• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gaming Bolt's Best Looking games of 2020. Winner Announced.

thelastword

Banned

List of Best Looking Games (Technically and Artistically)

Resident Evil 3 remake
Spiderman remastered
Mafia Definitive Edition
Half Life Alyx
Hades
Assassins Creed Valhalla
Ori and the Will of the Wisps
The Last of Us Part 2
Ghost of Tsushima
Final Fantasy 7 Remake
Marvels Spiderman Miles Morales
Demon Souls
Watch Dogs Legion
Doom Eternal
Cyberpunk 2077
MS Flight Simulator

Winner
Demon Souls

Dunno. I just never saw a Gaming Bolt article/video posted here.

I've seen them before here.

Imtjnotu

A souls game winning best looking game lmao
salt bae GIF

lol I legit knew what game won just by who posted the thread

Good for Demon's Souls though, best looking console game I have ever seen. Bluepoint are magicians.

CP77 and FS2020 do a little more, IMO, but can't go wrong with Demon's Souls. I use the Performance Mode in this game too, still stunning.

edit

Watch Dogs: Legion tho? Really?

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
I think games like CP (raw power) or even Doom (with it's incredible performance) deserve it better but hey, nobody can say that DS doesn't look really great.

Could be better in technical levels (for what I've seen at least, haven't played it) but the art design carries it.

Well, since this is a VFXVeteran VFXVeteran hate-boner thread now, might as well chime this in:

Dude is living rent free in your heads. He is a passionate PC gamer, and he speaks with some level of expertise (I assume, at least, hence the vetted tag, right?)

Doesn't make him right, don't get me wrong, but shit talking when he is banned and can't reply doesn't seem particularly righteous either.

"Attack the post, not the poster."

I also don't quote understand why so many GAFers actively and openly try to dismiss anything PC gaming related. I mention this, as these people also seem to (coincidentally?) jump on anything and everything VFX posts.

Finally, I gotta say, I see people get pretty personal when replying to him ("everything you post is dumber than the last thing you posted," "you need to seek mental help," etc) yet he says "Sony Fanboys" and catches bans. One is okay and the other isn't? Seems like something that goes both ways, but hey, I am just a fat guy in a basement, what the fuck do I know?

Harrison Ford Shrug GIF by Star Wars

Long Live Lord Gamecube.

Last edited:

TonyK

I'm glad the winner is Demons Souls, it's simply the only game I played that seems next gen. However, I need to say I don't have played Cyberpunk on PC.

thelastword

Banned
I'm glad the winner is Demons Souls, it's simply the only game I played that seems next gen. However, I need to say I don't have played Cyberpunk on PC.
Don't worry you've already played the better looking game, besides there are more impressive open world games out there than Cyberpunk 2077, more impressive worlds with a higher attention to detail that does not fall apart with tonnes of 2d background elements, lots of 2D bitmap cars in the background, inexistent A.i and physics, lack of interaction......Shiny streets does not make a game look great. Daytime in Cyberpunk is atrocious when you compare the level of detail in GTA5 in any setting or time.....

Even Watch Dogs is more convincing as a cyberpunk type of setting with a little more authenticity and interaction in the world.....

Well, since this is a VFXVeteran VFXVeteran hate-boner thread now, might as well chime this in:

Dude is living rent free in your heads. He is a passionate PC gamer, and he speaks with some level of expertise (I assume, at least, hence the vetted tag, right?)

Doesn't make him right, don't get me wrong, but shit talking when he is banned and can't reply doesn't seem particularly righteous either.

"Attack the post, not the poster."

I also don't quote understand why so many GAFers actively and openly try to dismiss anything PC gaming related. I mention this, as these people also seem to (coincidentally?) jump on anything and everything VFX posts.

Finally, I gotta say, I see people get pretty personal when replying to him ("everything you post is dumber than the last thing you posted," "you need to seek mental help," etc) yet he says "Sony Fanboys" and catches bans. One is okay and the other isn't? Seems like something that goes both ways, but hey, I am just a fat guy in a basement, what the fuck do I know?

Harrison Ford Shrug GIF by Star Wars

Long Live Lord Gamecube.

He seems to complains about Sony fans a little too much in my opinion. Also he tends to become a little aggressive in Sony related tech threads like the Spiderman Ray Tracing one. I have him on ignore for those reasons.

With that said he's been given plenty of warnings on that type on behavior since it's really not productive to complain about Sony fans as much as he does or to play the victim. He just needs to tone it down a bit and I believe he won't have any issues here.

DF's video after 24h, 212K views.
Gaming Bolt's video after 24h, 18K views.

Wonder how long OP had to look before finding a video that agreed with his opinion. Cyberpunk getting the title from DF seems to have triggered him.

So what's your issue with gamingbolt? It's just their opinion just like Digital Foundry had theirs with Cyberpunk.

Neo_game

This is a much better list IMO and nice to see Mafia DE but some games should not be on that list. Crysis Remastered and Dreams should definitely be on that list and IMO Sackboy adventure is very underrated. The only saving grace for WDL is rtx, I think COD should replace it.

thelastword

Banned
Eh, I think TLOU2 looks better
It could be argued.....Looking at all these best graphics awards.....I've also been asking, do people really remember how great LOU2 looked?....A few scenes have just rushed in my mind and man, LOU2 was simply insane....How huge the level/world was, the textures, moody dark lighting that is so hard to perfect in game, the materials work, the houses you went into, the level of ATD in and out of them and the world, the character details, the foliage/forest/water, the sublime animation work and physics which all blended in and gelled so seamlessly a whole....

Perhaps one one of the most impressive parts for me was towards the end where the sense of scale and danger was towering. TLOU is not simply graphics, it sells you on the illusion that you are in a real dangerous world fighting for your life, not only the enemies therein, but the scale and danger of the environments, the water rapids, the danger of falling off, the sound and animation that accompanies close calls and winces....I really believe LOU2 deserves it's credit as a tour de force of graphics this year....It could top the list and I would not budge, it's that good. The level of detail in LOU2, the overall composition (graphics, characters, animations, physics, ATD) has not been surpassed in a next gen game yet IMO.

Demon Souls is a tour de force so far, but I think LOU 2 deserves more accolades since that level of visual mastery was delivered on a 1.84TF PS4. Man, I can only imagine what ND, Santa Monica and Guerilla will do this gen based on their output this gen and the fact that Demon Souls has already impressed so much so early on...

thelastword

Banned
Pretty obvious choice. Not sure why this would be controversial.

:messenger_neutral:
Well, it's pretty obvious that Demon Souls slays.......It looks bonkers on a putrid 10.23TF console, no need for a 36TF PC GPU that can't even run Cyberpunk at max with good frames and even then, the compromises and inconsistencies in it's visuals are still plainly evident...

It could be argued.....Looking at all these best graphics awards.....I've also been asking, do people really remember how great LOU2 looked?....A few scenes have just rushed in my mind and man, LOU2 was simply insane....How huge the level/world was, the textures, moody dark lighting that is so hard to perfect in game, the materials work, the houses you went into, the level of ATD in and out of them and the world, the character details, the foliage/forest/water, the sublime animation work and physics which all blended in and gelled so seamlessly a whole....

Perhaps one one of the most impressive parts for me was towards the end where the sense of scale and danger was towering. TLOU is not simply graphics, it sells you on the illusion that you are in a real dangerous world fighting for your life, not only the enemies therein, but the scale and danger of the environments, the water rapids, the danger of falling off, the sound and animation that accompanies close calls and winces....I really believe LOU2 deserves it's credit as a tour de force of graphics this year....It could top the list and I would not budge, it's that good. The level of detail in LOU2, the overall composition (graphics, characters, animations, physics, ATD) has not been surpassed in a next gen game yet IMO.

Demon Souls is a tour de force so far, but I think LOU 2 deserves more accolades since that level of visual mastery was delivered on a 1.84TF PS4. Man, I can only imagine what ND, Santa Monica and Guerilla will do this gen based on their output this gen and the fact that Demon Souls has already impressed so much so early on...

This so hard.

Entroyp

Demon’s Souls is beautiful, can’t argue with that pick.

Edit: Wow at people are arguing against DS 😂

Last edited:

TheAssist

Here is our best looking game this gen. Also here is giant promotion for another video atop of the footage of the best looking gen this game.

thelastword

Banned
Anybody that doesn't have microsoft flight simulator on n1 is just kidding themselves.
Flight Sim is allright, they are using photogrammetry, but things fall apart in many scenarios in-game.....Flight sim is not very consistent when you are up in the air in realtime. Sure the promotional videos are nice, but in-game it's no where as nice as the promo trailers MS showed...

The texture work and LOD falls apart in many scenarios as you are flying your plane, cockpits are not the best I've seen. I also happen to feel some of the physics of the plane is way too floaty and janky, it does not look real....

The LOD issues, soupy foregrounds just a few meters from the plane is way too jarring, the physics too floaty. The textures are definitely not A-1 and wildly inconsistent or low rez... The cockpit is not as detailed as you would expect for such a game in 2020, looks too gamey and digital inside the cockpit, Inside the cockpit definitely looks polygonal and does not exude the level of realism you expect. ATD is missing quite a bit in the cockpit.

It has it's times with some vistas, becaause it's based on reality with photogrammetry, but I think it's way too inconsistent to make these lists farless win best graphics...

--------------------------------------------
I personally would love to see an Ace Combat for next gen, now that's a game where you can praise the visuals, especially if a new one is built from ground up for next gen and high end PC....This is the last gen version of Ace Combat 7...Much more impressive imo...

thelastword

Banned
Me: "WTF is Gaming Bolt?"

Just another site giving it's opinion on games like the many others. Their team takes a vote on all their lists and they have no particular leaning towards any company that I can remember, they dish it to XBOX and PS in equal measure, but best visuals is best visuals, so they won't front on that.

Don't forget how good the gore looked too. One of the few M rated games that makes you a bit squeamish when ya kill someone.

In terms of pure model quality, I’d say demons souls wins. That boss with the oil coming out of its mouth, the fluid specifically didn’t look good, but mostly it’s top notch work from bluepoint.

Guys are very technically skilled, I mean getting sotc to 60fps on ps4 pro? That was amazing.

Last edited:
Top Bottom