• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GameSpot: Why Battlefield 4 and Battlefield 3 are So Darn Good

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Battlefield 4 servers are filling up again ahead of Battlefield 2042's release. In this video we take a look at what made BF4 an excellent first-person shooter and why you should give it another shot.

Battlefield 4 has seen a resurgence in popularity ever since DICE's latest game, Battlefield 2042, was announced. Despite a very rocky launch, Battlefield 4 has turned out to be a standout entry in the franchise with an excellent chaotic sandbox and a wide variety of weapons and vehicles. Combine that with a wide range of maps and post-launch content with DLC expansions and Battlefield 4 makes a case for being one of the strongest Battlefield games yet. In this video, we take a trip down memory lane and explore all the aspects that make Battlefield 4 such a good game, from the right hits of nostalgia to the consistent support by DICE in fine tuning of the gameplay. Join us as we dive into Battlefield 4, and why it's just so darn good.

Battlefield 4 was the last good bf for me. Amazing moments in the multiplayer (I liked the short campaign) and I hope 2042 continue the greatness.

Thanks mods for the title change

Pop Tv Reaction GIF by Schitt's Creek

Last edited:

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
Yes. Game is the GOAB.

Now please for the love of God Dice. Please patch in higher resolution. Game is 1000% playable in every aspect aside from the fact it’s fucking 720p/900p in 2021.

Shubh_C63

I have never played BF MP games and tried the SWBF2 free on Epic yesterday. I assume it definitely shares some dna with BF games.

And I could barely see or comprehend what or where everything was. Really hope EA will do free trail version when BF2042 releases because I am hyped to play but my fps skills says no.

BigLee74

If it didn’t look like shit with sketchy performance (XSX), I would still be playing it.

I just prefer a modern setting for these games.

ZehDon

It's amazing seeing it come back to life since the BF2042 reveal. I never got into it at launch, but it's solid fun. Crazy, hectic, and wild - as Battlefield should be.

I remember for the first year or so the game was completely unplayable
Also it looks like dogcrap on Xbox consoles a simple resolution patch for seires console or Xbox one x would go such a long way for this

Tams

Gold Member
And yet really the only multiplayer maps that people have played since about a year of its launch are small infantry maps with bottlenecks.

Fun at first, but they get old quickly and in no way make the most of the game.

BF1 has far more character and makes players play at least a few more maps that take advantage of what the game has to offer. Yes, Operations are effectively no more, but that was inevitable.

Last edited:
This guy thinks bf4 is so good because he didnt begin with battlefield 2, or badcompany, or even BF3.

Last edited:
And yet really the only multiplayer maps that people have played since about a year of its launch are small infantry maps with bottlenecks.

Fun at first, but they get old quickly and in no way make the most of the game.

BF1 has far more character and makes players play at least a few more maps that take advantage of what the game has to offer. Yes, Operations are effectively no more, but that was inevitable.
I enjoyed BF3 a whole lot because it felt new having a nice shiny PC mainline BF game in a while. BF4 came out reasonably close to BF3 and felt like just sort of more of that. It was fun but I remember feeling burned by the game since it seemingly doubled down on so much of the attachment/unlock stuff for weapons. I recall grinding out XP for some shotgun attachment and finally getting the attachment only to have it feel like it did nothing and feeling really burned by that. Made me sour on the game pretty quickly after that.

Modern warfare stuff is fine in BF games (BF2 is top tier) but I prefer the historical settings. BF1 for me did a ton right in terms of just having amazing atmosphere and by basically streamlining so much of the attachment stuff you had from BF3/4. Operations were by far and away my favorite recent BF game mode. I haven't tried them recently but I remember trying to get in one maybe late last year or early this year and that whole mode is dead, which is a shame. Maybe its better since BF1 came to Steam?

Tams

Gold Member
I enjoyed BF3 a whole lot because it felt new having a nice shiny PC mainline BF game in a while. BF4 came out reasonably close to BF3 and felt like just sort of more of that. It was fun but I remember feeling burned by the game since it seemingly doubled down on so much of the attachment/unlock stuff for weapons. I recall grinding out XP for some shotgun attachment and finally getting the attachment only to have it feel like it did nothing and feeling really burned by that. Made me sour on the game pretty quickly after that.

Modern warfare stuff is fine in BF games (BF2 is top tier) but I prefer the historical settings. BF1 for me did a ton right in terms of just having amazing atmosphere and by basically streamlining so much of the attachment stuff you had from BF3/4. Operations were by far and away my favorite recent BF game mode. I haven't tried them recently but I remember trying to get in one maybe late last year or early this year and that whole mode is dead, which is a shame. Maybe its better since BF1 came to Steam?
BF3 came after a drought and was a big improvement in graphical fidelity for the entire games industry.

BF1 obviously looked better, but yes, the atmosphere was what they nailed there. Sure, there are some rightful complaints about the gameplay, but there's nothing really that wrong with it and much just preferences rather than issues. I don't think I ever really felt frustrated playing it (well, perhaps later on when there were matches without full teams and then the opposition steamrollering you).

I loved playing Operations too. I caved and got BF1 right after launch as I knew that's when in the entire game's existence that would be the best it would ever get. Thankfully I went all in on Operations then as there was still the player base and it was glorious. Operations was always going to do die out though, because it required a big investment of time. Not that DICE really did anything to entice people back to it. They did at least stop people from just queueing up infantry maps, but players still gravitated to a limited set of maps and game modes.

This guy thinks bf4 is so good because he didnt begin with battlefield 2, or badcompany, or even BF3.

Battlefield 2 was great for its time and still has the best variety. The simple (for these days) graphics also made it easy to see what was going on. Battlefield these days can become a bit of a bloomy mess.

Bad Company hands down wins in terms of character and story. BF1 came close, but there weren't enough stories and there wasn't the opportunity to use modern humour in them. BF3's story was decent mind, and BF4s was a wasted opportunity.

Last edited:

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Everybody comes into Battlefield at some point taking advantage of someone who hasn’t played the first four entries needs to be called out. If I had to pick a battlefield game to play today it’s 4.

CitizenZ

Banned
I guess the title should be "We have no idea what to discuss, so we are jumping on what everyone is playing" since it is like selling for nothing at this time. Pathetic urinalism at its best.

V4skunk

Banned
Honestly? 3 is a better MP and SP game.

But BF1 took my heart like no other.
BF1 is where it started to go downhill imo.
Spawning vehicles through a menu was a terrible idea which also carried over into BF5.
Dice need to go back to their roots with vehicles spawning at main base and flags.
Aircraft spawnig in on a runway etc...
One of the best thing about BF4 and the older games was TKing vehicle/aircraft campers at main by running them down with a 4x4 but jumping out at the last second killing them.
And planting C4 on the top of a friendly jets nose cone and as they take off detonate C4 so the plane hits the ground and dies lol.
We need more sandbox and less restrictions imo.

Paulxo87

I had bf4 for ps4 since launch day. Played the hell out of that game. Maybe as much as I did 1942 back in the day. And that's saying something for me

Maybe 2042 can recapture some of that.. we'll see

I had a great deal of fun with Vietnam, BC2, and 3. BF4 didn't fit my life at the time, so I haven't really spent a ton of time with it.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Battlefield 3 smartly combined Bad Company 2 and Battlefield 2, leading to some of the best maps, balance, DLC, and memories from the series. Let’s look at exactly why many of you feel Battlefield 3 was the best Battlefield.

Battlefield 3 is considered by many to be the peak of the Battlefield series. Battlefield 3 came out in 2011, a year after Bad Company 2, and smartly combined the meandering Rush-focused maps of that game with the wide-open Conquest expanses of Battlefield 2. It was both a love letter to the series as well as a compromise between these two audiences and it largely worked. For many fans of Battlefield 3, the series declined after that point by adding too many weapons and gadgets, watering down the class system, reducing destruction, and going back to previous time periods.

In this video, we are going to look at what exactly made Battlefield 3 so good, including memorable maps with a strong sense of identity, just enough guns, well-balanced classes, visual leaps in technology, destruction, DLC, campaign, co-op, and more. Battlefield 3 had strong post-launch content with some of the strongest Battlefield maps of all time like Wake Island in the Karkand DLC, a post-apocalyptic Aftermath DLC with Scavenger mode, and some of the biggest maps in the series including Bandar Desert from Armored Kill.

Battlefield is finally returning to more modern times with 2042 and fans are very excited to see what influences it draws from the series. Six remastered maps are now confirmed to be in the game in the newly announced Portal creative mode. Battlefield 2042 betas are expected this September with a full release on October 15 for some preorder editions and a general release on October 22.

BF3 with BF4 are the best bf for me.

Spacefish

I don't get the love for 3 and 4, I can only surmise it was many peoples first experience with the series. After bad company 2 the step down was so massive 3 and 4 made me quit BF entirely. Sterile, messy games.

Top Bottom