• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gamesradar - At E3 2019, Microsoft shows Sony the importance of simply showing up

redfirm

Banned
This is the difference between a hardcore and casual right here. If you paid any attention to E3 outside the conferences you’d know how wrong you are.

What does anyone else have after Nov 2020 so far?

I’m interested now.

if i payed any attention to what? grab the charts, in the week of e3, sony topped software sales. dead stranding has more views then anything ms put out. I am paying attention, the fac that a lot of casual people i know told me they need to buy a ps4 for avengers because of the exclusive content says a lot.

i watched the xbox conference...sadly to be disappointed. almost all the games they showed will end up on the ps4, their gamepass is great, but can be easily countered. they simply do not have anything worthwhile for now that a casual gamer can not find on another console

Last edited:

Kagey K

Banned
if i payed any attention to what? grab the charts, in the week of e3, sony topped software sales. dead stranding has more views then anything ms put out. I am paying attention, the fac that a lot of casual people i know told me they need to buy a ps4 for avengers because of the exclusive content says a lot.

i watched the xbox conference...sadly to be disappointed. almost all the games they showed will end up on the ps4, their gamepass is great, but can be easily countered. they simply do not have anything worthwhile for now that a casual gamer can not find on another console
What is that exclusive Avengers content? Why would they buy it.... it was just CG and no gameplay, the thing they hate.

You are starting to contradict yourself now. They all hate CG unless it’s CG for something they like? That doesn’t even look like something they like?

I’m seeing cracks in this story.

They have already spent it, the marketing deals were already in place, and it’s already working on you.

FF7 is not exclusive (it’s timed)

What they did by not showing up was leave a hole on the show floor and a sense that they don’t care about the public. As much as E3 used to be a press show, now it is a holiday for nerds where they can get sneak leaks at their next favourite games.

Sony decided to sit at home and not play and that’s thier choice, but you have already made up your mind so I’m not going to waste my time.

Sony spent money on marketing and deals for specific games already, yes. But they spent nothing on E3. That was money better saved for a company that has absolutely nothing to show at this point. Sony made its final case for the PS4 last year. Spending money on E3 this year to just rehash stuff that has already been announced and shown by themselves or other publishers is not exactly a good use of money. Especially when you're curbstomping your most direct competitor in sales like they are this generation. Sony not showing up this E3 isn't exactly the onset of a gamer mass exodus from the platform and they know it. When you own four complete sets of properties on the Monopoly board with houses and hotels, there's no need to put your resources into acquiring a fifth property group. You've already won.

redfirm

Banned
What is that exclusive Avengers content? Why would they buy it.... it was just CG and no gameplay, the thing they hate.

You are starting to contradict yourself now. They all hate CG unless it’s CG for something they like? That doesn’t even look like something they like?

i never said they all hate cg, i said they showed cg, you said the casual market liked cg and now you are contradicting yourself on that part. you called me a hardcore gamer and that is correct and yes I do hate cg. but you brought up the casual market and they eat the cg part, so what are you getting at?

Kagey K

Banned
i never said they all hate cg, i said they showed cg, you said the casual market liked cg and now you are contradicting yourself on that part. you called me a hardcore gamer and that is correct and yes I do hate cg. but you brought up the casual market and they eat the cg part, so what are you getting at?

Nothing, Sony rules, they won E3 by not showing up. They are obviously the best and anyone who isn’t a fan needs to eat it.

Tell me about this content your friends are buying Avengers for. Are they buying PS4s strictly because of this less then 6 months away from a new console launch?

Or are they buying it there because that’s what they already own?

Hello: I replied to you in good faith all night, you better not back off now. That would seem disingenuous.

Last edited:

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year

Avangers trailer was all in-engine cut scenes some with gameplay scenes.

redfirm

Banned
Nothing, Sony rules, they won E3 by not showing up. They are obviously the best and anyone who isn’t a fan needs to eat it.

Tell me about this content your friends are buying Avengers for. Are they buying PS4s strictly because of this less then 6 months away from a new console launch?

Or are they buying it there because that’s what they already own?
sony does in fact at the moment rule the gaming industry, which is dangerous and really bad so i am glad that ms is making a comeback and google are entering the playing field. i dont know if you have noticed but sony has made no progress at all in technology in the past few years since they became market leader. shit is standing still and its not good for the consumers.

yes they are marvel fans and are buying the ps4 strickly because of this and spiderman, they dont know about a new console launch.

sony did not win e3, if we really have to pick a winner its nintendo imo, but i think we all lost. it was sad to watch every developer except nintendo only show cgi renders. but we are getting at the end of a generation and its understandable.

the issue here is, MS promised a lot, they hyped shit up to a point that i honestly canceled everything to watch their show just to be dissapointed and bored. i cant even remember any games except the one with the deer and halo and 12 minutes. those 3 stood out, everything else was vaporware in my opinion. i believe that if ms just did not hype it up and did not create this huge expectations, we would all be talking differently right now

Last edited:

Kagey K

Banned
Avangers trailer was all in-engine cut scenes some with gameplay scenes.

In “engine” pretty much says it all. In fact they are one of less then 5 games showing “behind closed doors” it pretty much says it all.
sony does in fact at the moment rule the gaming industry, which is dangerous and really bad so i am glad that ms is making a comeback and google are entering the playing field. i dont know if you have noticed but sony has made no progress at all in technology in the past few years since they became market leader. shit is standing still and its not good for the consumers.

yes they are marvel fans and are buying the ps4 strickly because of this and spiderman, they dont know about a new console launch.

sony did not win e3, if we really have to pick a winner its nintendo imo, but i think we all lost. it was sad to watch every developer except nintendo only show cgi renders. but we are getting at the end of a generation and its understandable.

the issue here is, MS promised a lot, they hyped shit up to a point that i honestly canceled everything to watch their show just to be dissapointed and bored. i cant even remember any games except the one with the deer and halo and 12 minutes. those 3 stood out, everything else was vaporware in my opinion. i believe that if ms just did not hype it up and did not create this huge expectations, we would all be talking differently right now

They aren’t buying a PS4 for knock off Avengers. There was nothing about that trailer that would entice a movie lover or a comic lover. This is a made up story. Sorry.

The rest is they showed 60 games, 34 of which require no extra investment from me because I have Gamepass, so if they suck I don’t care because I’m still trying to get through the 600 games I haven’t finished yet.

MS did exactly what they said they do, show off a lot of games coming out before next E3. If you want gameplay of them all you’d be nuts.

Regardless I can see how this is going, so let’s just call it a night and come back tomorrow.

It’ll still be all CG and smoke and mirrors as far as the eye can see.

redfirm

Banned
In “engine” pretty much says it all. In fact they are one of less then 5 games showing “behind closed doors” it pretty much says it all.

They aren’t buying a PS4 for knock off Avengers. There was nothing about that trailer that would entice a movie lover or a comic lover. This is a made up story. Sorry.

The rest is they showed 60 games, 34 of which require no extra investment from me because I have Gamepass, so if they suck I don’t care because I’m still trying to get through the 600 games I haven’t finished yet.

MS did exactly what they said they do, show off a lot of games coming out before next E3. If you want gameplay of them all you’d be nuts.

Regardless I can see how this is going, so let’s just call it a night and come back tomorrow.

It’ll still be all CG and smoke and mirrors as far as the eye can see.

Have a good night mate.

redfirm

Banned
Tell your friends if they really like comics Ultimate Alliance 3 on the Switch is the way to go. Otherwise you are a bad friend to them.
thanks for the info, ill let them know, they dont have a switch or ps4 at the moment so it wont hurt.

ookami

grab the charts, in the week of e3, sony topped software sales.
  1. What charts?
  2. Topping software sales means nothing. Does it count preorders? Already available games on discount for the E3 week?
In my opinion, fanboys will continue to buy from either Sony or Microsoft no matter the E3 conference. Others will just buy exclusives games they can't get anywhere else or will wait for the pricing of next-gen consoles. Period.

Last edited:

redfirm

Banned
  1. What charts?
  2. Topping software sales means nothing. Does it count preorders? Already available games on discount for the E3 week?
In my opinion, fanboys will continue to buy from either Sony or Microsoft no matter the E3 conference. Others will just buy exclusives games they can't get anywhere else or will wait for the pricing of next-gen consoles. Period.
  1. What charts?
i agree with this, lets also not forget that more and more people are getting locked in to a eco system thanks to online purchases.

DanielsM

Banned
  1. What charts?
Yeah, but they're not at this point.

I don't understand this constant Sony vs MS thing, right now MS is more akin to another big publisher. Is EA a competitor of Sony, yes, and also a customer.

HeresJohnny

I go back and forth on this. On one hand, as the industry leader, you’re supposed to lead by example. You’re supposed to be the company that directs where the console market is going. Sony not showing up did the opposite of that. However, there is the old adage of giving your opponent enough rope to hang himself with, and I believe Sony did that very well with regard to Microsoft.

For starters, the industry in general looks VERY lean between now and Holiday 2020. It has been posited that Sony doesn’t have a lot to show, but I’d say that’s the entire industry in general. Out of this show, the only NEW IP I got psyched over was Elden Ring, and it wasn’t even playable. Beyond that most everything I was excited for were remakes and rereleases, mostly on Switch. It was a disastrous show when it came to content and new announcements, not even an echo of shows from years past.

Further, what did Microsoft gain from the Scarlett reveal? Nothing substantive was said about it really, and nothing was shown, either. Also, some of what was shown was disappointing (Battletoads) and the Microsoft employee reel looked like a collection of freaks just short of the cantina scene from Star Wars. So we essentially have to wait until next year to see anything substantive about price or seeing the system in action, the controller, etc. It wasn’t a miss for Microsoft, it was just... premature. And I say that as one who WANTED this generation to be over Fall 2019 as history has always dictated with the typical 5 year cycle.

But nope, both companies elected to go an extra year before release and there really isn’t much in the pipes and I suspect this is going to be a difficult year for people expecting the steady stream of content we’ve become accustomed to.

So while, yes, Microsoft showing up definitely is important (because I guess somebody had to, right?), the old axiom about it being better to remain quiet to avoid sounding dumb than opening your mouth and removing all doubt applies to Sony. I’m convinced they don’t have much to show and you’d have had a few games punctuated by stupid shit like people playing instruments to pass the time.

If you want my honest take, Nintendo had the best showing and that was mostly done by announcing a bunch of old games. But that says more about this show, than it does about Nintendo.

Last edited:

Senhua

Sony spent money on marketing and deals for specific games already, yes. But they spent nothing on E3. That was money better saved for a company that has absolutely nothing to show at this point. Sony made its final case for the PS4 last year. Spending money on E3 this year to just rehash stuff that has already been announced and shown by themselves or other publishers is not exactly a good use of money. Especially when you're curbstomping your most direct competitor in sales like they are this generation. Sony not showing up this E3 isn't exactly the onset of a gamer mass exodus from the platform and they know it. When you own four complete sets of properties on the Monopoly board with houses and hotels, there's no need to put your resources into acquiring a fifth property group. You've already won.
You mean Sony's money better spend for making exclusive deal to hold Xbox and PC gamers from playing FF VII remake at launch rather than do some more advertising / floor playthrough for their first party exclusive on e3?

Last edited:

BigBooper

I don't think skipping hurt Sony, unless you count anything that benefits MS as hurting Sony, which I don't. MS had some decent announcements, but honestly MS and Sony usually do such a poor job on third party announcements that I don't want to see them try to showcase that stuff. The PCGames Show did a much better job than any of the big three in recent years. Cyberpunk being the one exception because MS does at least have the foresight to just let them do what they want.

Sony would have been a bummer without any new game announcements. They were made fun of endlessly for last year's conference, which they deserved for making one so bizarre. I wouldn't be too surprised if this was the last year for the huge E3 MS or Sony conference. I bet they do it next year for the console launch, but I bet MS will also come up with it's own event and move away from the E3 spectacle the following year or two. PS State of Play is a much better venue for just showcasing games on PlayStation.

Journey

Banned
I'm sure this will hit a nerve on those that went as far as saying that Sony won E3 simply by not showing up lol.

DanielsM

Banned
I'm sure this will hit a nerve on those that went as far as saying that Sony won E3 simply by not showing up lol.

There is nothing to win, for the record, I didn't click the article as its just click bait nonsense - easy to spot. Sony could have went to e3 and collected their participation trophy. :messenger_tears_of_joy: To be honest, there is way too much over saturation of gaming marketing, to me once or two a year you show a few thing.... or slow leak things. Most of these companies don't have enough to show to fill up 20 minutes let alone 1-2 hours.

Someone needs to tell Microsoft to cut Xbox's marketing budget by about 90%, it actually does more harm than good, imo.

Vawn

Banned
I don't know about all that. Personally, going into E3, I had higher expectations about what Xbox was doing. After a disappointing showing, I felt more like this is the same Xbox that has become increasingly less desirable to it's two competitors.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
The consoles aren't going on sale tomorrow. Heck, 'Project Scarlett' doesn't even have a proper name nor a specific release date.

When Sony (and Microsoft, too, for that matter) begins showing off more info about PS5 -- especially in terms of launch titles, hardware capabilities, and services -- I can't imagine anyone will care enough to say "...yeah, but remember when Sony skipped E3 2019?"

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
This is so silly really.

Here's the thing: Do Sony have a lot of product both announced and unannounced coming? Obviously, no question, yes they have, based on what we know about their line-up of studios and what's been shown elsewhere and in an around E3.

On top of that, in terms of any metric you can imagine the PS4 has already "won" the console-war this gen, and there's insufficient time remaining for that to be reversed.

Performance at E3 is irrelevant. Especially when there are several other expos and trade-shows left in this calendar year, and a similar number next year before the next-gen begins in the holiday quarter 2020.

Shifty

So, the usual games press spin cycle then?

I'd like to direct the author to JohnnyFootball JohnnyFootball 's latest thread:

mckmas8808

Banned
All depends if Sony has a big exclusive show in the next months.

If they have then the writer will even forget what he wrote or even what happened at E3 this year... he will even call Sony’s strategy genius.

Now if Sony didn’t plan something else then they made a big mistake.

100% agree! If they have a PS Experience this December, then skipping E3 will be forgotten.

HarryKS

The problem is not just that Sony wasn't there, it's that they haven't even announced or given a hint as to when they will show something after or around E3 time.

Gamernyc78

Banned
If anything E3 can have a negative affect. After seeing Microsofts E3 offerings I'm almost 100% sure I won't be getting it day one. Remember, whether Sony showed anything or not doesnt matter to most as the burden of proof is on Microsoft as their first party offerings have been mediocre at best as per general consensus. With Sony they get the benefit of the doubt because they've been releasing generally blockbuster after blockbuster for years now with no real issues. No one doubts Sony's first party capabilities except fanboys. Besides that we already know already a handful of awesome looking games coming soon 🤗🙂 Ghost of T., TLOU 2, Death Stranding, Concrete Genie and also some good VR games on the horizon. Sony fans never have to worry about quality output.

FranXico

If anything E3 can have a negative affect. After seeing Microsofts E3 offerings I'm almost 100% sure I won't be getting it day one. Remember, whether Sony showed anything or not doesnt matter to most as the burden of proof is on Microsoft as their first party offerings have been mediocre at best as per general consensus. With Sony they get the benefit of the doubt because they've been releasing generally blockbuster after blockbuster for years now with no real issues. No one doubts Sony's first party capabilities except fanboys. Besides that we already know already a handful of awesome looking games coming soon 🤗🙂 Ghost of T., TLOU 2, Death Stranding, Concrete Genie and also some good VR games on the horizon. Sony fans never have to worry about quality output.
Aye, gimme some 3rd person walkie talkies!

/s

zenspider

All depends if Sony has a big exclusive show in the next months.

If they have then the writer will even forget what he wrote or even what happened at E3 this year... he will even call Sony’s strategy genius.

Now if Sony didn’t plan something else then they made a big mistake.

This was Nintendo e3 fan syndrome for a majority of the Wii and WiiU years - people holding out for Tokyo Game Show/Space World, and it never came.

I think Sony ran out of gas this gen in terms of a transition and calendar strategy. High profile games just take way longer to make than expected, and Sony has shown everything they had pretty early on (to great success), I highly doubt there's a megaton incoming. Even MediEvil remake is a prolonged cycle.

Is it a big deal business-wise? I have no idea, but I think they could have kept more studios and projects going and aqcuired more resources as they went big on VR and not just divert them. I don't think they'll be a surprised next gen by thier success, but I think the 'mistake' was not having projects going, not the e3 no-show. I'd call it a tactful retreat after seeing Microsoft's poor showing.

Gamernyc78

Banned
This was Nintendo e3 fan syndrome for a majority of the Wii and WiiU years - people holding out for Tokyo Game Show/Space World, and it never came.

I think Sony ran out of gas this gen in terms of a transition and calendar strategy. High profile games just take way longer to make than expected, and Sony has shown everything they had pretty early on (to great success), I highly doubt there's a megaton incoming. Even MediEvil remake is a prolonged cycle.

Is it a big deal business-wise? I have no idea, but I think they could have kept more studios and projects going and aqcuired more resources as they went big on VR and not just divert them. I don't think they'll be a surprised next gen by thier success, but I think the 'mistake' was not having projects going, not the e3 no-show. I'd call it a tactful retreat after seeing Microsoft's poor showing.

I am kind of neutral in what your saying but I don't think ran out of gas or Sony needs to worry about acquisitions in general. Sony were the ones acquiring studios years past and did great in tht, I mean adding is still always good but I don't think they are lacking in that area. My Sony backlog is crazy right now and them strengthening their already great dev teams like Naughty Dog, Guerilla, Santa Monica and expanding them into sub teams is the way to keep going. When I see Sony devs taking their time releasing games I think more of Sony's philosophy of not rushing teams to spit games out like happens elsewhere. I'm sure if they were super micro managing and more demanding of release dates things would be different. Not to say they don't tell devs to project release dates or tell devs thy need so and so released by a certain date but they seem more laxed and understanding and that's how we get all these high meta games. Also their third party exclusives pad things out I do agree that the inclusion of psvr slowed down some ps4 games from coming out and psvr specifically needs more studio acquisitions or if not specific sub teams in bigger companies dedicated to VR apps.

Last edited:

Shmunter

Nothing MS showed was earth shattering. And big hitters like Halo were just a cutscene., which simply doesn’t garner much excitement.

The big ticket item was Cyberpunk, and any gamer knows it’s coming to their system of choice.

When Sony makes a move, and shows more Last of Us gameplay, death stranding, and some mega 3rd parties like COD MW, all the girls will be throwing their panties at the stage. And the limelight willl be on them.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
I am kind of neutral in what your saying but I don't think ran out of gas or Sony needs to worry about acquisitions in general. Sony were the ones acquiring studios years past and did great in tht, I mean adding is still always good but I don't think they are lacking in that area. My Sony backlog is crazy right now and them strengthening their already great dev teams like Naughty Dog, Guerilla, Santa Monica and expanding them into sub teams is the way to keep going. When I see Sony devs taking their time releasing games I think more of Sony's philosophy of not rushing teams to spit games out like happens elsewhere. I'm sure if they were super micro managing and more demanding of release dates things would be different. Not to say they don't tell devs to project release dates or tell devs thy need so and so released by a certain date but they seem more laxed and understanding and that's how we get all these high meta games. Also their third party exclusives pad things out I do agree that the inclusion of psvr slowed down some ps4 games from coming out and psvr specifically needs more studio acquisitions or if not specific sub teams in bigger companies dedicated to VR apps.
Ran out of gas near the eminent launch of PS5?

Top Bottom