• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GameSpot: The Redesign That Saved Deathloop

Jinzo Prime

The biggest problem with Deathloop was that it didn't sell anyone on it's premise. I didn't get the blacksplotation angle until it was explained in a video, despite being black myself. Hell, I thought it was a roguelike for most of its pre-release hype period because of poor marketing.

Arkane needs new art designers, marketing teams, technical directors, planners... really everything except level designers, because they keep releasing flop after flop.

Filben

Loved the aesthetics but it was too samey for me. I don't know, maybe the loop makes totally sense narrative wise (didn't finish it), but it sure didn't help the gameplay. Even when unlocking stuff by gathering info it felt always the same, same areas, same enemies. Liked Dishonored 1 and 2 way more.

Also, the technical issues didn't help the game either.

I'd love to see more from that antagonist woman but more in a "traditional" Dishornored style game.

Give me missions and new areas with each one!

"Early user research had criticized the game for its obtuse and esoteric design, with some players confusing it for a different genre entirely"

Translation (my theory): focus groups, composed mostly of non-gamers had no idea what to do and started blasting like they would when playing call of duty #354556 and the publisher forced them to dumb their game down and "diversify" it for mass appeal.

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
no hate, but i have never seen a regular gamer hyping this game up. only the media loved it.
I think people that played it loved it. I loved it. But it didn't sell because the concept was too hard to explain.

Like, in this video they talk about all this shit they had to do to make the game comprehensible, which is great if you're playing the game, but it doesn't really make it easier for, say, reviewers or marketing to communicate the game to people before they play it. So who is going to buy it then?

I know some ppl really like it, but it just was not for me. I was kinda "meh" from the dozens of trailers, but really like the style of the trailers. I was on the fence, but then the glowing reviews came it... unfortunately it didn't hit quite that way for me.

Last edited:

anthony2690

Banned
I'm looking forward too this, enjoyed other Arkane titles in the past, I think it looks pretty interesting.

Hopefully it lands in September, also really looking forward to Tokyo ghost wire next year too, love the look of that game. :)

Top Bottom