• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GamesBeat (Grubb) Article on Starfield Exclusivity

fatmarco

I swear to god, there are only like 5 stories/discussions that keep getting regurgitated and recycled through this forum at this point.

Last edited:
Don't worry, he is already working on his Doom, Wolfenstein and ES articles. Why? I have no idea, but the dirty panda knows best, I guess...

Godot25

Banned
Yeah. This article was necessary, because even after multiple posts, Spencer's quote and 7,5 billion reason why to grow your own ecosystem instead of supporting competing ecosystems for quick buck there are still people who refuse to believe, that Starfield and TES VI won't be on PlayStation 5.

It was clear from September. Only delusional people believed future Bethesda games will come to PS5 with arguments like "Spencer needs to pay that 7,5 billion back to Nadella's pocket" when in reality that money works differently when you are talking corporate terms.

Even argument "they can't abandon 115 million PlayStation owners" was naive at best and stupid at worst. Because next-gen is main game and if I recall correctly, there are probably 8-9 million PlayStation 5 owners and that's number Microsoft can ignore. Especially when they are targeting PC and cloud too.

yurinka

every word in this post ...give off emotions ..... if you need a hug we are here
Please don't cry. And go back to your troll cavern.

Who makes Starfield? Because I'm fairly certain it's Zenimax/Bethesda (which is now Xbox obviously). Also the reason he said we can't say all of them are exclusive is because WE LITERALLY KNOW OF TWO GAMES COMING TO PS5, plus there could be some unannounced game that ends up on PS5 for contractual reasons, not because most future games are coming there or some other delusion. Also that cherry picked quote of yours was said before the deal was official, before they could announce any of their actual plans, by somebody with less authority over the direction of Xbox than Phil Spencer, but since it's the only quote that supports your hypothesis, it's the only one you'll use
Like it or not, this is the only official info about it.

The quotes are from Phil Spencer, executive vice-president of Gaming, and from the Xbox CFO (Chief of Finantials Operations), the top authority regarding Xbox moneys. One quote is from this March and the other one is from November. The purchase was made on September, months before that.

They aren't cherry picked, both are the only clear sentences they have regarding this topic. One says their strategy with Bethesda/Zenimax will be to release 'first or better' on Xbox and the other one said he can't sit there and say all games will be exclusive, that they will continue supporting existing communities and that have some contractual stuff to publish their games on other consoles (seems that beyond the announced games). And then Phil added they will (obviously) release their exclusive games on 'platforms where GP exists'.

Both quotes matches with the idea of them releasing games at least some of the future Bethesda Games (not only the two known ones, because Phil first talks about current games and then switches to future games saying there will be more contractual and legacy/existing IP stuff on other consoles) either at launch or after a timed console exclusive on PS5. There are ZERO quotes of them saying they won't release more games on PS5 and ZERO quotes saying Starfield will be a permanent Xbox console exclusive. They could release it only on Xbox and PC at launch and half a year or a year later on PS5. Or even at launch, specially knowing it was already under development for PS5 too at least before the purchase and Sony was negotiating a PS timed exclusive for the game just before the purchase was made.

Last edited:

Andodalf

Banned
Everyone fighting over this game being exclusive or not. I'm wondering what the fuck the game even is. The hype being manufactured for this feels like Titanfall but on a smaller scale.

Lol, there’s nothing manufactured about people being hyped for a new Bethesda game. They’re one of the biggest devs in the game. Literally just saying “from the makers of Skyrim” gives more hype than just about any other first party

yurinka

But it wasn't completed until March. Until then they weren't allowed to talk specifics. How is that hard to grasp?
Bullshit, they made a press release to announce it in September and made several interviews talking about that topic before March. In fact the quote of the CFO talking about their strategy is from one of them in November.

But if by specifics you mean to announce new games, release dates or the platforms where they will release them, they said nothing since the purchase, before or after March. But they could have said whenever they wanted because it isn't doesn't affect tothe acquisition. They didn't announce anything because they prefer to wait, more likely to be closer to the releases or to make them in some special event like E3.

Last edited:

ManaByte

Bullshit, they made a press release to announce it in September and made several interviews talking about that topic before March. In fact the quote of the CFO talking about their strategy is from one of them in November.

But if by specifics you mean to announce new games, release dates or platforms where they will release their games they said nothing since the purchase, before or after March.

They couldn't talk about exclusivity before the deal closed because that could've swayed regulators to stop the merger. That's why the instant it closed Spencer CONFIRMED the games are exclusive to platforms where GamePass exist. Stop the fucking delusion.

Greggy

. They could release it only on Xbox and PC at launch and half a year or a year later on PS5. Or even at launch, specially knowing it was already under development for PS5 too at least before the purchase and Sony was negotiating a PS timed exclusive for the game just before the purchase was made.
If PS5 hosts Game Pass by then, why not. I mean which part of "we did this so GP can exclusives" do you guys not get? Porting games to other consoles costs money and time that could be use to.. let me check: yep, provide more exclusive games to Game Pass, which was the goal of the acquisition. The idea that Microsoft will fund the Playstation library is amusing. The legacy games will be maintained and that already is extremely generous from MS. They won't get anything back from it. The Playstation communities of those games won't remain engaged once it's confirmed that they're not receiving the new Bethesda games (that process has probably already started). It would absolutely shock everyone on earth if Insomniac released any patch for Sunset Overdrive since having been acquired by Sony (they had stopped long before that but you get my point).
There's still plenty of open platforms on which Zenimax games will be released.

Mattyp

Gold Member
Please don't cry. And go back to your troll cavern.

Like it or not, this is the only official info about it.

The quotes are from Phil Spencer, executive vice-president of Gaming, and from the Xbox CFO (Chief of Finantials Operations), the top authority regarding Xbox moneys. One quote is from this March and the other one is from November. The purchase was made on September, months before that.

They aren't cherry picked, both are the only clear sentences they have regarding this topic. One says their strategy with Bethesda/Zenimax will be to release 'first or better' on Xbox and the other one said he can't sit there and say all games will be exclusive, that they will continue supporting existing communities and that have some contractual stuff to publish their games on other consoles (seems that beyond the announced games). And then Phil added they will (obviously) release their exclusive games on 'platforms where GP exists'.

Both quotes matches with the idea of them releasing games at least some of the future Bethesda Games (not only the two known ones, because Phil first talks about current games and then switches to future games saying there will be more contractual and legacy/existing IP stuff on other consoles) either at launch or after a timed console exclusive on PS5. There are ZERO quotes of them saying they won't release more games on PS5 and ZERO quotes saying Starfield will be a permanent Xbox console exclusive. They could release it only on Xbox and PC at launch and half a year or a year later on PS5. Or even at launch, specially knowing it was already under development for PS5 too at least before the purchase and Sony was negotiating a PS timed exclusive for the game just before the purchase was made.

I thought we had all moved past this stage of denial?

yurinka

If PS5 hosts Game Pass by then, why not. I mean which part of "we did this so GP can exclusives" do you guys not get? Porting games to other consoles costs money and time that could be use to.. let me check: yep, provide more exclusive games to Game Pass, which was the goal of the acquisition. The idea that Microsoft will fund the Playstation library is amusing. The legacy games will be maintained and that already is extremely generous from MS. They won't get anything back from it. The Playstation communities of those games won't remain engaged once it's confirmed that they're not receiving the new Bethesda games (that process has probably already started). It would absolutely shock everyone on earth if Insomniac released any patch for Sunset Overdrive since having been acquired by Sony (they had stopped long before that but you get my point).
There's still plenty of open platforms on which Zenimax games will be released.
They didn't say '"we did this so GP can exclusives", and timed console exclusives are also "more exclusive games to Game Pass", and doesn't mean all their games will be (timed or not) console exclusives for platforms with Game Pass.

Last edited:

Hosam6xavi

Banned
Man i can't wait for E3.

Microsoft and Nintendo will have so many titles to announce

WM3q0Zv.gif

Kataploom

Gold Member
6+ years of development. Hundreds of millions spent on production. All to give it away for free on GamePass. Nobody is buying a console just to play Starfield, how will they recoup the costs if it isn't going multiplat?
The problem with his logic is thinking their priority is to sell games, but a platform.

Phil already said games are gonna be on every device that runs game pass, so it's exclusive. Whatever else people think are just frustrated wishes

Last edited:
Almost as hilarious as all the Xboys getting excited about exclusivity of a bunch of games they were were going to be able to play anyway.

Smart people will be playing on their 120hz Gsync-compatible ultrawides on PC anyway 😎.

P.S the last Fallout games have been shit.
Lol have fun playing wacket and spank 12 again while we are raging Skyrim in Space.

He just clearly stated that they wanted to deliver great exclusive games that ship on platforms where Gamepass exists.

He doesn't specifically state that Starfield isn't going to be a PS5 game. He just mentions "Exclusive games"

That could mean literally anything! He's speaking in tongues!

giphy.gif

Not sure why people are so worked up over this in the first place. It seems to me from reading posts since this acquisition that just about every Playstation owner on GAF also owns a "high-end gaming PC". If that's the case they'll be able to play the games on that along with improved versions of all your favorite Sony games once Sony starts releasing everything on PC. Sony hasn't specifically stated that it's games aren't coming to Gamepass either BTW. Unless someone can direct me to where Jim Ryan specifically stated their exclusive games aren't releasing on Gamepass in the future I think it's just as reasonable to claim they will as it is to claim Xbox exclusives will appear on the Playstation.

EDMIX

Xbox wont miss out on the gargantuan ps5 player base. Starfield now, Halo later.

Likely. The fact that Psychonauts 2 is still coming to PS, tells me that if Starfield legit is a 2021 title (which I doubt greatly), its very likely that for years they had a PS version that they are unlikely to scrap. So from what we've seen from several deals, when they come this early after a deal, you see those versions still actually get released.

Why the fuck is this even news? Is it because people thought they wouldn't drop a playstation version because if how deep into development it was? Even if it was complete, they would still cancel it.

Microsoft buying Bethesda was to benefit themselves. To give them more studios and more games you cant play on playstation. Not only do they take beloved ip away from playstation but they can use those ip to bolster gamepass and its value. Games like elder scrolls and fallout missing playstation is a massive loss for PS and a huge gain for XB.

sainraja

This thread is the biggest echo chamber between Xbox fans....err boys I've seen. Creating a narrative that doesn't exist to place importance on something that none of us know anything about. Just wait and see what the game is actually about before rallying for war! lol

Last edited:

ManaByte

This thread is the biggest echo chamber between Xbox fans....err boys I've seen. Creating a narrative that doesn't exist to place importance on something that none of us know anything about.

Conan Obrien What Are You Talking About GIF by Team Coco

We have Spencer on video saying "THIS IS ABOUT DELIVERING EXCLUSIVE GAMES TO PLATFORMS WHERE GAMEPASS EXISTS"

sainraja

Conan Obrien What Are You Talking About GIF by Team Coco

We have Spencer on video saying "THIS IS ABOUT DELIVERING EXCLUSIVE GAMES TO PLATFORMS WHERE GAMEPASS EXISTS"
OK?

I know the game is exclusive to Xbox. But you've demonstrated my point very clearly. Even when something isn't said, it is assumed to support the narrative that doesn't exist! LOL

All I simply said was we don't know anything about the game right now.

Last edited:

sainraja

...but it was said.
No, not really.

If you are going back to when Microsoft's purchase of Bethesda was first announced, the confusion around exclusivity was only regarding IPs that exist on other platforms and their future, not IPs that are fresh & new. And only few, as far as I have seen, haven't ruled out Starfield on other platforms simply due to discussions or rumors about Sony wanting to make it timed before the Bethesda purchase.

These are things to discuss, not absolute statements by people but it is not surprising to me that fanboys pick it all up as gospel.

Last edited:

ManaByte

If you are going back to when Microsoft's purchase of Bethesda was first announced

I'm not. I'm talking about the most recent statement in March, which is after the deal closed. But certain people want to ignore that and instead dig up statements made BEFORE the deal closed that had to be ambiguous in order to not jeopardize the merger in front of regulators.

sainraja

I'm not. I'm talking about the most recent statement in March, which is after the deal closed. But certain people want to ignore that and instead dig up statements made BEFORE the deal closed that had to be ambiguous in order to not jeopardize the merger in front of regulators.
The most recent statement regarding exclusivity which caused a little confusion (as far as I recall) was regarding legacy titles. Starfield is a completely new IP, it has no existing presence on any other platform.

ManaByte

The most recent statement regarding exclusivity which caused a little confusion (as far as I recall) was regarding legacy titles. Starfield is a completely new IP, it has no existing presence on any other platform.

Yes he said they'd still support legacy titles MEANING TESO AND FO76. Starfield is new and thus is exclusive.

elliot5

It's 99% chance it's exclusive to Xbox + PC.

On the 1% chance it's also on PlayStation, that's awesome. PlayStation users get to play it. That has no effect on me. I still get it Day 1 "for free". More people that can play, the better.

I just don't think it's likely at all and wouldn't be a good business move, but IF it happens then I'm not gonna be pressed. I don't know why there's so much frustration over this situation lol.

sainraja

Yes he said they'd still support legacy titles MEANING TESO AND FO76. Starfield is new and thus is exclusive.
You are repeating what I said:

Like I said, this thread is the biggest echo chamber I've seen of the usual people repeating something long enough that they start believing it. Most people understand Starfield is going to be exclusive to Xbox.

Last edited:

driqe

Likely. The fact that Psychonauts 2 is still coming to PS, tells me that if Starfield legit is a 2021 title (which I doubt greatly), its very likely that for years they had a PS version that they are unlikely to scrap. So from what we've seen from several deals, when they come this early after a deal, you see those versions still actually get released.
My post was sarcastic. Kinda sad that I have to point that out.

That right there is the reason platform exclusives do exist:
Microsoft likely did investigate what its financials would look like if it made Bethesda games exclusive or not. In the end, it chose exclusivity. And yes, that means it will miss out on money from sales on PlayStation 5. But the point is that Microsoft doesn’t see that as losing money — it sees that as built in marketing for Game Pass. And then it also expects to offset many of those costs by building a deeper relationship with more players who then go on to play and buy even more games on Xbox platforms.
I case people forgot or did not understand, exclusives are publicity for your platform.

EDMIX

My post was sarcastic. Kinda sad that I have to point that out.

Yet Psychonaunts 2 exist as a game coming to PS, kinda sad how I have to point that out.

Its not unusual for such things to occur if some deal was already in place before an acquisition or something. So of a title that has been in development for years, coming in 2021, so soon after the buyout, it might be very likely that they are either too far into development to scrap it or have some deal in place etc. So its not a 100% thing, it can go either way as we literally fucking have an example of it going the other way already....

elliot5

Yet Psychonaunts 2 exist as a game coming to PS, kinda sad how I have to point that out.

Its not unusual for such things to occur if some deal was already in place before an acquisition or something. So of a title that has been in development for years, coming in 2021, so soon after the buyout, it might be very likely that they are either too far into development to scrap it or have some deal in place etc. So its not a 100% thing, it can go either way as we literally fucking have an example of it going the other way already....
It's never too late to scrap something, especially with the financial backing of Microsoft. Sunk cost fallacy and all that.

It's possible there's a deal in place. The thing is, unlike Psychonauts 2 and other titles there has never been any publicly detailed platform releases. Deathloop and GWT were publicly exclusive to PlayStation. Psychonauts 2 promised backers a PlayStation version. Starfield doesn't have any public platform announcement, so it's much less likely to fall in the same category.

Top Bottom