this video did the mare minimum of work on it, leaving out lots of important details and facts, and they didn't even answer their own question of 'what happened to Turok?', what a shitty video lol
I find most of GamingBolt's videos to be like this, to be honest. Tries real hard to look the part, but it's mostly low fruit, padding, and common knowledge passed off as news. I don't even click their shit anymore.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
Because rage wars is the only decent one and arena shooters are dead

Turok is god tier. Before Evolution. But they’re all fun. 3 was a bit too ambitious and Evolution had some cool stuff but the hardware and and polish didn’t do it any favors.

Even 2008 which I hated the demo for, turned out to be a pretty good game. Just a bad Turok game.

Was my favorite series as a kid. I remember getting the first game for N64 the summer of 97 and being blown away by the idea of being inside a virtual jungle and catacombs etc. It was so incredible. I've often thought about how a modern Turok would work out, and I just don't think it would. It's very much a product of its time and I don't think it would work well with modern technology and tastes. It already tried and failed to maintain relevance moving into the 6th and 7th gens, and not much has changed today that would enable it to succeed all of a sudden.

Aldynes

I loved the first one, sure there was fog everywhere but at least the game was running well (for the time) the music was awesome, incredible weapons, superb animations, dinosaurs were extremely popular and the whole game is all about exploring.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Turok is a first-person shooter video game developed by Propaganda Games, and published by Disney Interactive Studios (through its Touchstone Games banner) for the PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 in February 2008, later ported on to Microsoft Windows in April. The game is loosely based on the comic book series of the same title and is a reboot of previous Turok video games. Players assume the role of Native American space marine Joseph Turok, who is part of a team sent to a remote planet to apprehend General Roland Kane, Turok's former commanding officer, who is now a wanted war criminal. After crash landing, Turok discovers that the planet is home to all manner of dinosaurs, and must fight both the predatory creatures and Kane's private army on his mission to take down his former mentor.

The game received mixed reviews from critics. A planned sequel to Turok was cancelled following the closure of Propaganda Games.

Top Bottom