• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gaming terminology used by old school gamers which aren't used today

Last night I was thinking about growing up with a Spetrum 48K and thinking about all the new game development buzz words that were used back in the day...

Colour Clash - it's easier to colour and area than individual objects which lead to characters changing colour when they pass through backgrounds. Most evident on old systems from the 80s.

Sprites - an object in a game.

Parallax Scrolling - several layers of backgrounds are applied to side scrolling games. These move at different speeds to simulate real life perspective.

FMV - Full Motion Video. Some games used real video footage like Mad Dog McCree.

What other terminology can you remember which was big then but now it is never used?

jufonuk

not tag worthy
Bring back the 'bits' war.
dog eyes GIF

Soodanim

Last night I was thinking about growing up with a Spetrum 48K and thinking about all the new game development buzz words that were used back in the day...

Colour Clash - it's easier to colour and area than individual objects which lead to characters changing colour when they pass through backgrounds. Most evident on old systems from the 80s.

Sprites - an object in a game.

Parallax Scrolling - several layers of backgrounds are applied to side scrolling games. These move at different speeds to simulate real life perspective.

FMV - Full Motion Video. Some games used real video footage like Mad Dog McCree.

What other terminology can you remember which was big then but now it is never used?
Parallax is something I only see mentioned in Skyrim modding as parallax textures, which add depth to textures based on angles making flat textures seem 3D.

Hudo

When I was a wee lad, I went to my local library to access the internet and look for cheat codes. I cheated through GTA 2 and GTA 3 like a motherfucker. No regrets.
Also, shout out to my parents who bought me 18+-rated games.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
When I was a wee lad, I went to my local library to access the internet and look for cheat codes. I cheated through GTA 2 and GTA 3 like a motherfucker. No regrets.
Also, shout out to my parents who bought me 18+-rated games.

Your avatar reminds me I really need to actually play the c&c remaster.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
I have been reading a lot of old ST Format and Zero magazines.

Gamesters (seemed to fall out of fashion about 92ish)
Stonking (an expression of the game being really good)

Hudo

You really should, man! That remaster BTFO'd Blizzard's pathetic attempt at a WarCraft III remake pretty hard. 2020 was really a weird year where a game from EA was above & beyond something from Blizzard.
Petroglyph (Ex-Westwood dudes) and EA really managed to modernize both the original C&C and Red Alert while still keeping the spirit. You can even toggle freely between the old pixel graphics and the high-res spritework during gameplay, like you can
in Halo Anniversary. And the soundtrack, man... the originals songs were re-mixed, which would've been more than enough. But Frank Klepacki also recorded metal-covers of most songs as well. Pretty great.

Also, I can really recommend Age of Empires II: Definitive Edition., which Microsoft treated similarly. Modernized while keeping the soul.

K.S v2.0

Banned
Oh my God... until now, I didn't even realize that hasn't been a thing in decades.

Nah, they've always existed. Just the unlock method has changed from gameplay and/or button codes, to Mastercard.

Also loved the stupid names for GPUs.
Voodoo Banshee anyone?

Who remembers being the only one with an OpenGL card when Glide was the hot new kid on the block?...

I do :messenger_crying:

For a remaster its really damn good.

Last edited:
H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
You really should, man! That remaster BTFO'd Blizzard's pathetic attempt at a WarCraft III remake pretty hard. 2020 was really a weird year where a game from EA was above & beyond something from Blizzard.
Petroglyph (Ex-Westwood dudes) and EA really managed to modernize both the original C&C and Red Alert while still keeping the spirit. You can even toggle freely between the old pixel graphics and the high-res spritework during gameplay, like you can
in Halo Anniversary. And the soundtrack, man... the originals songs were re-mixed, which would've been more than enough. But Frank Klepacki also recorded metal-covers of most songs as well. Pretty great.

Also, I can really recommend Age of Empires II: Definitive Edition., which Microsoft treated similarly. Modernized while keeping the soul.

My poor backlog...

K.S v2.0

Banned
Yeah and game installing being like 1h.

You summed up Steam preload unpacking for quite a lot of people who are still using mechanical HDD's :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Start button is a good one, Even on PS4 I still call options "start" much to the confusion of my daughter.

Me: "Press Start"

Her: "Where's that??"

I will never understand why the hell they even bothered renaming that button... Seriously...

Last edited:
H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
You summed up Steam preload unpacking for quite a lot of people who are still using mechanical HDD's :messenger_grinning_sweat:

I will never understand why the hell they even bothered renaming that button... Seriously...

I don’t miss my hard drives. SSDs are wonderful. I grew up with tapes - 10 minutes waiting while a loading screen appeared line by fucking line.

Top Bottom