• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gamesindusty.biz: Biggest announced Xbox exclusives are years away

Bartski

Gold Member
Timestamped:

XBOX has a lot of amazing studios and these games are coming but, I've had few conversations with friends at XBOX Games Studios and those games they announced, Everwild, Perfect Dark, Fable are so far away, as in, they might even be in a new XBOX by the time these games come out(jokingly of course lol), they are so far away and when you look at the Hideo Kojima stuff you wonder if they are signing third parties in the moment because they don't have a line-up of big exclusives at all

Xbox insider Kolbrille chimes in:
  • Everwild :2022
  • Fable :2023
  • Perfect Dark: beyond 2023

wipeout364

I guess it really depends on the Microsoft strategy for console releases. It’s a stupid statement if we think of how long last gen was( 8 years) but if he is talking about the next iteration of the Xbox like a pro then maybe but with the crazy supply constraints this year may as well not have happened as far as sales go, so any plans for a new console will likely be pushed back a year or so.

Alright

Banned
Could this be the reason that we're seeing a lot of articles taking aim at Sony's business practices and direction WRT sinple-player exclusives?

If these delays are true, can Microsoft really take this hit to PR? Phil Spencers "great games coming soon" meme is now at Sooony levels, and could be at Valve-time levels if these delays continue to happen.

Well, it has been know that big Bethesda sequels won't be there before 5 (at the very very very very very best or 10 years for some) so yeah, it makes sense to skip this gen. And with GamePass, there is no reason to care about MS hardwares. I fell bad for Xbox fans.

It's why i've stuck with the X1X, There isn't need to pick up an XSX for the time being as the X1X is still more than competent to play the games that have released and will release for the next 12-18 months. By that time there will be a revised XSX, so i'll just pick one of them up.

I think both companies should have delayed the launch of consoles until later this year.

Last edited:

Old Empire.

Timestamped:

Xbox insider Kolbrille chimes in:
  • Everwild :2022
  • Fable :2023
  • Perfect Dark: beyond 2023

What is presently unknown is Bethesda ready to show and release Starfield late 2021?

Xbox will be fine with Crossfire X, Stalker 2, Halo and potentially Starfield all coming in hot after the summer. Since there all exclusives, the impact of delays will not be a big deal.

Microsoft has to show advancement with development at E3 though, CGI bull needs to stop. Some gameplay even if its short one showing off fable and Perfect dark at E3

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
Well yeah, many of us called this. And many of us got into heated debates about this where some thought it was gonna be 2021 as the latest. That Matt Booty quote from Jan 2020 was so dissected it was amazing.

“As our content comes out over the next year, two years, all of our games, sort of like PC, will play up and down that family of devices,” Booty explains. “We want to make sure that if someone invests in Xbox between now and [Series X] that they feel that they made a good investment and that we’re committed to them with content.”

This article is in Jan 2020, before Covid caused shutdowns, before Halo Infinite showing. Been saying 2022 was the minimum. How this kept getting twisted to say he meant 2021 at the latest was beyond wild.

........there were no family of devices before the Series consoles launched.... So Nov 2020 had to be the starting point...... I guess some ppl were counting Nov to Dec 2020 as year one, lol.

CG trailers also told us as much too.

Zenimax/Bethesda to the rescue.

Out of the games mentioned in the OP, I was only interested in Perfect Dark and Fable.

Last edited:

Bartski

Gold Member
Shinobi602 stated that he would be "surprised if Everwild hits next year."
yeah, weren't they still figuring out what it's gonna be last year?
did you already know that nobody would know him? To be honest, never heard of that site either.
of course nobody would, do you know editors of media outlets by name? If you had ever been interested in getting a job in game dev I'm sure you'd know about it

Making games is time consuming process, ms should jave invested many years ago, but it is what it is, if they had the games ready this next year, with sony troubles, they would have really made a dent. But with games 3-4 years away, it gives sony breathing room,

The Daily Show Wtf GIF by The Daily Show with Trevor Noah

Andodalf

Banned
Lol, Everwild and two reboots are in now way Xbox’s biggest games.

It’s also hilarious to see the argument that Ms wanted beth to save them in light of the fact that Sony is literally in that situation this year! If Horizon doesn’t make it, Deathloop is their big AAA game, and Ghostwire could be next!

Three

The niave said that Phil needs time after his acquisition of Ninja Theory, and setting up The Initiative when XB1 was game starved and people were asking what's going on. The games will launch with the Xbox Series they said. Forza 8 not making the usual 2019 release, again, launch with the Series X as is customary they said.

But who cares their business model doesn't need new games competing for sales it only needs engagement. As long as you're playing something I guess.

Ellery

So many rumors and "insider talk" lately. I guess that comes with being in a drought and instead of actual news doing the talking we have a lot of speculation and rumors and hearsay going around.

As with what I said in the Bloomberg Playstation thread. I am not worried. Neither about Xbox nor about Playstation. Phil promised to deliver games and he repeated that promise for the last 6-7 years and they bought Bethesda recently.

I guess buying Bethesda doesn't count, because we would've gotten those games anyway (with the exception of them being multiplat instead of Win+Xbox) so I don't need to list Starfield and TES 6. They are not really newly created games in that sense for Xbox, but rather games that are being "taken away" from being released on other platforms (possibly).

So yeah. No way that we need to wait for big games for another 7 years. Yeah I am aware of the irony of the Xbox One going 7 years without meaningful exclusives even though they promised, but I guess the situation is slightly different and while COVID19 may delay a few things I think 2023-2024 will be stacked for EVERYONE including Xbox and Nintendo.

ToadMan

This was already commented on last year at the gameplay reveals. MS’s games were all early in dev. If they’re really AAA they’re 6 years away and add on a year of COVID slowdown. If they come earlier they’re not AAA. 🤷‍♂️ (Well unless we want to define episodic content as AAA).

MLB The Show is “exclusive” to MS’s subscription service. That’s one way they can top up GP going forward - pay Sony and anyone else immense wads of cash for content to feed the GP monster.

I don’t mind that as long as Sony do the right thing and drop those games to PS for “free” - after all if Gamepass subscribers have paid for it, why shouldn’t PS users see the benefit?

Old Empire.

So the opposite for Sony?

It's pretty interesting how the two flipped compared to last gen. But Microsoft really needs to get some games out soon once supply starts to pick up.

Xbox is a better position even with delays. Halo finite, stalker 2 are massive AAA titles. Starfield would mean even a bigger year for Xbox since its RPG with a space/war/exploration theme coming from the makers of Skyrim and Fallout. Sony needs a new Horizon Zero dawn to come out this year or they be blown away.

Deathloop looks like an AA title, it's doubtful it have same impact, but you never know!

Xbox is a better position even with delays. Halo finite, stalker 2 are massive AAA titles. Starfield would mean even a bigger year for Xbox since its RPG with a space/war/exploration theme coming from the makers of Skyrim and Fallout. Sony needs a new Horizon Zero dawn to come out this year or they be blown away.

Deathloop looks like an AA title, it's doubtful it have same impact, but you never know!

Why are you forgetting about God of War?

Also was StarField announced for this year?

I must have missed it.

Perrott

Gold Member
yeah, weren't they still figuring out what it's gonna be last year?
Yeah, I remember Rare saying something in the lines of them still trying to find out what the gameplay would be like, which is weird considering how they've also said that Everwild has been in the works for 4 years or something like that.

Perrott

Gold Member

With Deathloop (which looks like pretty much any other Arkane title, so I don't know why you say it looks "AA") getting delayed again, there's absolutely no way that Starfield comes out in 2021, which has always been the target release window for the game without taking Covid into consideration.

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year
"head of gamesindusty.biz"
Doesn't he have a name or did you already know that nobody would know him? To be honest, never heard of that site either.

Nowadays it's more like gamepolitics.

It's hilarious to see these people scrambling to piggyback on each other to rumormonger in the attempt to affirm their own relevance. Schreier pulls out some rumors, then someone else harps on them, someone else harps on them some more, and so forth until they become the most dissonant orchestra in media. The games will come when they're ready. Obviously, some will come earlier, some later, and plans change all the time and things are announced when the developers themselves have a better idea of what's coming when. Listening to this prattle is as useful as gambling.

Last edited:

TrebleShot

Microsoft selling us that time share in the Bahamas we’ll never use.

I mean fair enough the console isn’t about exclusives it’s about third party games on GP they’ll likely throw big money at some devs and get timed exclusives but they will be a hard sell considering the other platform is twice if not three times bigger in terms of install base and audience.

looking forward to what they do and if they have any plans for stop gap games from third party as well.

Old Empire.

Why are you forgetting about God of War?

Also was StarField announced for this year?

I must have missed it.

God of war not coming out 2021, it's likely late 2022. Horizon Zero Dawn the only big title coming up for Sony this year. Sony will depend on timed exclusivity for known and unknown titles.

Bethesda known to drop surprises out of the blue and announce launches earlier than thought. It's currently "penciled in for a 2021 release, but with Covid, it may push into 2022.

Concern

Only games I don't expect till at least another 5 years out are Elder Scrolls, Avowed, and probably Everwild which I really don't get all the interest in a trailer with absolutely no gameplay.

Three

This was already commented on last year at the gameplay reveals. MS’s games were all early in dev. If they’re really AAA they’re 6 years away and add on a year of COVID slowdown. If they come earlier they’re not AAA. 🤷‍♂️ (Well unless we want to define episodic content as AAA).

MLB The Show is “exclusive” to MS’s subscription service. That’s one way they can top up GP going forward - pay Sony and anyone else immense wads of cash for content to feed the GP monster.

I don’t mind that as long as Sony do the right thing and drop those games to PS for “free” - after all if Gamepass subscribers have paid for it, why shouldn’t PS users see the benefit?
Because neither MS nor Sony are your friends. People don't realise that every move these companies make are based on their current situation and business plan. At the moment Sony has healthy game sales and they are leaning on sales of next gen games too.

MS and MLB would have struggled to make a dime with MLB on xbox especially as it doesn't have an established fanbase on the console. MLB is one of the biggest earning GaaS sports games. MS and MLB saw that as an opportunity where given that sales are likely to be low anyway they can make GaaS microtransaction money, a perfect fit for gamepass:

After the initial sales on PS5/PS4 you might see it on Plus like MLB 19 or 20 or earlier on PSNow.

Papacheeks

Banned

That position is contingent on games they sign to gamepass moving the needle. Mlb is going to move some xbox units, buts it's not going to be some kind of giant surge. It's going to help in US. Halo is their big game, and whatever they sign. Starfield is the ? Of this conversation.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
Lol, Everwild and two reboots are in now way Xbox’s biggest games.

It’s also hilarious to see the argument that Ms wanted beth to save them in light of the fact that Sony is literally in that situation this year! If Horizon doesn’t make it, Deathloop is their big AAA game, and Ghostwire could be next!
Sony already released big exclusives for PS5 tho. Unless Demon's Souls still dont count for reasons.

Since you mentioned Horizon that was stated as being cross gen, Miles is still killing it on the charts. Seems Sony also seems better equipped to release cross gen games. And its looking like Sack Boy is doing fine going by PSN download charts.

I guess now Ratchet n Clank and Returnal also dont count. Both still coming this year. Returnal is Housemarque's first shot at AAA.

Sony is not literally in the same situation. They are literally in the opposite situation.

Last edited:
God of war not coming out 2021, it's likely late 2022. Horizon Zero Dawn the only big title coming up for Sony this year. Sony will depend on timed exclusivity for known and unknown titles.

Bethesda known to drop surprises out of the blue and announce launches earlier than thought. It's currently "penciled in for a 2021 release, but with Covid, it may push into 2022.

Lol don't talk about Stalker 2 or Starfield if you're not going to accept God of War

Also on top of the timed exclusives they have Ratchet & Clank, Returnal and Horizon. It's a piss poor year for Xbox. They'll have their moment when their studios start hitting their stride

Alright

Banned
So yeah. No way that we need to wait for big games for another 7 years. Yeah I am aware of the irony of the Xbox One going 7 years without meaningful exclusives even though they promised
Mattrick promised games for the 360 and Kinect 1.0 and they never came. It always frustrated me that House of the Dead or Time Crisis wasn't bought/ported to Kinect on day 1

Papacheeks

Banned
Lol...this without counting halo (no big hit?? lol) forza (no big hit?) , hellblade II (no big hit?)
and other second party unannounced games

Since MS strategy is based on subs. What game will make someone continue their subscription or make them subscribe?

It's not hellblade that would move the needle to make someone sign up for gamepass.

Halo would move the needle. Hellblade has a decent following but to say it has more star power than something like Forza/halo is reaching.

Sony has shown more known games or should I say games with more mass appeal.

That's why Microsoft made deals for outriders, MLB. And I think we have not seen the ends of these deals for this year. If their first party is that far behind, then they are going to have to spend a fuck ton to compete software wise.

thelastword

Banned
Well that much could be deduced....Rare is not even sure what type of game they want to make with Everwild. Forza 8 might be available this year and maybe Halo Infinite....I really felt prior to launch based on the rumormill that Fable was closer along, but what we saw suggests it's not even close to launch....I happen to think we may see a new Forza before Fable.....

tenor.gif

Top Bottom