• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GamesRadar says PT will be playable on PS5, then says it won't, but maybe it will be?

kingpotato

Ask me about my Stream Deck
Disclaimer: Don't even click on these trash articles, they were based solely on speculation.

From Oct 12
Hideo Kojima's PT will make the jump from PS4 to PS5 through backwards compatibility, meaning it's safe for another console generation. The news was first noted over the weekend by Eurogamer. The backwards compatibility feature of the PS5 means that the incredibly rare PT can be successfully transferred over to the PS5, meaning it's not going to be trapped on the old hardware ... Last week, Sony announced that all but 11 PS4 games would be playable on the PS5 through backwards compatibility.

From Oct 19
PT will not be backwards compatible on the PS5, Konami has confirmed to GamesRadar. In an email sent to us earlier today, Konami said that "the content will not be available on the PS Store, so users won’t be able to re-download the content through the backwards compatibility feature to the PS5."

Forums however are the perfect place for speculation so let's take a look at what Sony actually said about transferring data.

How do PS4 game transfers and game saves work between the two consoles?
You can transfer digital games, game data, and game saves from a PS4 console to a PS5 console using LAN cables, or by connecting wirelessly (WiFi). If you’ve already stored PS4 games and game data in the external USB storage device connected to your PS4, you can bring them over to PS5 with that external USB storage device. And if you are a PS Plus member, you can also sync PS4 game saves on PS5 through cloud storage.

Based on this description and how transferring from PS4 to PS4Pro worked, I'm guessing you actually still could transfer P.T. to your PS5. The real question is if the console requires some online validation of the the content before attempting to start it in PS4 emulation. P.T. worked fine on the Pro with boost mode enabled so I'm really still holding out hope that I can not only transfer the game to my new console, but continue to play and share it with others.

correofake333

Neo Member
I recall seeing the article in this or another forum and instantly called bullshit, specially considering that the BC info that Sony provided had a specific disclamer stating that playable demos were not included among the 99% guaranteed functional PS4 games.

Fucking stupid press, they provide no better info than anyone of us could.

Last edited:

yurinka

"the content will not be available on the PS Store, so users won’t be able to re-download the content through the backwards compatibility feature to the PS5."

I think this means you won't be able to download it from the store, but maybe if you have it in your PS4 you can transfer it to your PS5 via wifi or external storage.

I recall seeing the article in this or another forum and instantly called bullshit, specially considering that the BC info that Sony provided had a specific disclamer stating that playable demos were not included among the 99% guaranteed functional PS4 games.
In this case I wonder if Sony simply whitelisted games compatible for PS5 BC and blacklisted demos and so on, or if demos may be compatible but they simply didn't verify if work or not and won't allow to transfer it via the Store but maybe if you transfer them via wifi or external storage it works.

Last edited:

kingpotato

Crazy how people love this demo so much.
P.layable T.easer
tenor.gif

kingpotato

"the content will not be available on the PS Store, so users won’t be able to re-download the content through the backwards compatibility feature to the PS5."

I think this means you won't be able to download it from the store, but maybe if you have it in your PS4 you can transfer it to your PS5 via wifi or external storage.

In this case I wonder if Sony simply whitelisted games compatible for PS5 BC and blacklisted demos and so on, or if demos may be compatible but they simply didn't verify if work or not and won't allow to transfer it via the Store but maybe if you transfer them via wifi or external storage it works.
Yeah on PS4Pro, you could literally transfer over a LAN cable and they said that will work for ps5 in the article I linked from their blog. In my mind the only way it wouldn't work is if the content needs to be validated online first. Less than a month to go before I find out first hand I guess.

A.Romero

Well, it would be nice if only to keep it in both consoles in case one of the craps out but other than that I think there is no point. There are very competent copies in PC.

I don't think it will work. I don't see Sony not validating game's licenses after transfer. One thing is nobody cares enough to block it on PS4 and a completely different thing is to actually enable it to work.

Traxtech

Will work fine if you transfer it, but you can't download it directly from psn.

Just like the ps4 you'll most likely be able to direct connect to a server that has it via a pc and download it that way, probably be in the first week of release too given the love to this game

Yoboman

Seems like it should work?

I dont think there be an online license check? Though maybe as it was a PSN game there might be

kingpotato

Seems like it should work?

I dont think there be an online license check? Though maybe as it was a PSN game there might be
This is my worry. However I'm guessing if the system (ps5) knows the other is legit (ps4) maybe it will just trust everything is good to go and will only look at the digital rights on the package instead of needing any online authentication. I'm not sure how any of that digital rights management works in the ps ecosystem, but since the content was pulled long before the pro came out I feel like this is how it worked porting to pro.

kingpotato

It's just a glorified walking simulator

Seriously people, move on from this thing. It wasn't revolutionary back then, it was just overhyped, just like everything Kojimbo touches.
Wow you really opened my eyes. Definitely appreciate your well thought out contribution here. You really make compelling points that I'm sure will convince a lot of people who are on the fence. Definitely not going to block you immediately after I respond.

Yoboman

This is my worry. However I'm guessing if the system (ps5) knows the other is legit (ps4) maybe it will just trust everything is good to go and will only look at the digital rights on the package instead of needing any online authentication. I'm not sure how any of that digital rights management works in the ps ecosystem, but since the content was pulled long before the pro came out I feel like this is how it worked porting to pro.
Well you can share PS4 games to as many consoles as possible, so I imagine its just a matter of checking into your account for digital games and putting in the disc for disc games

It wouldn't bother me if P.T. wasn't playable on PS5. I have P.T. sitting on PS4 and haven't played in a couple years. I thought about deleting the demo a few times but just couldn't pull the trigger. Maybe I'll save it for my future kids and they can see how I obsessed over a demo.

MastaKiiLA

Wow you really opened my eyes. Definitely appreciate your well thought out contribution here. You really make compelling points that I'm sure will convince a lot of people who are on the fence. Definitely not going to block you immediately after I respond.
He's not wrong. The demo was definitely cool the first 24 hours or so. Checking forums to figure out how to actually open some doors. The atmosphere being genuinely creepy. A nice fright the first time. However, it's incredibly short, and incredibly limited. Years later, the appeal makes little to no sense. The obsession is bordering on unhealthy. They should either make the demo a permanent fixture in the store, or make it unplayable on the PS5. Let the legend die already.

Top Bottom