• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gaming should move to a physical/digital hybrid

Physical is starting to suck because of the way these systems are designed, the physical game is just a key sign for use of a digital copy, that's it. The lame part is you have all of these digital games installed on your system but you have to get up and swap discs any time you want to play something different when you really shouldn't have to.

What if this could be made better? What if you could still collect games physically but never have to get up to play them? What if it could have been Microsoft's Xbox One vision from 2013 but not shitty and shady?

Let's be honest, modern gaming these days is basically worthless without an internet connection and a lot of games do or will require some kind of connectivity to function let alone receive updates and patches. What games should be is a locked but transferrable unique key sign which registers that specific disc to that system with a single online ping verification for use. If you buy a physical version and launch the game digitally without the disc inserted it will require the ping each time the game is launched. Digital purchases and ownership would work as it does now if you have no interest in physical media.

This would allow you to have a physical game library but at the same time it would work digitally without the need to insert the disc. If the disc is inserted it doesn't need to send out the online ping after the first use, it verifies locally by matching the key on the disc to the once verified install. If it isn't inserted it will send out the ping to verify this singular install is registered to your system. Your friend wants to borrow it? They take the disc, they put it in their system, it automatically nullifies your key to the install on your system and are able to play it while you are now unable to. This would control usage so only one system could play the game at a time just like current physical media.

This would allow the convenience of digital use with the flexibility of physical ownership.

Quezacolt

Intead of making more dumb systems, why not just stop being lazy? I honestly don't understand what's so wrong with having to get up every couple hours (if you dont play the same game for the whole day/night).
Also, consoles can still work pretty well without net connection. I changed my ISP some months ago, and forgot to connect my ps4 to the new router. I played for months without any issues.

Grinchy

Banned
The Xbox One was going to basically do this at launch. The problem was that instead of the correct way (like the way you mentioned), they wanted to charge a fee if the disc was to be used in a 2nd system. If they had just done it the right way (nullifying the key on the first system and transferring it to the 2nd until the disc came back to the 1st) then it may have just became a new standard.

Miles708

Intead of making more dumb systems, why not just stop being lazy? I honestly don't understand what's so wrong with having to get up every couple hours (if you dont play the same game for the whole day/night).
Also, consoles can still work pretty well without net connection. I changed my ISP some months ago, and forgot to connect my ps4 to the new router. I played for months without any issues.
agree completely.
Swap a disc is too much work now? :/

The idea of having together both the physical and digital version, on the other hand, can be interesting. It could be useful when the disc drive fails :messenger_grinning_squinting: but I feel it could be a dangerous way to go down to, making way for discs to be nothing more than a download key.

Quezacolt

but I feel it could be a dangerous way to go down to, making way for discs to be nothing more than a download key.
Yes, that's my biggest fear. You can still find some"physical" version of pc games, that only bring a code inside the case, or a dvd with a small steam installer. I don't want something like that on consoles, already happens with some games, but i dont want with all.

Top Bottom