• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gaming cliffhangers that never had a resolution

Codes 208

COD Ghosts
May as well add advanced warfare to that list. Ghost, AW and Infinite Warfare will live on as the triad of no more sequels.
Half Life 2: Episode Two

ci3OGZ0.jpg
Does the time paradox that Half-Life: Alyx created count as a conclusion?

Bridges

D4: Dark Dreams Don't Die
capsule_616x353.jpg

An episodic game that launched with "Season 1" which consisted of only a prologue and 2 episodes. The second episode ends with a massive cliffhanger and it was apparent even when the game first released that they'd never continue the story (absolutely nobody played it, was an early XB1 exclusive that got zero marketing on release and was intended to be played with Kinect, basically checked all of the boxes for DOA).

It was later ported for Steam but no one really paid attention to it there either. Plans for a season 2 were briefly teased but after a falling out between Swery and his development team it was confirmed that the series would never continue as he no longer has the rights to the IP.

This is all referenced in Deadly Premonition 2, where Francis Morgan remarks that his upstairs neighbor went insane due to never being able to complete his quest to find his wife's killer. Quite an unsatisfying conclusion for what was, to me, a very interesting and weird story and one of the best Kinect games out there.

kiphalfton

Clive Barker's Jericho. They literally ended up in an ocean in hell with half the team dead by that point.

Yeah that’s how I felt. Only played through the game once, but it seemed like an epic journey (albeit on of the most liner games I’ve ever played). But maybe it wasn’t as good as I thought it was.

The Darkness 2..fuck you digital exreme
Deus Ex Mankind Divided... fuck you square

Yeah those b-tier horror fps games really got us last gen. Also Condemned 2 probably left in a cliffhanger, though I can’t even remember.

Last edited:

AREYOUOKAY?

While technically not a cliffhanger it was to everyone not living in Japan.

So basically you get Roy in Smash Bros. Melee and his prequel game localized. However you're now stuck with a cliffhanger ending and never even get to see Roy in his own game. Oh and apparently it wasn't included in the PAL version. Talk about a cock block tease to the new fans of Fire Emblem. Even though they also never gave us Fire Emblem 12 at least Shadow Dragon didn't have credits that did something like this

So until Nintendo finally decides to remake 6 I'll still consider things unresolved.

Last edited:

Sleepwalker

Days gone

So basically you get Roy in Smash Bros. Melee and his prequel game localized. However you're now stuck with a cliffhanger ending and never even get to see Roy in his own game. Oh and apparently it wasn't included in the PAL version. Talk about a cock block tease to the new fans of Fire Emblem. Even though they also never gave us Fire Emblem 12 at least Shadow Dragon didn't have credits that did something like this

So until Nintendo finally decides to remake 6 I'll still consider things unresolved.

This was my first fire emblem and yeah this happened to me. Ive never played 6. Eventually I spoiled myself so its whatever now but I was super frustrated. I still love this FE though, should replay it soon.

Bakkus

Conduit 2, Abraham Lincoln
That was the one I was gonna mention. Just look it up on YouTube. You gotta see it to believe it.

A fan translation happened forever ago. There is no problem playing this game if you want too. You could even get a repro GBA cart https://www.ebay.com/sch/1249/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=sword+of+seals Sleepwalker Sleepwalker you too.

AREYOUOKAY?

That was the one I was gonna mention. Just look it up on YouTube. You gotta see it to believe it.

A fan translation happened forever ago. There is no problem playing this game if you want too. You could even get a repro GBA cart https://www.ebay.com/sch/1249/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=sword+of+seals Sleepwalker Sleepwalker you too.
Yes I've played the fan translation, however you'd think Nintendo would get the hint by now that we want something official. At least it would have a much higher chance of being done over Mother 3.

Elginer

Advent Rising.... we were left on a complete cliff hanger.

Fuck you Majesco
Came to say this, it still fucking hurts. This franchise had so much potential. Also Days Gone, Sony better fix this shit!!!!

Last edited:

Robb

Gold Member
HL2: Ep.2 is the first thing that came to mind. But I guess we might actually get some kind of continuation to it going forward considering Alyx.

I also remember one of Metroid Prime 3’s endings being a cliffhanger, curious to see if they follow up on that in MP4 or not.

Toots

Gold Member
apps.8616.66760509841656021.68e829c1-f801-4f73-b174-2b4c07b55faf.a6bb1f27-64ee-427a-9d89-e206aab21fc2

Breakdown for me.
I need a sequel where we go and save Alex's future timeline.
Then in the third game the pendulum effect kicks in again and you're left trying to maintain a stable relationship while moving randomly from one timeline to the other. The last mission would be having to go through an ugly divorce in both timelines and mitigating spousal support as much as you can while dealing your growing alcoholism.

edit : kicks in not kick in

Last edited:

GymWolf

Recently? Days gone secret finale, it was by far the best bit of story and we are never gonna see a sequel...

GymWolf

apps.8616.66760509841656021.68e829c1-f801-4f73-b174-2b4c07b55faf.a6bb1f27-64ee-427a-9d89-e206aab21fc2

Breakdown for me.
I need a sequel where we go and save Alex's future timeline.
Then in the third game the pendulum effect kicks in again and you're left trying to maintain a stable relationship while moving randomly from one timeline to the other. The last mission would be having to go through an ugly divorce in both timelines and mitigating spousal support as much as you can while dealing your growing alcoholism.

edit : kicks in not kick in
I thought i was the only one who liked that game.

Star-Lord

Uncharted. What did the daughter grow up to be? Does she write her pronouns in her Twitter bio?
I know this is a joke post, but haven't Naughty Dog confirmed they're working on the next Uncharted title?

I think they stated they're moving away from Nathan's story, but I can easily see them focusing on Cassie.

Hmm - no resolution to this really:

2.jpg

Would be nice to see what happened to see Sonny Bonds and his wife and kid too. I can see Darryl Gates was a big draw, but they just abandoned them in Police Quest 4.

Last edited:

CuNi

Dead Space 3.
Even though I think the series really went to shit with DS3, the story still ended with a huge cliffhanger.

Portal 2.
What became of Chell on the outside? How is the world now?
The Steam Deck game Aperture Desk Job also shows Cave Johnson still being alive.
Though that's debatable if anything that happens in there is canon or not. I don't know if anyone ever commented on the situation.

Bloodborne.
2/3 endings imply that the cycle will continue.
If you awaken, the PC is healed but there will be another hunt in the future.
If you become the new host of the dream the cycle also continues.
In the secret ending, you become a god yourself, which doesn't really tell if the cycle will continue or what consequences this has for it now that you usurped the previous Nightmare and left the dream without a host.

RavenSan

Off-Site Inflammatory Member
As someone who loves Xenoblade -- and finally just setup Cemu so I can play X -- this worries me that I've seen it mentioned several times.

T-Cake

Dead Space 3.
Even though I think the series really went to shit with DS3, the story still ended with a huge cliffhanger.

Care to spill in spoiler tags? I doubt I'll ever get round to completing DS3. I tried three times but keep giving up.

Last edited:

TheMan

Interesting to hear about xcx- I borrowed a friends Wii U for a few weeks and bought this game for the giant robots without realizing it took a long time to unlock them. Long story short I still have the game disc, no Wii U, and I never got to play with them bots. If they ever do make a sequel I wonder if they’ll remaster the first one too

XIII (The story came from a comic, so technically there is a resolution)
Alpha Protocol
Half Life 2 - Episode 2
Darkness 2 (will forever be pissed about this, game was a blast)
Battlefield: Bad Company 2
Dante's Inferno (so much potential)
Metal Gear Solid V (technically it was unfinished, the plot just kind of stops)

Also, I might be the only one, but I legit do not want a continuation to Mirror's Edge Catalyst. Gamplay was fun but the story was utter trash, I'd rather have a continuation of the original game.

Last edited:

Banned
I didn't mind all the clunkiness of this one, but I did mind the cliffhanger since I knew that they're not gonna get a sequel greenlit lol:

this game has many cool ideas, too bad it was such an unfinished mess... even the "enhanced" version later released on PS3 was still pretty bad

It's really irritating me but there was a PS2 game which was supposed to be a trilogy that was cancelled and leaves the main protagonist basically tied up and stranded on an ice planet. Comically dark because the game didn't perform well enough to greenlight a sequel but I can't for the life of me remember the name of the game.

Kokoloko85

Shen Mue
Half life
Bloodborne ( eh did i get out of the knightmare )
Megaman
MGS V
Returnal…. Give me the next DLC

Last edited:

CuNi

Care to spill in spoiler tags? I doubt I'll ever get round to completing DS3. I tried three times but keep giving up.

So the whole idea of DS3 was to establish that the Markers, after creating a big enough concentration of necromorph, pull all the mass towards a single point in orbit, creating literally a huge clump of necromorphs the size of a moon which then fuse together to create a single necromorph called a "brethren moon". Once this process is complete, all other moons also wake up and they collectively consume all life in the galaxy. After that, they go back into a slumber and place markers around the universe to restart the cycle.

At the end of DS3 it is revealed that the Moon in orbit of the frozen Planet is a nearly completed brethren moon, which was frozen moments before it's completion. Because of the events in DS3 it actually completes, but Isaak and Carver destroy it.

DLC:
You awaken on the planet again but find out that it wasn't a singular moon but there were others in a slumber and now on their way to earth to feast on humanity.
You fight through fanatics and have multiple hallucinations along the way. You end up boarding a ship with Carver and warp to earth. Once you arrive, Isaak hails Earth to warn them but nobody responds. Several moons appear behind earth implicating they are already consuming earth and another moon flies into view directly in front of their ship, implying they crash into/on it, leaving their fate open.

So the whole idea of DS3 was to establish that the Markers, after creating a big enough concentration of necromorph, pull all the mass towards a single point in orbit, creating literally a huge clump of necromorphs the size of a moon which then fuse together to create a single necromorph called a "brethren moon". Once this process is complete, all other moons also wake up and they collectively consume all life in the galaxy. After that, they go back into a slumber and place markers around the universe to restart the cycle.

At the end of DS3 it is revealed that the Moon in orbit of the frozen Planet is a nearly completed brethren moon, which was frozen moments before it's completion. Because of the events in DS3 it actually completes, but Isaak and Carver destroy it.

DLC:
You awaken on the planet again but find out that it wasn't a singular moon but there were others in a slumber and now on their way to earth to feast on humanity.
You fight through fanatics and have multiple hallucinations along the way. You end up boarding a ship with Carver and warp to earth. Once you arrive, Isaak hails Earth to warn them but nobody responds. Several moons appear behind earth implicating they are already consuming earth and another moon flies into view directly in front of their ship, implying they crash into/on it, leaving their fate open.

Such a fantastic piece of DLC, I was totally hyped when I saw that ending. Such a shame they disbanded the studio. I doubt they'll continue the story in the remake, if they even make it to Dead Space 2 and 3 remake. Would be great though.

Last edited:
Top Bottom