• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gamescom 2020 preparations ‘continuing as planned’

Mista

Banned
gamescom-2019-1920x1280.jpg

Responding to enquiries about how the Covid-19 outbreak could affect this year’s event, which is scheduled to take place from August 25-29 in Cologne, Germany, organiser Koelnmesse said visitor safety is its “top priority”.
Since Gamescom takes place at the end of August, we are currently not affected by this decree. However, we will of course follow the recommendations of the responsible authorities regarding major events, evaluate them on a daily basis and make our decisions after careful consideration. The preparations for Gamescom 2020 are continuing as planned according to the current status for the determined date.

gamescom-2020-plans.jpg

Rat Rage

Sorry for the copy-paste from the other thread, but I think it's still relevant.

You forgot the #1 confirmed exhibitor: The Coranavirus. This extraordinary guest will exhibit something very special: a drastic spreading of infections like you've never seen before!!

Everyone who has been at Gamescom knows how fucking crowded and narrow it is there. When over 200.000 gamers gather on the weekend, the whole place is full like a japanese train during rush hour.

Don't believe me? Take a look (this is how it looks ALL DAY at Gamescom)

images

rjavvglrjtlxz4oqxgxm.jpg

eine-menschenmenge-steht-vor-einem-bildschirm-und-schaut-sich-ein-league-of-legends-spiel-an-sie-sind-dabei-blau-und-rot-beleuchtet.webp

gamescom2014show.jpg

I propose the following for this year's Gamescom subtitle: "SAY GOODBYE TO YOUR LIFE AND HELLO TO THE CORONAVIRUS"

It's even worse: you have 200.000 gamers touch and play with consoles and all kinds of gaming equipment, spreading their germs like crazy. Sounds like fun, eh?

Shin

Banned
Not entirely, the expectation is that the next wave of the virus will hit in October.
The news seems to be more widespread than the virus itself looking at the infection map(s).

Vawn

Banned
Sorry for the copy-paste from the other thread, but I think it's still relevant.

You forgot the #1 confirmed exhibitor: The Coranavirus. This extraordinary guest will exhibit something very special: a drastic spreading of infections like you've never seen before!!

Everyone who has been at Gamescom knows how fucking crowded and narrow it is there. When over 200.000 gamers gather on the weekend, the whole place is full like a japanese train during rush hour.

images

rjavvglrjtlxz4oqxgxm.jpg

eine-menschenmenge-steht-vor-einem-bildschirm-und-schaut-sich-ein-league-of-legends-spiel-an-sie-sind-dabei-blau-und-rot-beleuchtet.webp

gamescom2014show.jpg

I propose the following for this year's Gamescom subtitle: "SAY GOODBYE TO YOUR LIFE AND HELLO TO THE CORONAVIRUS"

It's even worse: you have 200.000 gamers touch and play with consoles and all kinds of gaming equipment, spreading their germs like crazy. Sounds like fun, eh?

With or without the coronavirus, I can think of few places I'd want to be at less.

Puskas

images

rjavvglrjtlxz4oqxgxm.jpg

gamescom2014show.jpg

Germ(an)s everywhere.

Woo-Fu

Banned
It's in August, unless you live in a cave and only come out once a year for Gamescom you'll probably have already been exposed.

images

rjavvglrjtlxz4oqxgxm.jpg

gamescom2014show.jpg

Listen, I've been into videogames since the 80s. I like them a lot. I may not play hardcore amounts of videogames nowadays but it always seems to be a constant in my life. My go to. Putting aside the lunacy of holding an event like this with coronavirus all over I have no idea how anyone could put up with that shit on a regular day.

That looks absolutely dreadful. You have got to really really like videogames to stand in that no doubt boggy convention center shoulder to shoulder with thousands of people to watch a videogame announcement or a friggin league of legends match. Wild stuff.

Last edited:

CuNi

Guys no one will be there anyway we're all gettin quarantined lol

What?
3 of my friends and I just bought our Tickets.. no Hazmat-Suit or Military is going to stop me from going to play games that will release only a few months later!!
Maybe there will be less visitors though and you can finally wait in a normal line without the need to rub your shoulder against sweaty people that either have a unhealthy fear of water or a very optimistic sweat production.

Zannegan

I mean, they didn't say they won't cancel no matter what, just that they haven't cancelled yet, and they're keeping their options open. I'm sure they'll pull the chute when we get closer and things are no better.

Let's not burn them at the stake just yet, not based on that statement.

Top Bottom