• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GameSpot: Call Of Duty Should Be Afraid Of Battlefield Again

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Modern Warfare 2019 attracted lapsed Battlefield players but now with the problematic integration and takeover of Call Of Duty by Cold War, it’s time to see if the door is open for Battlefield 6 to take the big team battle crown back.

Modern Warfare 2019 attracted lapsed Battlefield players by breaking from Call Of Duty’s formula using mil-sim-inspired weapon handling, big team battle modes, and Warzone. Modern Warfare executed on an extensive year-long content plan that included new weapons, special events, and experimental modes. That all ended around the time Call Of Duty: Black Ops Cold War launched and took over the season pass, buried Modern Warfare in Warzone’s launcher, dumped around 30 weapons into Warzone, created balance issues, and gave Modern Warfare players rewards for a game they might not own. Recent investor calls by both Activision and EA have confirmed new Call of Duty and Battlefield games targeted to release in late 2021. Not only that, but Battlefield 6 is being worked on by DICE LA, now run by Vince Zampella, an original Call of Duty developer.

In this video, Aaron and Richie talk about what was so groundbreaking about Modern Warfare, why Battlefield fans loved it, and what made them leave Battlefield in the first place. This video also looks at the studios rumored to be developing both games and what advantages they might have over each other.

The next Call of Duty and Battlefield titles are targeted to release in 2021. Battlefield 6 will have a reveal this spring. No further information has been announced on the next Call Of Duty game, however, initial trailers often drop in April or May.

Such a big disappointment in integrating Cold War crap into warzone. Modern warfare got desecrated by activisions decision to merge Cold War into warzone. If battlefield 6 turns out to be as good as BF4, obviously people will jump back into BF such as myself. I say this after having spent 1450 hours in BF4 on PS4 and 950hours into warzone on PS4

MDSLKTR

Reaching BF3 levels of hype, I think COD will lose a lot of mindshare this year.
Such a big disappointment in integrating Cold War crap into warzone. Modern warfare got desecrated by activisions decision to merge Cold War into warzone. If battlefield 6 turns out to be as good as BF4, obviously people will jump back into BF such as myself. I say this after having spent 1450 hours in BF4 on PS4 and 950hours into warzone on PS4
Agreed, I'm sure Infinity Ward was thrilled to see their game used as a stepping stone. Just hope they decentralize MW2019 from warzone with the next rumored map and keep it on legacy support... even the goddamn icons and splashscreens are CW crap.

VN1X

Banned
Meanwhile Activision (for better or worse) are laughing all the way to the bank. Every year they seem to set new records with the CoD franchise, something DICE/EA can only dream of.

I mean I love both franchises and played almost every entry of these series but EA have really squandered the potential of the Battlefield franchise. It's not exactly hard to outdo CoD either as even those these games are very polished and exciting they do sometimes take 2 steps back compared to previous outings. In any case if there ever was a time for Battlefield to reign supreme again then it certainly seems like this year will be the year to do it.

Last edited:

Kokoloko85

No.
Everyone shat On Infinite warfare and EA loved it, but it was a better game than battlefield one...
They both have there fans, COD has more. It has nothing to fear

SantaC

No.
Everyone shat On Infinite warfare and EA loved it, but it was a better game than battlefield one...
They both have there fans, COD has more. It has nothing to fear
Pretty sure that Battlefield 1 was better multiplayer than IW.

Same for BF3 vs MW3 which was a huge rivalry.

maxresdefault.jpg

Last edited:

Kokoloko85

Pretty sure that Battlefield 1 was better multiplayer than IW.

Same for BF3 vs MW3 which was a huge rivalry.

Multiplayer wise I feel they are really different to each other. I both do what they do great
Campaign wise Battlefield is not close

Kokoloko85

Yeah campaign is not close, battlefield should drop it altogether, but i guess somw people will whine about the pricetag then.
I did enjoy Battlefield 1 and V campaigns but yeah most Cods do a better job.
Your right Probably price tag. EA not willing to cut price lol

Don’t agree with this.

As a Battlefield fan, Battlefield has an uphill battle to win me back.

Battlefield V was a mess, not because of dumb hur hur women soldiers or whatever losers complain about. It was a disaster because of how terrible the maps were, how lame the whole battle pass season shit was, the piss poor weapon and character customization, the lazy unenthusiastic depiction of WW2 was, and so on.

I hear talk of another Battle Royale. That does nothing for me. I hear talk of bigger scale. That does nothing for me. If I hear talk about esports well I’d be scared. BF is not an esports.

I haven’t hear about how they are evolving conquest. What the approach to level design will be to make maps exciting and not boring meat grinders. How weapon customization is going to be involved and full of options. How vehicles won’t be this lame thoughtless additions like they felt in V.

BF has a lot to make up for.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
They are such different games and I believe the sales speak for themselves. People prefer CoD but that doesn't mean BF is somehow trialing behind and losing a war that only fanboys care about.

This if you're not first you're last mentality is pretty petty and naive.

tusharngf

i have played cod4 mp a lot then i jumped to bf3 and bf4... thats it. May checkout bf6 if it offers same experience.

Activision has never been afraid of Battlefield, not even when Battlefield 1 was shown, since WWII outsold basically every Battlefield ever the year after.

ZywyPL

Banned

I'm all into modern/near feature settings, so if CoD will really be about WW2 once again while BF sets for the rumored 2030 it could win me over, but only if done right - if there will be lasers, plasma guns, energy shields etc. then it's a no-go for me as well, keep those kind of stuff for Battlefront series. Also determined by how far with #EveryonesBattlefield DICE will try to go this time around ;)

Hezekiah

Banned
COD wil continue to sell more, but Battlefield will almost definitely be the more well-rounded game. Looking forward to the new setting for BF6, bored of WWII at this point.

Umbasaborne

Banned
I love the succint-ness of that thumbnail. Call of duty bad battlefield good. Now i dont need to watch the video before i go and reeeeeee at someone in the comments who likes a game that i dont

Buhaj

Sorry, what do you mean by Cold War getting integrated into Warzone? I prefer BF myself, but that's interesting.

Matt_Fox

Thumbs up for Battlefield, thumbs down for COD. That Youtube video really must have been made by a time traveller considering neither game has showed so much as a screenshot thus far...

Clickbait nonsense.

Sony

Nintendo
Sorry, what do you mean by Cold War getting integrated into Warzone? I prefer BF myself, but that's interesting.

It means that Warzone is the hub that ties Cold War and Modern Warfare together.
And it sucks. It means that characters and weapon progression will carry over from Cold War to Warzone.
The reason why it sucks is that Cold War weapons that get introduced to Warzone completely fuck over Warzone balance.
Modern Warfare version of weapons and Cold War version of weapons can co-exist. For example, Warzone has its 'own' AUG, but they also carried of the Cold War AUG to warzone, which is broken, comparably to how the DMR was broken.

I think Activision are going for a Master Chief Collection style integration of Cod games and the balancing is terrible.

Thumbs up for Battlefield, thumbs down for COD. That Youtube video really must have been made by a time traveller considering neither game has showed so much as a screenshot thus far...

Clickbait nonsense.
Especially Battlefield. I mean, we all know pretty much what we’re gonna get from yearly CoD. But this made up hype about next BF is bizarre. We haven’t seen a peep so far, only rumors and hearsay. And, most importantly, their reputation after BFV is in tatters (as is EA‘s overall). But we should all be blindly hyped because....why?

Please, give me a break.

Alright

Banned
COD should be afraid of COD. It's trying to be too much at once and lacks direction of any real kind.

What made MW2 so fun was the map design, simplicity and replay-ability. You all unlocked guns at a steady rate of progression, no MTX, P2W or season content was needed to keep it fun and engaging. It was an adrenaline filled dopamine rush that Acti have long since forgotten how to do, or worse, don't care about any more because their dross is working and lootboxes are filling the coffers.

They'll have their pants pulled down in no time though, same with BF. A new competitor always comes and shakes up the genre.

Who'd have thunk that Tony Hawks skating games would be dethroned? Yet skate happened. PES and Fifa, Football manager vs champ manager etc etc etc

COD should be afraid of COD. It's trying to be too much at once and lacks direction of any real kind.

What made MW2 so fun was the map design, simplicity and replay-ability. You all unlocked guns at a steady rate of progression, no MTX, P2W or season content was needed to keep it fun and engaging. It was an adrenaline filled dopamine rush that Acti have long since forgotten how to do, or worse, don't care about any more because their dross is working and lootboxes are filling the coffers.

They'll have their pants pulled down in no time though, same with BF. A new competitor always comes and shakes up the genre.

Who'd have thunk that Tony Hawks skating games would be dethroned? Yet skate happened. PES and Fifa, Football manager vs champ manager etc etc etc

Honestly, where can they even take the franchise from here? Everything that can be done was already done. We played the COD formula 100x times now. Yet despite everything they pump out, nothing comes close to the glory days (Cod MW to black ops 1). It’s all fugazi at this point

ZywyPL

Banned
Honestly, where can they even take the franchise from here? Everything that can be done was already done. We played the COD formula 100x times now. Yet despite everything they pump out, nothing comes close to the glory days (Cod MW to black ops 1). It’s all fugazi at this point

There are always kids out there who are too young to put their hands on games like CoD or GTA, so once allowed they immediately jump onto the bandwagon. So for every "old dog" who has enough of the series already, who has seen every possible setting, there's always a youngster who plays the series for the very first time. And the cycle repeats year after year.

There are always kids out there who are too young to put their hands on games like CoD or GTA, so once allowed they immediately jump onto the bandwagon. So for every "old dog" who has enough of the series already, who has seen every possible setting, there's always a youngster who plays the series for the very first time. And the cycle repeats year after year.
Good point. Honestly a World at War remake seems like the best thing they can do.

jaysius

Banned
Lets see gameplay and an ACTUAL beta from BF6 in the time the beta SHOULD take place like 6 months or MORE before it's release date before we start talking about it killing a COD game.

Alright

Banned
Simple, they go backwards and back to simplicity. Spring boarded by a remake of MW2 multiplayer. They won't, because they can't sell MTX but this is the box they've put themselves in.

I recall battlefield 4, the series was great and for a while it seemed like they were gonna replace COD going into the next generation... Then they did the police thing and we all moved on.

Bragr

Banned
Battlefield was brilliant early on, remember 1942 and Battlefield 2? Battlefield Vietnam? jesus that was awesome, legendary times for PC shooter fans.

These latest Battlefields are already 3 steps behind when they launch.

Top Bottom