• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gaming terminology used by old school gamers which aren't used today

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
Instagib CTF on Coret, 56k and shooting yourself in the back of the head because of lag. Didn't care because it was still fun and I don't remember any toxic fuck nuggets back then. Instead of whining like you'd just killed their mum when you lost, people would point out how you could improve, even going into a 1v1 to show you and let you practice.

That’s what happens when you have a server with a bunch of guys who eventually get to know each other, find their boundaries and chat shit. Modern matchmaking ruined multiplayer.

That’s what happens when you have a server with a bunch of guys who eventually get to know each other, find their boundaries and chat shit. Modern matchmaking ruined multiplayer.

Man I remember playing early CS at i6 in the UK. Our clan came joint 2nd along with our "brothers" from another clan. This was around 2001 or something.

We all grew apart until 2 years ago when I was on some random forum and a dude messaged me asking if I was the same guy from the clan they played against all those years ago.

We're now best buddies :)

Built in modem
"Blocks" of memory storage
Cartridge cleaner
Disk buffers to get scratches off cds
"Paddles" instead of controllers
"You're not done! You still have another guy!"
Joystick

Side note. Remember Sega tv? The original game pass! I never had it as a kid though

I've heard several people say they "passed" a game. Which just seems odd.
Finished, completed, beat the game.... but passed? Get the fuck outta here.

Marvel14

Banned
I don’t miss my hard drives. SSDs are wonderful. I grew up with tapes - 10 minutes waiting while a loading screen appeared line by fucking line.
Amstrad CPC 464 baby! If the volume wasnt high enough the game wouldn't load! You had to type run and press enter to start and the squealing while loading was like music to the ears!

Anyone remember multiple games on one tape? I remember visiting the folk I sold my Amstrad to who asked me what the number id written on the tape was for. Blew their minds when i fast forwarded using the counter and they realised they had games they hadn't played yet!

Last edited:

Drac84

Blow on cartridge
Pentium 150
Game genie
Tank Controls
Pre-rendered background
Soundblaster
Voodoo
Fixed camera
Ethics in games journalism

AmuroChan

Going to Blockbuster to rent some games this weekend.

My mom needs to use the phone. I need to disconnect from the game.

I just got the latest EGM in the mail.

Unlocking new characters in fighting games by playing the game
Unlocking funny alternative skins (cod of war )
Unlocking infite ammo after beating hard mode or something (something I really miss,games are too serious nowadays, for example imagine unlocking a infinite magnum in the last of us for new game plus,you already beat the game,lemme have some fun blasting fools for the lols)
The few games that have cheats of overpowered itens to unlock prevent you from getting trophies/achiv if you use them. So what if people use them to get trophies,just make some trophies based on skill or whatever.

Not really a terminology but it was very common to say “you got raped” or “he got raped” in competitive multiplayer games. No one really says it anymore I haven’t heard it in years but in the mid to late 2000s it was very common.

Rayderism

Hacking is still around, but no one says "phreaking" anymore.

Amiga error......"anti-aliased fonts".

Old modem term.......War-dialer

Manually mapping dungeons using graph paper.

Soon to be extinct (hopefully)......"Loading, please wait"

"Epyx Fast Load" carts.

Last edited:

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
"Let me check the instruction book"

:messenger_pensive::messenger_pensive::messenger_pensive:

One of my favorite things about buying games was reading the instruction booklet cover to cover before playing the game. And oh that new game smell when you open the booklet!!!! lol i miss those days....

Eternal21

My first computer was an Atari 65XE. To load a game you had to use a cassette recorder. Each cassette could hold multiple games, and would have a number next to each game indicating where it starts. The recorder itself would have a little counter so you could rewind the tape, reset the counter, and then fast-forward to the game you would want to load. You would then type in a BASIC command on the prompt to start loading the game. The thing that really sucked, is that the better the game, the longer it took to load. A crappy game would load in a minute. A really good one would take up to 15-20 minutes. And while the game was loading, you had to sit absolutely still. Even bumping the desk a little could lead to load errors, and you had to start the whole process again (and hope it's not a problem with the tape). At one point someone came up with a mod for the tape recorder that cut down the load times by 50%, you had to take it to a local electronics shop and the guy would install it for you.

Atari%2B65%2BXE%2Bcompleto.jpg

93xfan

Banned
Textures (I always see “shaders” in place of that word now).

May not be the exact same thing, and I guess I do here “textures” every now and then

Last edited:

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
"Gibs"

Extra lives

"Continue" as a noun

Passcodes

Turbo button

Memory measured in "blocks"

93xfan

Banned
Memory cards

Megabits

Slowdown

insert quarter

Also, this may not be a term, but inputting coats to continue from a certain point in the game, such as in MegaMan 2

Last edited:

Fret Runner

Action replay, gameshark, Xplorer
How I perceived myself while typing in those fucking 50+ lined codes for final fantasy an shit except there was no keyboard, it was with a damn controller. Only to find out I had just fucked my gamesave up an had to start over. "No matter! I have the power to hack the system now!"
iu

anyone else remember having one of these things attached to their ps1?
xplorer.png

Top Bottom