• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gamesindusty.biz: Biggest announced Xbox exclusives are years away

MrS

Banned
Even exclusives like STALKER 2 are years away. It's gonna be interesting to see if they've put out anything substantive (i.e. a GOTY quality title) by the end of 2022. We know their slate for 2021 is piss poor - Halo, The Ascent, Flight Sim are the only 3 worth picking up based on what I've seen.

Last edited:

NahaNago

This sounds about right. I have said that xbox would finish the generation strong. With all of the acquistions so recent most of the games would start to come out 2 or 3 years in to the current gen.

Last edited:

Great Hair

Banned
If that's true wtf have they been doing for the last 5 years?
Saving up every penny for studios acquisitions and a visit to the SEGA Headquarters.

japanese anime cooking GIF

Three

If that's true wtf have they been doing for the last 5 years?
Shifting strategy. If and when they need a new big blockbuster for gamepass they can release it and they can take as long as they want. Right now people are paying for gamepass regardless and they are funded by it. People are buying the console regardless.

What good would it be to release the 'free' big game now? They won't and continue to be funded. Same reason why Halo could afford to not make the launch.

On topic ironically the "big games era" was exactly what 360 era Phil was all about.

Take this interview for example:

Q:You mention Sony first-party, and they are sort of renowned for their studio system. You oversee the studios for Microsoft. I guess the knock on 360 is that you don't have as many first-party IP. It is a few select franchises in Halo, Forza and Fable. Gears of War is Xbox-exclusive but is Epic's IP. People say "how come Microsoft is not creating more IP or doing something to bolster the studio system?"

Phil: We have always been about trying to create hits that really push our platform and reach millions of people. I've never looked at our first-party mandate as trying to simply pump out content that only a few select people will go out and buy. If you look at our top franchises in our first-party, they do incredibly well relative to other first-party franchises. If you rank our top four franchises against the other franchises, our top 4 outsell like the top 11 Sony franchises or something like that. In the end, it's about creating something to scale and something that matters.

That's no longer the case because they failed on selling hardware and hence software in the millions. Now their strategy is all about quantity and IPs. Their strategy is now having you play something even if not a huge seller to pay the monthly fee.

Business models change.

Last edited:
Bethesda game studios should offset those long dev times. Starfield is rumored for this year, Wolfenstein team has been working on something and Arkane (Prey team) aswell.

Old Empire.

That position is contingent on games they sign to gamepass moving the needle. Mlb is going to move some xbox units, buts it's not going to be some kind of giant surge. It's going to help in US. Halo is their big game, and whatever they sign. Starfield is the ? Of this conversation.
Stalker 2 according to the devs will be a AAA title with an open world.
Halo finite massive title for Xbox.
According to Grubb Bethesda hoping to have Starfield out in 2021. Be shown at E3.
If the schedule sticks that three AAA titles on Xbox after the Summer. Sony only confirmed one so far.
Plus Crossfire X that will have single player campaign made by Remedy. That should have same level of graphics as Call of Duty.

Last edited:

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Some of these games were in development for 4 years (Everwild started development in 2017), I really doubt it is that far away.
As of last year, Everwild des didn't even know what the gameplay would be like. I'd be very surprised if they release a polished game before 2023.

ToadMan

Because neither MS nor Sony are your friends. People don't realise that every move these companies make are based on their current situation and business plan. At the moment Sony has healthy game sales and they are leaning on sales of next gen games too.

MS and MLB would have struggled to make a dime with MLB on xbox especially as it doesn't have an established fanbase on the console. MLB is one of the biggest earning GaaS sports games. MS and MLB saw that as an opportunity where given that sales are likely to be low anyway they can make GaaS microtransaction money, a perfect fit for gamepass:

After the initial sales on PS5/PS4 you might see it on Plus like MLB 19 or 20 or earlier on PSNow.

Lol. Ok besides a lot of misinformation here I’ll tell you this about MLB.

I’ve bought it every year since 2009 I think.

This year - nope.

I was on the fence anyway because of the Xbox support - SDS going from a single platform to 4 multi-platform releases in a single iteration- sounds like a bad set up. So I was in a wait and see, play OOTP, and to be honest after COViD I have a bit of baseball fatigue because I played Show 20 so much.

Anyway then I saw the Gamepass deal. To me that has made the show zero value on PS. So I’ll wait until I get it for zero. That might be never, that might be when I get an Xbox, but I’m not gonna pay full price or anything like it on PS at this stage.

As it happens a lot of PS MLB players seem to be quite content to proceed as normal and buy it on PS - Sony probably won’t notice any difference. I’m not though - Sony are making bank out of MS, but they have to pass that on to PS gamers in some way.

Day 1, someone who spends $70 on PS5 gets the base game. Someone with Gamepass who spends $70 gets access to the base game and $70 worth of stubs. Given it’s a yearly title, the value of the game purchased is only one year - it’s not like buying a normal AAA game and playing it over years or even on the next round of consoles. This will be superseded soon so one year rental is fine. Effectively everyone is renting this game for a year, but PS users are paying $60/$70 for it vs Gamepass because MS funded it. Nah not me.

The rest of what you posted is inaccurate - sorry ‘bout that. If you want to know something about the game fee free to ask - I played it enough hehe.

That position is contingent on games they sign to gamepass moving the needle. Mlb is going to move some xbox units, buts it's not going to be some kind of giant surge. It's going to help in US. Halo is their big game, and whatever they sign. Starfield is the ? Of this conversation.
Seeing how everyone is supply constrained anyways, does it matter?

They have unannounced games for this year (FH5 is the rumor) so they should take their time.

If Halo, Starfield and FH5 launch this year, I can wait for Fable and Perfect Dark.

Alandring

So if I resume:
  • 2021 : Halo Infinite.
  • 2022 : Starfield.
  • 2023 : Fable.
  • 2024 : Avowed.

Sounds great to me, especially as we know that Microsoft will also release many AA by year.

To be honest, never heard of that site either.
Gamesindustry.biz is a B2B website, so it's pretty normal that you don't know it if you don't work in the video game industry.

What is presently unknown is Bethesda ready to show and release Starfield late 2021?
No way Starfield will release in 2021. I wouldn't have believed it before covid, but after...

SoraNoKuni

Well Sony started funding and creating studios on PS3 era and while the teams are well established they still need a lot of time to deliver, it's a given that those Microsoft games are far away.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
According to Grubb Bethesda hoping to have Starfield out in 2021. Be shown at E3.
If the schedule sticks that three AAA titles on Xbox after the Summer. Sony only confirmed one so far.
Plus Crossfire X that will have single player campaign made by Remedy. That should have same level of graphics as Call of Duty.
  • Horizon Forbidden West
  • God of War Ragnarok
  • Deathloop (after the delay)
All these games are officially scheduled (as of now) for late 2021.

Then there are unannounced games + smaller titles (like Stalker) scheduled for H2 2021, e.g., Kena, Little Devil Inside, Abandoned, etc.

Old Empire.

https://www.gamesradar.com/starfield-is-reportedly-aiming-to-launch-in-2021/ 23 days ago.

Grubb right he's hearing 2021. Fallout was shown officially at E3 in 2015, and to everyone surprise it was out in three months! Seeing nothing of that game so far, is pretty much meaningless when Bethesda the developer and publisher.

Grubb states that Bethesda is targeting a similar marketing cycle to that of Fallout 4. Back at E3 2015, Fallout 4 was officially unveiled to the world for the very first time, with Bethesda revealing that it would launch in just a few month's time, later that year.

Smoke6

This is why it so silly to brag about a service basically giving away games for free basically yo until the point you release your own after so long of a wait it ends up backfiring!

I don’t get the hellblade love! Where were y’all at when the first one released? Maybe that studio would have stayed independent if that game was that loved then as you claim it to be now over a trailer for the sequel!

but all the bad news of the world is Sony and Jim Ryan cub of reasons yet Sony will have the most games released this year between the two that will stick around until the next batch!

but I guess you can take your time developing a game when it’s already paid for eh?

enjoy gamepass while you can and hope there’s a real solution soon as my brother is not a happy camper with his Xbox systems atm

Matt_Fox

Timestamped:

Xbox insider Kolbrille chimes in:
  • Everwild :2022
  • Fable :2023
  • Perfect Dark: beyond 2023

"so far away, as in, they might even be in a new XBOX by the time these games come out"

Then goes on to specify Everwild 2022 - that's next year?

OP since when is one year "years away".

Look we all know that games take a long time to make but this thread has 'concern' written all over it! Plus the biggest announced Xbox exclusives are surely Halo Infinite and Starfield, not the three games listed here.

Old Empire.

• Horizon Forbidden West
  • God of War Ragnarok
  • Deathloop (after the delay)
All these games are officially scheduled (as of now) for late 2021.

Then there are unannounced games + smaller titles (like Stalker) scheduled for H2 2021, e.g., Kena, Little Devil Inside, Abandoned, etc.

Sony would never release Horizon and God of War in the same year and i place a bet on that right now.

https://www.gamesradar.com/starfield-is-reportedly-aiming-to-launch-in-2021/ 23 days ago.

Grubb right he's hearing 2021. Fallout was shown officially at E3 in 2015, and to everyone surprise it was out in three months! Seeing nothing of that game so far, is pretty much meaningless when Bethesda the developer and publisher.

Since we're comparing fantasy land release dates for 2021

Final Fantasy 16
Deahtloop
Ghostwire
Horizon
God of War

Now please be quiet lol

Last edited:

Papacheeks

Banned

There's a lot of hoping. And crossfire isn't going to make someone buy a sub to gamepass. The reason They saw such big surge in past year or so was from moves with adding EA PLAY, red dead 2, bethesda titles. Again stalker though a fan favorite of a old series of games. Not in the same league as halo for mass appeal. People like us are hyped, but outside of clicks like gaf and podcasts. People have no clue about stalker since it's more of a pc title.

And that game I thought was still a ways off because they started using unreal engine.

Guess we will see. But my get is halo, starfield being the big titles this fall. And I for see some big paid releases on gamepass to fill out rest of slate.

Concern

This is why it so silly to brag about a service basically giving away games for free basically yo until the point you release your own after so long of a wait it ends up backfiring!

I don’t get the hellblade love! Where were y’all at when the first one released? Maybe that studio would have stayed independent if that game was that loved then as you claim it to be now over a trailer for the sequel!

but all the bad news of the world is Sony and Jim Ryan cub of reasons yet Sony will have the most games released this year between the two that will stick around until the next batch!

but I guess you can take your time developing a game when it’s already paid for eh?

enjoy gamepass while you can and hope there’s a real solution soon as my brother is not a happy camper with his Xbox systems atm

I get it I get it.... Hellblade became a bad game once the Ps4 exclusivity was over.

Going by post history of course your "brother" is not a "happy camper" with his Xbox either lol.

And this thread has nothing to do with Sony so why are you here defending Jimmy's honor? There's like 10 threads for that.

Ice Cube Friday GIF

Old Empire.

"so far away, as in, they might even be in a new XBOX by the time these games come out"

Then goes on to specify Everwild 2022 - that's next year?

OP since when is one year "years away".

Look we all know that games take a long time to make but this thread has 'concern' written all over it! Plus the biggest announced Xbox exclusives are surely Halo Infinite and Starfield, not the three games listed here.

In terms of big budget Perfect Dark and Fable are huge titles. Everwild is more on the level of Sea of thieves though could be very popular MMO, we see.

Three

Lol. Ok besides a lot of misinformation here I’ll tell you this about MLB.

I’ve bought it every year since 2009 I think.

This year - nope.

I was on the fence anyway because of the Xbox support - SDS going from a single platform to 4 multi-platform releases in a single iteration- sounds like a bad set up. So I was in a wait and see, play OOTP, and to be honest after COViD I have a bit of baseball fatigue because I played Show 20 so much.

Anyway then I saw the Gamepass deal. To me that has made the show zero value on PS. So I’ll wait until I get it for zero. That might be never, that might be when I get an Xbox, but I’m not gonna pay full price or anything like it on PS at this stage.

As it happens a lot of PS MLB players seem to be quite content to proceed as normal and buy it on PS - Sony probably won’t notice any difference. I’m not though - Sony are making bank out of MS, but they have to pass that on to PS gamers in some way.

Day 1, someone who spends $70 on PS5 gets the base game. Someone with Gamepass who spends $70 gets access to the base game and $70 worth of stubs. Given it’s a yearly title, the value of the game purchased is only one year - it’s not like buying a normal AAA game and playing it over years or even on the next round of consoles. This will be superseded soon so one year rental is fine. Effectively everyone is renting this game for a year, but PS users are paying $60/$70 for it vs Gamepass because MS funded it. Nah not me.

The rest of what you posted is inaccurate - sorry ‘bout that. If you want to know something about the game fee free to ask - I played it enough hehe.
Not sure what was inaccurate about it. Are you saying that it's something about the game mechanics that I've missed and should ask?

It says right there in the Sony presentation slide MLB The Show make bank as "the highest paying user spend of any sports title on the US store" with big "GaaS revenue" . It has gamepass written all over it in terms of GaaS money. Anyway I fully understand your ideal not to buy the game. It will come to PS+ or PSNow sooner perhaps that way too. A clear anecdote of gamepass type games and shifting from actually buying games to GaaS paying subs and microtransactions.

Andodalf

Banned
Sony already released big exclusives for PS5 tho. Unless Demon's Souls still dont count for reasons.

Since you mentioned Horizon that was stated as being cross gen, Miles is still killing it on the charts. Seems Sony also seems better equipped to release cross gen games. And its looking like Sack Boy is doing fine going by PSN download charts.

I guess now Ratchet n Clank and Returnal also dont count. Both still coming this year. Returnal is Housemarque's first shot at AAA.

Sony is not literally in the same situation. They are literally in the opposite situation.
IDGAF about cross gen, I don’t think Horizon is making it this year. Horizon is the only game you mentioned I’d call big, by a long shot

Three

I get it I get it.... Hellblade became a bad game once the Ps4 exclusivity was over.

Going by post history of course your "brother" is not a "happy camper" with his Xbox either lol.

And this thread has nothing to do with Sony so why are you here defending Jimmy's honor? There's like 10 threads for that.

Ice Cube Friday GIF
Somebody didn't actually look at the video it seems. Nothing to do with sony except if you actually look at the context of the OP and video and not come in with your usual mentality of defending xbox's honour.

Concern

Somebody didn't actually look at the video it seems. Nothing to do with sony except if you actually look at the context of the OP and video and not come in with your usual mentality of defending xbox's honour.

Gamesindusty.biz: Biggest announced Xbox exclusives are years away​

context of the video? Lol read the title and listen to what was timestamped. Clearly a thread posted for warring.

Its ok, i know you're just here to defend with your fellow warriors in arms.

Smoke6

Ice Cube Friday GIF
Who said it became a bad game? I hurt you feelings you had to check my post history?

well let me help you out, I’ve owned every system up until the PS3/360 era and went exclusively PS after PS3 started getting its feet!

but I’m no dummy, I hear the empty praises of a service like gamepass and the cry’s fir Jim Ryan’s head and can’t help but shake my head!
Someone has to be level headed in here and it’s sad shit still this way with this forum!!

open y’all’s eyes, no matter what all roads lead to the same discusssion and your mad as I see and understand things from a different lens!

Vae_Victis

Banned
Throwing dates around right now is pointless, everything can change.

On the other hand, the fact that big AAA games that begun development relatively recently and have nothing but CGI to show for themselves are not coming out in the next 6-9 months doesn't require "insider" information, only a brain.

Last edited:

Concern

Who said it became a bad game? I hurt you feelings you had to check my post history?

well let me help you out, I’ve owned every system up until the PS3/360 era and went exclusively PS after PS3 started getting its feet!

but I’m no dummy, I hear the empty praises of a service like gamepass and the cry’s fir Jim Ryan’s head and can’t help but shake my head!
Someone has to be level headed in here and it’s sad shit still this way with this forum!!

open y’all’s eyes, no matter what all roads lead to the same discusssion and your mad as I see and understand things from a different lens!

Nice try, same usual response from the typical warrior. I bought Hellblade day one my Ps4 but nice try.

Its just hilariously entertaining seeing how much the game was praised at launch to it becoming "boring" and "subpar" once it went on Xbox.

Again rambling about Jimmy. Theres threads for that.

Leyasu

Banned
This was not already obvious?

Not only did they let their studios that they picked up first honor their existing contracts, they have also just officially take over the zenimax studios.

I said it in the very first Zenimax thread last year, that acquisition seemed more like preparation for the gen after this one.

Last edited:
I don’t get the hellblade love! Where were y’all at when the first one released?

We bought and played the game, which gave them much needed success and saved the company from closing.

Where will you be when the sequel releases?

Maybe that studio would have stayed independent if that game was that loved then as you claim it to be now over a trailer for the sequel!

Ninja Theory easily met and surpassed the number of sales needed to profit from Hellblade (500k).
They could've stayed independent but every (self funded) release would always be a gamble in today's industry.

It sounds like you're just mad Microsoft was the one who believed in their talent enough to acquire them.

ToadMan

Not sure what was inaccurate about it. Are you saying that it's something about the game mechanics that I've missed and should ask?

It says right there in the Sony presentation slide MLB The Show make bank as "the highest paying user spend of any sports title on the US store" with big "GaaS revenue" . It has gamepass written all over it in terms of GaaS money. Anyway I fully understand your ideal not to buy the game. It will come to PS+ or PSNow sooner perhaps that way too. A clear anecdote of gamepass type games and shifting from actually buying games to GaaS paying subs and microtransactions.

The game mechanics are exactly what I’m saying.

The reason it’s the highest revenue on the (US) store (in 2019) is because it’s exclusive. NBA2k and Madden split their sales across Xbox. This isn’t a game that will drive higher mtx than those - don’t kid yourself.

I think I bought the deluxe edition on perhaps two occasions over 12 years and some stubs once with credit Sony gave me for free. And bizarrely that’s why it does well for Sony.

It’s not a pay2win game and there isn’t a monumental grind to unlock stuff. Look around - everyone agrees the show is far less egregious in making people grind for content than EA or 2K stuff.

Existing GP users who are playing this “for free” on Gamepass aren’t in the main the people who’d have bought mtx. In fact the vast majority wouldn’t have even bought the game - they’re dabblers killing time, that’s why they let someone else choose their games for them.

Last edited:
Nice try, same usual response from the typical warrior. I bought Hellblade day one my Ps4 but nice try.

Its just hilariously entertaining seeing how much the game was praised at launch to it becoming "boring" and "subpar" once it went on Xbox.

Again rambling about Jimmy. Theres threads for that.

I thought it was pretty shit tbh

I hope they're going to go all in with a big budget for the second. I don't want to see them marketing it as another low budget AAA game like they did with the first

Three

Gamesindusty.biz: Biggest announced Xbox exclusives are years away​

context of the video? Lol read the title and listen to what was timestamped. Clearly a thread posted for warring.

Its ok, i know you're just here to defend with your fellow warriors in arms.
Congratulations you read the title of the thread. Now try actually discussing something about what was said in the video and thread instead of doing what you usually do which is come in with console war fodder of attacking people and giving laughing emoji reactions to posts.

Top Bottom