• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GamingBolt: Sony and PS5's performance in Japan is becoming a grave concern

yurinka

Nintendo is doubling Sony's profits, destroying them in hardware sales, and first party software sales.

You're stuck here having to defend their revenue and their launch sales which you yourself have acknowledged will soon fall behind Switch.
:messenger_ok:
No, you're the one stuck trying to brag about smaller things while the complete picture is very different.

You brag about Nintendo selling more games in a the top boxed sales ranking for a specific country, while Sony sold way more games when counting total global game sales boxed + digital. And well, if we also include DLC/IAP or services even more.

You brag about Nintendo having more profit, when Sony makes way more revenue and that difference in profit is only a small part of that revenue. So if Sony would have prefered to have more profit only needed to make some a few less investments. Sony prefers to invest back this revenue into making more games than having it sitting in the bank.

You brag about Switch selling now more consoles, when it's normal because it's on the peak side of its sales curve cycle (typically placed somewhere between 2nd-5th year) and the other ones are in the lowest side of their sales curve cycle (start or end). And shown the graphs that even previous Nintendo successful modern consoles and portable had a bigger peak during that period compared to Sony home consoles, but Sony consoles end selling more because they live for a longer period of time. And PS5 is getting a better launch windown than Switch and PS4, console that is the close 2nd best selling console ever launch aligned at its sales cycle point.

TLDR:
-Worldwide total hardware sales >>> Japan hardware sales.
-Worldwide total software sales >>> top Japan boxed game sales.
-Way bigger difference in revenue >>> way smaller difference in profit.
-Compare console sales launch aligned and taking into consideration the whole sales curves context and lenght of the previous consoles of each companey >>> only compare specific sales of a month or a year without taking into consideration their context.

You claim Sony being destroyed when it doesn't make any fucking sense since Sony is breaking many gaming industry records worldwide for any console platform holder (already posted in this thread) in many areas including the most important ones, that are more important than the subset of them you use to brag about.

Last edited:

leo-j

Nintendo is like Apple or Disney at this point. They are so iconic they could endure for centuries, especially now that they have all of their IP's on one platform.

Even if gaming goes to streaming, they will undoubtedly have their own service and that would dominate as well.

The IP they have accumulated are priceless, and worth much more than the newest soon to be obsolete tech and franchises from the latest shoot shoot bang bang.

How do you compete with this?

FmipPBYeMJi5BorHCBVYPR-970-80.jpg

You don't.

allstars.0.jpg

irrelevant comparison. Also don’t act like Nintendo didn’t almost leave the console market after the Wii U. Reggie himself said if switch hadn’t taken off they would have considered a different route.

but yes their Mario and Zelda ip are def iconic. But I will argue Sony is pushing to get their ip to that level. Games like God Of War and The Last Of Us are up there.

Last edited:

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
irrelevant comparison. Also don’t act like Nintendo didn’t almost leave the console market after the Wii U. Reggie himself said if switch hadn’t taken off they would have considered a different route.
Seriously. Some people have a very short memory. Nintendo literally followed up their most successful console with a flop so bad it almost killed the company.

And even as Wii U was bombing hard, we had people saying “well once we get [Mario Kart/Smash Bros/3D Mario/whatever]” then I’m sure sales will really take off”. As if these franchises are so powerful that their presence guarantees a console’s success.

Nintendo is just as capable of royally fucking things up as anybody else. This attitude like Nintendo just has to keep doing their Nintendo thing and they are guaranteed success is pretty ridiculous.

Rivet

Sony sold just 9k Ps5 the last week in Japan :/

Still 325 000 PS5 sold in Q1 2021 in Japan vs 8 000 (!) Xbox Series sold in the same period (that's 40 times more).

If PS sales are bad there, Xbox sales are abysmal, i don't even know how to call them (a very grave concern ?). I suspect we won't get a thread about it though.

Q1 2021 Hardware sales

Total - 2.147.877
Nintendo Switch - 1.744.974
PlayStation 5 - 325.061
PlayStation 4 - 59.889
Xbox Series X/S - 8.585
Nintendo 3DS - 9.368

Jokes aside, none of this matters when you're beating sales record after sales record worldwide. Sony is barely a japanese corporation anymore these days, and it's fine.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
No, you're the one stuck trying to brag about smaller things while the complete picture is very different.

You brag about Nintendo selling more games in a the top boxed sales ranking for a specific country, while Sony sold way more games when counting total global game sales boxed + digital. And well, if we also include DLC/IAP or services even more.

You brag about Nintendo having more profit, when Sony makes way more revenue and that difference in profit is only a small part of that revenue. So if Sony would have prefered to have more profit only needed to make some a few less investments. Sony prefers to invest back this revenue into making more games than having it sitting in the bank.

You brag about Switch selling now more consoles, when it's normal because it's on the peak side of its sales curve cycle (typically placed somewhere between 2nd-5th year) and the other ones are in the lowest side of their sales curve cycle (start or end). And shown the graphs that even previous Nintendo successful modern consoles and portable had a bigger peak during that period compared to Sony home consoles, but Sony consoles end selling more because they live for a longer period of time. And PS5 is getting a better launch windown than Switch and PS4, console that is the close 2nd best selling console ever launch aligned at its sales cycle point.

TLDR:
-Worldwide total hardware sales >>> Japan hardware sales.
-Worldwide total software sales >>> top Japan boxed game sales.
-Way bigger difference in revenue >>> way smaller difference in profit.
-Compare console sales launch aligned and taking into consideration the whole sales curves context and lenght of the previous consoles of each companey >>> only compare specific sales of a month or a year without taking into consideration their context.

You claim Sony being destroyed when it doesn't make any fucking sense since Sony is breaking many gaming industry records worldwide for any console platform holder (already posted in this thread) in many areas including the most important ones, that are more important than the subset of them you use to brag about.
Holy defender.

Thats a new angle I've never heard of before.

In that case MS is better than either one because no doubt Xbox makes less profit than Nintendo or Sony's game division. So MS' crappy Xbox profits is due to them sinking money back into Xbox.

Last edited:

yurinka

Thats a new angle I've never heard of before.
In that case MS is better than either one because no doubt Xbox makes less profit than Nintendo or Sony's game division. So MS' crappy Xbox profits is due to them sinking money back into Xbox.
PlayStation and Nintendo generate both more revenue and profits than Xbox, they are healthier businesses than Xbox as of now, but we also have to understand that Xbox is in the middle of a bold all in bet for a very long term plan where they recently started to make a big change and huge investment that if it works will recoup and generate profits several years in the future, not now.

We also have to understand that Xbox makes that in the context of being a part of MS, who has a shit ton of money so they can afford this crazy bet and that gaming is only a small part of them. And that to swtiching their gaming focus more to Windows, cloud/Azure and subscriptions needs also to be understood in the context that Windows, cloud/Azure and subscriptions are were the non-gaming part of MS is focused and where they have the majority of their business.

Gaming divisions of Sony and specially Nintendo are a key part of these companies, while for MS is only another one of many areas they have. All 3 are in a very different context and with very different goals and needs.

As an example, PlayStation wants to grow in Asia (mostly China and Korea, not only Japan) and also Sony wants to see their divisions helping each other in more collaborations. So in addition to what PlayStation did in the past, they will port more stuff to PC, will make some GaaS, some F2P, some Asian (again, not only from Japan) 2nd party games, some mobile games more, will port PS Now to mobile and will have more collaborations with other divisions like making more movies of PS IPs or putting songs from Sony Music artists on PS Studios games.

Last edited:

FStubbs

Seriously. Some people have a very short memory. Nintendo literally followed up their most successful console with a flop so bad it almost killed the company.

And even as Wii U was bombing hard, we had people saying “well once we get [Mario Kart/Smash Bros/3D Mario/whatever]” then I’m sure sales will really take off”. As if these franchises are so powerful that their presence guarantees a console’s success.

Nintendo is just as capable of royally fucking things up as anybody else. This attitude like Nintendo just has to keep doing their Nintendo thing and they are guaranteed success is pretty ridiculous.
This.

If anything, Sony is in a better spot as the PS3 proved that their consoles are too big to fail. They don't really have to try, just show up with suitable hardware and they win.

Last edited:
Still 325 000 PS5 sold in Q1 2021 in Japan vs 8 000 (!) Xbox Series sold in the same period (that's 40 times more).

If PS sales are bad there, Xbox sales are abysmal, i don't even know how to call them (a very grave concern ?). I suspect we won't get a thread about it though.

Q1 2021 Hardware sales

Total - 2.147.877
Nintendo Switch - 1.744.974
PlayStation 5 - 325.061
PlayStation 4 - 59.889
Xbox Series X/S - 8.585
Nintendo 3DS - 9.368

Jokes aside, none of this matters when you're beating sales record after sales record worldwide. Sony is barely a japanese corporation anymore these days, and it's fine.
You better don't look at Q2 in that case.
Ps5 - 272,930
Xbox Series X|S - 19,842

Ps5 only selling 13.75 times more.
A drop of 65%

Last edited:
It's not a grave concern, Sony knew what they were doing by focusing on other markets. The Japanese gaming market has long been close minded to innovation and foreign games, particularly western games. "Foreign game" is used as an insult, even, or another way to say "low quality". There's a saying: Yo-ge, kuso-ge, meaning "Western game, shit game."

They want things very simplistic, with hand-holding tutorials that seem to last for days, they don't expect much in terms of presentation, and again, they reject innovation. And if it's mobile, then even better.

So again, Sony knew full well that focusing on games that appealed to the broader world would affect their bottom line in Japan. How could they not?
They want things very simplistic, with hand-holding tutorials that seem to last for days, they don't expect much in terms of presentation, and again, they reject innovation.
yea walking in a str8 line with ellie in the TLOU is some deep gameplay hit me up when the west makes a game that surpasses DMC1 in combat or makes a fighting game as good as guilty gear or tekken

93xfan

Banned
This is all a result of Sony chasing the next big american cinematic blockbuster and closing down the studio's with soul like Japan Studio, not to mention get run out of the handheld space by Nintendo.
Agreed. Also killing Socom. I’d like to believe that’s part of the reason, so I will

Last edited:

CamHostage

BTW, I haven't read through all 400+ posts on this thread, but... is anybody going to post the actual sales chart that set the internet on fire here?

Gematsu said:
  1. [NSW] Minecraft (Microsoft, 06/21/18) – 14,912 (2,102,413)
  2. [NSW] The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword HD (Nintendo, 07/16/21) – 13,873 (234,224)
  3. [NSW] Crayon Shin-chan: Ora to Hakase no Natsuyasumi – Owaranai Nanokakan no Tabi (Neos, 07/15/21) – 13,798 (156,274)
  4. [NSW] Mario Kart 8 Deluxe (Nintendo, 04/28/17) – 13,615 (3,958,065)
  5. [NSW] Ring Fit Adventure (Nintendo, 10/18/19) – 12,282 (2,734,231)
  6. [NSW] Momotaro Dentetsu: Showa, Heisei, Reiwa mo Teiban! (Konami, 11/19/20) – 10,927 (230,976)
  7. [NSW] Monster Hunter Stories 2: Wings of Ruin (Capcom, 07/09/21) – 10,135 (205,463)
  8. [NSW] Super Smash Bros. Ultimate (Nintendo, 12/07/18) – 8,978 (4,367,573)
  9. [NSW] eBaseball Pro Baseball Spirits 2021: Grand Slam (Konami, 07/08/21) – 8,950 (159,492)
  10. [NSW] Game Builder Garage (Nintendo, 06/11/21) – 8,925 (200,100)
  11. [NSW] Super Mario 3D World + Bowser’s Fury (Nintendo, 02/12/21) – 8,248 (836,565)
  12. [NSW] Super Mario Party (Nintendo, 10/05/18) – 6,780 (1,952,132)
  13. [NSW] Miitopia (Nintendo, 05/21/21) – 6,536 (217,957)
  14. [NSW] Animal Crossing: New Horizons (Nintendo, 03/20/20) – 6,529 (6,844,545)
  15. [NSW] Mario Golf: Super Rush (Nintendo, 06/25/21) – 6,057 (161,785)
  16. [NSW] Clubhouse Games: 51 Worldwide Classics (Nintendo, 06/05/20) – 5,077 (762,996)
  17. [NSW] Pokemon Sword / Shield (The Pokemon Company, 11/15/19) – 4,974 (4,099,325)
  18. [NSW] Monster Hunter Rise (Capcom, 03/26/21) – 4,748 (2,303,192)
  19. [NSW] Mario & Sonic at the Tokyo 2020 Olympic Games (Sega, 11/01/19) – 4,639 (397,154)
  20. [NSW] Splatoon 2 (Nintendo, 07/21/17) – 4,460 (3,915,901)
  21. [NSW] The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (Nintendo, 03/03/17) – 4,210 (1,852,012)
  22. [NSW] The Great Ace Attorney Chronicles (Capcom, 07/29/21) – 3,737 (18,197)
  23. [NSW] NEO: The World Ends With You (Square Enix, 07/27/21) – 3,229 (22,028)
  24. [NSW] The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel II (Clouded Leopard Entertainment, 08/05/21) – 2,853 (New)
  25. [NSW] New Pokemon Snap (The Pokemon Company, 04/30/21) – 2,756 (265,980)
  26. [NSW] Taiko no Tatsujin: Drum ‘n’ Fun (Bandai Namco, 07/19/18) – 2,620 (613,725)
  27. [NSW] Ace Angler: Nintendo Switch Version (Bandai Namco, 07/25/19) – 2,577 (604,827)
  28. [NSW] Human Fall Flat (Teyon Japan, 06/25/20) – 2,447 (168,897)
  29. [NSW] Dragon Quest XI S: Echoes of an Elusive Age Definitive Edition (New Price Version) (Square Enix, 12/04/20) – 2,274 (122,574)
  30. [NSW] Super Mario Maker 2 (Nintendo, 06/28/19) – 2,256 (1,116,046)

It's 200k games total. Minecraft was #1. 3 of the top 5 are over two years old.

Incidentally, next week Famitsu's #1 game was Yu-Gi-Oh! Rush Duel and it did almost 100k, so one game sold half as much as that whole week. (BTW, it's a Switch game, and probably the streak will repeat when the full 30 comes out as I don't know what else is going to chart.) It's not a good time to be Sony in Japan, and it's good to see that Switch is popular (by these numbers, although they don't list digital; we can assume eShop sales are also good given the hardware sales but it's not a factor here) in a territory that it should be healthy in, but I don't know if this was the week to make a grand statement of grave concern...?

Last edited:

Yoboman

It comes with the territory.

You're going to see a lot of Sony is doomed articles this gen because Switch is dominating and Xbox is strengthening.

Personally, I think the PS5 will do good, maybe even great,

but they've lost significant marketshare from the Xone, and Wii U, and PS4 days where they ran the gamut with an iron fist.
They are outselling PS4 so how have they lost market share?

Marty-McFly

Banned
They are outselling PS4 so how have they lost market share?
Marketshare is the pie chart divided between the console makers.

Nintendo's piece now represents a giant piece of the chart, wherein the Wii U days it was puny and Sony's piece was over half.

Xbox is the unknown variable here, but with the probable GOTY coming this year in Halo Infinite (I've played it trust me) that has free online, and the Bethesda acquisition, along with the growing popularity of Gamepass, they will most likely take a much bigger piece of the pie this generation as well.

I'm in Japan and I just went through my regular 9:15 Friday morning dance of checking Twitter restock notifications, going to Amazon and missing out on a PS5. I've been doing this for 6 months now. It's not that people don't want to buy the console, it's that they can't unless you pay an inflated price via Yahoo Auctions or Mericari. Hell, I can't even seem to find a PS4 controller at list price anymore. I'm stuck playing on PS4 and need a new controller but the prices are crazy. PS5 controllers are cheaper but of course, they don't work on a PS4 without going through some bullshit. It is a weird situation, that's for sure.

Last edited:
I think Nintendo will rule Japan for a prolonged period of time especially with Sony’s current direction. The frightening part is, the Nintendo Switch is still hard to find at least where I live and it’s over 4 years old.

Last edited:

That's not an invalid argument at all.
They definitely are putting way more money into Xbox than they are making, which benefits Xbox owners tremendously. However, a lack of return on investment is a bit of a problem.
Lots of profit is good for business not so good for consumers, less profit is not as good for business, not as bad for consumers. Making a loss is great for consumers, but bad for business.

The world is not binary.

Marketshare is the pie chart divided between the console makers.

Nintendo's piece now represents a giant piece of the chart, wherein the Wii U days it was puny and Sony's piece was over half.

Xbox is the unknown variable here, but with the probable GOTY coming this year in Halo Infinite (I've played it trust me) that has free online, and the Bethesda acquisition, along with the growing popularity of Gamepass, they will most likely take a much bigger piece of the pie this generation as well.

Relax man, its been 8 months. Its too early to make pronouncements about the death of Sony in Japan. If Nintendo can come back from the absolute shitfest disasterclass that is the Wii U, then Sony can come back from a rocky launch for the PS5 in Japan, because unlike the Wii U at the very least the PS5 is successful everywhere else on Earth.

Last edited:
I think Nintendo will rule Japan for a prolonged period of time especially with Sony’s current direction. The frightening part is, the Nintendo Switch is still hard to find at least where I live and it’s over 4 years old.
Where do you live? Very curious about where in the world the Switch is still having shortages.

Marty-McFly

Banned
VGChartz is fine with regards to hardware estimates.

Not really. We just got the Japanese PS5 hardware numbers today and they were 9 K this week, while VG Chartz reported 13.5

They basically make numbers up and then readjust afterwards when the real numbers come out.

Hardware Chart 07th Aug 2021

naflag.png
euflag.png
jpflag.png
earth.png
NS
95,161​
77,299​
72,889​
293,514​
PS5
57,961​
79,342​
13,547​
180,170​
XS
63,294​
41,868​
1,087​
125,591​
PS4
10,524​
14,004​
1,403​
28,346​
XOne
8,897​
2,527​
N/A​
12,639​
3DS
N/A​
N/A​
302​
30​

Not really. We just got the Japanese PS5 hardware numbers today and they were 9 K this week, while VG Chartz reported 13.5

They basically make numbers up and then readjust afterwards when the real numbers come out.
I’ll say that’s still close enough. No one is talking about exact numbers here. They did get the PS5 reaching 10M correctly.

Mobile Suit Gooch

Grundle: The Awakening

Man. I was lead to believe that X/S was doing well in Japan.

Japan is smarthpone territory anyway.

Playstation is king of gaming on a global scale and has stolen the crown from Nintendo 25 years ago.

And PS5 is the fastest selling launch console of all time. Just lol at these clickbait threads made by insecure nintendo fanboys having a hard time with being in second place since N64 times.

Woopah

Japan is smarthpone territory anyway.

Playstation is king of gaming on a global scale and has stolen the crown from Nintendo 25 years ago.

And PS5 is the fastest selling launch console of all time. Just lol at these clickbait threads made by insecure nintendo fanboys having a hard time with being in second place since N64 times.
Every country is smartphone territory. The smartphone industry and dedicated video game device industry are coexisting in Japan just like they are everywhere else..

It would be concern if Sony hadn't seen this coming years ago.

In fact I did along with most people who follow Japan and I think Sony CEO suite is smarter than I am.

Hezekiah

Banned
I guess you still have about 15 days left to keep bragging about that talking point.

After that you'll only be left with but muh revenue! :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Nice of you to copy someone else's post, you're a real Einstein 😁.

But first to 10m is first to 10m. That will continue to be PS5. Just like the highest selling console will continue to be PS2. And the highest console still supported continues to be PS4 😎.

Hell Sony even has the best selling mobile game too! 🔥🔥🔥

Marty-McFly

Banned
Nice of you to copy someone else's post, you're a real Einstein 😁.

But first to 10m is first to 10m. That will continue to be PS5. Just like the highest selling console will continue to be PS2. And the highest console still supported continues to be PS4 😎.

Hell Sony even has the best selling mobile game too! 🔥🔥🔥
Pretty weak reply.

Copy someone elses post? You mean Matt Piscatella's tweet? :messenger_neutral:

First to ten million? Okay you keep holding on to that because Switch is about to be the first to 11 million. :messenger_tears_of_joy: Fastest selling console launch aligned. Fastest selling console ever.

Last edited:

StormCell

When youre looking at the big picture PS5 is still doing fine

And id consider Switch is a handheld system not console

33ahmBI.jpg

And dont wory sony will make a comeback sooner or latter in Japan after supply shortage is over

Have a nice day

Why not both?

If you think no one or very few people are hooking it up to their TVs, you're wrong. Way wrong. Switch sells because it does both.

Last edited:

Ev1L AuRoN

It's no secret that the console gaming market in Japan is getting smaller, portables are the primary sellers in Japan I believe since the 7th gen. Switch being a hybrid console is perfect to that market, I don't think that Sony can do anything to change that trend other than competing on the handheld market.

Japan is basically irrelevant in the home console gaming world these days, the switch being the exception because of its handheld ability. Japanese console sales have been on the decline for generations, and their contributions to software has also drastically reduced. Remember the 360/PS3 generation and how almost all Japanese devs struggled with the “move to HD”?

It’s just not a market of any real importance to Sony or Microsoft anymore. The 360 sold 85+ million consoles with peanuts from Japan. The xb1 sold probably 60 million with no help from Japan. The PS4 has sold like 120 mill with what, 8 mil from Japan?

Niche gaming places like this that love their weibo Japanese “quirky” games might hate it, but it’s the truth. Japan just isn’t very relevant to gaming anymore. PlayStation is basically American at this point.

Yes FIFA is unironically more important to Sony than all the JRPGs combined.

It's also telling that when Sony does talk about Japanese games it's always stuff that appeals to the West like From and whatever Kojima is doing.
I think neogaf is still stuck in the PS2 era.
Let it go!

Woopah

It's no secret that the console gaming market in Japan is getting smaller, portables are the primary sellers in Japan I believe since the 7th gen. Switch being a hybrid console is perfect to that market, I don't think that Sony can do anything to change that trend other than competing on the handheld market.
A handheld wouldn't do them any good unless they had the software. What PlayStation needs in Japan is exclusive new or growing franchises that are popular in the country, but that's not really something first or third party franchises have delivered much of recently. Things like Ghost of Tsushima, Monster Hunter World and Nier Automata were good but they're not enough.

CS Lurker

Personally, I see the ps5 selling less than the ps4, as I expect the xbox to sell better than the Xone, and I also don't believe we're gonna see this market to grow (sony and MS are fighting for the same ~175
million users of the last gen, I believe).

Also, having faster sales at the start doesn't necessarily mean it will keep up like this through the next 7 years.

Last edited:

KAL2006

Banned
It's a waste of time trying to appeal to Japan there market is handhelds. Vita has shown handhelds don't work for Sony it's not worth splitting Devs working on a handheld or gimping their PS5 hardware to work as a hybrid. I do agree that Sony should at the least make Japanese game that can appeal to Western market for the sake of game variety. Them investing in Asobi is a good thih as Astrobot is a decent game. We also need more Sony owned Japanese developers and IP. Things like Forespoken, Final Fantasy, Pragmata are just time exclusives that are not IPs that Sony own. We need a Japanese action RPG that's owned by Sony. They could have chased the Monster Hunter type game with a bigger budget Soul Sacrifice or Freedom Wars but for consoles.

DrAspirino

Banned
Japan is not "home territory" to Playstation anymore. Its a truly global brand.
Like Volkswagen is not a "German brand", but a global one?

Like Samsung is not a Korean brand, but a global one?

Like Microsoft is not an American brand, but a global one?

Come on, man.... Sony PlayStation IS a JAPANESE brand. Their entire history and "raison d'être" was taking Japan (and later the world) gaming market from Nintendo, which is another japanese brand.

PlayStation "failing" in Japan IS a reason of concern in the same regard as Volkswagen failing in Germany, Microsoft failing in USA or Samsung failing in Korea. If they lose their home market, they lose their identity.

farmerboy

Like Volkswagen is not a "German brand", but a global one?

Like Samsung is not a Korean brand, but a global one?

Like Microsoft is not an American brand, but a global one?

Come on, man.... Sony PlayStation IS a JAPANESE brand. Their entire history and "raison d'être" was taking Japan (and later the world) gaming market from Nintendo, which is another japanese brand.

PlayStation "failing" in Japan IS a reason of concern in the same regard as Volkswagen failing in Germany, Microsoft failing in USA or Samsung failing in Korea. If they lose their home market, they lose their identity.
Well then I think you're really talking more about their heritage which is Japanese for sure. I don't think you can really call them Japanese anymore.

In saying that, I do agree with you that that heritage IS important. And Sony would do well to try and foster that again, lest we lose the Ico's and Demon Souls of this world.

Woopah

BTW, I haven't read through all 400+ posts on this thread, but... is anybody going to post the actual sales chart that set the internet on fire here?

It's 200k games total. Minecraft was #1. 3 of the top 5 are over two years old.

Incidentally, next week Famitsu's #1 game was Yu-Gi-Oh! Rush Duel and it did almost 100k, so one game sold half as much as that whole week. (BTW, it's a Switch game, and probably the streak will repeat when the full 30 comes out as I don't know what else is going to chart.) It's not a good time to be Sony in Japan, and it's good to see that Switch is popular (by these numbers, although they don't list digital; we can assume eShop sales are also good given the hardware sales but it's not a factor here) in a territory that it should be healthy in, but I don't know if this was the week to make a grand statement of grave concern...?
It was because that was the first time ever that Switch got the full top 30. It wasn't really to do with the software numbers sold in that particular week.

SkylineRKR

Sony is a multinational conglomerate. But their origins are in Japan. They operate world wide. Sony is right in not wanting to try to capture Japan. For that they would have to battle Nintendo, which would mean they have to alter the PS5 and its portfolio upside down. They aren't going to create a handheld design just to capture share in Japan. They rather want that huge slice which is the rest of the world.

its not Sony's fault that Japan ignores home consoles. The PS4 barely outsold the PS3 (in fact it didn't at all), while it eclipsed the latter in the rest of the world. You can't say the PS4 was lacking in Japanese software output.

Top Bottom