• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gamesindusty.biz: Biggest announced Xbox exclusives are years away

Alright

Banned
There hasn't been a console that launches with its full library day one. I can never really understand how people get so laser focused and so quick to make judgements on a console's library just when its launched. The first year is never the year that most big games come out anyway. So to say they should have delayed the consoles makes no sense to me. You need to get the consoles out before you can plan out its content releases. Sony had a good variety of games to launch with (Demons, Sackboy, Spider, Astro) and Microsoft also launched The Medium pretty early on. They both are backwards compatible with the previous gen and MS goes even further than last gen and again there are third party games as well.

Most people who get these consoles at launch are enthusiasts anyway. We would have got both systems even if they launched with nothing.
Don't worry i fully understand that. I've been old enough to remember four and a half generations worth of quite launch windows (the half is for when the OG Xbox dropped mid-way through a gen). They are always quiet and stuffed with cross-gen games. PS4 and Xbone was no exception really. I was told The Medium isn't BC?

I'm an enthusiast and this is the first generation since PSX where i haven't picked up at least one console at launch.

The reason i said delay the gen wasn't because of 'a lack of games', but because of the production shortages - which always happen- made a lot worse by Covid and the TSMC production schedule being full. IF these delays aren't rectified in the 12~ months from launch, like normal (except the Wii) then I wonder what knock-on effect it will have for the rest of the generation. Combine all of this with the X1X and PS4Pro still being handy little devices, was there a 'need' for consoles to be launched in November with the environment what it was.

Contrast this with the long-af gen of the 360, where both companies waited for technology/the recession to end, before releasing and it gives me pause for thought.

With both companies launching 2 SKU's of consoles, the radio silence of Sony and deafening PR of Microsoft, i do wonder if either company was 100% sure how the next 12 months would

sainraja

Don't worry i fully understand that. I've been old enough to remember four and a half generations worth of quite launch windows (the half is for when the OG Xbox dropped mid-way through a gen). They are always quiet and stuffed with cross-gen games. PS4 and Xbone was no exception really. I was told The Medium isn't BC?

I'm an enthusiast and this is the first generation since PSX where i haven't picked up at least one console at launch.

The reason i said delay the gen wasn't because of 'a lack of games', but because of the production shortages - which always happen- made a lot worse by Covid and the TSMC production schedule being full. IF these delays aren't rectified in the 12~ months from launch, like normal (except the Wii) then I wonder what knock-on effect it will have for the rest of the generation. Combine all of this with the X1X and PS4Pro still being handy little devices, was there a 'need' for consoles to be launched in November with the environment what it was.

Contrast this with the long-af gen of the 360, where both companies waited for technology/the recession to end, before releasing and it gives me pause for thought.

With both companies launching 2 SKU's of consoles, the radio silence of Sony and deafening PR of Microsoft, i do wonder if either company was 100% sure how the next 12 months would
The Medium isn't playable on previous generation Xbox Ones. But I was saying it is a launch time exclusive for Microsoft.

Last edited:

Jaysen

Banned
Awww you upset because your favourite franchise is no longer relevant.
My favorite franchise is definitely no longer relevant. But it's called Tetris Attack. Still doesn't change how epically stupid your statements are. I'm sure the corporation you wished would teabag you appreciates your fealty.

Last edited:

Zoro7

Banned
My favorite franchise is definitely no longer relevant. But it's called Tetris Attack. Still doesn't change how epically stupid your statements are. I'm sure the corporation you wished would teabag you appreciates your fealty.
Don’t be sad. I’m sure Tetris and Halo will make a comeback at some point.

Hezekiah

Banned
The amount of cope in this thread 😁.

It was obvious that these games were years away. Hellblade and Avowed are another couple that won't be out until late 2023.

Part of the reason MS are pushing people to playing old games. They will be delighted how some people have reacted to their backward compatibility work, but in reality most gamers arent interested in spending a significant amount of time playing old games.

tr1p1ex

true next gen games always take ~2 years to start trickling in. The pandemic will only make that take even longer.

Last edited:
Making games is time consuming process, ms should jave invested many years ago, but it is what it is, if they had the games ready this next year, with sony troubles, they would have really made a dent. But with games 3-4 years away, it gives sony breathing room,

MS did the way you and others act is like that's all the games they have in development. 2022/3 isn't that far away. I would think or hope that Halo Infinite, Forza Horizon 4, Pyschonauts2, Hellblade 2, Forza 8, Starfield will come out over the next year.

Last edited:

JORMBO

Darkness no more
Yeah for mass audiences, but these aren't the games that'll make core forums buy a SX.

I'd buy a Series X faster for a Alan Wake Remake or a Fable Reboot that a shitty Halo game that will be crushed by Battlefield 6, Fortnite, Warzone, next Call of Duty & Apex later in the year. Will be probably forgotten within 3 months.

Halo is done, 343 doesn't get it & neither did Bungie since Reach online was hot garbage, 9 maps like seriously? DMR bloom was also a horrible decision.

Look i was a Halo head & I left, the ship has sailed long ago.
Not sure I understand what you are getting at. What is “core forums”? Places like Neogaf? I doubt these places even slightly register to companies.

I think Halo is going to sell decently. It’s not going to replace Fornite or whatever, but they don’t need it to. Starfield will push a ton of consoles. Look at how popular Skyrim has been.

There is no way an Alan Wake remake is going to come anywhere close to Halo or Starfield when it comes to pushing consoles :messenger_grinning_smiling:

MS seems to not be good at managing software. At hardware they are good. This is why they are pushing Game Pass so much. There are no new games, so the focus is on playing old games well. At the moment it is basically an emulation box.

Journos are fanbois too and their job is to be product pushers. Half the time they just regurgitate press releases. This is why we see this idiotic "Are blockbuster games bad?" takes.

MS didn't invest in getting studios early enough which is why they have this problem now but Game pass does a decent job of leveling everything out until Sony starts releasing their exclusives.

I really hope Halo infinite is worth the wait .....

What is presently unknown is Bethesda ready to show and release Starfield late 2021?

Xbox will be fine with Crossfire X, Stalker 2, Halo and potentially Starfield all coming in hot after the summer. Since there all exclusives, the impact of delays will not be a big deal.

Microsoft has to show advancement with development at E3 though, CGI bull needs to stop. Some gameplay even if its short one showing off fable and Perfect dark at E3
Starfield likely isn't coming this year and Stalker 2 i s only timed exclusive and it isn't a big deal to most players anyway.

Clickbait? They only planned to have Halo Infinite from late 2020 to late 2023?
I’m gonna hit X for doubt here.
As far as AAA it's probably correct, most of those studios they bought in 2019 were AA studios at best and not doing well financially either, some also had games they were contractually obligated to finish so they didn't start work on xbox exclusive games right away either. Playground's second team was still staffing up last year so Fable is likely at least 2 years away if not longer. We all know Bethesda takes forever and they've been overhauling the engine like crazy so that's likely going to keep starfield out of this year. That's probably the reason MS is rumored to have paid to get Battlefield 6 on GP at launch even though they have their own FPS MP game in Halo coming around the same time.

It looks like MS did the whole thing backwards, they bought studios to feed GP with content after GP was already a thing, they should have purchased these studios and had games ready to go to keep the service with a steady flow of new content from the start. I just hope for the people who live and breathe xbox that they don't start launching most of their games the way they did sea of thieves, devoid of content and dragging out content releases for it just to keep people paying their monthly subscriptions.

yazenov

Reminds me of this gem of a photo:

O4mZJh3.jpg
0p3IjZK.jpg
The boy who cryed wolf

Arkam

As long as they can get a good Forza out by spring (22) and Halo launches this fall to 7/10 reviews (or better), the Xbox faithful will be fine. If you were Xbox only last Gen, this drought is familiar. And now they have GP to lessen the impact. Sucks that the big games are still a ways out and not for me.... but it’s not the end of the world. Just makes going PC or waiting for a Series X “Pro” for MS games a reasonable plan.

Last edited:

yurinka

Timestamped:

Xbox insider Kolbrille chimes in:
  • Everwild :2022
  • Fable :2023
  • Perfect Dark: beyond 2023

As I remember the two Xbox bosses said that during a couple of years or so all their games published for Series would be crossgen (it didn't include Ghostwire Tokyo and Deathloop, was before purchasing Zenimax), which is the case of Halo and what they released until now or Psychonauts 2. These 3 games match that (non crossgen exclusives staring to be released around late 2022), and also match the words from Rare guys several months ago mentioning Everwild was in early stages.

I think Hellblade 2 will be a late 2022 game since it doesn't seem to have XBO version and will run on Unreal Engine 5, which should be available for devs late 2021 (with a preview version coming sooner). I think the next Forza can be a H2 2022 game too.

But I think they can release Starfield during H2 2021 / H1 2022, even if in this case not sure if will be a full console exclusive or not, or if will have a timed console exclusive in a console or in the other one. I think they could release a crossgen Horizon 5 in 2021 too.

Last edited:

intbal

Hey, JRonald, if you happen to see this*, now that Xbox games are mired in the early stages of multi-year development cycles, you have zero remaining excuses to NOT divert those resources BACK to the BC teams.
Add more OG and 360 games to the BC library and you can have a steady stream of games appearing for your Series consoles (and One/X) for the next couple of years.

(*He only visits REEEEEE, so I have no hope that he'll read my pleas. And I'm already blocked on twitter.)

Banjo64

cumsessed
So it’s sold a metric shit ton on Steam, definitely more than 1-2 million(which it may have cleared in 2 days). Great stuff.

Glad we can all agree what a colossal success MCC is, and continues to be, and what a bench mark it is for collections moving forward.

Fredrik

As far as AAA it's probably correct, most of those studios they bought in 2019 were AA studios at best and not doing well financially either, some also had games they were contractually obligated to finish so they didn't start work on xbox exclusive games right away either. Playground's second team was still staffing up last year so Fable is likely at least 2 years away if not longer. We all know Bethesda takes forever and they've been overhauling the engine like crazy so that's likely going to keep starfield out of this year. That's probably the reason MS is rumored to have paid to get Battlefield 6 on GP at launch even though they have their own FPS MP game in Halo coming around the same time.

It looks like MS did the whole thing backwards, they bought studios to feed GP with content after GP was already a thing, they should have purchased these studios and had games ready to go to keep the service with a steady flow of new content from the start. I just hope for the people who live and breathe xbox that they don't start launching most of their games the way they did sea of thieves, devoid of content and dragging out content releases for it just to keep people paying their monthly subscriptions.
Yeah but the Forza games are very much AAA and I doubt we have to wait 3 years for another Forza. Last game Turn 10 did was released in 2017, the game before that was released in 2015. Last game Playground released was released in 2018, the game before that was released in 2016. Both teams are probably in the final stretch on their next games. I’m guessing FM8 will arrive late this year, FH5 late next year. Maybe Covid can push them away 1 year tops. Still makes this clickbait.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!

don’t get to upset Sony Horzion Zero Dawn sold about 1/4 as well

SaucyJack

So the opposite for Sony?

It's pretty interesting how the two flipped compared to last gen. But Microsoft really needs to get some games out soon once supply starts to pick up.

Flipped in what way? Looks a continuation of business as usual to me, Xbox has not had a strong line up of exclusive games since mid-360. PlayStation has been nothing but consistent.

Top Bottom