• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gaming podcasts or yt channels with a similar energy to giant bomb?

Umbasaborne

Banned
One thing i love about giant bomb is how level headed, and genuine they are. They don’t talk about how “hype” they are for games, and they dont post pandering reaction videos. Now, after yesterdays news, its clear the giant bomb ive loved over the past 13 years is no more. Im unsubbed from their podcasts and the site now, but are there any other podcasts or yt channels that have a similar “genuine level headed tired old man” vibe? As i get older, i dont want to listen to people scream about how excited they are for a game and letting that cloud their judgment when it comes time to look at it in a review or preview format.

Kuranghi

The Easy Allies is genuine and level headed and any reaction videos they do are just them watching and being excited for E3 (welp) and the like, not to act over the top idiots. You possibly won't like one of the members because he's naturally over the top and excited all the time but I'm 100% sure he's genuine in how he acts tbh. The reviews and previews are honest and I think a good barometer of whether to play it or not since they try to use an absolute scale and aren't afraid to give less than 8/10 and still say its a good game.

Nothing else is going to have a similar “vibe” since that’s just based on the personalities of the people. MinnMax and EasyAllies are going to be the closest substitute but they’re still really not that similar to GiantBomb.

Also, didn’t GiantBomb do a lot of reaction videos? Maybe not as prolific as other places but it was still one of their defining aspects, particularly during E3.

I still listen to the CAG cast. Though they rarely actually talk about games anymore, It's still fun to hear their day to day goings on.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
Cheap ass gamer

if you like listing to dads talk about games and a lot of other stuff it’s worth it.

Last edited:
Cheapy D trying everything to win people over to the Quest 2 and no one having any of it amuses me.
Tired old men indeed.

AmuroChan

Nowadays I mainly just listen to Sacred Symbols and Defining Duke. You definitely won't find reaction videos or pandering with those guys, especially SS since they're blacklisted by PlayStation lol.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
Wombats Fortnite obsession rivals my brothers…. What’s with dads and Fortnite :messenger_tears_of_joy:

supernova8

Banned
They aren't running anymore but I loved Noobtoob, two dudes just drinking wine/beer and talking about games. They are possibly the least PC (politically correct) people ever on youtube. They probably ended it at a good time because Youtube 2021 would permaban them into the next solar system.

It was great how one of the dudes loves strategy games and the other dudes is in love with the Yakuza series and some other more action-type games, they really complemented each other.

Umbasaborne

Banned
Nothing else is going to have a similar “vibe” since that’s just based on the personalities of the people. MinnMax and EasyAllies are going to be the closest substitute but they’re still really not that similar to GiantBomb.

Also, didn’t GiantBomb do a lot of reaction videos? Maybe not as prolific as other places but it was still one of their defining aspects, particularly during E3.
I mean they streamed themselves watching e3, but they never put out seperate reaction videos to make a buck like others do. They never put out a video like “JEFF REACTS TO MARIO ODYSSEY E3 ANNOUNCEMENT😂😱👀”. Obviously thats hyperbole, but you get where im coming from

I still listen to the CAG cast. Though they rarely actually talk about games anymore, It's still fun to hear their day to day goings on.

Yeah, it's not really a games podcast anymore lol. Two of the hosts also think the audience cares about their political hot takes which is annoying. I actually don't listen to them anymore because the show quality dropped a lot.

Umbasaborne

Banned

The Easy Allies is genuine and level headed and any reaction videos they do are just them watching and being excited for E3 (welp) and the like, not to act over the top idiots. You possibly won't like one of the members because he's naturally over the top and excited all the time but I'm 100% sure he's genuine in how he acts tbh. The reviews and previews are honest and I think a good barometer of whether to play it or not since they try to use an absolute scale and aren't afraid to give less than 8/10 and still say its a good game.
Ill give them a try, the over the top e3 2015 reactions turned me off but ive heard a lot of other great things about those guys

Kuranghi

Ill give them a try, the over the top e3 2015 reactions turned me off but ive heard a lot of other great things about those guys

The only reason that happened is because that was literally the most excited they've ever been about a game announcement. Thats not really par for the course these days. As I said, sometimes they get excited about new stuff but its very genuine and usually because its a new game from a big name dev or because the franchise has come back to glory (RE7).

jigglet

Banned
IGN UK.

I think almost all IGN podcasts have become SJW trash, but IGN UK still keeps it real. I really enjoy it. It's the only IGN channel I still listen to.

Calverz

Lol huber?

Haven't listened myself yet but Dan Ryckert, Mike Mahardy and Mary Kish started a gaming podcast called Fire Escape.
Interesting. I haven't listened either. Anyone listen yet? How is it? Mary has blm in her twitter profile and Mike works for Polygon and Vox so I don't have high hopes.

Dav-Kripler

Too many ppl been sleeping on TCGS.

Just a sample, these boys have been at it since Jeff was still at game spot (albeit in different forms before this one : dark zero/midnight resistance/Joypod)

Seasoned pros at taking the piss out of one another whilst sharing a sincere passion for gaming reminiscent of Ryan Davis days at GB.

Top Bottom