• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gaming as I knew it is dying

Roxkis_ii

Triggered much, don’t get mad
It's something about Sony making mature games that really rubs you the wrong way, and you know what? That's okay. PlayStation derangement syndrome can easily be remedied.

Ps4's are cheaper then they have ever been.

SinDelta

It may seem that way at times OP, but there are a lot of games of different genres to look forward to if you know where to look.

Age of Empires IV
Ace Attorney The Great Detective
Advance Wars 1+2 Re-Boot Camp
Breath of the Wild 2
The Callisto Protocol
Elden Ring
Forza Horizon V
Fable
Final Fantasy XVI
Forspoken
Ghost of Tushima 2
God of War 2 Ragnarok
Horizon Forbidden West
Halo Infinite
Hellblade 2
Humankind
Hogwarts Legacy
Indiana Jones
James Bond
Jedi Fallen Order 2
Monster Hunter Stories 2 Wings of Ruin
Metroid Dread
Metal Slug Tactics
Mario + Rabbids Sparks of Light
Mario Golf Super Rush
Perfect Dark
Pokemon Brilliant Diamond & Shining Pearl
Pokémon Legends: Arceus
No More Heroes 3
NEO The World Ends With You
Star Field
Shin megami tensei V
Total Warhammer III

Danjin44 Danjin44 And you just know Vanillaware has something in store.

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Danjin44 Danjin44 And you just know Vanillaware has something in store.
tenor.gif

Spaceman292

Banned
Couple of background details: I have been gaming since 1993, been out of the hobby for some years in the 00's. Had a NES, SNES, PS1, PS2, Gaming PCs, Nintendo Wii so I have played (just like most of you) a ton of games through the years. I try to always be optimistic about the hobby, didn't say anything about last year gaming shows, but this... this is already a recurring theme and it has nothing to do with the pandemic.

Maybe the gaming industry is slowly pushing us folks in our 30s away from it? I am seeing game reveal after game reveal, and barring a few exceptions it seems like the games I am seeing do not target me at all. When I was a teenager I always expected this industry to progress, better graphics, more immersive worlds, better gameplay, better stories. But now I am seeing that we are going on the opposite direction.

I know that there are quite a few games to look forward to: Avowed, TES VI, Halo Infinite, Starfield, FH5, BoTW2, Prime 4, Bayo 3, Horizon 2, God of War Ragnarok, GT7, Elden Ring and more. But other than first party devs and a few select third parties, it seems that no one tries to create campaign based single player games anymore. There are also genres that are not being catered at all, survival horror, car combat, arcade racing, inmersive sims, character action games and more, genres that were the cornerstone of gaming in past generations.

Seeing how Arkane had to restort to co op trash because Prey and Dishonored 2 didn't set the world on fire is so dissapointing. Maybe their first game after MS acquisition will be a return to form. Also what's about games being so colourful and having that horrendous Fortnitey artstyle? The Pimkin/Animal Crossing Great Value editions? And don't get me started on the eternal hard on indie devs have for 8bit styled games. Also if a game looks like a proper modern 3D game, chances are its Co Op or MMO... Maybe the backlash against games of the sixth/seventh gen, the grey/brown era was too overblown.

Honestly if most indie devs keep resorting to 8bit or 16 bit throwback games, they have no chance competing against a Retropie or a chinese handheld with Retroarch on it.

Where are the indie devs trying to top Silent Hill, Fatal Frame, Project Gotham Racing, Vagrant Story, Legacy of Kain, SF Alpha III, Twisted Metal, Slyphon Filter, Devil May Cry and many more?

Sorry for the long rant but I had to get this off my chest. Maybe someone in their teens can weigh in to put some perspective? Are single player story based games not popular anymore unless they have best in class production values?
If there was a microsoft word template for a Neogaf post, this is what it would look like.

zeorhymer

It's like anything that you loved during childhood. You grow up, you no longer enjoy your hobby, you find a new hobby.

NinjaBoiX

I agree the artstyle of Arkanes new game is a let down. Sick of all the goofy Fortnight art styles.
Truth.

I’m playing Prey at the moment and man, the art style (mainly the characters) is so gross.

It just looks really rough and shoddy, like placeholder assets.

SinDelta

There have been photos of concept for a fantasy project, a shield and emblem.

Also interviews.

Before 13 Sentinals Released Vanillaware was hiring for a separate project.

Edit - Danjin44 Danjin44

Last edited:

base

Banned
Couple of background details: I have been gaming since 1993, been out of the hobby for some years in the 00's. Had a NES, SNES, PS1, PS2, Gaming PCs, Nintendo Wii so I have played (just like most of you) a ton of games through the years. I try to always be optimistic about the hobby, didn't say anything about last year gaming shows, but this... this is already a recurring theme and it has nothing to do with the pandemic.

Maybe the gaming industry is slowly pushing us folks in our 30s away from it? I am seeing game reveal after game reveal, and barring a few exceptions it seems like the games I am seeing do not target me at all. When I was a teenager I always expected this industry to progress, better graphics, more immersive worlds, better gameplay, better stories. But now I am seeing that we are going on the opposite direction.

I know that there are quite a few games to look forward to: Avowed, TES VI, Halo Infinite, Starfield, FH5, BoTW2, Prime 4, Bayo 3, Horizon 2, God of War Ragnarok, GT7, Elden Ring and more. But other than first party devs and a few select third parties, it seems that no one tries to create campaign based single player games anymore. There are also genres that are not being catered at all, survival horror, car combat, arcade racing, inmersive sims, character action games and more, genres that were the cornerstone of gaming in past generations.

Seeing how Arkane had to restort to co op trash because Prey and Dishonored 2 didn't set the world on fire is so dissapointing. Maybe their first game after MS acquisition will be a return to form. Also what's about games being so colourful and having that horrendous Fortnitey artstyle? The Pimkin/Animal Crossing Great Value editions? And don't get me started on the eternal hard on indie devs have for 8bit styled games. Also if a game looks like a proper modern 3D game, chances are its Co Op or MMO... Maybe the backlash against games of the sixth/seventh gen, the grey/brown era was too overblown.

Honestly if most indie devs keep resorting to 8bit or 16 bit throwback games, they have no chance competing against a Retropie or a chinese handheld with Retroarch on it.

Where are the indie devs trying to top Silent Hill, Fatal Frame, Project Gotham Racing, Vagrant Story, Legacy of Kain, SF Alpha III, Twisted Metal, Slyphon Filter, Devil May Cry and many more?

Sorry for the long rant but I had to get this off my chest. Maybe someone in their teens can weigh in to put some perspective? Are single player story based games not popular anymore unless they have best in class production values?
We're just getting old.

I'll be 40 next month and i think videogames are better then ever! It's my passion , my only problem with gaming is i don't have enough time to play, stupid fucking slaving as to be done to afford more games that i won't have time to play.

I'm probably in the same age group as OP and while most AAA games don't appeal to me, I'm still having fun with stuff like Knockout City, Chivalry 2, Yakuza etc in addition to indies. There's still a shitload of variety, you just have to do a little digging to find something that appeals to you.

If you don't make an effort to find creative stuff to at least try, then this argument is just as annoying as "Music sucks now!" when all someone exposes themselves to is whatever's on TV shows/top 40 playlists.

kyussman

The current gaming trends towards live service,shared world co-op and multiplayer battle royale certainly aren't to my tastes.....but there are still enough single player games around to keep my interest in gaming.I'm sure I will probably buy less games this gen than in previous ones because of these trends but hey,I'll just think of the money I've saved,lol.

ACESHIGH

Banned
Hey guys thanks for your replies, even if we may have different opinions on the matter. Just wanted to clarify that I am stil enjoying gaming a lot. Playing games across all eras. But I believe that there's something missing: The void left by a giant like Konami could not be filled in by any indie dev. Same for a lot of AA studios lost in the transition to HD gaming. Ubisoft/EA have a lot of dormant IPs they choose to release generic multiplayer shooters. How about updating the ones you have and release some lower budget single player games as well?

Maybe AA studios are in the worst position these days. Most gamers seem to be really critical of games like Elex, Greedfall, Technomancer, Biomutant, Daymare 1998, Dangerous Driving and more. Jank and lack of polish seem to be the common complaint. When measured against the best of the best AAA (because after all, they are modern looking 3D games) these games are put in a position where they cant win.

So many indie devs resort to the tried and true formulas: 8/16 bit metroidvania/ roguelikes/hide and seek simulators/visual novels/survival. Maybe my expectations were overblown: I expected that the indie devs that had a big hit would be able to get more funding and release more ambitious games to become the next generation of mid tier studios. Of course that did not happen.

Its either that or the big publishers allocating funding towards lower budget single player games. I'm sure games like Mirrors Edge, Shadows of the Dammed, or Dead Space must not cost as much as Battlefield to EA. But when GaaS are more profitable than releasing a proper single player game I can't really blame them. That's why I thought it would be interesting to have the opinion of users much younger than I am. Because from their point of view it would be better to spend money on skins/battle passes/in game currency than a brand new single player game.

DaGwaphics

@ A ACESHIGH I feel you in regards to some genres being underrepresented, but if you look around there are still a lot of great titles out there. My biggest gripe today is probably the single player game with 5 minutes of cutscene for every 1 minute of gameplay. They should have stuck to brief scenes setup levels/stages and called it a day! :messenger_beaming:

Now back to previous activities...
Animated GIF

MikeM

Games aren't made for adults anymore, hell they aren't even made for kids.

Today's games are made for purple haired morons and overgrown 30 plus year old neckbeards living at their mom's. If you identify as one of those you will probably love what's on offer.

I guess I missed the memo. I love what's out there and the diversity of options from indies to AAA. There are games for literally everyone's taste. Even how you consume games has options (i.e. buy at retail, online, or play through subs/GamePass).

Last edited:
I guess I missed the memo. I love what's out there and the diversity of options from indies to AAA. There are games for literally everyone's taste. Even how you consume games has options (i.e. buy at retail, online, or play through subs/GamePass).

I rest my case.

This describes what it's about for many of us. Gaming is bigger, better and more diverse than ever. But being close to 40 and gaming since the early 90s we've seen a lot before. Graphics alone isn't enough to impress.

I think this partly goes for new consoles too. I bought the Series X a few weeks ago and for the first time I failed to have that exciting next-gen feeling in my stomach when unboxing and plugging it in. PS5 isn't that exciting either. I'll enjoy my time with both for years to come, but I sort of miss being so excited about new games and hardware.
I get where you're coming from. :messenger_weary:

I'm 35, and most of gaming, period, doesn't surprise me. I have a Series X sitting in my den next to me and have yet to hook it up. This is mostly due to my desire to upgrade my living room television. Still haven't pulled the trigger yet but leaning toward a 55' Samsung QN90A. Anyway, you're right, as pretty as something like ray tracing is, graphics are simply not enough to get me pumped. I want new and interesting experiences on the AAA level. I guess it shouldn't be any real surprise coming from gamers our age, after all, we have seen and played so much already. Pretty normal attitude. I do think some of this attitude may also be related due to tech limitations of last gen consoles. Feels like we've been playing the same AAA games since 2007. PS4/Xbox One games coming out from the AAA studios are honestly just prettier versions of what came out during the 360/PS3 gen.

Again, don't get me wrong, we've gotten some awesome stuff over the years that I've enjoyed. I'm just glad these new systems are so far more capable than the last. Thinking back to PS4/Xbox One, the day they were released, they both had a very weak CPU, okay GPU, decent jump in RAM, but the same slow storage as previous gen. Not much of an upgrade and I believe that held things back. Not this time around. Both companies really pushed their tech, and with all the new tools taking advantage of it, I think we're gonna see some interesting gameplay from the AAA space. It's just gonna take a little bit more time. We've only gotten a taste of it so far. I hope 2022 is a blow out year for these systems.

Mr.Bond

You are just getting older and losing interest, find a different hobby.

I've been playing since 1981 and gaming has never been any better,

Boss Man

Idk, but I felt this way before Demon’s Souls came out in Japan. Maybe you’re just seeing some trends going on right now that you don’t like, they could change. It wasn’t long ago that everyone was complaining about games being too dark and grey.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
There were more variety and companies trying new things in the past for sure… so for these that like different gaming experience it was joy.

Today is more like everybody using the same formula… open world, similar view point, etc etc etc.

Risk investimento is basically a huge no go today for the devs and that is really sad.

We will see a new trend with games going episodic, low quality and GAAS… everything I always hoped to not happen but it is inevitable.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
Imagine being pessimistic on where gaming is headed while this exists.

Movies and TV are @#$%ed.

This is nowhere a good example of where the gaming is headed… if not we are more fucked than I realized.

Star Citizen can be considered a scam.
$400m backers and zero delivery.

Last edited:
We've had so many meltdown threads I've stopped counting.

I almost wish MS buys another big publisher so these types of threads can start back up because honestly it is a form of entertainment watching people twist themselves into pretzels at the happenings in this industry.

Beechos

I can answer some of these from my point of view.

I just turned 40 and im in this demographic thats why i enjoy sony 1st party games so much and love the way ms is going with their ecosystem everything so easy, painless and convient. I dont have the time to spend 100s of hours on a single game and want to enjoy as many games as possible while i can.

1. Working for a big conpany, all these corporations value "engagement" the most nowadays. They want to see people logging in and using their products daily for a long period of time. Not much engagement can be had after an 8-10 hr campaign which for some people can be beaten in a couple days. Plus have you seen the amount of money microtransactions make?

2. Theres a couple of reasons why theres so many of these cartoony/pixel games from my opinion and i agree i dont like the artstyle myself which is why alot of the ms games dont click with me they all have that ms avatar look. First reason is time and money im no artist but ill be a betting man that realistic graphics take a hell of alot more time and resources to create. 2nd reason, hit performance targets how else these companies going to push 4k 60/120 fps.

3. Give some of these inide games a chance. Alot of them are basically throwback games with better graphics and gameplay. But yeah i wish there were more realistice games with mature themes and situations. At the end of the day its all about money like the movie industry make pg batman for everyone to see or a r rated batman for a limited audience, which will have a better chance to make more money? We need like a tarantino of video games who doesnt give a shit lol.

I am 10 years older than you and don’t agree with anything you wrote. I’ve been gaming since the Atari 2600 in 1979.

There are still more playable games coming out than I can possibly play. I rarely buy brand new games and still have a backlog. I currently play on PS3/4/5 and PC.

The industry in general is far more mainstream, yes, but there are still the types of games you love out there. My favourites seem to be the same as you: solo narrative experiences. There are still so many out there, and I don’t even touch indie games.

ByWatterson

Been playing since OG Gameboy in 1989.

OP's take is one I find to be nearly objectively false. Games are better, more varied, more numerous, cheaper, and more innovative than at any point. This includes single-player campaigns, which often border on masterpiece-level art from certain developers. AAA is churning out incredible narratives. AA is thriving with a newly revived Japanese scene. Indies main problem is that there are TOO many.

Like, we're living in a time when THREE people can make freaking HOLLOW KNIGHT.

Come on.

Last edited:

Rayderism

I've been gaming since 1974 (PONG) and while you can talk about graphics and polygons and whatnot, they have only really changed once consoles started being widely online. For me, that would be the PS3 onward.

Prior to PS3, you didn't really have firmware updates, patches, DLC, lootboxes and other shady microtransactions. Now, with PS5, you even have firmware updates on the freaking controller.

Whether any of these things are better or worse is highly subjective and depends on what particular aspects you look at for discussion.

Last edited:

anthraticus

Banned
The mainstream/AAA scene especially, targets the younger gens, so naturally this stuff isn't gonna be appealing to us 40 year olds say...unless you're just a complete popamoler, normie, ect..

Jaybe

Hey guys thanks for your replies, even if we may have different opinions on the matter. Just wanted to clarify that I am stil enjoying gaming a lot. Playing games across all eras. But I believe that there's something missing: The void left by a giant like Konami could not be filled in by any indie dev. Same for a lot of AA studios lost in the transition to HD gaming. Ubisoft/EA have a lot of dormant IPs they choose to release generic multiplayer shooters. How about updating the ones you have and release some lower budget single player games as well?

Maybe AA studios are in the worst position these days. Most gamers seem to be really critical of games like Elex, Greedfall, Technomancer, Biomutant, Daymare 1998, Dangerous Driving and more. Jank and lack of polish seem to be the common complaint. When measured against the best of the best AAA (because after all, they are modern looking 3D games) these games are put in a position where they cant win.

So many indie devs resort to the tried and true formulas: 8/16 bit metroidvania/ roguelikes/hide and seek simulators/visual novels/survival. Maybe my expectations were overblown: I expected that the indie devs that had a big hit would be able to get more funding and release more ambitious games to become the next generation of mid tier studios. Of course that did not happen.

Its either that or the big publishers allocating funding towards lower budget single player games. I'm sure games like Mirrors Edge, Shadows of the Dammed, or Dead Space must not cost as much as Battlefield to EA. But when GaaS are more profitable than releasing a proper single player game I can't really blame them. That's why I thought it would be interesting to have the opinion of users much younger than I am. Because from their point of view it would be better to spend money on skins/battle passes/in game currency than a brand new single player game.

I think it’s like most economies, it’s the 80/20 rule or more like 90/10 rule. Only so much of the cream of the crop is going to be released in a year. Just ignore the AAA regurgitated trash. The market seems to be doing that, BF2042 bombing, Far Cry 6, etc.

Chase out and play the best of the best. I’d personally recommend Hades if you haven’t yet played it. You talk of wanting small studios getting more ambitious, how about Returnal? There are puzzle games that are innovative. I haven’t played Inscrytion but hear good things. Tried Outer Wilds? It’s DLC? Psychonauts 2?

I’m not a fan either of the general AAA big company trends but it helps to become a connoisseur or quality, and ignore the masses. There is still plenty to play with this mindset.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
This is nowhere a good example of where the gaming is headed… if not we are more fucked than I realized.

Star Citizen can be considered a scam.
$400m backers and zero delivery.

I'm not necessarily talking about Star Citizen, more the direction we're headed. Being able to play a Star Wars/Star Trek simulation where very little is scripted and the player can choose what role they play...my God. We can almost touch it.
If it's not Star Citizen, it'll be another big developer sooner rather than later.

Nico_D

Huh? I've been playing since early 1982 (I think) and there's more to play than ever. There's a lot more rubbish and mediocrity but there's a lot more great games, just gotta dig deeper.

bender

What time is it?
Huh? I've been playing since early 1982 (I think) and there's more to play than ever. There's a lot more rubbish and mediocrity but there's a lot more great games, just gotta dig deeper.

We are about the same age I'd wager. I disagree about there being more rubbish though. I think the average quality of games has gone. Most everything is average-to-good these days. I just think there are fewer standout games. Couple that with games taking so long and being so expensive to make, development studios are far more risk averse. We've always seen trend chasing in gaming but Everything feels even more homogenized. The indie scene also tends to follow the same waves with rogue-lites being the current flavor of the month. Based on volume alone, I do agree that there is always something new and entertaining to play though.

Me not liking where the industry is heading != the industry is imploding

I don't like it either, but I have to deal with it. I pick what I like and ignore the rest. Meanwhile hoarding retro games like an idiot. I think I'm good.

rofif

Banned
We are about the same age I'd wager. I disagree about there being more rubbish though. I think the average quality of games has gone. Most everything is average-to-good these days. I just think there are fewer standout games. Couple that with games taking so long and being so expensive to make, development studios are far more risk averse. We've always seen trend chasing in gaming but Everything feels even more homogenized. The indie scene also tends to follow the same waves with rogue-lites being the current flavor of the month. Based on volume alone, I do agree that there is always something new and entertaining to play though.
No such thing as average quality.
You you really took that, you would know 500 games came out on steam this year already and most are this fake crap.
When it comes to real AA and AAA games, I am noticing a lot less creativity. Big budgets, consolidation and gaas truly are limiting creators

bender

What time is it?
No such thing as average quality.
You you really took that, you would know 500 games came out on steam this year already and most are this fake crap.
When it comes to real AA and AAA games, I am noticing a lot less creativity. Big budgets, consolidation and gaas truly are limiting creators

Sure there is. If you want to use the IGN scale, most things fall in the 6-8 range and there are far fewer atrocities against mankind. I don't really consider the dozen upon dozen of asset flips scams that infect every storefront games.

TheSHEEEP

Gold Member
The mainstream of gaming has changed.
I am no longer in touch with it - and honestly, I love it that way. I don't care in the slightest what happens in the mainstream - indies and small/medium sized devs are plentiful in my niche(s).

Even classics are being revived or classic formulas rediscovered by new devs (just check out Ion Fury and many others, blowing boring BS military shooters out of the water).
Gaming is in a better state than ever before.

Top Bottom