• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GamingBolt: What Made Alan Wake One Hell of A Game?

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Alan Wake, if you hadn’t already picked up on it, is a game that has few contemporaries. Sure, the third-person narrative-driven action adventure game genre is technically full of games that fit snugly in the same genre as Alan Wake, but you won’t need to play it for very long before you realize that to sum it up as one of those games is a massive oversimplification.

I can't explain how important was Alan wake to me. From the first reveal of the tech demo until the release I follow every new about the game. Its one of the few games I finish twice and that's very strange coming from me because when I finish a story game once I don't like to replay it. A brilliant game that the only negative to me was the poor resolution on the 360.

The core mechanic of having to burn off the darkness via flashlight instead of blasting enemies at first sight. Completed it a couple of months ago to 100% completion and it was absolutely fantastic. There are areas where it does drag on and performance issues due to high draw distances, but the whole package was sublime from start to finish. The downloadable chapters are worth completing too, though the Signal DLC is much more superior than the Writer one.

TheRobot

Great video and a fantastic game.
I was disappointed with the Control AWE DLC but most likely there will be another collaboration with the Alan Wake a actor if the DLC is anything to go by.
Still didn't like that the video footage was played with low framerate and resolution.

Tiamat2san

The story was really good too.
I almost never play games on hard difficulty but I did it in Alan wake just to have all the pages.

I’ll buy a remake or even a clean remaster (4K/60 FPS) in a heartbeat.

I need to play this game.
Didn't know that Control took place in the same universe as Alan Wake until I Played the DLC. Control is a fantastic game

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Alan Wake is a renowned fiction writer suffering from severe writer's block who is unexpectedly thrown into a supernatural situation while trying to locate his missing wife. With that elevator pitch in mind, it's unsurprising that Alan Wake has gained a bit of a cult following since its release over a decade ago. It also laid the groundwork for Remedy Entertainment's connected universe, which now includes 2019's Control.

With Alan Wake 2 due in 2023, let's revisit this beloved thriller. Here's the story of Alan Wake so far.

Top Bottom