• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gaming Energy Drinks

Silvawuff

GAF, what are your thoughts about energy drinks marketed toward the "gaming" hobby crowd? I've tried a few powdered mixes you shake up, and I feel they hit me different over coffee. I don't use them specifically to game -- I work a bunch and I feel more focused with certain brands. I feel it's an interesting (and growing) market that's worth talking about. Do you hit mainstream energy drinks like Red Bull, Monster, etc. when gaming or working? Soda?

cormack12

Gold Member
You don't need energy for sitting on your arse.

The amount of shit in those drinks, just have a cup of coffee or caffeine tablet if you really need that 'alert edge'.

I feel cold drinkable meals in a can would be better for people who play games. Like gamer soups, broths etc.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
I avoid them because if I'm going to drink sugary poison, it will be something that actually taste good and doesn't fuck up my heart. If I'm tired I'll sleep.

Dr.Morris79

Gold Member
You don't need energy for sitting on your arse.

The amount of shit in those drinks, just have a cup of coffee or caffeine tablet if you really need that 'alert edge'.

I feel cold drinkable meals in a can would be better for people who play games. Like gamer soups, broths etc.
But imagine the health benefits in twenty years time for these kids (and adults) chugging down six cans of this a day..

It'll be epic.

cormack12

Gold Member
But imagine the health benefits in twenty years time for these kids (and adults) chugging down six cans of this a day..

It'll be epic.

tumblr_pfxuvxC5ap1vbcnq8o3_500.gifv

tumblr_pfxuvxC5ap1vbcnq8o2_500.gifv

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Energy drinks are fucking poison.

But then again Vodka and RedBull was one of my favorite drink "back in the day". But obviously it did not ended up good. However my blood pressure is still low. So in that case it does not affected me as much.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Nah, all I need to increase my gaming expertise is a glass of cool water and some weed.

DESTROYA

Energy drinks are one of the most overrated garbage drinks ever created, all taste like shit and are full of nasty shit.
Drink a large Ice Coffee Black no Sugar to get some pep in your step.

xrnzaaas

I occassionally drink Monster (sugar free), but I wouldn't pay or drink extra just because the art on the can is gaming related.

Last edited:

notseqi

Water, wine or beer. Miss me with that sugary stuff. The blatant marketing targeted at gaming kids is offputting aswell.

Silvawuff

People who drink this shit really need to discover some coke...

So uh...what "coke" we talkin about?

BTW I found this video a few days ago. This guy does a great job of breaking down the different ingredients in popular brands and what they do to your body, etc. It's worth a watch if you're into this stuff.

Last edited:
Do toddlers really like Dora the explorer drink, or do they just like the label?
Now scale to Red Bull, Mountain Dew, Bullit, <your shitty drink of choice>.

It's just poison and you are paying them to get rid of it for them.
Have some respect for your body, kids. It's gonna be a long slog and sitting and consuming sugar is a bad idea.

/old_fart

MrS

Banned
Prefer the ones marketed to the sports crowd i.e. Carabao, which is a lovely refreshing beverage.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Gaming energy drinks (and energy drinks in general) have an effect. I remember there being loose talks about banning them from fighting game tourneys / esports tourneys because you're dosing so high on caffeine. The other vitamins and nutrients also have some effect.

I don't need to "perform better" when gaming, even if it's a challenging, frustrating game.

I used to buy 2 16oz Red Bulls + pack of cigarettes and consume both before the end of the day. I also used to be almost 300 lbs. Glad that I kicked both habits.

MiguelItUp

I was big into energy drinks when they first started popping up forever ago. But the whole "gamer energy drink" thing to me is so bizarre, lmao. I got Gfuel once because I wanted their DOOM Eternal shaker cup thing and it was a limited bundle. It came with spicy lemonade or something? It was bizarre, lol. It just tasted like I was drinking spicy lemonade Crystal Lite. Nothing about it felt special.

I even tried one of the newer canned Mountain Dew Game Fuel things cause I was curious. I tried the blue raspberry one. It wasn't bad, but it was just too much. Which, sounds about right for Mountain Dew. I felt like I was just drinking pure syrup. But I will say the can design was pretty cool with the sliding tab and all.

But after everything was said and done my thought was, "Why not just drink coffee?" There's so many different kinds of coffee, things you can add to it, and ways you can make it. Soooo many possibilities!

Hell, at least with coffee you get that caffeine kick and you also stay regular, so it's two birds one stone! Let's see your Gfuel and Game Fuel do that! Oh what's that? Coffee not making you shit your pants anymore? Well, then up the ante you pansy!

teezzy

Banned
I just quit energy drinks in general. Too much garbage in em. Im going coffee only from this point on

Hoping to ween off caffeine in general after this

Last edited:

PresetError

Neophyte
I stopped drinking Tang when I was 9 years old. Nowadays I only drink powdered beverages when they serve them to me in a movie theatre or a fast food chain restaurant and I barely go to those places anymore. I don't even drink coffee. I'm mostly a water person.

Umbral

Bang or go home.

915E2e0%2B%2BCL._SL1500_.jpg
That shit is garbage. I tried it because so many people were talking about it. I even tried that flavor specifically. It was gross.

I’ll stick with Redbull (the unwoke) and Monster (Kojima-style). I generally avoid them but if I have one, it’s those two.

teezzy

Banned
I stopped drinking Tang when I was 9 years old. Nowadays I only drink powdered beverages when they serve them to me in a movie theatre or a fast food chain restaurant and I barely go to those places anymore. I don't even drink coffee. I'm mostly a water person.

Idk why this made me laugh. I havent thought of Tang in like two decades. Do they still even make it?

Kerlurk

Banned

Last edited:

frostyxc

That shit is garbage. I tried it because so many people were talking about it. I even tried that flavor specifically. It was gross.

I’ll stick with Redbull (the unwoke) and Monster (Kojima-style). I generally avoid them but if I have one, it’s those two.
The flavor is scarily accurate to whatever non-soda flavors they're doing (à la Jones), but I was just being a Jokey Jokerson. The name is funny, but you're right: it's garbage.

Gfuel because it is really cheap per 16oz.

that and coffee.

If I had to pick an energy drink you can buy at gas station I would go with Redbull. I also like the Boston America cans.

Most of these energy drinks taste like crap, and will make you feel like crap.

sobaka770

Banned
I find most gaming-oriented apparel as cringe and tryhard.
Energy drinks are just the worst - I can drink a Red Bull (although I'm trying to quit) but nobody will put Monster energy or any other sugary syrup of overcaffeinated death with a neon logo on black background.
I just feel so much worse after drinking them it's not worth it.

Nah, I retired drinking that shit years ago... It happend when I had Tachycardia one night when I finished drinking a Monster during my long ass gaming session. I don't want to go through shit again.

Justin9mm

don’t have energy drinks whilst gaming don’t feel the need to be honest, prefer a glass of whisky myself but that usually makes me less alert :messenger_grinning_sweat:
This is pretty much me.. I will have a few whiskeys at home and I get really bad at playing Modern Warfare, my reactions times are non existent after a few.

Top Bottom