• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GamesRadar "Japanese players are begging for Final Fantasy 16 on Steam after the PS5 price hike"

Three

You'd be surprised how many people hold onto buying a console until x game comes out, I've done that myself for both PS4 and 360. SX is the only console I've bought in launch window.

I can see people who wanted a PS5 specifically with FFXVI being a little peeved that they have to pay 20% more for the console now and/or have to wait an uncertain amount of months before it comes to PC.
What you're saying doesn't make sense though. If they held out on getting a PS5 due to this game and as you said "already had a PC" they would have been asking for a PC version to not spend $420 or whatever it was. Why are they asking for a PC vers now that it's $30 more? If you had a PC already you would be asking to save $420. Not now to save $30.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
the fuck are you talking about

Just my humble pie opinion but nothing they've shown of 16 seems any better than HFW or Ragnarok and those games are comfortably cross-gen. HFW especially was very well optimized on PS4 and actually ran better than the original to my recollection.

What you're saying doesn't make sense though. If they held out on getting a PS5 due to this game and as you said "already had a PC" they would have been asking for a PC version to not spend $420 or whatever it was. Why are they asking for a PC vers now that it's $30 more? If you had a PC already you would be asking to save $420. Not now to save $30.

I bet they would have, but Square has not put out an official date on if/when and how long after the console version the game will come out on PC. So, if they wanted to play FF16 in the first 6~8 months or whatever time it is, they would have needed to buy a PS5.

If Square had announced a day and date release for the PC version, all those people wouldn't really have anything to complain about.

Last edited:

lachesis

They are still getting cheaper then pretty much rest of the world - when converted to USD... but that 60000 yen pricing, for the folks who didn't see much inflation nor wage increase for past 30 years, would feel quite expensive for the numbers alone.

then the price increase would not bother them at all.
It doesn't, just adds gravitas to the "can you please port FF16 to the same platform we're playing FF15 in?"
Sometimes the poors like to overspend on luxieries not befitting their station in life, like a new Final Fantasy game. We try to tell them its not meant to be but they keep trying to dream.
Kazunori Yamauchi?

Last edited:

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
They are still getting cheaper then pretty much rest of the world - when converted to USD... but that 60000 yen pricing, for the folks who didn't see much inflation nor wage increase for past 30 years, would feel quite expensive for the numbers alone.

Don’t forget the stock constrain is also much more serious in Japan and many parts of the world compared to US. no constant drops on Amazon, stores or PS Direct in Japan. All you can do is pre-order and wait, or fork over several times over the MSRP to scalpers. Or fly to the US to buy it

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
When push comes to shove people don’t care what platform the game is on year after year games get released on other console. I can count on the Wii U to play Majoras mask if the n64 won’t start.

ArtHands

Yes, it is ridiculous.

But you can't get a decent gaming PC for $500ish unless you are prepared to go used. For new closest is the Steam Deck (and new AYAs when they come out), but they aren't comparable spec wise and aren't easy to use on an external display.

Sometimes, people pay more to buy a PC because it can do more, not because of its power.

ClosBSAS

Lol.

The PC gaming scene in Japan is pretty small, and a lot of what you can find readily is on the lower end. Quite pricey as well.

Then again, getting a PS5 has been literally a lottery.

Oh, and the price of Steam Deck in Japan is completely off-putting. So combine that with there not being a big scene for it spread with, it ain't going to be going anywhere noticeable.

The cheapest Steam Deck (64GB) is 59,800 yen. The disc PS5 is around 55,000 yen. The digital version around 44,000. I suppose you're more likely to get a Steam Deck and you could make up a lot with cheaper games. Most Japanese people do not even know about Steam though.
Didnt Elden ring do a lot of the heavy lifting in terms of sales on PC in Japan? It's a small market but getting stronger. We all know that is coming to PC anyways.

Tams

Gold Member
Sometimes, people pay more to buy a PC because it can do more, not because of its power.

I never said they didn't. But most people don't need much more than a browser, email client, and a word processor. And we are talking about gaming here.

Many young people don't even have PCs here other than their smartphones, at least in Japan. They do everything on them. I've even met quite a few who literally do not know how to use a computer. Even using trackpad was alien to some of them.

Didnt Elden ring do a lot of the heavy lifting in terms of sales on PC in Japan? It's a small market but getting stronger. We all know that is coming to PC anyways.

Yeah, but wake me up when a local game/media store, not in a big city, has anything PC related other than used laptops and some gaming headsets.

ArtHands

I never said they didn't. But most people don't need much more than a browser, email client, and a word processor. And we are talking about gaming here.

Many young people don't even have PCs here other than their smartphones, at least in Japan. They do everything on them. I've even met quite a few who literally do not know how to use a computer. Even using trackpad was alien to some of them.

Yeah, but wake me up when a local game/media store, not in a big city, has anything PC related other than used laptops and some gaming headsets.

But you act like power is the only thing it can offer. Besides, most low end laptops/PCs released in recent years can also handle modern games nowadays.

You can also swing the pendulum and argue that many people are fine with some casual or occasional gaming on their work laptop and not invested enough to spend hundreds of dollars for a consoles.

Cyberpunkd

Gold Member
As always people are bunch of whinning wussies. So because the price went up $50 you are ok to get a gaming PC for $2000, in order to save probably $10 on the price of the game?
If you have a gaming PC already why are you even considering PS5 version?
If it's because all your friends have PS5 - will they all get a gaming PC instead?

LOL.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
What chaps my ass the most about articles like this is how obviously Gamesradar does not, and has not ever, given a single shit about Japanese gamers! Except now its click-bait time and... oooh! ooh! harrumph good sir!

So lame and obvious.

ArtHands

Yeah sure. Come on mate. Is not like ps5 had £100 price increase some crazyvass over reaction going on. And how many people we are talking about here? 5? 6? 10?

It is a substantial 20% increment, excluding the scalper price. Seems enough to justify several articles here

SLB1904

Banned
Seems enough to justify several articles here
you act as it takes too much to make articles about playstation lol
anyway, all this argument is a fart in the wind, if people wanted a ps5 they would have it by now, ps5 is hard to find but isn't impossible.
this ps5 price increase is a nuisance but that's about it. mos5t of the users here are from America which doesn't affect them at all, but they are still outraged and go for the social media people as well.

Duchess

Really quite strange how people are getting all angry about a £30 price rise of a cutting edge video games console.

I mean, that's the same cost of 3 pints of beer in your average London pub these days ... 🙃

Really quite strange how people are getting all angry about a £30 price rise of a cutting edge video games console.

I mean, that's the same cost of 3 pints of beer in your average London pub these days ... 🙃

It's the outrage of the week. It will be forgotten soon and replaced with something else to be mad about.

Bojanglez

The Amiga Brotherhood
Technically speaking these are players who were planning to buy a PS5.
Planning to, but can't afford or not willing to pay a little bit extra, but somehow already own a PC capable of playing the game. Basically, these people are PC only people port begging.

FStubbs

Just my humble pie opinion but nothing they've shown of 16 seems any better than HFW or Ragnarok and those games are comfortably cross-gen. HFW especially was very well optimized on PS4 and actually ran better than the original to my recollection.

I bet they would have, but Square has not put out an official date on if/when and how long after the console version the game will come out on PC. So, if they wanted to play FF16 in the first 6~8 months or whatever time it is, they would have needed to buy a PS5.

If Square had announced a day and date release for the PC version, all those people wouldn't really have anything to complain about.
Whenever this game comes out on PC (which could be 2+ years later), it'll probably be Epic exclusive for another year before it goes to Steam.

ArtHands

you act as it takes too much to make articles about playstation lol
anyway, all this argument is a fart in the wind, if people wanted a ps5 they would have it by now, ps5 is hard to find but isn't impossible.
this ps5 price increase is a nuisance but that's about it. mos5t of the users here are from America which doesn't affect them at all, but they are still outraged and go for the social media people as well.

if it doesn't take much the articles wouldn't exist. You say that when you don't understand the situation outside US, not to mention you yourself is also participating this thread when you are from America and doesn't affect you. Beside, who's to say the people outraged ain't from other countries.

Last edited:

ArtHands

Planning to, but can't afford or not willing to pay a little bit extra, but somehow already own a PC capable of playing the game. Basically, these people are PC only people port begging.

Who's to say all of them has a PC? They might also not have one, but were planning to buy both a PC and PS5 and now decides to drop the PS5 because they can't afford both due to the increase and they need the PC more. Bunch of reasons around.

Its actually not £30 but ok.

Last edited:

SLB1904

Banned
if it doesn't take much the articles wouldn't exist. You say that when you don't understand the situation outside US, not to mention you yourself is also participating this thread when you are from America and doesn't affect you. Beside, who's to say the people outraged ain't from other countries.
My point is people get outraged regardless until the next thing to be outrage happens.
Also I'm not from America. The thing is I'm not saying people from other country aren't outraged. The fact is people should have some prospective. At the end of the day all these consoles are a luxury, this is not the case of electricity and gas bills going up. If a product is expensive for you just don't buy it. At end of the day this articles are things to try to put some legitimacy in port begging and we both know sony has a contract with square for the exclusivity of the game. So I don't know what's the point honestly. Like I said before just a fart in the wind

Who's to say all of them has a PC? They might also not have one, but were planning to buy both a PC and PS5 and now decides to drop the PS5 because they can't afford both due to the increase and they need the PC more. Bunch of reasons around.
Lol what?
Somehow somehow someone was willing to drop almost over 2 grand on a PC and ps5 but bevcause of the £30-£50 ps5 price increase they can't afford.
Let's just agree you are grasping straws here mate. It really makes no sense whatsoever

Last edited:

Bojanglez

The Amiga Brotherhood
Well in that case let's assume they are PC only (as in PC with no PS5) gamers at the time it's due to release. Otherwise they'd be pretty strange for wanting it on Steam. Either way the reasoning stands.

Duchess

Its actually not £30 but ok.

Current RRP: £449
New RRP: £479
Difference: £30

Wow, maths is hard. Actually, I'm going to assume you're talking about the price of beer, in which case it should've been obvious I was joking ...

(Wahoo, £24! Must be Happy Hour ...)

Last edited:

ArtHands

[/URL]

[/URL]

Current RRP: £449
New RRP: £479
Difference: £30

Wow, maths is hard. Actually, I'm going to assume you're talking about the price of beer, in which case it should've been obvious I was joking ...

[/URL]

(Wahoo, £24! Must be Happy Hour ...)

Thread is about Japan not London. The price increase is 10498 yen which is £63.74.

Last edited:

ArtHands

Well in that case let's assume they are PC only (as in PC with no PS5) gamers at the time it's due to release. Otherwise they'd be pretty strange for wanting it on Steam. Either way the reasoning stands.

They might also not have a PC, but plan to buy the game and the PC after the game’s release on PS5, and doesn’t want to wait for a hypothetical PC release that hasn’t been announced.

Tams

Gold Member

I wish this were a joke. :messenger_sad_relieved:

Tams

Gold Member
I know prices don't really translate across countries (taxes, salaries, FX fluctuation, etc.) but the new PS5 with Blu-ray price (about £375) is now still about £10 less than the new PS5 Digital Edition price in the UK.

For perspective, the PS5 with Blu-ray price in Japan before was about £310 equivalent.

Of course, the main problem in Japan is just getting one in the first place: a combination of high demand and low supply due to no competition. There were some hoops that could imprive your chances of getting at least one though.

tl;dr: Japan have had it good, provided you could get one.

bender

What time is it?
Ahh yes the good old PS3 days when Sony had to sell buildings to stay afloat.
giphy.gif

BreakOut

I wonder if we will see a $50 price increase followed by a $20 price decrease. Cause the issue then minimize. Play the hero.

kapshin

Or maybe… they already have a PC and don’t want to buy a PS5 for one game?

You think these port beggars are people who just really want to build a new gaming PC and play it there instead?

The Japanese gamers will not buy a gaming PC because Windows comes with the Xbox app, I am an expert.

vkbest

US dollar has held strong since the pandemic. Other currencies, like the Euro and Yen, have declined against the USD.

[/URL][/URL]
That is a pretty bad excuse. When US dollar declined some years ago, they kept the same price in Europe and USA in PS3 and after PS4, paying around 30% more in EU for the same product. Happen also with Apple, when dollar was crap compared to Euro, we were paying the same number, when dollar improved they increases the prices on EU

Last edited:

AmuroChan

That is a pretty bad excuse. When US dollar declined some years ago, they kept the same price in Europe and USA in PS3 and after PS4, paying around 30% more in EU for the same product. Happen also with Apple, when dollar was crap compared to Euro, we were paying the same number, when dollar improved they increases the prices on EU

Business decisions are often made independently of prior decisions, especially when macro factors are rarely exactly the same across time. To put it bluntly, what Sony didn't do with PS3 and PS4's pricing had zero bearing on how they came to this decision for the PS5, especially when the leadership is not the same. Also, I'm of the belief that if the USD was weak, Sony would not raise the price of the PS5 in the US as that is their #1 market.

Top Bottom