• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GameStop is closing hundreds more stores

Here in Australia, EbGames (owned by GameStop) is a good option for new games.
LOL
the only thing good about them is their trade in deals on the new consoles as you get about 40% more trade in value and dont have to deal with scumtree / ebay scammers or facebook marketplace trying to lowball you
JB Hi fi is a much better option and Amazon will be once auspost gets their shit in order

LOL
the only thing good about them is their trade in deals on the new consoles as you get about 40% more trade in value and dont have to deal with scumtree / ebay scammers or facebook marketplace trying to lowball you
JB Hi fi is a much better option and Amazon will be once auspost gets their shit in order
You’re forgetting that EB price match so it’s the same price as JB. On top of that, you have the 7 day return policy.

You’re forgetting that EB price match so it’s the same price as JB. On top of that, you have the 7 day return policy.
yeah they pricematch...but they should not need to
a large part of their business model is ripping off people who are unaware games are 20-30 bucks cheaper elsewhere

the return policy is probably their only grace i would say....i used to use it like a rental service many years ago

JayK47

I just picked up a Switch and decided to go to Gamestop to see if they had anything decent. They had maybe 2 dozen used Switch games and some new ones. Several shelves were just empty. Maybe making room for next gen? It was disappointing and they look like they have one foot in the grave.

yeah they pricematch...but they should not need to
a large part of their business model is ripping off people who are unaware games are 20-30 bucks cheaper elsewhere

the return policy is probably their only grace i would say....i used to use it like a rental service many years ago
So, your issue is that they charge RRP for their games even though you can get the price down? Is that your definition of rip off?
It’s not as high on the scumbaggery scale as someone abusing a return policy. I mean rental implies that you paid any sum of money.

Last edited:

Sorcerer

I just picked up a Switch and decided to go to Gamestop to see if they had anything decent. They had maybe 2 dozen used Switch games and some new ones. Several shelves were just empty. Maybe making room for next gen? It was disappointing and they look like they have one foot in the grave.
I went to Best Buy a few weeks ago and the same thing. 3rd party accessories and even most first party controllers were nowhere to be seen. Just getting ready for the new consoles I would imagine.

Cato

Banned

Yeah. Last time I was at Fry's it looked like they were making room for next gen too. That was quite a while ago.

Karmic Raze

I never go to my local GameStop. About the only time is if I need something like a controller ASAP, but during the pandemic they haven’t had shit in stock so they’re useless to me.

Rubik8

GameStop’s prices are too high. I can often get a new game elsewhere for less than GS’s used price. They don’t respect their inventory. It’s difficult to get a used game with original box, and if you do it’s ruined by their stupid stickers. The shopping experience is poor, because they are constantly pestering you to preorder or trade things in. I won’t miss them when they are gone.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
GameStop’s prices are too high. I can often get a new game elsewhere for less than GS’s used price. They don’t respect their inventory. It’s difficult to get a used game with original box, and if you do it’s ruined by their stupid stickers. The shopping experience is poor, because they are constantly pestering you to preorder or trade things in. I won’t miss them when they are gone.

I second this. Before the whole franchise pulled out in Scandinavia there were times amiibos were 30 percent more expensive than every other retailer.

And then there's times when you could get an amiboo for 50 cent. Like wtf why not use the middle price everyone else uses instead of selling something with such a big loss.

Also, I bought like 100 games that they otherwise would throw out for like 10 dollars because they just have to clear the shelves (it was long before the closing deals.

Top Bottom