• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GameSpot: Uncharted 3 Is Still The Most Important Entry 10 Years Later

Fox Mulder

I really enjoyed 2 and 3. And I get having a preference. But they’re more or less the same game so I’ve never understood how 2 is so universally praised and 3 is the black sheep for a lot of people, especially over time.

UC3 has tons of plot holes that make the game feel unfinished. Side characters just vanish and the villain feels like stuff was cut. Even the big cruise ship set piece felt tacked on and is completely pointless.

I still rank UC4 last though since it was too slowly paced and I prefer more action set pieces and monster/spooky shit in my uncharted.

Last edited:

Kokoloko85

U2 was easily better and set the comeback for Playstation and the start of their GOTY run
I prefer U4 altogether because of the combat but U2 was special because it set a new trend and style in gaming

odhiex

I love all of the Uncharted Games. U2 is my personal favorite, but U4 is the best conclusion of Drake's Story.

U1, U2, U3, and U4 endings are basically within the same story. They are all about Nathan and Elena continue with their romantic relationship. Golden Abyss is the outlier adventure of Nathan, and TLL is about Chloe's story.

gioGAF

Yeah, no. Uncharted 2 is the best entry in the series. Everything after it has been inferior. Sure, the tech moved forward, but everything else is just better in Uncharted 2.

Certinty

Thought 4 was the best one by an absolute mile. It’s the only one with good gunplay and has the best story.

Heck, I would even say I prefer Golden Abyss to 1, 2 and 3.

Gamerguy84

Uncharted 3 was the only one I didn't care for. First game I played in stereoscopic 3D as well.

U2, U, U4, LL, GA, then UC3 for me.

Last edited:

isoRhythm

Banned

I played through Uncharted 1/2/3 atleast 3-4 times each. Hard disagree, U2 was what made the IP what it is and U4 has the best story/gameplay. Although U2 had better multiplayer co-op. If you actually look into the story of U3 it honestly doesn't make sense, was still a great game though.

Last edited:

Mr Hyde

damn right walter white GIF by Breaking Bad

ckaneo

The problem with Uncharted 3 is that it was just more of the same. The series while good, I dont think was ever great outside of graphics and voice acting. The gun variety, enemy design, puzzle design and level design didnt improve much to really enhance the series meaningfully and this showed up again in Uncharted 4 where they were smelling their own farts and didnt actually take a real look at the series. Just more boring box pushing, meh platforming, meh climbing, talking about nothing to cover up the lack of gameplay going on, etc. Lost Legacy acknowledged some of these things but also wound up reusing stuff, i think lost legacy is the best in the series if you just play one game though.

I hope God of War and Spiderman dont follow this path in their sequels. People say God of War is a masterpiece but ehh...just like Uncharted it has so much to meh level design, puzzle design, enemy encounters, I really hope they didnt buy into their own hype because the pieces are all there. I'm saddened by their return of the single camera gimmick. Why would I want a story to take place in one day? Spiderman is one of the most fun ive had in a game, but there is plenty of improvement to be had as well.

Last edited:

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
I’ve only ever played UC1 and UC4 and found both extremely boring. Are 2 and 3 much better? I have the ps4 collection.

It’s fucked up because I see how much people love ND games but the only one I ever really enjoyed was TLOU1. Maybe it was a time and place thing.

I’ve only ever played UC1 and UC4 and found both extremely boring. Are 2 and 3 much better? I have the ps4 collection.

It’s fucked up because I see how much people love ND games but the only one I ever really enjoyed was TLOU1. Maybe it was a time and place thing.

I think the series just isnt for you if you didnt enjoy UC1 and UC4.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Haven't watched the video, but what does "important" mean? Uncharted 2 is better, and arguable more important for both Sony and ND as it's the first one that became a massive success both critically and commercially. U3 is just more of the same, but less coherent and not as well thought out.

Also:

Uncharted 3 originally released on PS3 in 2011, but is now available on PS4/PS5 via The Nathan Drake Collection. The game will also come to PC in early 2022 via the Uncharted: Legacy of Thieves Collection.

Nope. Unless I've missed something this is entirely incorrect. That collection contains only Uncharted 4 and Lost Legacy (which I think is dumb BTW - who wants to play only chapters 4 and 4.5 of a heavily story-driven series?). I've seen several people here on GAF mistakenly believe the same thing, but I'd expect gaming "journalists" to get their facts straight.

Last edited:

THEAP99

Banned
My rankings:

Uncharted The Lost Legacy
Uncharted 4
Uncharted 3
Uncharted 2
Uncharted 1

I seriously think Uncharted 3 is a lot better than 2. But overall, I prefer 4 and Lost Legacy the most above all since they don't have any formulaic storytelling feel that the first three have. Honestly, all the first 3 games feel the same to me and have cookie cutter stories. 4 and LL have actual good gameplay with more personal character-driven stories along with better villains.

3 is good but the story is a mess, so many dropped plot elements and it overall doesn't make much sense, a shame as it's otherwise great.

My personal favorite is 4 but 2 is a worthy pick for best in the series too.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Among Thieves had the best cast and the most interesting plot. It was probably one of the best games on PS3. I wanted to like 3, but there were two parts that made it such a weaker entry. The kid Drake parts were just boring and uninteresting. I didn’t exactly feel like reliving his childhood. The second thing was the desert sands. I thought that part would never end. Uncharted 3 was not the best game in the series. I’d put 2 and then 1 ahead of it. Something about Uncharted 4 was boring. Maybe it was the Indiana Jones fatigue. Indiana Jones is like one of the best characters ever created, but it feels like a lifetime has to pass you by before you want to set off an adventure with them again. You get a good feeling of accomplishment from watching Drake and then Uncharted 3 tosses in some new stuff and it leaves a bad taste in your mouth. Uncharted 4 tried throwing some shade back to its roots, but it felt like a reheated dish.

skit_data

3 is much better than 2, 4 is much better than 3.

I played through the games 10 years ago high as a kite and 2 barely left a memory. 1 left some ”wtf, when did the monsters get into this game” memories and 3 left some ”wtf, they survive a deadly shot and teleports”-memories. I’ll stand by my opinion that UC2 is pretty weak.

Uncharted 4 is like several steps beyond on a narrative level. Nathan’s releationship to Elena and Sam is the treasure.

Over’n out.

Edit: Replayed them recently and it just reaffirms my opinion.

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?
The original was kind of dull and Uncharted 2 cranked up the bombast and over-the-top set pieces to 11. The problem with Uncharted 3 is it felt like ND wanted to one-up the spectacle of Uncharted 2 and it just felt exhausting because of that.

Uncharted 2 is one of the greatest games of all time.

I played that game from start to finish, back to back, 3 times on launch. No other game has made such an impression on me.... not even U3 or 4.

U2 was just a thrill ride from beginning to end. It was just perfect in a way U3 and U4 wasn't.

wipeout364

I really did not like 3. That’s probably why I didn’t get excited enough to push through 4. Uncharted was great but very flawed, uncharted 2 felt like they fixed all the problems with one and delivered on the idea. 3 just felt like more of the same to me.

4 and LL are the only good Uncharted games. Though Uncharted 1 was great in everything except gameplay, which 3 sort of fixed (at the expense of everything else) so I go back and forth with them.

4 > LL >>> 1 >= 3 = 2

Not sure where everyone’s boner for Uncharted 2 comes from. The only memorable part (not in a good way either) of that game was shitty yeti combat and there were some snowy environments. The only parts of the series that are worse were the infinite respawning enemies in 1, the bald guy clone brawls in 3, and the hallucinogens in 3.

Last edited:

Business

3 is good but the story is a mess, so many dropped plot elements and it overall doesn't make much sense, a shame as it's otherwise great.

My personal favorite is 4 but 2 is a worthy pick for best in the series too.

Like walking forever lost in the desert, day and night walk seeing mirages, barely being able to walk or talk searching for water, gets into some ghost town struggling to stand up and suddenly gets into a massive firefight action scene like nothing happened, we just forget about the being almost dead part we spent the last ten minutes of the game on. Who writes this shit?

engstra

U3 is my personal favorite and doesn't get as much attention as it deserves. Visually stunning (those sand effects were really impressive) and a more grounded and mature story than the previous 2. The main issue I have with the first 2 games is how the both end up with supernatural elements.

sncvsrtoip

I would say u3 was least important, u2 was probably most as was quite a big jum from 1 but for me defenitly u4 with more mature narrative was best (tough with some pacing problems)

isoRhythm

Banned
Like walking forever lost in the desert, day and night walk seeing mirages, barely being able to walk or talk searching for water, gets into some ghost town struggling to stand up and suddenly gets into a massive firefight action scene like nothing happened, we just forget about the being almost dead part we spent the last ten minutes of the game on. Who writes this shit?
Don't forget the part where he drinks the "undrinkable" well water and then has the energy to kill 100 goons. Also still have no idea if Talbot is a wizard or jinn (genie)... The 4th one was so much better.

Hunnybun

Lol I never understood the point of making that water he found "undrinkable". Surely the obvious thing was to let him have a drink and then let his relief be confounded by spotting the bad guys? That just seems like the right kind of twist..

Not to mention that it might have given just a tiny bit of plausibility to the subsequent firefight...

I think 3 has pretty much the reputation it deserves. Disjointed story clearly strung around as many crazy set pieces as they could think up rather than any actually compelling narrative. It's technically impressive but the stories are the soul of these games and it just doesn't measure up.

4 is my favourite. I like the slower pace - I want to feel like I'm on an adventure and savour the environments and characters etc. Strangely the thing I disliked about it was actually the shooting. I found it really difficult to aim, I'm sure the reticle accelerates away from targets or something. I just never felt I was in control of any encounters - I always seemed to have to resort to just hiding and taking cover once I'd got my ass kicked. In the end I just tried to use stealth whenever possible. It's not like I can't play shooters. I've finished both the Doom games this gen, and Returnal. So I dunno.

What's sad is we are talking about the 10 year anniversary of uncharted 3... 10 years. That also means skyrim and a slew of other games are 10 years old. We are getting old (or at least I am). Some favorite games are over 30 years old... Wtf

As for uncharted 3, it was the black sheep of the bunch. I liked it more than uncharted 4. But my order would be uncharted 2, 1,3, GA, 4.

I don't understand the hatred people have for thr first game. It's iconic and I loved it. Was it because it came out when it was popular to bash on the ps3? (something I also thought was stupid. I thought the ps3 was the best console at the time and getting it I had mgs4, gta4, lbp, resistance 2, bioshock and uncharted all around thr same time frame in 2007/08. Then.ame uncharted 2 and a masterpiece was born.

Uncharted 4, felt like subversion for ideology. Get rid of nate. And it just wasn't fun, something was amiss. Thr graphics were amazing, but games aren't all gfx. Well they won't get me to buy if they don't have Nathan drake as the main character in uncharted 5..

Last edited:
2>4>Lost Legacy>3>1
Lost legacy above 3 and 1, blasphemy! Lol...

Lost legacy isn't even a main game. It's like dlc. Side story.

Actually I can't talk about it as I never played LL.

Seriously what do some find wrong with uncharted 1.outside that it was popular for some Xbox 360 fan boys to bash at the time. I think uncharted 1 was amazing and the gfx and gameplay was unmatched for thr time. The game felt like exploring tombs and was the best for collectables outside of uncharted 2.

Last edited:
U2 > LL > U4 > U3 > U1 > GA

Some of us like a balance of murders and story.
Ughh another one.. Lol..

U2 > u1 > u3 > GA > u4

(never played lost legacy, figured after they ousted Amy and with druckman going all Anita worshipy /woke, I would hate it, as it would be some feminist screed and ruin Chole forever. Hopefully I am wrong and Chole remains a feminine character who can kick ass) how was the game? Did it have a good plot or were my concerns at the time justified?

Also uncharted 1 was amazing. Don't get why people hate it. Is it because you shoot a lot? I loved uc1. I also thought Golden abyss was super fun on the vita.

Last edited:

Hunnybun

Ughh another one.. Lol..

U2 > u1 > u3 > GA > u4

(never played lost legacy, figured after they ousted Amy and with druckman going all Anita worshipy /woke, I would hate it, as it would be some feminist screed and ruin Chole forever. Hopefully I am wrong and Chole remains a feminine character who can kick ass) how was the game? Did it have a good plot or were my concerns at the time justified?

Also uncharted 1 was amazing. Don't get why people hate it. Is it because you shoot a lot? I loved uc1. I also thought Golden abyss was super fun on the vita.

It had plenty of the moronic, standard--issue "women are great, men are idiots" male-feminist drivel in it, but overall that stuff was tolerable, and it's a great little game.

Them pretending Chloe was Indian all along pissed me off more, especially as they uglified her at the same time. First they pretended she was supposed to be Australian all along, and then Indian heritage. I wonder what's next for her? Transwomanhood?

MacReady13

I don't understand the hatred people have for thr first game. It's iconic and I loved it.
YES! The original had the best story and was so fresh when it arrived. I love it and still consider it the best of the series. Part 4 is an abomination. 2 and 3 I can't decide which is the better but I love them both. For mine it is 1-2/3-4

Top Bottom