• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GameStop to shut some 320 stores in 2020

Mista

Banned
gamestop-1-768x512.jpg

US retailer GameStop intends to close some 320 stores this fiscal year as part of ongoing restructuring efforts.

The company shut 321 outlets in its last fiscal year ended February 1, 2020, and expects to close a similar amount during the current business year.

GameStop executive vice president and chief financial officer Jim Bell:
In fiscal 2020, we will continue in our efforts to de-densify our store base, focused on maximising product productivity of the entire fleet. We anticipate store closures to be equal to or more than 320 net closures we saw in fiscal 2019 on a global basis. We want to emphasize that these store closures are a very specific and proactive part of our de-densification plan and they are not related to recent business trends.
GameStop currently operates over 5,500 stores across 14 countries.

Ailike

Such a shitty move
But at least the workers would get more money on unemployment than working at gamestop
How is it shitty? -Literally- everyone here says its a shit company and no one can believe there are still any stores at all. Even so, if it isn't making money its not a charity that should stay open just to pay 2 chuckleheads minimum wage when theres a perfectly good Subway next door.

TwoDurans

"Never said I wasn't a hypocrite."
I don't see gamestop staying open for too much longer. The current pandemic has turned a lot of people towards digital, and I've seen never-digis on this very board say they've become converts. Between those and Amazon Gamestop might not live to see 2021.

Piku_Ringo

Banned
How is it shitty? -Literally- everyone here says its a shit company and no one can believe there are still any stores at all. Even so, if it isn't making money its not a charity that should stay open just to pay 2 chuckleheads minimum wage when theres a perfectly good Subway next door.
The gamestop i use to visit actually had a Quiznoes next door which, eventually close down only to became a Chinese resturant i believe. :messenger_grimmacing_ But there is a walmart across the street in the same shopping plaza as that gamestop, that just so happens to have a subway inside.:messenger_smiling_with_eyes:

Enigmagamer

Neo Member
There is a need for Gamestop just not in this current form. Gamestop does alot of little thing right but there overlooked by, horrible customer service, no product knowledge and ripping people off on new games giving them 20 buck.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
There is a need for Gamestop just not in this current form. Gamestop does alot of little thing right but there overlooked by, horrible customer service, no product knowledge and ripping people off on new games giving them 20 buck.
More like $8 bucks. They’ll give you $8 for stuff that sells for $30+ on eBay. Then they’ll gloat about their promotions and how fast they memorized their pre-order catalogue.

I use to care. I always felt like it was a cool place to work. I worked for them for a year and never looked back. I just don’t like their attitude about the game industry. They sell whatever product at any cost. They threw away/smashed classic games only to sell them later as “Classics”.

I don’t honestly care if they go under or not.

Max_Po

Banned
Sad to see so many people loose thier job.

I feel sorry for poeple who shit on GameSpot.... when you are desperate you pass your resume to any-and everyone... especially if you have dependents.

Enigmagamer

Neo Member
More like $8 bucks. They’ll give you $8 for stuff that sells for $30+ on eBay. Then they’ll gloat about their promotions and how fast they memorized their pre-order catalogue.

I use to care. I always felt like it was a cool place to work. I worked for them for a year and never looked back. I just don’t like their attitude about the game industry. They sell whatever product at any cost. They threw away/smashed classic games only to sell them later as “Classics”.

I agree with alot of the stuff you said. But trading stuff in at best buy and if Walmart still does it their just feels weird and their just as brainless as gamestop, only different you get gift cards from best buy.

sublimit

Banned
I don't know or care why so many people hate Gamestop but it will always make me sad when i hear about a retailer closing its business. Both because of the people who will loose their jobs and also because i will always prefer physical over digital.

I hope they find a way to stay around.

Matsuchezz

Where does everyone buy their gaming goods, best buy or is there any other major videogame retailer in the US? just wondering

Enigmagamer

Neo Member
I love the store we have locally...the people are always so nice. I hope their store makes it. :messenger_confused:
That's how I feel I live in Maryland and there alot of gamestops but I only go to 2 because of there Customer Service, but also I went digital on my PS4 pro and Xbox one x but the kids still enjoy it and it works out cause kids want new games all the time I would hate to play full price for all my kids video games lol

Enigmagamer

Neo Member
Where does everyone buy their gaming goods, best buy or is there any other major videogame retailer in the US? just wondering
Most of the time since I went digital if I had games i know longer want i still go to gamestop, or Best Buy , its no other place where I live

I know it is a common complaint, but I stopped going to GameStop for preorders when almost every one of my "niche" preorders was opened when I got it, someone with a damn sticker slapped on the plastic cover (or, even worse, the cardboard slipcover or box).

IIRC the last game I preordered there was SMTIV, and it got that treatment. And that was a long-ass time ago.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
You guys have to be crazy gamblers to leave your $800 with this company, if I were you I would go down there ASAP and buy some switches or xbox one x's to sell on kijiji. At least you will for sure get most of your money back......

Yea but with the exception of Switch games, is it even worth paying out money considering how quickly games drop in price these days.

RE2 was considered GOTY by many publications and it price dropped pretty damn quick really. If you pay too much for a used game you just end up with a bunch of inventory you overpaid for when it price drops.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
Sometimes, I think the above has more to do with DM's as opposed to the company as a whole. Better the stores do, the better the bonuses are for DM's. You always see issues with a store here and there as opposed to it being directly from the company heads.

Closing 320 stores isn't a big deal when you have 5500 stores. It's literally only 6%. Not a big deal at all and to be perfectly honest, they SHOULD be closing all the stores that are at the very least not breaking even.

I have almost $900 in trade in credit so I definitely want them to stay in business not just for the next gen consoles launches but also in general. People always complain that their trade in values are bad but yet, Best Buy and Amazon are worse. Also, getting even $8 for a disc game is better than the nothing you would get if you bought it digitally and regret the purchase.

For new games, I normally get $33 in trade in credit on a $60 game which is fine by me. Paying $27 for a brand new release day one is perfectly fine in my opinion.

_Ex_

Sympathy for those who lost jobs due to this. But honestly I cheer every time there's one less of these shit stains in the world.

GameStop was going down the drain... like BestBuy a couple of years ago... Last few times I went it these places looked so sad, I couldn't stand it.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I agree with alot of the stuff you said. But trading stuff in at best buy and if Walmart still does it their just feels weird and their just as brainless as gamestop, only different you get gift cards from best buy.
I’ve not traded anything at either of those places, but I’ve definitely shopped there over the years. I honestly don’t think selling games outside of Facebook or eBay is a wise decision. You will never get a value for what you paid for or for what the game is even worth. This is especially true on new and rare games. I got $45 for DOA6 off Facebook. That’s unheard of if you were to go to any major retailer, particularly GameStop. No one should short themselves that much. You could walk inside Walmart at 3 AM and buy that new game. Trade ins at retail stores really take the buyer and turn him into a sucker. I’ve felt like I was impatient for money or another game. It definitely feels weird. The cashier doesn’t care that they’re basically ripping you off for your games.
Yea but with the exception of Switch games, is it even worth paying out money considering how quickly games drop in price these days.

RE2 was considered GOTY by many publications and it price dropped pretty damn quick really. If you pay too much for a used game you just end up with a bunch of inventory you overpaid for when it price drops.

Oh yeah Switch game credit is always
higher, especially Nintendo first party games. I think the same thing with retro Nintendo games. Mario and Zelda are hot items at local game stores, so they’re willing to pay more for them. Yet they don’t give you the honest value for games that would sell for a lot more in a private sale on Facebook or eBay. It makes me not want to go to a game store, just shop online. It’s cheaper finding Switch games online too.

Blond

Banned

Don't get me wrong but something like GameStop will open more doors for someone than Subway if they chose to do something with it.

Fox Mulder

GameStop doesn’t need so many locations. Google shows I have 6 in a 4 miles radius.

They could have got ahead of physical media dying years ago, but it’s likely too late now to make the kind of changes needed to hang around.

Quasicat

I think we’re going to see a lot of places that were barely hanging on before just not reopen after all this has ended.

The mall near me was already falling apart after SEARS left and I know it was usually empty before the essential business decree. The Red Lobster there has a sign that went up in the past week saying they just permanently closed that location. The GameStop here is rarely ever busy and I just know it won’t be long before it’s gone.

Top Bottom