• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gaming laptop recommendations.

Shagger

Banned
Pretty self exlpanitory.

It's very likely that my job is going to take me away from home soon for what could be up to 2 years. My company is of course gonna pay for my accommodation, but with weekly or fortnightly trips back home. I'll probably bring a console, but on the odd chance that isn't practical, I'm looking for a decent gaming laptop as well.

1080p will be perfectly adequate for a laptop sized screen, so I'm not wasting money on something that can do more than that. Other than that, a solid framrate on modern and semi modern games on high-ish settings will do, but since I might be using it a long time, something that's ready for the future would be nice. I live in the UK and from my own looking around a decent machine is looking at around £1000, so if this can be done for less I would love to know.

Thanks in advance for any and all help and advise.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Anything gtx 1050ti and up is ok ish for gaming.
If you must get a gaming laptop.

Also don't buy a gaming laptop get something light. Surface etc.

And then buy a nintendo switch.

I had an alienware r3 with a gtx1070 for a good 2 days.

Great battery life for about 30 min.
Weight a ton.
Sounded like a jet engine on fullblast.

Returned it. Got a surface pro 5 + switch.
Never looked back.

Shagger

Banned

Weight a ton.

Never looked back.

I see your point, but I already plan to bring my PS4 and a second console would be a bit of extra baggage, especially since I'll likely need a laptop as a utility anyway. I certainly consider it though. Thanks.

Last edited:

TheContact

My desktop has a 144hz monitor and my gaming laptop (a few years old) only has 60hz refresh rate. Needless to say, I have a very difficult time gaming on it now. In fact, I barely use it. I'm using my Chromebook a lot more.

Durask

I would not go below GTX 1060 and search for something within your price ranger.

IMHO a great laptop for work and gaming is Surface Book 2 but cheapest gaming configuration is 13.5 inch with GTX1060 and it is about 1200 in GBP I think.

KàIRóS

Sounds like you just want the laptop for gaming, have you considered getting the new Nintendo Switch Lite instead?

mcjmetroid

Don't want to create a separate thread but

does anyone have any recommendations on a decent gaming PC?
( I don't think I need a laptop)

I'm not a big PC gamer and basically want it to run emulators at high quality.
Only 1080p resolution is necessary for myself as I only have a 1080P projector at home.
Basically I'd like to be able to play.. MOST modern PC games but I'm OK with 1080P 60FPS settings
Also any recommendations for an online store that ships to Ireland/UK or a European store?

Budget would be around 1000 Euros/ dollars whatever you get the idea :)

I'm sorta new to the gaming PC side so if I'm being stupid with info let me know.

Edit: Also not that looks too gimmicky with crazy lights and such though I'm not that picky but a lot of them look kinda naff to me at first glance

Last edited:

Shagger

Banned
Sounds like you just want the laptop for gaming, have you considered getting the new Nintendo Switch Lite instead?

I could use the versatility and utility aspects of a laptop as well. It's mostly for my hotel room I'm thinking of, so the Switch lite isn't really ideal and will barely get the chance to use it outside the hotel room anyway unless I'm travelling. Some hotels are difficult when it comes to hooking up your own stuff to their TV's (like consoles), that's kinda why I fancy a laptop.

Durask

Don't want to create a separate thread but

does anyone have any recommendations on a decent gaming PC?
( I don't think I need a laptop)

I'm not a big PC gamer and basically want it to run emulators at high quality.
Only 1080p resolution is necessary for myself as I only have a 1080P projector at home.
Basically I'd like to be able to play.. MOST modern PC games but I'm OK with 1080P 60FPS settings
Also any recommendations for an online store that ships to Ireland/UK or a European store?

Budget would be around 1000 Euros/ dollars whatever you get the idea :)

I'm sorta new to the gaming PC side so if I'm being stupid with info let me know.

Edit: Also not that looks too gimmicky with crazy lights and such though I'm not that picky but a lot of them look kinda naff to me at first glance

Something like this?

Pick the one with GTX 1660 and 256 GB SSD

I think Dell is usually a safe choice.

Last edited:

mcjmetroid

CeeJay

Weight a ton.

Never looked back.
I don't think you'll be getting decent graphics performance out of that or is it a surface book that you meant?

MSI laptops usually give you the most bang for your buck, however if you're interested in tinkering with Linux and the like, look elsewhere. Their bios notoriously doesn't play nice with other operating systems. I regret upgrading from Sager for that reason. :(

Last edited:

Durask

How is MSI service?
Also I checked their prices, to me looks like in the same ballpark as Dell. However that is in the US, may be very different in other countries.

Shagger

Banned
I'm quite liking the look of this one, although I can't figure out what this "free gift" is

MKxZtVk.png

85xEzLS.png

Shifty1897

I find it hard to recommend any gaming laptop. If you need a laptop and also want to play games while travelling, I recommend a good Surface Pro, which will run indie games and anything PS2 and before just fine, and Civ!

I was on the road for work for a year about 8 years ago and my Vita was all I ever wanted to play. In 2019 that translates to a Switch in handheld mode.

Durask

OP, can you find anything better than GTX1650 for this price?

Looked on Amazon UK this looks like a much better laptop for less money. Better video card, 120Hz display...

I just searched on Amazon UK for "gaming laptop gtx 1660" - tons of options.

Last edited:

DESTROYA

Pretty self exlpanitory.

It's very likely that my job is going to take me away from home soon for what could be up to 2 years. My company is of course gonna pay for my accommodation, but with weekly or fortnightly trips back home. I'll probably bring a console, but on the odd chance that isn't practical, I'm looking for a decent gaming laptop as well.

1080p will be perfectly adequate for a laptop sized screen, so I'm not wasting money on something that can do more than that. Other than that, a solid framrate on modern and semi modern games on high-ish settings will do, but since I might be using it a long time, something that's ready for the future would be nice. I live in the UK and from my own looking around a decent machine is looking at around £1000, so if this can be done for less I would love to know.

Thanks in advance for any and all help and advise.

This is the best bang for your buck going, not sure how much they sell for overseas but ...

Lenovo Y540 with GTX 1660ti that probably 40%-50% more powerful than the GTX 1650.

Acer Predator Helios 300 can get both with same specs and 144hz screen for a little over $1000 in the USA .

HP Pavillion 15 Gaming laptop it has a slightly weaker GTX 1660ti MQ ( basically a lower power version ) but still a pretty big improvement over the GTX 1650.
Runs cool and quiet.

GTX 1650 is the bare minimum to go if you want decent gaming but for more future proofing I would go with a GTX 1660ti.
All of the above laptops have pretty good sales regularly so I would look around for the best deal and the ASUS already posted above.

Last edited:

DESTROYA

As the poster above mentioned the ASUS is a good alternative also if your on a budget

Last edited:

Corderlain

Banned
There a laptop with a 1660 I've had my eye on for a little while that's close to your budget. I'll post a like in a few minutes

haxan7

Volunteered as Tribute
I would steer clear from a laptop specifically made for gaming. They all tend to be big and bulky, with a screen that's built for a high refresh rate but sacrifices image quality, especially since you want to keep the price around £1000/$1300 USD.

I would recommend looking at the Dell XPS 15.

Last edited:

Despera

Banned
I find it hard to recommend any gaming laptop. If you need a laptop and also want to play games while travelling, I recommend a good Surface Pro, which will run indie games and anything PS2 and before just fine, and Civ!

I was on the road for work for a year about 8 years ago and my Vita was all I ever wanted to play. In 2019 that translates to a Switch in handheld mode.
In my case I had to travel every single week. Had no choice but to get one of those $3k MSI gaming laptops (GT80 Titan).

Over 3 years later and its still going strong with most games running on high at least.

So depending on their circumstances it can be worth it.

DESTROYA

I would steer clear from a laptop specifically made for gaming. They all tend to be big and bulky, with a screen that's built for a high refresh rate but sacrifices image quality, especially since you want to keep the price around £1000/$1300 USD.

I would recommend looking at the Dell XPS 15.
Not if you pick the right one and do your homework ,1080P screens are still very good as long as it’s decent quality the Dell XPS 15 with GTX 1650 is a very expensive thermally throttling mess and pairing it with the GTX 1650 ( which is the only version to get if you want to do any real gaming ).

Last edited:

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
Man, that's a beast for that kinda price, but nearest Costco is miles away and who knows if the UK stores even stock it.
Oh wow, didn’t realize you were in the UK. If there’s none close, they usually offer free shipping, depending on your timeframe (at least here in the states). Good luck!

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong

Here's the laptop I've been keeping an eye on. It has used for 800 or so
That’s a nice laptop for the price, too. Problem is buying used from Amazon warehouse, you have no idea how much longer is left on that precious manufacturer warranty. Did you check out the MSI I linked earlier in the thread? It’s quite similar to this, little more expensive at $999 BRAND NEW but it does come with that nice extended Costco warranty. PLUS, MSI actually offers a 1-year “accidental” damage warranty with their products, which is pretty great.

DESTROYA

That’s a nice laptop for the price, too. Problem is buying used from Amazon warehouse, you have no idea how much longer is left on that precious manufacturer warranty. Did you check out the MSI I linked earlier in the thread? It’s quite similar to this, little more expensive at $999 BRAND NEW but it does come with that nice extended Costco warranty. PLUS, MSI actually offers a 1-year “accidental” damage warranty with their products, which is pretty great.
That’s a great laptop but I’m really not a fan of the red keyboard backlight.
Specs are great though .

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Sorry to bump an old thread, but hoping to get some insight. I've decided to pick up a Windows laptop that can do gaming pretty well since I've got a lot of business trips coming up. It's been a long time since I had a gaming laptop (been using MacBooks since 2013 or so), so I'm kind of lost.

I found what looks to be a great deal on a Razer Blade 15.6" 2019 model (with 9th gen i7 and RTX 2060) for $1580 open-box.

After spending a couple of hours this morning researching the latest laptop, it appears to be the best balance of gaming performance, size, battery life, and general usability (has built-in camera, has good selection of ports, etc.), but are there any possibly better options out there that I'm missing? The ASUS ROG Zephyrus S with G-Sync looked like a really good option, too, but the battery life seemed really poor and it was missing a built-in camera, which unfortunately is a deal breaker for me.

Top Bottom