• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GamingBolt: Sony and PS5's performance in Japan is becoming a grave concern

CamHostage

It was because that was the first time ever that Switch got the full top 30. It wasn't really to do with the software numbers sold in that particular week.
Sure, but it's just trivia then. Supposedly "the internet is on fire" over this happening, but if you were following the Famitsu Sales for boxed products all year, you'd know it was pure domination of the Switch for a good long while now. It's a popular platform, and it does particularly well in Japan. So that's nothing new, with or without this black mark on Sony's record (...in the middle of a dead summer, on a chart dominated by old Minecraft and Zelda HD and Mario Kart 8 sales.)

I'm more concerned that Neo World Ends With You looks to be topping out at 30k copies (22+k on Switch, less than 10k on PS4), or how Scarlet Nexus fell off already and taped out at 40K, or If Tales of Arise doesn't chart a few weeks from now (will be interesting to see if/where PSO:New Genesis appears next week,) as those things can affect me as a gamer for the titles I'd be interested in, on any platform. As is, I see the new chart and go, "Hey, nice feather for Nintendo's cap, I love my Switch so great to see Japan loves theirs too, no good news for Sony again, heh that Shin-Chan is still going, but otherwise nothing much came out recently, so not much new to learn here... oh, what's this, the internet is on fire?!"

Last edited:

Woopah

Sure, but it's just trivia then. Supposedly "the internet is on fire" over this happening, but if you were following the Famitsu Sales for boxed products all year, you'd know it was pure domination of the Switch for a good long while now. It's a popular platform, and it does particularly well in Japan. So that's nothing new, with or without this black mark on Sony's record (...in the middle of a dead summer, on a chart dominated by old Minecraft and Zelda HD and Mario Kart 8 sales.)

I'm more concerned that Neo World Ends With You looks to be topping out at 30k copies (22+k on Switch, less than 10k on PS4), or how Scarlet Nexus fell off already and taped out at 40K, or If Tales of Arise doesn't chart a few weeks from now (will be interesting to see if/where PSO:New Genesis appears next week,) as those things can affect me as a gamer for the titles I'd be interested in, on any platform. As is, I see the new chart and go, "Hey, nice feather for Nintendo's cap, no good news for Sony again, heh that Shin-Chan is still going, but otherwise nothing much came out recently, so not much new to learn here... oh, what's this, the internet is on fire?!"
Yes it's just trivia. The "internet being on fire" is pure hyberpole, as you say this has been coming for a while now and isn't a shock for anyone who follows Japan sales. Summer 2021 was just a period with a lack of PS releases and several Switch third party exclusives.

I don't think a full Switch top 30 will happen every single week, but going forward we will see it happen from time to time.

The internet should be on fire if a PlayStation was beaten by another home console in Japan. Last time that happened was the Wii I think?

NovaSe7en

As long as their publishers continue to port everything to PC, I honestly couldn't care less where Japan's loyalties lie.

It was of grave concern to me a few generations ago, but not now.

Armorian

Banned
They can totally ignore Japan and still sell tons of PS consoles. What's the problem?

This market is completely different the rest of the world and looks like Nintendo nailed Japanese needs with Switch. There is no point for Sony to chase that when they can't keep up with PS5 production...

Top Bottom