• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gamesindusty.biz: Biggest announced Xbox exclusives are years away

Umbasaborne

Banned
Thank you. I’m doing the job that no one wants to do because their too afraid to call you people out. It’s been my pleasure.
Wow, how brave of you. Microsoft is incredibly grateful for all the hard work you are doing to defend their brand. Some people might call you an idiot but dont worry, i see you for the brave microsoft defending champion you really are. If you keep this up, maybe uncle phil will finally notice you! It takes a real nerve of steel to so adamantly defend your favorite box

NickFire

Or, you could just...wait until the game gets its release date announced and subscribe for a small period at the time it's released? If you're that particular about wanting to play just that game, anyhow.

Also in Microsoft's case 1P content doesn't rotate out of GamePass, you can still buy the game (with a discount even) while it's in GamePass and you very likely won't need to worry about having a physical copy that becomes effectively bricked in several years due to a CMOS & server backdoor DRM built into the system (who's to say PS5 doesn't have the same CMOS & online verify check-in scheme the PS4's turned out to have?)....and you save some bucks in the long run or can use the freed-up bucks to spend on other content, maybe even for the specific game itself.

Unless we're talking about old-school systems (anything pre-7th gen), the pro-physical argument more or less dies and the majority of gamers seem to agree and will keep agreeing in larger numbers as time goes on. You don't even really "own" these games anymore even if you spend the $70 so why feel like you do?
I'm not talking about physical verse digital. I'm just talking about what I would spend buying the couple games I would actually play, verse the cost of the alternative to buying. And waiting is less of an option than it was in December because of the aborted gold price hike. Based on that I assume the cost will be going back up at some point.

Trimesh

Banned
Wow, how brave of you. Microsoft is incredibly grateful for all the hard work you are doing to defend their brand. Some people might call you an idiot but dont worry, i see you for the brave microsoft defending champion you really are. If you keep this up, maybe uncle phil will finally notice you! It takes a real nerve of steel to so adamantly defend your favorite box

I guess you entirely miss the irony of making a comment like that while using a picture of a PS5 as your avatar?

Umbasaborne

Banned
I guess you entirely miss the irony of making a comment like that while using a picture of a PS5 as your avatar?
I just like the way the console looks alot, and im a big souls fan. I play much more xbox than i do playstation. And ive been ragging on sony plenty latley for the garbage jim ryan is pulling

Derktron

Banned
Ohh look how cute you are to assume that I’m a fanboy of Microsoft. I’m not 30 year old or 40 year old man who still fights over a plastic box like yourself. I don’t lick the boot. I criticize everyone. But again continue with the BS.

KingT731

No you didn't. You posted vague numbers with no context. Unless you have solid Halo 5 sales numbers (which you don't), your claims are - at best - guesswork.

Everything suggests that Halo 5 sold around 9-10 million copies. Outsold by Horizon? Possible. GoT? Not a chance in hell, and we both know that.
HZD was over 10M as of Feb 2019. Ghost of Tsushima 6.5M As of March 2021.

tmlDan

Xbox is a better position even with delays. Halo finite, stalker 2 are massive AAA titles. Starfield would mean even a bigger year for Xbox since its RPG with a space/war/exploration theme coming from the makers of Skyrim and Fallout. Sony needs a new Horizon Zero dawn to come out this year or they be blown away.

Deathloop looks like an AA title, it's doubtful it have same impact, but you never know!
huh? excuse me lol

Isn't Stalker relatively niche - it sold what? 2 million copies? I bet you Deathloop has better sales than that.

you're pretty confident in Xbox when they haven't released a good game in like, what, 5 years?

Hezekiah

Banned
You mean download
Yeah that's what I was thinking.

With GamePass supposedly offering great value, and Battlefield 6 and COD 2021 coming out later this year - I expect both to comfortably outsell Halo - I don't expect Halo sales to be that high.

Haven't Halo sales been in decline for a while now?

John Wick

completely false. Halo, Hellblade and Forza are a thing this is not counting the second party exclusives (which will be there)
OK your right all top MS exclusives are releasing before 2022.
Halo already known and delayed upto a year.
Let me know when they show actual gameplay and not CG.

Alright

Banned
In all seriousness though, when are Obsidian making KOTOR 3 and remastering the classic Fallout's?

Do either of them, and Microsoft win the generation.

I'm not talking about physical verse digital. I'm just talking about what I would spend buying the couple games I would actually play, verse the cost of the alternative to buying. And waiting is less of an option than it was in December because of the aborted gold price hike. Based on that I assume the cost will be going back up at some point.
But until that actually happens then you can't say it's something pertinent to GamePass at the moment or in the near-future; I think MS learned their lesson with the aborted Gold price hike and are finding other ways to increase GP's value proposition in relation to Gold that don't involve a 2x price hike.

Now, will GamePass subscription costs go up? That's possible. But again, I think they'll just figure out other alternatives. Maybe replicate the VOD setup for certain releases into GP for Day 1 access similar to how other streaming services are doing it (but at hopefully much fairer costs; they should maybe model off the BlockBuster/Hollywood Video style system for that part for say $5 or $10 a month for specific titles for the first month or two before they're released into the general GamePass catalog as part of the regular subscription price, that could possibly be a viable alternative).

Again, if you just wait until the time of release for the games you actually want to play, you can probably play them in the span of a month or so, and still save a lot more money that way vs. buying outright, plus you get "free" access to other games you might venture to try randomly and even enjoy some of them, that comes as part of having the subscription. IIRC they don't lock you into a phone-style contract with GamePass so you can drop in/out of your sub as you'd like. Even in the case you decide you want to buy the game, if it's on GamePass you can buy it for a lower price than you potentially could on another platform.

I really don't see any complications with using GamePass in this manner or how just buying the game outright at launch is better value if you only play a select few titles, considering even games you purchase in full these days have functions which cease when the servers go offline (and in some extreme cases, the game may not boot if it can't be verified through some battery back-up and online check, even if it's a completely offline game, in the case of systems like PS3 & PS4).

DeepSpace5D

Bethesda has a track record of waiting and then blowing it out with game play. Fallout 4, Fallout 76, Doom, Doom Eternal, Wolfentstein 2 all followed this cycle.

Yes covid could throw a wrench into things. But it very well could have a short reveal to release launch cycle.
Ya I acknowledged that and I stated I remembered Fallout 4 having a relatively short time between reveal and release. I’m not sure exactly how much time there was in between reveal and release for Fallout 76, Doom, Doom Eternal, and Wolfenstein 2 though. Did they all have just a few months in between reveal and release date?

It just feels very unlikely that a game on the scale of Starfield releases this year with almost every game development seeing the impacts of Covid. I’m sure June will be the time we’ll found out though.

Edit: I did a little digging on those other titles you mentioned and it doesn’t seem like they released so quickly from their reveal as you mentioned. Doom Eternal was first announced at E3 2018 and unveiled at Quakecon 2018, but did not release until March 2020.

The 2016 entry of Doom was actually announced all the way back at Quakecon 2007 and in 2013 Kotaku described it as trapped in “development hell”. Seems like it took a very long time from reveal to actual release for that one. It looks like they scrapped the whole thing and started fresh sometime in 2011 but that is still a very long timeframe.

Wolfenstein 2 was originally revealed at Bethesda’s E3 press conference in 2016, and then was released October 2017, so approximately 16 months from reveal to release there.

Fallout 76 fits your description as it was revealed in May 2018 and then released in November 2018, but lets be honest that game should NOT have released at the date it did considering its myriad of technical issues at launch. It pretty much released in a beta state.

Last edited:

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Ya I acknowledged that and I stated I remembered Fallout 4 having a relatively short time between reveal and release. I’m not sure exactly how much time there was in between reveal and release for Fallout 76, Doom, Doom Eternal, and Wolfenstein 2 though. Did they all have just a few months in between reveal and release date?

It just feels very unlikely that a game on the scale of Starfield releases this year with almost every game development seeing the impacts of Covid. I’m sure June will be the time we’ll found out though.

Doom had 10 months from reveal to release. Eternal was going to be shorter, but it did get delayed out of it's regular November release window.

Wolfenstein and 76 both had 4 month reveal to release.

But they all only had one blow out of game play then release. They never showed game play till it was in the final stretch of development. Eternal you could make the argument doesn't count but their intentions were similar.

I could be wrong but wolfenstein young blood had a very similar reveal to release as well if my memory serves me right.

I don't think they will falter form that strategy as it's done well for them. They don't like very long hype cycles anymore it seems. I'm not saying covid didn't impact it but it's been in development far longer than most games that were hit by covid.

Edit: Youngblood reveal was in 2018 but gameplay was in 2019 and released 2 months later.

Last edited:

DeepSpace5D

Doom had 10 months from reveal to release. Eternal was going to be shorter, but it did get delayed out of it's regular November release window.

Wolfenstein and 76 both had 4 month reveal to release.

But they all only had one blow out of game play then release. They never showed game play till it was in the final stretch of development. Eternal you could make the argument doesn't count but their intentions were similar.

I could be wrong but wolfenstein young blood had a very similar reveal to release as well if my memory serves me right.

I don't think they will falter form that strategy as it's done well for them. They don't like very long hype cycles anymore it seems. I'm not saying covid didn't impact it but it's been in development far longer than most games that were hit by covid.

Edit: Youngblood reveal was in 2018 but gameplay was in 2019 and released 2 months later.
Check my edit and tell me if you disagree with those timeframes. Those were the windows between reveal and release that I found online. Let me know if you see innaccuracies.

Last edited:

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Check my edit and tell me if you disagree with those timeframes. Those were the windows between reveal and release that I found online. Let me know if you see innaccuracies.

I think the discrepancy is from reveal of the game and the reveal of the game play. Probably should have specified that. Dishonored 2 follows the same path as well.

Doom 2016 is not the same game that announced years and years ago. That game was scrapped. They did announce a new Doom was coming before Wolfenstein New Order hit because they gave away the beta with copies. But the game wasn't unveiled to the public til the e3 before it hit. A very early version was shown to quakecon but not to the public.(amazingly not a single screen or video leaked from this event)

I guess I just don't consider them a reveal until they have shown the game because they are usually pretty open about what they are doing. I mean they already revealed ES6 technically and that game is likely 5 years off still.

DeepSpace5D

I think the discrepancy is from reveal of the game and the reveal of the game play. Probably should have specified that. Dishonored 2 follows the same path as well.

Doom 2016 is not the same game that announced years and years ago. That game was scrapped. They did announce a new Doom was coming before Wolfenstein New Order hit because they gave away the beta with copies. But the game wasn't unveiled to the public til the e3 before it hit. A very early version was shown to quakecon but not to the public.(amazingly not a single screen or video leaked from this event)

I guess I just don't consider them a reveal until they have shown the game because they are usually pretty open about what they are doing. I mean they already revealed ES6 technically and that game is likely 5 years off still.
That’s fair and I understand your point. And I did bring up originally about Starfield not having shown gameplay yet so perhaps that is the best way to measure with the first date of gameplay reveal to release date.

Regardless I am excited for Starfield and I think it would be pretty impressive if they could get it out this year despite Covid. Do you think it would release on only console Gamepass or PC Gamepass as well?

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
That’s fair and I understand your point. And I did bring up originally about Starfield not having shown gameplay yet so perhaps that is the best way to measure with the first date of gameplay reveal to release date.

Regardless I am excited for Starfield and I think it would be pretty impressive if they could get it out this year despite Covid. Do you think it would release on only console Gamepass or PC Gamepass as well?
I want to be excited about starfield but bethesdas engine and design feel dated to me. Id like to see them really overhaul the design of the quests and world to make them feel more cohesive. I can deal with some jank animations and such but Id like to see those overhauled as well

It'll be on both Gamepass for Xbox and PC.

jhjfss

I want to be excited about starfield but bethesdas engine and design feel dated to me. Id like to see them really overhaul the design of the quests and world to make them feel more cohesive. I can deal with some jank animations and such but Id like to see those overhauled as well

It'll be on both Gamepass for Xbox and PC.
They already confirmed they made the biggest overhaul since the engine upgrade from morrowind to oblivion.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
They already confirmed they made the biggest overhaul since the engine upgrade from morrowind to oblivion.
Bethesda claims a lot of things. Live every developer does trying to sell a product. Proof is in the pudding.

"It just works"
-Todd Howard

For some reason this is hard to believe. 2022 has to be the year MS hits everyone with big games.
It kind of is, especially considering the Starfield 2021 copyright filing and Halo Infinite still on track for this year. Some of the games listed, like Avowed, I figure most were already speculating 2024 for. Everwild slipping into 2023 would be unfortunate, but not really a "delay" since a release date has never been provided and some of us just assumed it'd be 2022.

In any case as long as Scorn, BM Infinite, Exo-Mecha, The Ascent, Halo Infinite and potentially Starfield come this year that alone will be very good for me. Anything else would be a welcomed surprise. Outside of Forza and potentially Everwild though I am certainly curious of their 2022 as it looks like Sony will at least have Ragnarok (if it gets delayed, which seems likely...though it was never given a date beyond super-vague "Winter 2021") and potentially Horizon Forbidden West (if it gets pushed into 2022).

Papacheeks

Banned
It kind of is, especially considering the Starfield 2021 copyright filing and Halo Infinite still on track for this year. Some of the games listed, like Avowed, I figure most were already speculating 2024 for. Everwild slipping into 2023 would be unfortunate, but not really a "delay" since a release date has never been provided and some of us just assumed it'd be 2022.

In any case as long as Scorn, BM Infinite, Exo-Mecha, The Ascent, Halo Infinite and potentially Starfield come this year that alone will be very good for me. Anything else would be a welcomed surprise. Outside of Forza and potentially Everwild though I am certainly curious of their 2022 as it looks like Sony will at least have Ragnarok (if it gets delayed, which seems likely...though it was never given a date beyond super-vague "Winter 2021") and potentially Horizon Forbidden West (if it gets pushed into 2022).

Sony has more than Ragnorok for 2022.

A lot of games announced last year like Stray will more than likely be 2022 titles. And there's a bunch left that Sony hasn't shown yet. Sony is only showing games closer to release from now on. They like to show off 6-12 months ahead instead of something that is another 2 -3 years out from release.

Sony has more than Ragnorok for 2022.

A lot of games announced last year like Stray will more than likely be 2022 titles. And there's a bunch left that Sony hasn't shown yet. Sony is only showing games closer to release from now on. They like to show off 6-12 months ahead instead of something that is another 2 -3 years out from release.
Yeah, I know they have more than Ragnarok. Was just thinking of big-name 1P titles already announced. Bringing 3P console exclusives or timed exclusives into the mix they also have FF XVI and IIRC Forespoken, and Ghostwire Tokyo.

To that end I also probably didn't mention some things from MS 1P and timed/console exclusive 3P titles, plus there's insiders saying several games haven't been announced yet on their end. On both fronts we should start seeing more for 2022 releases starting with E3.

Top Bottom