• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GamingBolt: A Year After Its Launch, Is The Xbox Series S Worth it?

People generally opposed to the Xbox brand were never really the target audience for the XSS anyway. The biggest detractors aren't Xbox customers. The value proposition isn't in question. Why should anyone listen to someone who doesn't even own the device?

The GTX 1060 remains one of the most popular GPUs on despite the fact that there are numerous more powerful and expensive alternatives available. Not sure what your point was but the fact still remains you can't buy a more powerful current gen console or PC for an equal or lower amount. It's a good thing MS gave an alternative for people to enter this generation without breaking the bank.
But at the end of the day your going to “break the bank” anyway and that’s what people dont get.

The internal storage in the Series S is very small for an all digital console so your going to have to buy MS’s expensive SSD expansion card at some point plus your locked into purchasing all of your games through the MS store because you can’t use physical disc on the Series S.

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
The fact that it is literally the only next gen machine sitting on shelves, readily available during a massive shortage says otherwise.
The value proposition is absolutely in question and it's apparent that the vast majority are choosing to wait to get a proper next gen machine over the series S.

Just because something is not selling out, it does not mean it has poor value..

We are still in the cross period, so more casual customers dont buy a console at launch.

SeriesS I think will do well as a 2nd console, a cheap option for kids/students/casuals who dont care about 4k and just wanna play the latest games as cheap as possible.

Sosokrates

But at the end of the day your going to “break the bank” anyway and that’s what people dont get.

The internal storage in the Series S is very small for an all digital console so your going to have to buy MS’s expensive SSD expansion card at some point plus your locked into purchasing all of your games through the MS store because you can’t use physical disc on the Series S.

No, not everyone plays multiple AAA games at a time.

A waste of what exactly? A waste in the bedroom on a second TV? A waste for a 6yo to play roblox on? A waste hooked up to a 1080p TV from 10 ft away? Or the ps5 owner that just wants to play the odd xbox game or see what gamepass is like? Such lame generalities like everyone in the world is a hardcore gamer or doesn't own two or 3 tv's.
If you own multiple consoles or multiple HD TVs in your home I am sure your not hurting for an extra $200.

In the 6 year old example, I would just buy them a Xbox one which is cheaper or a Nintendo Switch but that’s just me.

I don’t like the value proposition of the series S and I think it was a weak play by MS because they weren’t confident the Series X would sell which is understandable when you factor in what happened with the Xbox one …but it’s okay we all don’t have to agree on everything.

Last edited:

Sosokrates

If you own multiple consoles or multiple HD TVs in your home I am sure your not hurting for an extra $200.

In the 6 year old example, I would just buy them a Xbox one which is cheaper or a Nintendo Switch but that’s just me.

I don’t like the value proposition of the series S and I think it was a weak play by MS because they weren’t confident the Series X would sell which is understandable when you factor in what happened with the Xbox one …but it’s okay we all don’t have to agree on everything.

Its ok for you not liking the seriesS value proposition, but plenty of people do like it and its selling well.

Also Microsoft were very confident in the seriesX, from an engineering standpoint the seriesX is arguably one of the best designed consoles of all time, it runs silently, its generally the most powerful console, the OS and services are mature and it has an amazing games line up.
They did there two console strategy because they wanted the best of both worlds, a more affordable option and high power option, all with minimum drawbacks.

Just look how well a gpu 1/3rd of the power of a PS4 can play last gen games!

Last edited:

Rykan

Just because something is not selling out, it does not mean it has poor value..

We are still in the cross period, so more casual customers dont buy a console at launch.

SeriesS I think will do well as a 2nd console, a cheap option for kids/students/casuals who dont care about 4k and just wanna play the latest games as cheap as possible.
Value is based on perception and the fact that it is so widely available shows that most people consider it poor value. The circumstances for the Series S are perfect right now. The other consoles are sold out and its the cheapest console. yet, it is still sitting on shelves.

It is just too expensive for what it brings to the table. The audience that absolutely must have the cheapest option available is just very small. The Series S is basically the iPhone mini.

DaGwaphics

Value is based on perception and the fact that it is so widely available shows that most people consider it poor value. The circumstances for the Series S are perfect right now. The other consoles are sold out and its the cheapest console. yet, it is still sitting on shelves.

It is just too expensive for what it brings to the table. The audience that absolutely must have the cheapest option available is just very small. The Series S is basically the iPhone mini.

It's moving a lot of units though, more than XSX I believe they said in the last quarter. Having stock in stores does not equate to a product that doesn't/can't sell, all of these consoles should be in stores by now. And car dealers should have lots full of new cars etc., the current status is the abnormal one.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots

No we don't, but what I'm saying is there are many reasons for buying a machine.
Joe dad who's kid wants a console, he's not automatically scouring kijiji for used xbox one, he wants something a bit newer that isn't too crazy expensive. Doesn't play portable so the switch offers zero value. I don't think they were worried about sales as much as turning thier back on the market I just stated above.
That and as many xboxes in the hands of gamers is a win for them, be it at 499 or 299.

I dont discount the idea complete that x is a better value for some people though.

Completely untrue. The XSS from day one supported external hard drive and SSDs. You have no need to purchase the expansion card what so ever.
Series S is a waste but it will continue to be justified because impatient people purchased it because they couldn't find a Series X and they need to justify their purchase... :messenger_grinning_smiling:

With all the cross gen games coming out why not just continue to play the Xbox one X until you can get a Series X? It doesn't make sense to me but whatever .....
You appear to be misinformed. The X1X doesn't compare well to the XSS now despite the fact that it is an upgrade to the X1 not the X1X. The XSS has more games at 120 fps and 60 fps. The XSS has considerably better load times and despite your cross generational comments games like Flight Simulator aren't available on the X1X in any way and cross generational games like Forza 5 have better effects on the XSS over the X1X on top of the higher frame rates. The X1X is a dead console. Anyone suggesting that the X1X is a better choice than the XSS is providing horrible advice.

Sosokrates

And how do you know this?
There stock of daulsense controllers, there stock of oled Tvs theres stock of lots of other products, goong by your logic do people think those items have low value too?

No, Ill say it again, just because something is not selling out does not mean people think it has poor value.
The seriesS may have less demand then ps5 + xsx but that does not mean the demand for it is bad.

Rykan

It's moving a lot of units though, more than XSX I believe they said in the last quarter. Having stock in stores does not equate to a product that doesn't/can't sell, all of these consoles should be in stores by now. And car dealers should have lots full of new cars etc., the current status is the abnormal one.
Having stocks in stores does not equate to a product that doesn't sell well in a normal situation where there is not a massive shortage of hardware components. But that's not the situation we're in. Every single console is struggling with suppy being unable to meet demand and therefore, won't stay on shelves for long. Except for the Series S.

That either means that it doesn't have supply issues (To be fair, considering it uses lower quality components across the board, this possibly has some impact) or the demand is just significantly less. Like, a lot less.

And how do you know this?
There stock of daulsense controllers, there stock of oled Tvs theres stock of lots of other products, goong by your logic do people think those items have low value too?

No, Ill say it again, just because something is not selling out does not mean people think it has poor value.
The seriesS may have less demand then ps5 + xsx but that does not mean the demand for it is bad.
You're comparing apples to oranges now. Other products have different production cycles and supply challenges. Again, we are in record breaking demand for new consoles, enormous supply issues and yet somehow the series S is sitting on shelves.

Last edited:
Having stocks in stores does not equate to a product that doesn't sell well in a normal situation where there is not a massive shortage of hardware components. But that's not the situation we're in. Every single console is struggling with suppy being unable to meet demand and therefore, won't stay on shelves for long. Except for the Series S.

That either means that it doesn't have supply issues (To be fair, considering it uses lower quality components across the board, this possibly has some impact) or the demand is just significantly less. Like, a lot less.

You're comparing apples to oranges now. Other products have different production cycles and supply challenges. Again, we are in record breaking demand for new consoles, enormous supply issues and yet somehow the series S is sitting on shelves.
Which region are you talking about because I have not seen XSS on store shelves in the US. In addition the XSS is a console targeted at casual gamers. Why would the casual console sell as well as the enthusiast console especially since the enthusiast console hasn't had its demand met? It was designed to sell over the long term providing an option to people who might impulse buy a console, not an early adopter. Finally based on the latest sales numbers the XSS has a 60/40 split with the XSX. That isn't too bad for a console that 'isn't selling'.

Chukhopops

Quoting myself from the last time this discussion happened:
There's no way to know but if you look at Amazon you can see the number of reviews for each, which gives you an idea of the X/S ratio:

Zabi9Jt.png

There's no data for Canada (reviews are mixed) and India (seems like it's not available there?) and of course, this is one retailer and it's impacted by the fact that the XSX is more difficult to find. But still, I reaaaaally don't think the Series S is selling as badly as some people are fantasizing about here.

People keep asking why you'd pay for an inferior product when a better question is why pay more for features you don't need or care about?
The S seems to be doing really well in developing countries, which was one of its purposes. At this point there’s no indication that the S is selling as badly as people are declaring, and availability is a poor indicator: is the iPhone 13 a flop just because you can buy it?

SkylineRKR

If you have a One X already, you might think twice about upgrading to Series S, but the Series S is better. It has the Series architecture, and all games run far better on Series S than they do on One X. The only thing One X has over the SS, afaik, is resolution (which makes sense as it can push a bit more TF and it has a bit more RAM). But the difference isn't huge and its probably diminished by the fact One X runs at 30 fps anyway. Psychonauts 2 is horrible on One X for instance, a bit higher res than SS (like 1800p vs 1600p ish) but 30fps with long load times and obviously no 120hz mode either.

Rykan

Which region are you talking about because I have not seen XSS on store shelves in the US. In addition the XSS is a console targeted at casual gamers. Why would the casual console sell as well as the enthusiast console especially since the enthusiast console hasn't had its demand met? It was designed to sell over the long term providing an option to people who might impulse buy a console, not an early adopter. Finally based on the latest sales numbers the XSS has a 60/40 split with the XSX. That isn't too bad for a console that 'isn't selling'.
The Xbox Series S is widely available through out all of Europe. The vast majority of electronic stores that sell video game systems have them in stock and sitting in shelves. For comparison, the Series X is sold out everywhere.

Split comparissons right now don't really mean all that much. The Series X is supply contraint and theres probably a number of users who have been settling for the Series S because they can't find a series X. The actual demand for Series X vs Series S is probaby more along the lines of 80/20 if not higher.

Also, the idea that casual gamers tend to go for the cheaper option isn't actually based on anything at all. Just because someone plays games "Casually" doesn't mean that they want the cheapest possible option, especially with the PS5DE being a much better option for just 100$ more.

MScarpa

Fair point, but the shortage is going to be a temporary problem and I still think most people would rather wait to get a much better product than settle for the mediocre experience that the series S offers.

I genuinely don't understand how people can say that the tiny ssd doesn't bother them. The actual space available on the thing is like 364gb of storage. If you have one go to game that you play as a live service game like a Destiny 2, or a Call of Duty game, thats already about a third to about half of your storage gone for that alone.

Also, the hardware difference between XSS and the PS5/XSX is way too big to just be a resolution difference. There are going to be way more concessions soon and most games already have more drawbacks than just resolution.

Sure for some people it doesn't matter much but I think the actual audience for it is very small and not worth the extra development time that developers have to spend to get their game to work on it. Raising the price by 100$ and making it an XSX without a disk drive, much like the PS5DE would have made it by far the best value of any console.
Most people are playing COD, FIFA, NBA2K and FORTNITE. Nobody cares. We are the exception here.

The Xbox Series S is widely available through out all of Europe. The vast majority of electronic stores that sell video game systems have them in stock and sitting in shelves. For comparison, the Series X is sold out everywhere.

Split comparissons right now don't really mean all that much. The Series X is supply contraint and theres probably a number of users who have been settling for the Series S because they can't find a series X. The actual demand for Series X vs Series S is probaby more along the lines of 80/20 if not higher.

Also, the idea that casual gamers tend to go for the cheaper option isn't actually based on anything at all. Just because someone plays games "Casually" doesn't mean that they want the cheapest possible option, especially with the PS5DE being a much better option for just 100$ more.
When has Europe EVER been MS' biggest market? Even in the 360 days when Xbox was at its strongest, Europe and especially Japan did not provide most of the Xbox's sales. In fact Europe was one of main reasons the PS3 still sold more worldwide despite how well the 360 did in the US. Your about split statement is just made up Chukhopops Chukhopops just posted some sales data.

Casual gamers absolutely care about the price of a product and MS is hoping that over the long term they'll snag a XSS on impulse. Being $300 helps quite a bit. I don't think the PS5DE is a good value at all especially since Sony has the monopoly on game sales when you are digital only and the biggest titles are $70. $400 goes further on the XSS. We'll have to see how the holidays shake out but I wager the XSS will continue to steadily sell. The end of the generation is what matters most not the beginning regardless.

Last edited:

Soosa

Banned
When has Europe EVER been MS' biggest market? Even in the 360 days when Xbox was at its strongest, Europe and especially Japan did not provide most of the Xbox's sales. In fact Europe was one of main reasons the PS3 still sold more worldwide despite how well the 360 did in the US. Your about split statement is just made up Chukhopops Chukhopops just posted some sales data.

Casual gamers absolutely care about the price of a product and MS is hoping that over the long term they'll snag a XSS on impulse. Being $300 helps quite a bit. I don't think the PS5DE is a good value at all especially since Sony has the monopoly on game sales when you are digital only and the biggest titles are $70. $400 goes further on the XSS. We'll have to see how the holidays shake out but I wager the XSS will continue to steadily sell. The end of the generation is what matters most not the beginning regardless.
Did he claim that EU is their biggest market? It may not be the biggest, but it is still important market. So, did you mean that xbox doesnt have much of a market outside of US? Aka they can compete only at US?

Here at northern EU series S have been widely available since the launch, like it never even sold out. I could order hundreds if I wanted to, and it have already been on small discount on multiple places, which indicates that it is really not wanted by gamers (at EU), as the same have been reported around europe.

I have also seen series x on stores few times + it have been semi-available for few months, aka you can order one on certain store chain and many have said that they got their within few weeks after the order. PS5 have been sold out since the launch and it cant be even ordered unless there is units available, which are sold out in minutes.

And nobody forces people to buy digital games for full price anyway, so your point have no point.

PS5DE and series x are much better next gen consoles than series S, there is no question about it. Series S is better for those that want xbox games + game pass, of course. Still cheaper in the long run to get series x and buy games used/discounted without gamepass, unless you really play +30 games/year.

So, this topic is kind of divided between US vs. the world. I personally have never seen series s "worth it", why save 200€ and then lose majority of next gen features + disc drive?

Series x is much better system, and disc drive is must have because then you dont have to pay tons for digital games as used copies are really cheap for xbox, because of the low demand at here. And gamepass is waste of money to me personally, if I want to play 1-4 xbox games/year like i will probably do.

I will definetly get series x, but series s would have to be less than 100€ before I would even think about it.

GHG

Gold Member
People generally opposed to the Xbox brand were never really the target audience for the XSS anyway. The biggest detractors aren't Xbox customers. The value proposition isn't in question. Why should anyone listen to someone who doesn't even own the device?

The GTX 1060 remains one of the most popular GPUs on despite the fact that there are numerous more powerful and expensive alternatives available. Not sure what your point was but the fact still remains you can't buy a more powerful current gen console or PC for an equal or lower amount. It's a good thing MS gave an alternative for people to enter this generation without breaking the bank.

People holding on their old 1060's because they still play the games they want to play is like the people who are still holding on to their old consoles because they don't want/need to upgrade now. The 1060 was the best seller for the 10 series cards but I'm talking about what happens pretty much every GPU generation - it's not the cheapest GPU that sells the most, it's the GPU that offers the best price/performance that sells the most. A quick look through the steam hardware survey shows that, it's dominated by XX60 cards and XX70 cards.

You brought up Nvidia selling various options in relation to the existence and value proposition of the Series S and that's a false equivalence.

The "cheapest" GPU's are not the most desirable or popular cards, nor are they the best value. They exist as an option but informed consumers will always avoid those cheapest options. The same holds true for the Series S considering it doesn't win on price/performance (including storage) by any measurable metric against it's peers. The only advantage it has right now is that it's readily available for impulse purchasers.

Alandring

plus your locked into purchasing all of your games through the MS store because you can’t use physical disc on the Series S.
Personally, I have a PlayStation 5 with a disc-drive, but I don't plan to buy any game in physical (I bought this model for 4K Blu-rays, so I could sell my Xbox One S). I don't think the lack of disc-drive is a problem for many customers.

So is the Nintendo Switch, with literal piles of consoles in every big electronics market. Is the Switch a failure?
I don't know, but if you ask me which console has the best value between Switch Oled and Xbox Series S, I wouldn't say it's the console made by Nintendo...

s-bojan

Banned

Don't you have to install games anyway?

Rykan

Whether Europe is MS's biggest market or not is completely irrelevant. Supply is based on anticipated sales. The fact that Europe isn't MS's biggest market hasn't stopped the series X from being sold out everywhere while the Series S is widely available.

My split statement is "Made up" because it is a hypothetical scenario in which the series X is widely available, hence i've said that demand for the series X is significantly higher.

Saying that the PS5DE isnt a good value is lolworthy. The difference in hardware specs that you're getting from the PS5DE compared to the Series S far exceed 100$. It has an SSD nearly twice the size thats also significantly faster and a much better GPU. Yeah first party games are 10$ more, but you'd have to buy a LOT of first party games to bring the value back to equal.

So is the Nintendo Switch, with literal piles of consoles in every big electronics market. Is the Switch a failure?
The Switch isn't a new console. The Switch OLED is new though which is sold out everywhere.

Last edited:

s-bojan

Banned
Saying that the PS5DE isnt a good value is lolworthy. The difference in hardware specs that you're getting from the PS5DE compared to the Series S far exceed 100$. It has an SSD nearly twice the size thats also significantly faster and a much better GPU. Yeah first party games are 10$ more, but you'd have to buy a LOT of first party games to bring the value back to equal.
Why are we talking about msrp prices?
PS5DE is not 400 where I live, it's 600+.

Lysandros

It's great system for certain kind of people
1. People who don't care about resolution
2. People who primarily plays on PS5 but wants to play XGS/Bethesda games
3. Casual gamers

Only "bad" thing about Series S is storage
Performance and visual setting parity is also a concern as game comparisons show, resolution isn't the only differentiating factor.

Riky

$MSFT
first party games are 10$ more, but you'd have to buy a LOT of first party games to bring the value back to equal.
It's not just first party games, you can buy Xbox digital keys from third parties saving a lot more money, recent example Vanguard is £47 today on CDkeys whilst £60 on the storefronts.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
Fuck it. I might bite and get one. Doesn't look like I'll be able to get an X anytime soon.

Godot25

Banned
Performance and visual setting parity is also a concern as game comparisons show, resolution isn't the only differentiating factor.
I'm pretty sure, that target audience does not care about that either.
It's more akin to: "Will this console play Starfield, TES VI, new Halo and Fable?" And the answer is yes...

Love mine and I find myself spending more time with it than PS5 or PC.
It's hooked up to a 4k/120/65'' TV. Games still look great, provided they run at 1080p or above.
To me, Series S is the most interesting out of all current gen consoles. There's just something endearing about it, its form factor, performance etc. I also appreciate that it's almost inaudible, unlike my PS5.

Oh, and storage is not that big of an issue. Currently I have like 15 games installed, including Forza Horizon 5, BF2042, The Evil Within 2, Gears Ultimate Edition, and a buch of X360 titles. But maybe I'm just good at managing my space.

Can't wait to play Starfield, Avowed, Fable, new Forza Motorsport and many more on that little guy. ;)

Last edited:

Chukhopops

PS5DE and series x are much better next gen consoles than series S, there is no question about it. Series S is better for those that want xbox games + game pass, of course. Still cheaper in the long run to get series x and buy games used/discounted without gamepass, unless you really play +30 games/year.
I don't know how your maths work but even full price GPU comes to €155 / year, if you play three full price games or more GP is a better deal, not to mention the initial price difference.

If you play 30+ games per year even at €30 average then buying is going to be ridiculously more expensive.

DaGwaphics

Probably because in the case of say Forza Horizon 5 the Series S version runs at twice the framerate and loads in a fraction of the time as well as supporting Quick Resume.

Not to mention the fact that at equivalent frame rates the IQ is miles beyond what the 1X can offer. And then there's the nugget that the Series systems can deliver visuals on the level of FH5 cross-gen, they haven't even touched their next-gen capabilities yet.

You brought up Nvidia selling various options in relation to the existence and value proposition of the Series S and that's a false equivalence.

The "cheapest" GPU's are not the most desirable or popular cards, nor are they the best value. They exist as an option but informed consumers will always avoid those cheapest options. The same holds true for the Series S considering it doesn't win on price/performance (including storage) by any measurable metric against it's peers. The only advantage it has right now is that it's readily available for impulse purchasers.

The situations are very comparable though. Traditionally, there was always something better for just $50 more. Yet, 50 and 60 series cards were sold. Some people are very price sensitive. Typically consoles skirt this by cost reducing over time to allow one unit to access all the price points. However, if you can't get the prices down enough with time you do risk leaving a segment of the market without an available product.

And.... XSS isn't in competition with it's own stable mate. People that want the XSX should get that. The market that the XSS is geared towards the most is often a little slower to upgrade, we'll see how the systems move when cross-gen is over. Millions are enjoying their XSS right now, they can sell some units, that's not an issue. Also, I'm not sure how you could say XSS is lower quality than the XSX. The silicone components are all manufactured by the same sources etc. Having lower specs doesn't effect the quality of the chips used.

Last edited:

SkylineRKR

GP has absolutely been cheaper for me. I didn't have to buy FH5, which saves me 70 bucks. I'm not going to buy Halo, another 70 bucks. Thats 140 bucks in 2 months since I would want them at launch, which should be the regular annual price of GPU if you don't go out of your way. The rest I played this year is bonus.

Love mine and I find myself spending more time with it than PS5 or PC.
It's hooked up to a 4k/120/65'' TV. Games still look great, provided they run at 1080p or above.
To me, Series S is the most interesting out of all current gen consoles. There's just something endearing about it, its form factor, performance etc. I also appreciate that it's almost inaudible, unlike my PS5.

Oh, and storage is not that big of an issue. Currently I have like 15 games installed, including Forza Horizon 5, BF2042, The Evil Within 2, Gears Ultimate Edition, and a buch of X360 titles. But maybe I'm just good at managing my space.

Can't wait to play Starfield, Avowed, Fable, new Forza Motorsport and many more on that little guy. ;)

I thought storage was a bigger deal but right now I don't need extra. Games I beat I just delete. And because they are GP games this is even easier to do. Lots of games are smaller than I expected, such as Village, Arise and Scarlet Nexus. Halo Infinite will probably be big, but after rinsing the campaign I hope you can uninstall it like you can with Gears 5.

Last edited:

GHG

Gold Member
The situations are very comparable though. Traditionally, there was always something better for just $50 more. Yet, 50 and 60 serious cards were sold. Some people are very price sensitive. Typically consoles skirt this by cost reducing over time to allow one unit to access all the price points. However, if you can't get the prices down enough with time you do risk leaving a segment of the market without an available product.

The cheapest GPU's Nvidia makes are readily available and have been throughout the chip shortage.

DaGwaphics

The cheapest GPU's Nvidia makes are readily available and have been throughout the chip shortage.

Please do tell, isn't the lowest priced 3000 series selling for like $800? I do believe even an old 1650 is between $300 and $400. It really seems like you would need to be a lunatic to pay the prices for the lower-spec GPUs right now, but certainly people are doing just that. But, without question I think a good portion of the lower-end buyers are currently just sitting on the sidelines, they are priced out of the market.

Last edited:

GHG

Gold Member
Please do tell, isn't the lowest priced 3000 series selling for like $800? I do believe even an old 1650 is between $300 and $400. It really seems like you would need to be a lunatic to pay the prices for the lower-spec GPUs right now, but certainly people are doing just that. But, without question I think a good portion of the lower-end buyers are currently just sitting on the sidelines, they are priced out of the market.

What you call the "lower spec" GPU's in the 3000 series are still at least on par if not stronger than then premium next gen consoles at the moment.

Nvidia are yet to release their budget 3000 series cards. The 3020-50 are yet to be seen and may never be seen (why use limited chip and component capacity on models that have poor margins and don't sell?) . He referenced the 1060 and how that's still a popular card. I'd suggest you read back to the start of the discussion.

His biggest mistake is thinking that cheapest=value. That's not how it works, and it's never worked that way.

DaGwaphics

What you call the "lower spec" GPU's in the 3000 series are still at least on par if not stronger than then premium next gen consoles at the moment.

Nvidia are yet to release their budget 3000 series cards. The 3020-50 are yet to be seen and may never be seen (why use limited chip and component capacity on models that have poor margins and don't sell?) . He referenced the 1060 and how that's still a popular card. I'd suggest you read back to the start of the discussion.

His biggest mistake is thinking that cheapest=value. That's not how it works, and it's never worked that way.

We'll have to agree to disagree here. I think if Nvidia released a card that was performant enough for low-end buyers at a traditional low-end price point, they could never make enough at this point (regardless of capacity).

Price point comes first and then value figures in from there. The best selling desktop cards per series have traditionally sat between $250 and $350, whichever product performs the best within that range takes the win.

dcmk7

Banned
Many developers (even MS first party), Digital Foundry and many others have been a bit sceptical, or maybe unsure is a better word, about its future when games move from cross gen. It should be quite a significant jump in performance.

Judging from the last year, which is transitional, it was quite clear that XSS was struggling technically with a fair number of titles missing next gen features (which hadn't been anticipated based upon original marketing) from both first and third party studios as well as rendering some titles at some really, really poor resolutions.

It will be interesting to see if XSS diverges even more from the XSX versions going forward. Or whether the situation improves.

Riky

$MSFT
Interesting that in the DF video released today Richard said he's seen the sales figures and that people would be surprised about the split between Series X and S, it's a lot closer than people imagine.

It's totally worth $300, but the Series X is MORE worth $500, which kind of make the S not worth it, imo. Just get the better one - you'll own the console for years, don't settle for "good enough".

Interesting that in the DF video released today Richard said he's seen the sales figures and that people would be surprised about the split between Series X and S, it's a lot closer than people imagine.
Isn't the split 100% based on whatever Microsoft has chosen to make? They're both sold out, so most buyers don't really have the choice, unless they are choosing just waiting until they can find the model they want.

Top Bottom