• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gamespot: "Nintendo Will Announce New Hardware When The Time Is Right, Bowser Says"

when?

• March 2022 with zelda [Switch Pro]

Votes: 37 26.2%
  • November 2022 with zelda [Switch Pro]

Votes: 36 25.5%
  • March 2023 with zelda [Switch 2]

Votes: 37 26.2%
  • Fall 2021

Votes: 31 22.0%

• Total voters

Scotty W

Gold Member
Thanks for sharing! Did they give any details about timing?
No, but given what he said he was working on, it sounds like the internal specs are finalized. He first mentioned this to me 4 or 5 months ago. I don’t know much more than that, and nothing interesting, but I can’t share because I don’t want anything traced back to him. He did call it a Switch though.

Last edited:

Ceadeus

Gold Member
I wish for a March 22 release but knowing Nintendo, they're all gonna disappoint us by releasing it in another year in 2023

Zannegan

Once the thing (assuming it really does exist) actually starts manufacturing, something will leak. Until then, Nintendo is content to keep selling its OG Switch at full price for as long as possible, and we'll have to sort through every insider tidbit and rumor, trying to decide what's credible and what is not.

I don't really mind though. Wild speculation is one of my favorite games (and there at least, I think we can all agree Nintendo is #1, lol)
I work in Tokyo. A parts manufacturer which works with Nintendo today confirmed the existence of a new model of the Switch.
I want to believe...

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
Bowser: "It's not technology for technology's sake. It's how specifically can technology enhance a gameplay experience. And then where do you apply that technology? Do you want to apply it on current existing hardware or platforms, or do you want to wait for the next platform? And then what's the right gameplay experience with that? There's a host of factors that goes into it, and it's something we're always looking at."

DSi, and New 3DS would like a word with you

Last edited:

Ryu Kaiba

I bought a Switch day one and remember people saying they refuse to buy one because Nintendo would release a Pro model a year later.

Tschumi

I suspect they're kinda smug, in the way they've managed to shuffle their way out of the hardware straightjacket, starting with the gamecube but really taking off with Wii.. and good on them. They've that luxury, no need to interact with the masses and their tflop*, fps and resolution obsessions..

* Tflop still a thing? Or have all involved finally cleared up their vision on them?

I just really wish they'd either confirm or deny the existence of it at this point becuase it's annoying for people like me who want a Switch, but don't wanna get burned when an improved version gets announced shortly after purchasing said Switch.
The fact that you are considering a switch, and wouldn’t buy one now if a pro is coming soon, is exactly why they won’t confirm the existence of it.

they don’t want to slow sales. I imagine the gap between announce and release will be very tight.

Fredrik

Switch launched in 2017. I’m thinking they’ll start a new generation next year when Switch turn 5. It’s time. They’ll release BOTW2 as a Switch + new console launch title and they’ll make sure Metroid Prime 4 isn’t held back by weak hardware by making it exclusive to the new console. This E3 hinted that their big teams aren’t working on Switch games anymore, what they showed looked like B-team efforts to not leave the release schedule completely blank.

Last edited:

kingpotato

Ask me about my Stream Deck
I'll buy it whatever it is. Never regretted a Nintendo device purchase yet. (Full disclosure: I never bought the WiiU, original model of the DS or the Virtual Boy).

I actually hope they continue with the unified mobile+home console design.

Zannegan

So, we're getting new hardware in the fall, but not a pro.

Watch them put an OLED Lite out in March 2022, a Pro out in November 2022, and a successor out March 2023 then shadowdrop Zelda in June just so we can all be right/wrong together. Lol.

that switch 4k is nintendo's next gen console. im actually glad nintendo didnt do a mid gen refresh. it means everyone has the same experience. it would have been annoying if you wanted to play the best version of breath of the wild 2 you would have to fork out another £300 for an upgraded console too. just give us a proper upgrade in 2023 instead.

S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
Proper Switch 2 will release in 2023. Maybe with Zelda as a launch title.
With the release of the Switch 2, they will continue to support the Switch 1. They reduce the price and continue to release games on it.
The system will be 100% BC to the Switch 1, and similar to how it was with the GameboyColor, a select few of the new games will also run on the original Switch (mostly indies). Switch 1 game will run better on Switch 2. The new dock is capable of running the games in 4k. The handheld outputs in 1080p. Joy-Cons and most of the periphery will be BC. Metroid Prime 4 is a launch title.

At least one of those has to be correct...

Top Bottom