• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GameSpot: 7 Reasons Call Of Duty Zombies Is Great

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

For more than 13 years, Call of Duty's Zombies has been a fan-favorite game mode. Let's find out what the series has done right to make this possible.

Call of Duty's Zombies mode has been around for almost as long as the series entirely. Dating back to 2008's Call of Duty: World at War, the side mode (that almost wasn't) took over and became a phenomenon over night. In this video, Richie Bracamonte explains why the series is so fun and the reasons why it's so great.

From humble beginnings, to the sprawling multiverse it has become, Zombies mode has had many successful staples of gameplay that have helped it succeed for more than 10 years. These include gameplay mechanics like perks, wonder weapons and the hunt for the illustrious Easter eggs. As the years went on, more and more secrets were uncovered that led to a grand story. Across multiple titles through the Black Ops series, we saw strong character development and several additions to the mode that only made for a stronger experience.

Today, Zombies mode is still going strong. New maps are regularly added, as well as new modes and ways to play. The story continues to expand on a seasonal basis, and fans are still chomping at the bit for more content just like they were in 2008.

ManaByte

Gold Member
Clickbait lists?
what year is it GIF

Cravis

Having George Romero as the boss of Call of the Dead was a stroke of genius.

Love all the horror genre celebrities they’ve gotten over the years to portray the main characters.

Aldynes

Never liked that mode.
You're not alone, the thing is I really wanted to enjoy this with the first Black Ops, it was right up my alley (zombies, arcade style fps) but after 10 minutes I figured out the ennemies HP scale the more rounds you clear, I hate this type of design,they could've include more ennemy types, or at least use color swap but no.
It ruined the consistency in the gameplay, do a zombie need 2,3 ...10 shots? By the time you figured it out the game change the rules, now it's 15! There's a reason other games that uses scaling often display life bars or damage dealt with numbers.

But wait ! This is supposed to be a scary experience, we can't have life bars or flashy numbers flying everywhere that would be less immersive!
So what? Is it a problem if everything is just less predictable, if it's not "precise" enough for you? YES it matter a lot in this situation, you got no room for error there, the levels are cramped, everything is narrow, obstacles everywhere, you can't avoid encounters for too long the zombies will overwhelm you, it's a survival game you got 1 chance and they hit hard and fast, 2 or 3 hits and you're dead, most of the time you can't even react quickly enough to avoid the fatal second hit, add cryptic/hidden requirements to progress and use basic mechanics like mandatory upgrades for your guns...kudos for the fans of this mode you have my respect.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
You're not alone, the thing is I really wanted to enjoy this with the first Black Ops, it was right up my alley (zombies, arcade style fps) but after 10 minutes I figured out the ennemies HP scale the more rounds you clear, I hate this type of design,they could've include more ennemy types, or at least use color swap but no.
It ruined the consistency in the gameplay, do a zombie need 2,3 ...10 shots? By the time you figured it out the game change the rules, now it's 15! There's a reason other games that uses scaling often display life bars or damage dealt with numbers.

But wait ! This is supposed to be a scary experience, we can't have life bars or flashy numbers flying everywhere that would be less immersive!
So what? Is it a problem if everything is just less predictable, if it's not "precise" enough for you? YES it matter a lot in this situation, you got no room for error there, the levels are cramped, everything is narrow, obstacles everywhere, you can't avoid encounters for too long the zombies will overwhelm you, it's a survival game you got 1 chance and they hit hard and fast, 2 or 3 hits and you're dead, most of the time you can't even react quickly enough to avoid the fatal second hit, add cryptic/hidden requirements to progress and use basic mechanics like mandatory upgrades for your guns...kudos for the fans of this mode you have my respect.
All your points are fixed in cold war 🙂
I used to say the same

kikkis

I would love L4D style zombie mode in COD. Current one is just confusing, difficulty balancing sucks and core mechanics would need some customization specifically for zombies.

Top Bottom