• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gamesradar's review of ''Destroy All Humans!'' : 8 / 10

For the complete review of DAH (Xbox), visit Gamesradar

1) Summary

An original take on the shooting game and a subversive take on US paranoia executed with character and style. Destroy All Humans is hard not to enjoy.

8/10

2) Review excerpts

Playing as Crypto, a psychopathic alien with contempt for all mankind ("pea-brained scum!") who's ordered about by the more strategically minded but no less disdainful Pox, your mission is threefold: Find out what happened to a comrade who crashed at 'Rockwell', harvest the DNA and then wreak contemptuous revenge on the pathetic humanoids.

DAH starts out as it means to go on, with a hilarious tutorial involving cow-tossing, extracting farmhand brains and using your flying saucer to burst buildings.

Missions make use of a wide range of these extra-terrestrial abilities...Missions revolve around recovering bits of ships, impersonating and controlling increasingly influential specimens of the human hierarchy and flat-out destruction...

...Letting you loose in the saucer is awesome. In addition to the death ray, you have a couple of wide-spread missile attacks and an 'abductor beam' with which you can pick up vehicles and throw them about.

Buildings crumble beautifully while you weave about the sky avoiding anti-aircraft guns and vicious robots...

...For all the charm here there's no escaping the fact that it's basically a shooter with stealth and mind-control elements.

The admittedly cracking plot-driven action makes up only a very short part of this game and DAH does provide enormous levels to explore outside of the main storyline but it doesn't really offer enough to fully compensate for the Campaign mode's brevity.

If you're going to go all out, explore every nook and cranny and complete all the side-missions then the lifespan will increase dramatically. But what makes DAH great is the biting wit and OTT action.

It's another very strong title from Pandemic and well worth a play. Believe it.

sammy

Got my Xbox pre-order in today --- got the ps2 demo-disk ... this game is very nicelooking for a free-roaming GTA style.

the voices and dialogue were nicely done - can't wait : P

etiolate

Banned
I was just about to ask if there's been any new impressions of this game. I saw the demo on a Xbox unit, but didn't have time to try it. I ilke what I see except the mention of stealth parts.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
I played the demo on the X-Box yesterday, looks really good. Not 100% sure how long it the fun will last in the game though. I didn't see the hint of an overriding story in the demo.

Odnetnin

Banned
...For all the charm here there's no escaping the fact that it's basically a shooter with stealth and mind-control elements.

is it a FPS? I hope not. I was/am VERY keen on this game.

/cries

spangler

Picked the game up (xbox version) today. Seems pretty good so far but nothing particularly special. It seems to be divided into fairly small levels that contain story missions as well as (somewhat boring) side missions after the story portion is complete. I'm not certain, but it seems rather short. I like Pandemic quite a bit, but this may not be their strongest work. Definitely worth a rental at least, though.

*Not an FPS, but a third-person shooter. The UFO stuff takes a sort-of overhead perspective but still certainly not first-person.

Tain

is it a FPS? I hope not. I was/am VERY keen on this game.

What would be wrong with that? I found the GTA games pretty much unplayable until they adopted the FPS-style control scheme in the PC ports.

raYne

Tain said:
What would be wrong with that? I found the GTA games pretty much unplayable until they adopted the FPS-style control scheme in the PC ports.
Third person games with FPS contols are not the same as actual FPS games.. :p Anyway, it's a 3rd person shooter for the misinformed.

I can't wait to pic up this and Conker this week. :D

Top Bottom