• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[GamesBeat] Respawn working on a new FPS focusing on “mobility” and “style”

Jose92

[Membe

Respawn has only ever confirmed small tidbits about Alavi’s game. It is a third project alongside continuing development of Apex Legends and the sequel to Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order. The studio has also previously said it is a single-player adventure. In addition to those details, I’ve learned it is a first-person shooter with triple-A ambitions, and the design team is striving for “mobility” and “style” as guiding principles.

This third game is not, however, a sequel to Titanfall 1 and 2.

season 13 dont get too excited buddy GIF by America's Got Talent

It is not a Titanfall sequal

Last edited:
I suspect they've looked at the performance of arena shooters over the last 5 years and will not go in that direction.
Good. The base balancing of Arena is a good thing for the shooter sandbox. Over time it just eats itself though. A shooter needs more than just squad hyper competitive twitch shit 100% of the time.

Wish it was TF3, TF2 was a brilliant campaign. I'm super happy if it's anything as good as Apex Legends though. Both have overtaken modern Halo for me. I hope they don't go too crazy with the mobility though. The dialling back of mobility from TF2 to Apex is a large part of why it works so well. I cannot imagine giving rise to all players all the time to portal, grapple, wall run, double jump and more. It eventually breaks maps or limits on encounters. When you and your enemy have a million options it's too much. Apex works as you inherently identify the character traits of movement or abilities and play the meta from there. I don't want a matrices of meta or being attacked from all sorts of random vectors during engagements.

I do trust Respawn, probably the most out of any studio around, to get the mechanics and balancing right. I don't expect 100% but they've shown some awesome launch quality, sustain and content with the last 3 games. TF2, Fallen Order and Apex Legends. What a fucking run. Can't wait to see what they have next, whether that's campaign, PvE or PvP.

Last edited:

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

The new game is in development according to job listings that are hiring devs for the project. There are few details to be gleaned about what kind of game it will be, beyond it being a first-person shooter and single-player, based on the description of an ‘incubation unit’ for the new game.

Respawn had previously announced that they were working on a new single-player game, although it’s unclear if this is the same in-development title, or another one.

The job listing for a senior engine/systems designer on the Respawn website describes it as “Apex Universe FPS Incubation title” – presumably a small team working on the game before it is ready for an official announcement.

Little else can be learned about the game from the job description, other than this particular role will look after a “wide variety of systems, including collision, physics, audio,” and other technical development aspects.

Other roles for the team describe it as a “brand new Respawn single-player adventure”.

TheKratos

Still waiting for a proper shooter where your player isn't a weightless bunny hopping auto aim cunt. Hope MW2 can deliver, MW1 certainly didn't, though I could find some enjoyment from the MP.

You know when Respawn is going to make a cool new multiplayer shooter like Titanfall 3? Right after Bethesda releases a new single player Elder Scrolls game. And by that I mean EA is never letting it happen as long as the absence pushes people to Apex and its microtransactions, just like Elder Scrolls fans are pushed toward Elder Scrolls Online and its microtransactions.

You'll play Apex and you'll like it! Or you won't, but EA won't do a thing to fix Titanfall or let Respawn release any other mutliplayer game aside from their broken stale cash cow.

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
probably another military/colourful side shave hair on a female character/futuristic kinda game

Jennings

I see a lot of people assuming style means player aesthetics, when my first thought went to stylistcc maneuverability and map traversal; building off the graceful parkour of Titanfall.

Top Bottom