• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GamingBolt gives Horizon 7 on PC after giving PS4 version a 10

Maybe they didn’t receive a bonus this time, or maybe the game hasn’t aged well, plus the fact the port is average at best.

Can’t wait for tomorrow to try it on my own just to see if the port is as bad as some claim

Vawn

Banned
The problem is the 10, not the 7. There is no way HZD is a 10/10 game. It's a woeful open world game. If you played this after Ghost, it feels dead and empty by comparison.

The Metacritic score is closer to 10 than 7. Amazing game, I can see people giving it a 10.

A better version gets a 3 point lower score... Makes sense for someone at gamingBolt, somehow somewhere.

giphy.webp

Last edited:

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
It's a different reviewer but people still look at it as Gamingbolt review.

So the human being who reviewed it is supposed to change their opinion because some other human being had a different opinion of a different version 2 years ago?

Aion002

Scores are dumb as fuck and reviews should be only about the reviewers impressions on games, not a fucking rating to decide if something is good or bad... It would help a lot in this kind of thing.

S

Shodan09

Unconfirmed Member
I remember when the ps4 version came out at roughly the same time as BOTW and got stomped. No end of excuses then. Good Times.

VFXVeteran

Banned
OP,

this is because he thinks the game should have seen a remark upgrade to the visuals because of the power differences of the GPUs. I wouldn't be anywhere near so judgmental. I'm sure that GG will get some of the bugs fixed on the port very soon. I really wish the HBAO was working as it should because it would make a dramatic difference in the look of the game.

Reindeer

OP,

this is because he thinks the game should have seen a remark upgrade to the visuals because of the power differences of the GPUs.
I doubt that, he says it's an excellent port. He criticises the game for outdated gameplay mechanics, which goes completely against their original review. I don't wanna dwell on this, it is what it is.

diffusionx

Gold Member
My guess is they are reviewing the quality of the PC port. If any PC gamers are curious about the quality of the game they can go back and read the reviews of the PS4 version.

zcaa0g

Banned
When reading a game review, I ignore the review score of the game and give my review score of the reviewer and they are usually a 3 out of 10.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
The issue is with the second review making it seem like it's a completely different game. It's a different reviewer but people still look at it as Gamingbolt review. It has technical issues yes, but this isn't the reason why the score was downgraded.

If you ask a handful here, TLOU2 is a god-like masterpiece with zero flaws. If you ask almost anyone else, it is a greatly flawed, boring, and shallow experience.

Different people will view the game in different ways. Personally, I feel like this is a more fair review as I never thought Horizon was all that great of a game. A 7/10 experience.

Last edited:

oagboghi2

It would be fine if technical issues was the reason for downgrades score, but the reviewer gives it a 7 because he feels like the game mechanics are outdated and not up to scratch with similar games, which makes their original review sound like a completely different game.
So his review is more than fair. He is holding up a game being released today to its current competition.

Oh well 🤷

I doubt that, he says it's an excellent port. He criticises the game for outdated gameplay mechanics, which goes completely against their original review. I don't wanna dwell on this, it is what it is.
You made a thread about it

Last edited:

Justin9mm

The biggest crime is giving the original a 10.
As a PlayStation fan I could not get into this game at all. dropped it after about 5 hours. Yet Days Gone wasn't reviewed that well and I found that to be one of the most enjoyable games I played in 2019.

Yeah Horizon looked amazing but I'm not sure why it's so praised. I don't think it's a bad game at all but I think it's highly overrated.

Reindeer

So his review is more than fair. He is holding up a game being released today to its current competition.
Please do enlighten me to what open world games have released since then that have advanced the genre so much to make this game score so much less than it did 3 and a half years ago.

oagboghi2

Please do enlighten me to what open world games have released since then that have advanced the genre so much to make this game score so much less than it did 3 and a half years ago.
Many third person adventure games have come out since Horizon, that are better games. Zelda, God of War, GOT, just to name a few off the top of my head.

You yourself admitted in this thread you wouldn't give it a 10, so what are you crying about? A completely different reviewer didn't give it a 8 or 9?

Reindeer

Many third person adventure games have come out since Horizon, that are better games. Zelda, God of War, GOT, just to name a few off the top of my head.

You yourself admitted in this thread you wouldn't give it a 10, so what are you crying about? A completely different reviewer didn't give it a 8 or 9?
Zelda came before it. The reviewer himself said that he would have given it a 7 in 2017 as well, which makes your point irrelevant and questions his criticism of the game mechanics even more. It's pretty obvious he didn't downgrade the score because games came after it that made it outdated as many people on this thread try to suggest.

Last edited by a moderator:

bargeparty

Consistency is cool.

Similar thing with a headphone review site I found. Different reviewers for different headphones using different songs and inconsistent metrics.

Completely useless.

As a PlayStation fan I could not get into this game at all. dropped it after about 5 hours. Yet Days Gone wasn't reviewed that well and I found that to be one of the most enjoyable games I played in 2019.

Yeah Horizon looked amazing but I'm not sure why it's so praised. I don't think it's a bad game at all but I think it's highly overrated.

Agreed, it’s not a bad game. I got the plat, but I am a sucker for these types of games. Working on getting all achievement points in Mad Max right now and it’s no 10/10 either.

HZD is massively overrated. As gorgeous as the combat is, it’s also dreadfully shallow. The game world has exactly zero memorable moments or locales. The story starts out very strong but drags and fizzles out. I’d give it a 6 or 7 which to me is still a good score.

A 10 should be a goddamn masterpiece. Not a generic open world Ubi clone.

Shifty1897

After watching the DF review, the port is horrific. Constant stutters, regardless of specs or settings, terrible performance (the GTX 1060 runs worse than a base PS4 😂😂😂), visual bugs, a 30 GB Day One patch that fixes nothing.

You can't put out a port of this quality 3 years after the game comes out and expect to charge $50 for it.

oagboghi2

Zelda came before it. The reviewer himself said that he would have given it a 7 in 2017 as well, which makes your point irrelevant and questions his criticism of the game mechanics even more. It's pretty obvious he didn't downgrade the score because games came after it that made it outdated as many people on this thread try to suggest.
That's even better. So the seond reviewer just had a different opinion. Okay, so what is the problem? That two different people have two different subjective opinions?

Nymphae

Banned
I think the problem is a 7 and 10 is quite a difference

Again, two different people, who liked the game to different degrees (gasp! but they work in the same building! Shouldn't there only be like a 1 point differential in their opinions?). Also rather shitty port from what I'm hearing. I have no idea what the expectation is here, there should be no necessity for two people at an outlet to have similar opinions.

Last edited:

Shmunter

10 is way to generous, but I’m no fan of open worlds in general.

After seeing the DF analysis, the best way to play the game is still PS4 pro so lower score makes sense.

Shmunter

Wha

What exactly does Death Stranding offer in gameplay that Horizon doesn't? Death Stranding is the most barebone game when it comes to gameplay mechanics.
They are way too different to compare. To me Death Stranding is incredible while Horizon is take it or leave it. Finished both on PRO. Personal preferences.

THEAP99

Banned
Because the PC version appears to inferior.

Eex4fTJWoAA5Wne
Eex4fTJWkAEfpel

I wonder what this means for the likelihood of possible future ports if they're selling less and rating lower than the original PlayStation version

Shmunter

This is so true. Never believe a review, read the user impressions.
Even that’s not accurate. The LOU2 polarisation amongst users due to political matters skews reality to absurd levels. I’m as anti SJW as they come and the game to me is sublime.

Shmunter

Because the PC version appears to inferior.

Eex4fTJWoAA5Wne
Eex4fTJWkAEfpel

I wonder what this means for the likelihood of possible future ports if they're selling less and rating lower than the original PlayStation version
Wonder how many of those PC reviews are based on firing up the first chapter, and then simply rewording the original PS4 review and slapping it up as a new review.

I want to see a review channel with zero commentary or finality of scores and you just decide for yourself based on gameplay shown. A quick edit highlight vid and a long form single playthrough peek would do nicely.

Top Bottom